Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:38:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How was Paul Baptized ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How was Paul Baptized ??  (Read 8301 times)
duval

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »

Hi Mr. Rogers

I can read of at three baptisms recorded in the NT.  Holy Spirit, fire and water.  Paul said by inspiration that by the time he wrote there was only one baptism, Eph.4:5.

God bless,
duval
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »

Exactly, there is only one baptism that saves.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
duval

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »

Hi Mr. Rogers

I can count at least 3 baptisms in the scripture:  1.  Holy Spirit;  2.  Fire;  and 3. water.  By the time Paul wrote Ephesians there was only 1 ( one ) baptism left, Eph.4:5.

God bless,
duval
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:01 PM »

Hi Mr. Rogers

I can count at least 3 baptisms in the scripture:  1.  Holy Spirit;  2.  Fire;  and 3. water.  By the time Paul wrote Ephesians there was only 1 ( one ) baptism left, Eph.4:5.

God bless,
duval

You already said this once. We were talking about salvation, the washing away of sins and not the burning of dross.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
duval

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »

Hi Mr.Rogers

I count at least 3 baptisms in the NT:  1.  Holy Spirit;  2.  Fire;  and 3.  Water.  By the time Paul wrote Eph. 4:5 there was only one baptism left and the baptism of fire was still future following the judgment.  The  baptism that saves us ( Jesus saves us but thru this baptism) is the baptism that is to last till the end of the world.

God bless, duval
duval

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »

Hi Mr.Rogers

Regretfully I wrote my post three times before I realized we had come to the end of the page.  I'll figure out how to work this yet.

Now that I'm back on track, I understand from my study of the scriptiure that Holy Spirit baptism is past, fire baptism yet future leaving only water baptism and that being necessary to ones salvatiion.

Thank you again for enduring my 3 repeated posts.
duval
duval

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »

Hi Dan

To be honest I thought I got it from you but evidentliy not and I therefore apologise as I will not knowningly misrepresent any man.

God bless,--duval
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 09:27:53 PM »

Hi Mr.Rogers

Regretfully I wrote my post three times before I realized we had come to the end of the page.  I'll figure out how to work this yet.

Now that I'm back on track, I understand from my study of the scriptiure that Holy Spirit baptism is past, fire baptism yet future leaving only water baptism and that being necessary to ones salvatiion.

Thank you again for enduring my 3 repeated posts.
duval

Physical water baptism is not and never has been that which saves. As Jesus tole Nicodemus and the other Pharisees, it is the inward cleaning that counts and not the outward. When I said that scripture speaks of two different baptisms I didn't clarify that I meant in regards to water baptism. One is that of the physical, earthly water (the like figure) and that of spiritual water (living water). Many people confuse these two.

duval

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 09:59:19 AM »

Hi Mr Rogers

Am I correct in understanding that you agree there is only one baptism today?  If so may I ak, which is it?  Holy Spirit?  Fire? Water?  I believe the "one baptism" of Eph.4:5 to be water.

God bless,
duval
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »

As I already said, Physical water baptism is not and never has been that which saves. That type of baptism does not cleanse us "from all unrighteousness." It is Jesus through the Holy Spirit that does that.

1Co 6:11  And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Think about it. What does the word baptize with the Holy Ghost mean? The word baptize means to immerse, to wash.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »

1 Corinthians 1:12-18 KJV  12  Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.  13  Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?  14  I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;  15  Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.  16  And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.  17  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.  18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I believe that the one Baptism is by the Holy Spirit of God when a person is truly saved - born again from above - and indwelt by the Holy Spirit. At best, water baptism is an outward testimony before men of their acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. The real work is done by God - not men, and God doesn't need earthly water.

John 7:37-39 KJV  In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.  38  He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.  39  (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

In this day and age, the Holy Spirit of God is given to those who truly believe, and the Holy Spirit of God seals the heart of the new believer as a purchased possession of Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:20-22 KJV  20  For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.  21  Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;  22  Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

duval

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

Hi Mr. Rogers

You wrote today, Dec.17 that  "---water baptism is not and never has been that which saves."  Herein lies our difference!  You also wrote: "It is Jesus through the Holy Spirit that does that."  I agree with that statement but not that it is Jesus through the BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT  that does that.  There is a difference as you  surely can see.

You quoted  I Cor.6:9-11.  If your intent was to show that the Corinthians were "washed", "justified" and "sanctified" by the baptism of the Holy Spirit, it doesn't say that either, does it?  It simply says it was "by the Spirit of our God.  I agree with that, but it does NOT say baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Next you quoted 1 Jn.1:9 but the entire chapter is silent on the baptism of the Spirit.

Yes, I agree the word baptize means to "immerse, wash".  So it did witih the baptism of the Holy Spirit in Acts 1:4 and so also it does in Acts 10:47 when Peter asked "can any man forbid water that these should not be baptized-----?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »

1 Corinthians 1:12-18 KJV  12  Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.  13  Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?  14  I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;  15  Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.  16  And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.  17  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.  18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I believe that the one Baptism is by the Holy Spirit of God when a person is truly saved - born again from above - and indwelt by the Holy Spirit. At best, water baptism is an outward testimony before men of their acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. The real work is done by God - not men, and God doesn't need earthly water.

John 7:37-39 KJV  In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.  38  He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.  39  (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

In this day and age, the Holy Spirit of God is given to those who truly believe, and the Holy Spirit of God seals the heart of the new believer as a purchased possession of Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:20-22 KJV  20  For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.  21  Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;  22  Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Amen!

duval

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

Hi again Mr.Rogers

Several scriptures given but did you note before sending them that not a single one of the says anything about Holy Spirit Baptism saving us. 

Very true Paul said he didn't baptize many.  WHO ( in water baptism ) does the baptizing is not of consequence,  but what is of consequence is WHAT baptism and WHY its performed. 

In one of the passages you offered, I Cor.1 Paul said "Christ sent me not to baptize" yet he said he did baptize the household of Stephanan and Crispus and Gaius.  Now what shall we do with Paul for that?

God bless as you search----duval
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »

Hi duval,

First of all I didn't give the scripture of 1 Cor 1. That was nChrist that did.

You quoted  I Cor.6:9-11.  If your intent was to show that the Corinthians were "washed", "justified" and "sanctified" by the baptism of the Holy Spirit, it doesn't say that either, does it?

Yes, in fact it does. "but ye are washed" ...  "by the Spirit of our God".

It simply says it was "by the Spirit of our God.  I agree with that, but it does NOT say baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Now you are trying to split hairs. The "Spirit of our God" is indeed the Holy Spirit.

Next you quoted 1 Jn.1:9 but the entire chapter is silent on the baptism of the Spirit.

I quoted this verse for the reason that it says that He "cleanse us from all unrighteousness." This is the washing(baptism) and note who is doing it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the