Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Eternal Security Of The Believer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eternal Security Of The Believer  (Read 22287 times)
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2004, 12:50:09 PM »

You have really left me confused.

You have made the point for OSAS, yet you say inspite of what you have said, you still insist there is no eternal security.

If it is possible to fall away, it is only because,  their past, present and future sins were NOT covered by the Blood of Jesus. Thus those who fall away, were never known by the Lord.  (1 Jhn 2:18-19)

The verses you give do not shore up your argument at all.

The will of God, is that none should perish, this is why He commands all men everywhere to repent, those that do not, will never and can never be saved, those that do have done the will of the Father.

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

The matter is settled, in His words, which say;

I never knew you, He didn't say;

I use to know you, but now I don't

Never KNEW, means exactly that, they were not KNOWN  by Jesus before, and never will be...

Thanks for your comments anyhow.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 12:59:25 PM by Petro » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2004, 08:59:48 PM »

Speaking of the Fathers WILL

Jesus said;

Jhn 6
39  And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Jhn 10
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

again,

2 Tim 2
19  Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Christians need to do the will of God, this is for sure, and thre Lord knows His own, and will never give them up, because they are given to Him, by the Father, it is Gods will He  (Jesus) lose nothing, this is why the law cannot thwart, Gods Will, and why the Holy Spirit seals all true believers, all others are imposters, even thou they may say they know God  this will evidenced by Jesus's own words on the day of judgment when He will say to many;

I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It is imperative we believe every word spoken by Jesus, since this is the will of God, and the only way, we can know His will.

Ex`18
17  And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
18  I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
19  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

God Bless,

Petro

Depart from me

Bronzesnake
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2004, 03:41:37 PM »

Hello Petro.

This is really my last response on this topic.

Petro quote...
 Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I never knew you,

The point is Petro, they believed they were saved just as much as you believe you are saved.

So I have pointed out two deadly scenarios. 1) We can lose our eternal security, and not because Jesus' sacrafice wasn't enough to cover all sin.

2) We can deceive ourselves into believing we are saved, when in fact we are not.

May God bless you Petro.

Get Thee Behind Me.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2004, 10:26:20 PM »

Hello Petro.

This is really my last response on this topic.

Petro quote...

I never knew you,

The point is Petro, they believed they were saved just as much as you believe you are saved.

So I have pointed out two deadly scenarios. 1) We can lose our eternal security, and not because Jesus' sacrafice wasn't enough to cover all sin.

2) We can deceive ourselves into believing we are saved, when in fact we are not.

May God bless you Petro.

Get Thee Behind Me.

bronzesanke,

Thanks for your honesty, it was like pulling a tooth, but I will accept your answer, as a final answer of what you would teach.

This is quite different than your previous answers. Understanding this chnages the perception of what Heb 6 is teaching.

I hope you understand that this is exactly the point I was making, people can be deceived into believing they are saved, when the truth is,  they are not.

One can always understand this, if one examines their doctrines, concerning what they do, with the Words spoken by Jesus.

If they do not believe Jesus, the odds are they are not saved, but deceived.

It is imperitive to examine oneself to ascertain where one stands with God.

It is God the Holy Spirit who works in every child of God to will and to do of His good pleasure.  (Phil2:13)

This is the test; everyone who has an intense desire to hear and do, Gods Word, is a child of God.

Those who do not, hear nor do Gods word, especially the Words Jesus spoke, are none of His, because they have not His Spirit.

It is the goodness of God that leadeth men to repentance.

God Bless,

Petro

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2004, 11:57:15 AM »

Everyday Newborn,

Hey man!  Sorry so long in reply.  I'm not avoiding ya, trust me!  Smiley  You have many things for me to reply to, so please, bear with me.  

ALLINALL, my coffee buddy!  How have you been?

I do have a question for you about what you said in your post about, "how then can I ever make a free-will choice to be unbought?"

Do you still sin after you have accepted Christ?  If you lose your free will after you have been bought, are you saying that God is sinning through you?

First off, I've been blessed!  How have you been?

As for the sinning, yes I do!  And I'm not saying that God makes me sin.  That would, in fact, be contrary to scripture:

Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire.

James 1:13-14

Then you went on to ask:

Before we accept Christ, are our sins forgiven?  No.  Why not?  Because we haven't accepted Christ and asked for his forgiveness and repented.  Now after we accept Christ, do you think we still need to ask forgiveness for the sins we commit, and repent of them?  Do you think we still need to try and turn from our evil ways whatever they may be?

Paid for, yes.  Forgiven, no.  Not until we accept Christ.  Do we then need to ask forgiveness for sins, and repent? Yes.  Do we need to turn from our evil ways?  Yes - in that we "put off the old man and put on the new."  

In 1 Cor 6:19-20, the last part said for us to glorify God in our bodies.  Is he not speaking to us that WE need to glorify God in our bodies?  Doesn't that make it something we have to do?  If we have no free will and only God works through us, is God commanding himself to glorify himself through us?

As for the 1 Cor. 6:19-20 passage, yes, he is saying that we must glorify God in our bodies.  Contextually, that is in reference to our being sexually pure.  Just clarifying what others may not be sure about.  Smiley  And yes, that is something we have to do.  

Now.  You're probably wondering why I'm agreeing with you, and at the same time disagreeing, right?  Good!  We are making progress then.  My point isn't if we have free will my friend, just to what extent God allows that will to be enacted.  You said "Doesn't that make it something we have to do?"    I agree that we must do something, I simply don't agree to what end that doing results.  Following me?  That is, why do I do?  Is it to maintain something I didn't buy, provide, or otherwise control?  Or is it to simply obey?

Continued...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2004, 12:33:28 PM »

...THE AFORE MENTIONED CONTINUATION...

I believe that our "doing" is simple obedience, not for the sake of maintaining the salvation Jesus bought for us with His blood, by God's plan, but for the purpose of "conforming us into the image of His Son."  How so?

You have to understand what the Law's purpose was, and how Jesus fulfilled that Law, completed that Law, and made that Law today of no effect.  The Law was both prophetic and provisionary in nature.  It pointed to the Lord Jesus Christ and His ultimate sacrifice to come, while providing for sin then by covering that sin.  Covering, mind you.  Not taking that sin away.  Jesus alone could do that.  Consider:

For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sin? But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sin every year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,   "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
   but a body have you prepared for me;
in burnt offerings and sin offerings
   you have taken no pleasure.
Then I said, 'Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
   as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.'"
When he said above, "You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings" (these are offered according to the law), then he added, "Behold, I have come to do your will." He abolishes the first in order to establish the second.  And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.  And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

Hebrews 10:1-14

Jesus completed the Law with His death, burial and resurrection.  His blood perfected what the blood of animals could not - those who are being sanctified.  This is key.  I'm throwing alot at you, and now would be a good time to stop, ask you a question, and let you mull this information over.  My question, after you've had a chance to think about this part, is...what does it mean, "perfected for all time those who are being sanctified"?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:40:46 PM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2004, 02:39:49 AM »

Petro,

I have a response to your last post to me, and I have some questions to ask.  But I will not continue this discussion with you if you continue in your sarcasm and accusations.  You have shown me no desire to seek the truth, and you have not displayed any humbleness or love whatsoever.

Now, if you want to continue with this discussion I'd be happy to, if you so desire to in love and not arrogance.  

If I have preceived this wrongly, please let me know.

God bless

everyday newborn,

What is the truth??

It is clear to me you, do not have it...whether it is because of unbelief or lack of faith, I cannot say..........but truth that is revealed by the same Spirit which raised Jesus from the dead, is not to be rebuffed for the embracing of man made teachings.

You have shown me no desire to seek the truth,

It is fruitless to discuss such an important subject with someone, who believes he/she has it, I am not seeking truth, I am sharing it with you....

God loves you and desires you know it, and not allow yourself to be led by every whim of mans teachings, this is why  Jesus said;

Take heed that no man deceive you.

Of course, I trust you have a a reliable version of the scriptures which can be used to check, what has been shared with you.

But thanks for your comments, anyhow..

Blessings,

Petro

Again, you lack love and humbleness in your response.

Its the same old argument, you desire to argue over, this is the reason you posted what you did, not because you want to learn, you have had these arguments before. So quit acking as thou you are the inujured party.

Truth is in the word of God, and you said yourself it's fruitless to discuss something like this with someone who claims to have it, which then in the very next part of the sentence you said you did and I didn't.  You hypocrite!  I say I'm seeking the truth because I don't claim to know everything and this is a learning process for me, and will be till the day I die.  But you claim to know it all and again exposed your arrogance.

God bless

everydaynewborn,

My answer to you, was based on your answer, that I quoted , and will quoite again;

[quoted] posted by everday newborn,

You have shown me no desire to seek the truth,

Yopu insinuated here that you were teaching truth; thus my answer to you.

The truth is, if you are saved once, you are saved forever, God doesn't do things half baked.

The idea God saves a person one moment to unsave the next is a doctrine, thats been around since the first century, and is perpetuated by those that want to work their way into Gods presence.

A hypocrite is one who, will say something one moment and then change it the next.

Lose your salvation proponents, say they are saved by grace out of one side of their mouth, while preaching a gospel, that I believed, as their part;  of deal, if this is true; the it stand to reason, that if they produced saving faith, they can lose it, and then repent and regain it again, so the round and around they go, a never ending cycle.

Someone shares the truth with them, and they get upset, to hear,  that God has saved for ever, it is almost as though one needs to re evangelize them all over, in most cases, they are totally unreceptive to the truth.

This is where they get stuck, and never grow out of this, and never have tiome for anything else, because they have to tend to their own selves, for fear of falling out of grace.

As for learning being a lifetime, this is true, but slavation by Grace thru Faith, is foundational to the begining of this learning experience.

We just talked about;

You need to accept Gods Woprd as the truth, and move on, perhaps you might start tonight at these verse;

Heb 6
1  Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
2  Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
3  And this will we do, if God permit.

I trust this will help you.

Petro
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:43:19 AM by Petro » Logged

Everyday Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2004, 10:31:48 AM »

Allinall,

Glad to hear you have been blessed, and I hope you continue to be so.

I will not respond right away, but take what you have said and consider it and respond when I come to a conclusion.

God bless

Pr. 3:5-7
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
    fear the LORD and shun evil.
Everyday Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2004, 01:43:17 PM »

Quote from: Petro
[quote
Its the same old argument, you desire to argue over, this is the reason you posted what you did, not because you want to learn, you have had these arguments before. So quit acking as thou you are the inujured party.

I desire to share my point of view just as you desire to share yours, I've taken what you've said and considered them, but has not changed my view.  Thus I continued with sharing my view, just as you have.  I'm not here just simply for arguements sake, as you seem to believe, but rather to discuss an issue because there might be something I'm missing or an idea that I didn't think about before.  The difference so far between me and you is that I've had the attitude that I reserve the right to be right, and I reserve the right to be wrong.  But you don't have the latter, and so your responses were full of sarcasm and accusations, both of which the attitude behind them I did not care for, and now here again you continue with this attitude and accuse me of just wanting to argue not wanting to learn and play the injured party.  You don't agree with what I say, fine.  But don't continue with this attitude you have, because it is not one that is in love and humbleness.  

Yopu insinuated here that you were teaching truth; thus my answer to you.

I did no such thing, that was your interpretation of what I said.  Instead of asking me to clarify what I meant, you assumed your own conclusion.  What I was saying was explained in my above response, that I am willing to consider what others say because I might be wrong.  Sure I believe I have a grasp on some of the truth ('some' because I don't know everything), but I could be missing something.  You on the other hand, think you know everything therefore anything that is of a different oppinion you automatically write it off and do not even consider what they're saying.  All I'm asking for is a mutual respect that we have different views and understanding, and we can calmly share those with each other without sarcasm or insults.  Please, can we do that?

The truth is, if you are saved once, you are saved forever, God doesn't do things half baked.

Does that mean you're free to do what you want without any consequences, because you're saved and God's grace covers you?  If so, where does it say it's okay to sin?  If not, then what are the consequences of deliberate sin?

The idea God saves a person one moment to unsave the next is a doctrine, thats been around since the first century, and is perpetuated by those that want to work their way into Gods presence.

There are those who believe that they must do works to get into heaven, but that is not the doctrine I'm sharing here.  Jesus commands us to obey, and by doing so we'll remain in his love.  What happens if we don't obey is we won't remain in his love.  Now how can someone be saved who isn't in Christ's love?  We obey because we become slaves to God (Rom 6), and tells us what the results are for being obedient.  When we are obedient as slaves we are doing the will of the Father.  If we deliberately become disobedient, we're not in his will and have broken fellowship with him.  We become like those who say 'Lord, Lord' but are cast away because they did not do the Father's will.  In our obedience to his Word, we are in the Father's love, doing his will, and thus have a relationship and fellowship with him.  Apart from our obedience, we have nothing.

Lose your salvation proponents, say they are saved by grace out of one side of their mouth, while preaching a gospel, that I believed, as their part;  of deal, if this is true; the it stand to reason, that if they produced saving faith, they can lose it, and then repent and regain it again, so the round and around they go, a never ending cycle.

I'm not saying that once you accept Christ, you commit a sin and lose your salvation, repent and get it again, commit another and lose it, repent and regain it, etc.  God's patience and grace run deep, and covers and always will cover those who are humble before God.  But if you deliberately continue to be disobedient even after you accepted Christ, and harden your heart, will such sins still be forgiven by God?  In your deliberate disobedience you become an enemy of God.  We are saved by God's grace, but his grace is no means to go on sinning.  To say that you can continue to deliberately sin and do what you want because God's grace will cover a multitude of sins is not a teaching I see anywhere in the Bible, and is a dangerous doctrine to believe in.

Someone shares the truth with them, and they get upset, to hear,  that God has saved for ever, it is almost as though one needs to re evangelize them all over, in most cases, they are totally unreceptive to the truth.

This is where they get stuck, and never grow out of this, and never have tiome for anything else, because they have to tend to their own selves, for fear of falling out of grace.

As for learning being a lifetime, this is true, but slavation by Grace thru Faith, is foundational to the begining of this learning experience.

Again, we are saved by God's grace, and I fully believe it.  If we remain in his love, and we do so by being obedient by faith even though we may stumble here and there, and we continue to be humble before him and do his will, we will always be in fellowship with him, we will always have the Holy Spirit to guide us as we listen for it, and we will always be under his grace (because we will always need it) as long as we are on this earth.
But if we turn from our ways and sin, none of the righteous things we've done before will be remembered.  Why?  By our turning away we are rejecting God and have left his fellowship, we're not being obedient to his word, and we're not loving him.  If it were not so, then the road would be broad and the gate wide that leads to life, and narrow would be the road and the gate small that leads to destruction.  

We just talked about;

You need to accept Gods Woprd as the truth, and move on,
I have accepted ALL of God's Word as the truth, perhaps you need to accept ALL of God's Word, not in pieces you feel safe in.

God bless

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2004, 02:11:24 PM »

Hey Everyday Newborn!  Thanks for considering what I presented, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you've had a chance to collect them.  But I wanted to add this to those thoughts, in reference to something you said to Petro, if ya don't mind.  You said:

Does that mean you're free to do what you want without any consequences, because you're saved and God's grace covers you?  If so, where does it say it's okay to sin?  If not, then what are the consequences of deliberate sin?

Are we free to do what we want?  Nope!  We're blood bought slaves.  It is God Who works in us both to "will and to do His good pleasure" (Phil. 2:13).  And Paul warns us in Romans 6...

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin.  Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.  We know that Christ being raised from the dead will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him. For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God. So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Paul tells us to reckon ourselves dead to sin, and to not let that sin rule us.  Yet you point out what many who believe you can lose your salvation do not.  You point out the deliberate continuation of sinful practice being the result, you believe, in losing salvation.  This is one thing God says about it.  Now, prayerfully read this.  See what He says, and consider it from the perspective that you can't lose your salvation and then ask, "What then does this mean?"

For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.  Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?  For we know him who said, "Vengeance is mine; I will repay." And again, "The Lord will judge his people."  It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Hebrews 10:26-31

And, as usual, I'll be happy to put my understanding of just what this means if you are so inclined to ask brother.

God bless!

Bronzesnake
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2004, 10:26:04 PM »

Bronze Man!  Welcome back Bro!  How ya feelin'?

Anywho, I wanted to touch base on your statement here and ask you a question:

Of course it's enough to cover all sin... for every one on the entire earth from the very begining.

However, not everyone will be saved will they Petro?

I don't argue that Jesus' sacrafice was more than enough to cover all mankind's sins. I'm saying it's our free choice wheather we accept it or not, and once we accept it, we still have free will to turn back, fall away and lose the free gift.

The scriptures I posted are good examples of this.

Take care my brother.

Bronzesnake

If that is so my brother, then how do you explain this?

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Our bodies are from God.  The Holy Spirit, Who takes up residence and makes that body a temple, is from God.  We are not our own.  Who's then are we?  God's.  We have been bought with a price.  What price?  The blood of Jesus Christ, amen?  Question - If this body is from God, the Spirit that enlivens me is from God, and the privilege, the body, the temple and the very life have all been provided by, and bought through the blood of His Son, how then can I ever make a free-will choice to be unbought?

The question then becomes, will God ever give me back because of my sinful choices?

...for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Hebrews 13:5b

Great havin' ya back Bro!

Sorry I didn't answer you sooner.

Here is another set of verses where Jesus says we can fall away, and unless we repent we will lose our eternal salvation.

Rev 2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;  

Rev 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:  

Rev 2:3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.  

Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have [somewhat] against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.  

Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.  

It's quite clear my friend whether you chose to believe what Jesus told us about it or not.

The bottom line is, that I will continue to keep Jesus at the top of my every thought, and therefore, I will do those things which He has commanded me to do to the best of my abillity.

Bronzesnake
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2004, 07:57:44 AM »

Hebrews 5:9.  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Support your local Christian.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2004, 11:08:45 AM »

Hebrews 5:9.  And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Hey Ollie, that's another good verse that points out the fact that we must obey Him in order to receive eternal salvation.

Thanks my friend.

Bronzesnake.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2004, 10:37:51 AM »

The bottom line is, that I will continue to keep Jesus at the top of my every thought, and therefore, I will do those things which He has commanded me to do to the best of my abillity.

Bronzesnake

Man!  If only we OSASers could be like that!  That's the key to any life my friend.  But, as I'm sure you knew I would, would contend.  Graciously pointing out things bro, not badgering or making you out to be anything but a God-fearing brother in Christ my friend.   Smiley  But let's look first at the passages you gave in support of your belief...

"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: 'The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands. "'I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false.  I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary.  But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first.  Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

To interpret this passage in the way you have, they've all lost their salvation, because they've lost their first love.  Here's the problem.  Why then does God address them as the "church" in Ephesus?  If they are not His own, if they have lost their salvation because He's removed their candlestick from their/his place, then they cannot be a called out assembly as they'd technically have, gone back in.  That, and I would contend that we are equated with being lights in this world, not in Heaven.  He is the light, we are the reflection of that glory.  I would interpret it to be that God would remove their opportunity for witnessing, even removing them from life, and taking them home.

But here's another problem.  The scriptures blatantly state that those who do fall away suffer loss:

According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building upon it. Let each one take care how he builds upon it. For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw -- each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

1 Corinthians 3:10-15

What then is the loss suffered?  For one, he loses all that he worked for most in life - wood, hay and straw.  Furthermore, he stands one day, before the One Who gave him all...with not one thing to show for it.  He was given the foundation, which remains - Christ.  But upon that, he did no good building.  His works were not as unto the Lord, were not in service of the Lord, and did not reflect the working of the Lord in his life.  He has nothing - but the foundation which God laid in his life - Jesus Christ.

Man, I know that there's alot of inference derived from God's word that seems as though we might lose that which Christ paid for, once for all, on the cross.  I also know, that alot of OSASers hold to verses, that while comforting, do not necessarily deal with those verses we misunderstand.  That's why, my friend, an understanding of just what Christ did on the cross in reference to the O.T. Law is of utmost importance.

Think about this stuff Brother.  And God bless!   Smiley

Everyday Newborn

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »

Allinall,

I'm doing well these days, always room for improvement but it's nice sometimes to be able to look back and know that you've made some accomplishments through God's grace and strength.

<Again I have many questions so please bare with me>  Grin
author=Allinall
I believe that our "doing" is simple obedience, not for the sake of maintaining the salvation Jesus bought for us with His blood, by God's plan, but for the purpose of "conforming us into the image of His Son."  How so?

But my question to this is, why would we need to conform ourselves to the image of His Son?  We're already saved, so why would you have to do anything beyond accepting him?  If accepting his free gift of salvation was good enough, why would we need to obey, or to take up our cross daily, or to do his will?  If what you say is true, not being obedient or doing his will isn't going to make any difference because we're sealed, locked in, always and forever, for eternity.  If not having fellowship with Christ is not important, why then did God sacrifice his Son for us?  Was it to have a bunch of saved people who don't love him with him in heaven?

This may seem like a sarcastic question, but rather it's a very serious question.  I ask it because the difference I see in our views, is I believe the scriptures teach that salvation is in making Jesus our Lord and Saviour.  I go back to an ancient question many people have, which is why did God create man in the first place?  Was it not for someone to fellowship with, that would walk in his ways and love him of their own free will?  God's purpose of creation was not to reconcile us to him, but rather for fellowship.  Reconciliation had to come because of our sin getting in the way.  So we need to accept what Christ did for us on the cross, repent and ask forgiveness, thus by his blood making him our Saviour.  But the scriptures say that anyone who loves him will obey what he commands, and that those who obey his commands live in him. So our love for our God is shown in our obidence to his commands, and in doing so we're in him, in his will, and we have the fellowship he desired as the reason for creating us in the first place.
Now the once saved always saved belief ignores the first part (Lord) and choses to focus only on the second part (Saviour).  So my question is, if not making him the Lord of our life (meaning having to obey what he commands) is not important or have any consequences, if Jesus died for ALL sins whether they're on purpose or not, it goes back to my original question of 'will heaven then be filled with saved people who don't love God?'  Huh

Side note:  Nobody is fully obedient to God's commands, but I hope from all the previous posts that you know that I have made a distinction between someone who loves God but will stumble here and there, and someone who decides to turn from their ways and disobey, so I will not have to go into further detail in that again.  Wink

My question, after you've had a chance to think about this part, is...what does it mean, "perfected for all time those who are being sanctified"?

What Jesus did on the cross is the ONLY thing that can reconcile believers to the Father, and ALWAYS will be the only thing. Smiley

God bless

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the