Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:45:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How was Paul Baptized ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How was Paul Baptized ??  (Read 8291 times)
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »

Hello Jerry:

Your post was not addressed to anyone so I shall take the liberty of giving answer but to your question.

"So then a question:
What baptism was Jesus talking about in Mark 10:39? 

"They said unto Him, "We are able", and Jesus said unto them, "The cup that I drink ; and you shall be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized."

In a recent post I wrote there were at least (PLEASE NOTE THAT WORD LEAST) 3 BAPTISMS IN THE NT.  I said that because I felt this question would arise and sure enough you have brought it up.  Those baptisms are 1. Holy Spirit;  2.  water and 3. fire.  Now you ask about Mark 10:39  As we study the text, to me at least, its a baptism of suffering.  Note the context speaks of suffering.  Things having to do with disciple ship, shame, rejection, mocking, scourging the cross etc.  Jesus aske them can you do this?  Are you willing to drink this cup I drink."

God Bless
duval

A baptism of suffering....so there are now 4 baptisms mentioned in the NT?

The point being that I agree that there are multiple baptism mentioned in the Bible, and more specifically the NT.
There is the Baptism by/of the Holy Spirit which is also described as cleansing of sins, or salvation.
There is water baptism, which is a symbolic gesture performed by individuals to do in accordance to the obedience of Jesus Christ.  While something we should do, it gives us nothing spiritually, it is simply a gesture to follow in Jesus footsteps.
Then fire baptism, which I do not think is being contested.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
duval

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »

Hello Jerry:

Will you please tell us where Holy Spirit baptism is "described as cleansing of sins, or salvation"? 

Respectfully, duval
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »

Duval,

That's already been given to you in Scriptures, but here's one again as a reminder:

Titus 3:4-7 KJV  But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,  5  Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;  6  Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;  7  That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

duval

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »

nChrist

Thanks for that scripture and I believe every word of it.  Note please it reads "and renewing of the Holy Spirit--"  NOT BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT!  Some think each time they see the word "Spirit" it means Holy Spirit, but there are different"gifts" of the Spirit.

Thus I still ask, and rightly so, where is the passage stating sins are cleansed in the Holy Spirit, or described as Jerry said "salvation",

God bless you as you search, and always remember, God is love.
duval
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 07:11:17 PM »

Read the entire verse. Did you happen to notice "washing of regeneration". You should be able to put 2 and 2 from there and get 4.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »

nChrist

Thanks for that scripture and I believe every word of it.  Note please it reads "and renewing of the Holy Spirit--"  NOT BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT!  Some think each time they see the word "Spirit" it means Holy Spirit, but there are different"gifts" of the Spirit.

Thus I still ask, and rightly so, where is the passage stating sins are cleansed in the Holy Spirit, or described as Jerry said "salvation",

God bless you as you search, and always remember, God is love.
duval

This is the exact same argument that the Corinthians used and that Paul chastised them for in 1Co 12. In arguing about gifts they overlooked the primary one, the most important gift of all and that is the gift of salvation. As Paul said, "For by one Spirit are we all baptized".

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
duval

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »

Hi nChrist: 

About Tit.3:5 and the "washing of regenerattion", as with the "rrenewing of the Holy Spirit" nothing is said about the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" in the verse.  What was said about the "renewing" is  also true of the "washing", and nothing said about the baptism of the Holy Spirit there.  In fact the "washing" and the "renewing" are two different things as evidenced by the word "and" which joines them together.  Try again.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »

Hi nChrist: 

About Tit.3:5 and the "washing of regenerattion", as with the "rrenewing of the Holy Spirit" nothing is said about the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" in the verse.  What was said about the "renewing" is  also true of the "washing", and nothing said about the baptism of the Holy Spirit there.  In fact the "washing" and the "renewing" are two different things as evidenced by the word "and" which joines them together.  Try again.

No, you just need to read what's already been given to you. The Scripture ties everything together for you in an extremely easy and to the point manner. If you can't see it, I doubt that anyone can help you. You're on your own, and I won't be wasting any more time trying to help you.

duval

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »

Hi Mr. Rogers

Two things about I Cor.12:13 without advancing further on it.  1.  In the baptism of the Holy Spirit, Jesus IS the one doing the baptizing.  Here the Spirit is said to "by" although some translations use the word "in".  Whichever word used ( by or in ) Jesus is the dministrator of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Second, the text says "all" received it.  Would it be safe to assume such?

I see there is a renewed interest in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, so, perhaps the stage is set again to ask 2 questions asked before but recieving no answers.

l.  Is the baptism of the Spirit a command or a promise?

2. Is water baptism a command or promise

As always, I wish you all well---duval
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 11:00:18 PM »

Yes, Jesus is the one doing the baptizing and He is doing so with the Holy Spirit. You may try to argue that it doesn't say Holy even though it is quite evident that it is indeed the Holy Spirit. You would simply being arguing for the sake of arguing and doing so with out basis.

I Cor.12:13 is speaking to all believers so scripture does say all so yes it is indeed safe, not to assume, but rather to take it as fact.

As for your two questions they are irrelevant to the fact that the Holy Spirit does in fact baptize and it is a baptism that washes away sin.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
duval

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »

Hi nChrist

I regret your attitude is that you have wasted your time.  Seems you were looking for an "out" and convientliy found it- - - the same "out" all have used when unable to answer the issue in point. 

God bless, and I wish you well,
duval
duval

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »

Hi Mr. Roger

We agree on some things, praise God!

We agree that Jesus is the administrator of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

We also agree I Cor.12:13 includes "all" in the "one body."

Thank you.

I believe the scripture teaches that only the apostles were baptized in the Holy Spirit, and that it occured but ONCE. 

Yoiu have said the two questions I've asked both you and nChrist are not relevant to the subject.  I do, and ask you to answer them.  I have.

Neither Tit.3:5 nor I Cor.12:13 teaches that Holy Spirit baptism "washes away sin".  I have shown that by calling your attention to the fact that  neither passage memtions Holy Spirit baptism.

This is said to be a debate forum but a real one is when it is a "one-on-one!  I therefore invite kyou or nChrist
or JIerry or James to engage in one.  This incliudes Dam P as well.
God bless all, duval

L
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »

A baptism of suffering....so there are now 4 baptisms mentioned in the NT?

Actually there were seven baptisms. Between food pantries and family events at this time of year I really don't have the time to go into this in detail right now but there are seven mentioned.

duval

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »

Hi Mr. Roger

Thats why I said "at least three" and named them as they were more likely to be the ones at issue.  AND thanks for your imput regarding additions ones.

In Chrisstian love,
duval
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »

Hi Mr. Rogers

Two things about I Cor.12:13 without advancing further on it.  1.  In the baptism of the Holy Spirit, Jesus IS the one doing the baptizing.  Here the Spirit is said to "by" although some translations use the word "in".  Whichever word used ( by or in ) Jesus is the dministrator of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Second, the text says "all" received it.  Would it be safe to assume such?

I see there is a renewed interest in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, so, perhaps the stage is set again to ask 2 questions asked before but recieving no answers.

l.  Is the baptism of the Spirit a command or a promise?

2. Is water baptism a command or promise

As always, I wish you all well---duval

See you continue to try and ask these questions as if you are some sort of robot, and yet there is not a settlement on the premise of your questions to begin with.  Now you have expanded your mentions by stating it is Jesus administering the baptism.  And it is the Holy Spirit which Jesus is using to baptize....which means the Holy Spirit is washing away the sins...which even when you want to try and argue the point, the Holy Spirit is Jesus is God, they are three one, so the point is irrelevant in truth.
I can and believe have answered
1) Promise, because the Bible says that if we believe in the Gospel of Jesus, that God will cleanse us of our sin.
2) Neither, to state it is a command would indicate that there is a consequence for failure to act. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the