Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Forgiveness
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgiveness  (Read 11441 times)
Bronzesnake
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:08:52 AM »

"Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us"

These few word from the Lord's Prayer are so very important to our well being and salvation.

This prayer is directly from Jesus. This prayer is not simply a compilation of rythmatic words, which come together at the end to form a poem/prayer. The words are carefully chosen to give us all specific instruction as to how we should live as Christians.

Jesus says that He will forgive to the same standard as we forgive those who trespass against us. In other words, if we refuse to forgive, He will refuse to forgive us.

I have come across some people throughout my life who are bitter, and have no room for forgiveness. They only have sarcasm and anger in their hearts. All their troubles are someone else fault. These people are not Christians and do not have Jesus within them.

I have also come across "Christians" who refuse to forgive. Oh, sure, they'll forgive for little things, but when they feel wronged on what they consider a serious trespass, forget it!
They fly into a "Holy indignation" and nothing will melt icy the anger! These people are generally good people, but anger and refusal to forgive has blinded them. They can't see that it's God who they are offending with their refusal to forgive, and it will come back to bite them in the end.

When we forgive, God heals us of any pain or anger, which is related to the specific problem. We should also be quick to ask for forgiveness, even when we believe we are not in the wrong. This kind of heart is a heart after Jesus!

I've known, for example,divorced people in my own family who are angry and bitter for years after the divorce! All the troubles and problems are "his" fault! WRONG! It's your fault! because you refused to forgive and forget. Once you do forgive God will release you of all the darkness, anger, and bitterness that has cause so much pain and tears for so many years.

My brother's and sisters. If have offended some of you here over the time that I've been here, I am truly sorry and I ask for your forgiveness. If I have felt offended by some here, I am publicly telling you that I forgive all.

The reason for this post is due to a recent incident, which ended with me announcing that I was going to take a break from C.U. My health is not good at the moment - heck, it's not good at the best of times! Cheesy so I figured a break would do me some good. So because of some issues here and my health I was ready to make the break - that is until I got a letter of apology from a poster here. I won't name the person, but I will say this much.

That apology touched me deeply.

My health is still rotten, but I've always managed to deal with that before. It has been angering me this time because it just never really stops, and this time around, it has lasted for quite a while. Just when I think it's beginning to break, it comes back with a fury. I have to get checked out for kidney stones again. I'm in a lot of pain, and laying down is agonizing! I have these stinking painkillers though, so I'll have to put up with the occasional head bang on the desk, when I nod off! Undecided

You know, I have openly admitted right here on this forum that I have an anger and sarcasm problem, when confronted by aggressive or sarcastic posts. I struggle with it. So I was really concerned that this latest incident would develop into something ugly. My last post to ***** was a wee sampling of that, and I was really fighting to stay in control as I wrote that! Embarrassed

So, I thought, this is not the way Jesus wants me to be, especially on a Christian forum where I profess to be a faithful, Bible believing Christian who takes God literal. I didn’t want to be a hypocrite or a bad example. So I thought I should take a break, to try and work it out with God, and at the same time, give myself a chance to relax and hopefully feel better.

After I read this apology letter, all that foolish anger simply melted away! Smiley Jesus is at work here!

So I'm going to hold off on my vacation. I still might be away at times; it depends on how my health is on any given day. This experience has rejuvenated me. I love my friends that I have met over the years here, and I look forward to making new friends. Some people here don't think much of my moderating here, but this is part of the reason for this entire post.

Over the years I have asked some people here for forgiveness when I have offended, most have responded positively - one person told me basically to forget it! Another person simply ignored me, which really saddened me because we used to have a great relationship here, and I miss that relationship.

I implore my brothers and sisters here to search their hearts. Jesus is there; He wants us to forgive each other. He wants us to ask for forgiveness. If we are truly Christians, then we must deny satan's virus of pride and anger the best we can and forgive each other.

Am I going to be a perfect Christian from now on? No. Will I continue to be sarcastic in some of my posts? I pray that God helps me so I won't. Will I try harder control my temper and sarcasm? YES INDEED!!  Cheesy

All it took to turn a bad situation around was one simple apology! It didn't cost a penny. It didn't raise a sweat. It did make a gigantic difference.

Thank you so much for the apology my friend! God has blessed us both because of it!
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 09:57:44 AM »

These few word from the Lord's Prayer are so very important to our well being and salvation.

This prayer is directly from Jesus. This prayer is not simply a compilation of rythmatic words, which come together at the end to form a poem/prayer. The words are carefully chosen to give us all specific instruction as to how we should live as Christians.

Jesus says that He will forgive to the same standard as we forgive those who trespass against us. In other words, if we refuse to forgive, He will refuse to forgive us.

I have come across some people throughout my life who are bitter, and have no room for forgiveness. They only have sarcasm and anger in their hearts. All their troubles are someone else fault. These people are not Christians and do not have Jesus within them.

I have also come across "Christians" who refuse to forgive. Oh, sure, they'll forgive for little things, but when they feel wronged on what they consider a serious trespass, forget it!
They fly into a "Holy indignation" and nothing will melt icy the anger! These people are generally good people, but anger and refusal to forgive has blinded them. They can't see that it's God who they are offending with their refusal to forgive, and it will come back to bite them in the end.

When we forgive, God heals us of any pain or anger, which is related to the specific problem. We should also be quick to ask for forgiveness, even when we believe we are not in the wrong. This kind of heart is a heart after Jesus!

I've known, for example,divorced people in my own family who are angry and bitter for years after the divorce! All the troubles and problems are "his" fault! WRONG! It's your fault! because you refused to forgive and forget. Once you do forgive God will release you of all the darkness, anger, and bitterness that has cause so much pain and tears for so many years.

My brother's and sisters. If have offended some of you here over the time that I've been here, I am truly sorry and I ask for your forgiveness. If I have felt offended by some here, I am publicly telling you that I forgive all.

The reason for this post is due to a recent incident, which ended with me announcing that I was going to take a break from C.U. My health is not good at the moment - heck, it's not good at the best of times! Cheesy so I figured a break would do me some good. So because of some issues here and my health I was ready to make the break - that is until I got a letter of apology from a poster here. I won't name the person, but I will say this much.

My health is still rotten, but I've always managed to deal with that before. It has been angering me this time because it just never really stops, and this time around, it has lasted for quite a while. Just when I think it's beginning to break, it comes back with a fury. I have to get checked out for kidney stones again. I'm in a lot of pain, and laying down is agonizing! I have these stinking painkillers though, so I'll have to put up with the occasional head bang on the desk, when I nod off! Undecided

You know, I have openly admitted right here on this forum that I have an anger and sarcasm problem, when confronted by aggressive or sarcastic posts. I struggle with it. So I was really concerned that this latest incident would develop into something ugly. My last post to ***** was a wee sampling of that, and I was really fighting to stay in control as I wrote that! Embarrassed

So, I thought, this is not the way Jesus wants me to be, especially on a Christian forum where I profess to be a faithful, Bible believing Christian who takes God literal. I didn’t want to be a hypocrite or a bad example. So I thought I should take a break, to try and work it out with God, and at the same time, give myself a chance to relax and hopefully feel better.

After I read this apology letter, all that foolish anger simply melted away! Smiley Jesus is at work here!

So I'm going to hold off on my vacation. I still might be away at times; it depends on how my health is on any given day. This experience has rejuvenated me. I love my friends that I have met over the years here, and I look forward to making new friends. Some people here don't think much of my moderating here, but this is part of the reason for this entire post.

Over the years I have asked some people here for forgiveness when I have offended, most have responded positively - one person told me basically to forget it! Another person simply ignored me, which really saddened me because we used to have a great relationship here, and I miss that relationship.

I implore my brothers and sisters here to search their hearts. Jesus is there; He wants us to forgive each other. He wants us to ask for forgiveness. If we are truly Christians, then we must deny satan's virus of pride and anger the best we can and forgive each other.

Am I going to be a perfect Christian from now on? No. Will I continue to be sarcastic in some of my posts? I pray that God helps me so I won't. Will I try harder control my temper and sarcasm? YES INDEED!!  Cheesy

All it took to turn a bad situation around was one simple apology! It didn't cost a penny. It didn't raise a sweat. It did make a gigantic difference.

Thank you so much for the apology my friend! God has blessed us both because of it!

Bronze,

All I can say is...............your post made me cry Cry.  You are a man after God's own heart.  I can't remember the bible verse now, but it's about "words" we speak, and how "one" word from another can soften or harden the heart.  I'm not good at being able to spit out chapters and verses.

I just pray the Holy Spirit will continue to guide and direct you.  Father God, through Your son Jesus Christ, I pray for healing for my brother, Bronze.  Oh Father, give him wisdom, courage, and strength.  Send those to him who could be of help.  I pray for his family too, Lord God.  Strengthen them, and just fill them all with Your love.  Amen.

I love you, Bronze!

Grace and peace,
cris

PS.........Agreed, we should ALL be praying "The Lord's Prayer" everyday.  Jesus said that this was how we were to pray when He was asked this question.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 11:50:40 AM »

Bronzesnake,

AMEN BROTHER!!! - Your post blessed me, and I would like to echo the same sentiments.

I was just talking about this same matter with another Brother in Christ. Our typed posts on the forum are easy to misunderstand because there are no gestures, facial expressions, voice inflections, and other ways that usually help in communications. We all also make mistakes on a regular basis. SO, apologies and forgiveness should be a way of Christian life.

We have a Christian heart that desires peace and fellowship with other Christians, and we all must deal with mistakes and misunderstandings. Apologies and forgiveness is like taking a weight off the Christian heart, and it always results in enhanced peace and fellowship. Withholding forgiveness leaves the weight on the Christian heart and results in hardness that hurts.

I would also hope and pray for forgiveness for anything I might have done to hurt another brother or sister in Christ.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 11:33  O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 12:34:30 PM »

Amen Brothers,

This indeed warms my heart and brings me tears of joy.

As we are told "there is none righteous". We all have our weaknesses and are capable of making mistakes.

It is such a wonderful thing that we can come together in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to ask for forgiveness and to forgive one another in true brotherly love.

Rom 12:16  Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
Rom 12:17  Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
Rom 12:18  If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

2Co 2:2  For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me?
2Co 2:3  And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
2Co 2:4  For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.
2Co 2:5  But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
2Co 2:6  Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
2Co 2:7  So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
2Co 2:8  Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 03:18:37 PM »

Thank you my friends.
This experience has really touched my heart. I know God planned the whole thing out ahead of time.
SEEKING

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 06:04:26 AM »

THIS REALLY SPEAKS TO ME ON EVERY LEVEL,I WANT TO
TAKE THIS MOMENT TO UNBURDEN MYSELF AND FORGIVE.
MAY IT BE MY FIRST STEP IN SEEKING THE LORD ,AMEN
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 10:20:08 AM »

Well it is easy to forgive some people, people we like or admire, or people who are truly repentant and apologize.  So I am going off from the original posting some what.  No offense is meant to anyone here because I am not talking about that type of forgiveness that is easy.  

We must consider how difficult it is to forgive those who commit terrible crimes against the innocent and even ourselves.  We might have forgiven them before and they were not apologetic or even repentant.  They may have repeatedly sinned against us and God harming us in many ways.  Do these people deserve our forgiveness?  How do we forgive those who hurt us many many times and are not sorry for it?  I am talking about liars, thieves, rapists, murderers.  
SelahJoy

Pray and praise about everything.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 10:56:19 AM »

THIS REALLY SPEAKS TO ME ON EVERY LEVEL,I WANT TO
TAKE THIS MOMENT TO UNBURDEN MYSELF AND FORGIVE.
MAY IT BE MY FIRST STEP IN SEEKING THE LORD ,AMEN

Amen! Seeking,

I'm with you on this one, young sibling in the Lord!  Grin

Forgiveness is an act of our will.  It need not be heartfelt to be begun.  The feelings will follow after the repetitious act (of forgiveness).  There are lots of verses to guide us, like the parable Jesus told of the forgiven slave who did not forgive his debtor, and the Lord's prayer itself speaks to forgiveness.  But my favorite scripture that has encouraged me, and entrenched me to strongly hold onto the precept of forgiveness is found in John 17.  Jesus prays for all of us; He thanks His Father for giving us to Him (can you imagine the love of Jesus as He was thankful for getting relationship with you and me?!), but then Jesus says that if we--his followers--would unite with one another the way He and the Father are one, then---and this is the clencher---then, and then, then, the world will know that the Father sent Jesus, that Jesus is God!  To me, this is the most powerful testimony in the whole world!  Super miracles of physical healing, spiritual manifestation, divine timing and accomplishment:  all these can be debated as to their origin--from whence do they come?  But to forgive like Jesus did, like He forgave Peter, Judas, Mary, Martha, his mom, all the disciples, even Ceasar and the theif on the cross.  Then there is Stephen who forgave the guys who were killing him with stones!  the list goes on...

These examples and teachings have greatly encouraged me to insist to my selfish soul that I pray for my enemies, and bless those who harm me, or ignore me, or reject me.  Oh, I've cried out to God for deliverance, protection, and vindication, just like David did in Ps 43, but still, God has called Christians to an incredible testimony of forgiveness.

Seeking, may we remain in the Word!  May we fall deeper in love with Jesus and wholeheartedly read the Bible as one would read a love-letter from their loving-one.  May you hear the word, read it, and meditate upon it every day, for the rhema, the dunamis, and the power of the written words that came from our Lord.  Those words will transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ Himself.

None of us will be perfect as we live on this earth, but the more I keep Jesus' John 17:21 and vs 23 in the forefront of my mind, the more my heart goes out toward Jesus' agenda.  And I want to join Him and help Him reach His goals because He is my hero.  He essentially jumped in harm's way and took my spiritual demise for me, so that I won't have to spiritually die.

Instead, we get to live with Him forever because of His great forgiveness.  Oh I just want to praise God now!

Seeking, I hope and pray for your joy to be full in Jesus!

selahjoy*
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »

Do these people deserve our forgiveness?  How do we forgive those who hurt us many many times and are not sorry for it?  I am talking about liars, thieves, rapists, murderers.

Yes, this kind of forgiveness can be the hardest thing to do. We are to love our enemies as Jesus has loved us. It is through love that we fully understand what forgiveness is and how to forgive. Even though we may have sinned against God time and time again He is still willing to forgive us. This is true love.

This does not mean that we must continually subject ourselves to persecution by these sorts. In 2Tim 3 we are told to withdraw ourselves from such people. It does not say that hating them is ok just to withdraw from them.

Yes it is difficult to do this. If we give it to the Lord in all supplication and prayer it does become easier.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
SelahJoy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 11:20:47 AM »

Bronze,

All I can say is...............your post made me cry Cry.  You are a man after God's own heart.  I can't remember the bible verse now, but it's about "words" we speak, and how "one" word from another can soften or harden the heart.  I'm not good at being able to spit out chapters and verses.

I just pray the Holy Spirit will continue to guide and direct you.  Father God, through Your son Jesus Christ, I pray for healing for my brother, Bronze.  Oh Father, give him wisdom, courage, and strength.  Send those to him who could be of help.  I pray for his family too, Lord God.  Strengthen them, and just fill them all with Your love.  Amen.

I love you, Bronze!

Grace and peace,
cris

PS.........Agreed, we should ALL be praying "The Lord's Prayer" everyday.  Jesus said that this was how we were to pray when He was asked this question.

Brother Bronze,

I had no idea you were not feeling well!  But you are a saint to forgive and seek forgiveness!  Oh brother, I pray for your life, for every part of your life and your family to be built up and strengthened in the will of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!  Be healed in Jesus' name!!!

cris, I couldn't remember where the verse you mentioned came from so I looked it up.  Prov 15:1  "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."  Thank you for the reminder.  That is a good word!  And thank you for your prayer for Bronze.  I agree with you in that!  Cheesy

Oh God, we cry out to you our Abba Daddy Father!  You said we could come to you just as we are, simple, yet anointed children of the Father of Lights!  So Lord, we come to you believing Your authority in Jesus' name.  I ask you to have Your will in Bronze's family, in his health, in his life.  I also pray for the newbies in Christ like Seeking, and my sister RachelRH.  I pray for cris, PR, BEP, and all the people who visit and post on CU.  Father, in the name of Jesus, please unite us in You, Jesus.  Please take our earthly values and transform them, and us, to Your thoughts from above, to live, act, and think Your values!  What is in Your heart, Oh my God! that You would give up something of Your diety to die for me--to raise up and live forever--with an invitation for all of us to join you in eternity!  Oh Father, I pray that we at CU really do unite in the unity of Jesus, that we really do love our brothers and sisters who would differ in opinions.  Oh God, from those closest to us, who are under our very roofs, all the way around to the far reaches of the world, please pour out Your Holy Spirit upon us, Lord.  That Your will would be accomplished upon this earth, in the hearts and minds of those You call!  Thank You for Your word, for Your word is true!  Amen!

We love You, Jesus!

SelahJoy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 11:35:04 AM »

Do these people deserve our forgiveness?  How do we forgive those who hurt us many many times and are not sorry for it?  I am talking about liars, thieves, rapists, murderers.

Yes, this kind of forgiveness can be the hardest thing to do. We are to love our enemies as Jesus has loved us. It is through love that we fully understand what forgiveness is and how to forgive. Even though we may have sinned against God time and time again He is still willing to forgive us. This is true love.

This does not mean that we must continually subject ourselves to persecution by these sorts. In 2Tim 3 we are told to withdraw ourselves from such people. It does not say that hating them is ok just to withdraw from them.

Yes it is difficult to do this. If we give it to the Lord in all supplication and prayer it does become easier.

I agree with PR.  Some bad things have happened in my life so I speak from experience.  I believe it is Godly wisdom to stay away from those people.  Remember David who ran from his enemies, and even Jesus slipped out of the synagogues when the bad guys were after Him.  

Love in Jesus name,
Pray, pray, praise. ( I know it's hard, but it's Jesus' way...)
Tabitha

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 11:21:46 PM »

I completely agree with you, Bronzesnake. I think it is a humbling thought that it took so much to forgive my sins, and yet I find it hard to forgive the transgressions (compared with what Christ has forgiven me, the extremely minor transgressions).  

Well it is easy to forgive some people, people we like or admire, or people who are truly repentant and apologize.  So I am going off from the original posting some what.  No offense is meant to anyone here because I am not talking about that type of forgiveness that is easy.  

We must consider how difficult it is to forgive those who commit terrible crimes against the innocent and even ourselves.  We might have forgiven them before and they were not apologetic or even repentant.  They may have repeatedly sinned against us and God harming us in many ways.  Do these people deserve our forgiveness?  How do we forgive those who hurt us many many times and are not sorry for it?  I am talking about liars, thieves, rapists, murderers.  

I think the point of forgiving someone is not for them, but for you. When you do not forgive someone for something as horrible as abuse, rape, theft, or murder, you are constantly allowing yourself to be revictimized by that person. Pain usually comes with anger and bitterness. The beauty of forgiveness is not saying that you forget what the person did to you but you remember and chose to forgive them inspite of it. On the other hand, if you know someone is prone to stealing, I would put away the fine china until they rebuild your trust.  

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."
C. S. Lewis
SelahJoy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 01:29:27 AM »

I think the point of forgiving someone is not for them, but for you. When you do not forgive someone for something as horrible as abuse, rape, theft, or murder, you are constantly allowing yourself to be revictimized by that person. Pain usually comes with anger and bitterness. The beauty of forgiveness is not saying that you forget what the person did to you but you remember and chose to forgive them inspite of it. On the other hand, if you know someone is prone to stealing, I would put away the fine china until they rebuild your trust.  

Tabitha,

You could not have said this better!  Your point to "put away the fine china until they rebuild your trust" is so well said.  Your reasons for forgiving are well thought out too, but I would like to add another benefit to forgiving.  Parents who forgive rapists, murderers, slanderers, thiefs, or child abusers free their children from the curses of the past.  In other words, children don't have to grow up and live as adults just passing on the yucky stories or unforgiveness, or all the bitterness that develops with unforgiveness.  

By a parent's forgiveness, the family is free to heal and get on with freedom and joy in God's purpose.  So, we will give no more time for the evil in our lives to rule.  It is God who gets our thoughts.

Finally, I think it is Godly wisdom to "put away the fine china..."   Can you think of any verses where this principle is illustrated?  I don't know where the verses are, but when Jesus slipped out of the synagogue, He put distance between Him and the would-be murderers.  David certainly left his attackers, so did Tamar...any others?

God bless you!  It's always good to be here on CU and read your thoughts!   Smiley  Selahjoy*
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 10:57:26 AM »

SelahJoy;
Thanks for "bumping" this thread.  I Needed to read it again.

Forgiveness is SO IMPORTANT to each and every one of us. We are commanded by our Lord to forgive. It is something we should meditate on and pray about each and everyday, without fail.
Mark 11:25
“And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Gaurav

Jesus Rocks!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 12:01:15 PM »

Hey
Forgiveness is very important but it's also one of the hardest things that one can do. How can you forgive the rapist? How can you forgive the terrorist?

It's up to us to set the example. We know that one day God will judge the terrorist, so why should we not forgive? This is how I try to look on it and this is how I forgive.

God = love
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the