Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:31:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Roman Catholic Religion
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Is the Roman Catholic Religion Christian?
Its A Cult - 3 (27.3%)
Its A False Religion - 2 (18.2%)
NO!! - 0 (0%)
NO WAY! - 0 (0%)
Maybe (Give Reason Why) - 0 (0%)
yes (Give Reason Why) - 6 (54.5%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman Catholic Religion  (Read 17893 times)
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2003, 04:29:39 AM »

Pease give reason for your answer.

Brother Love  Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 09:56:15 AM »

Now, I think you know how the answers are going to come out, so why even ask?

First of all, Roman Catholicism can not be a “false religion” because it is not a religion in it self, it is a denomination of the Christian Religion.

Second, the Roman accept all of you to be their brothers. To not accept them sounds more like a personal problem to me.

Three, Why most we give a reason to prove RCC isn’t a cult, but there is no such demand on the other poll options. I say the ones who say RCC is a cult to “Give Reasons Why” more then the one who say it is Christian, don’t you?

What is what us? Are Baptist Christians? Are Charismatics Christians? Are Catholics Christian? Are we trying to offend each other hear? Are we looking for excuses to fight? Don’t we fight enough without attacking each others personal beliefs? Why don’t we take things one issue at a time, instead of attacking whole groups?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
avemaria

+JMJ+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 11:26:13 AM »

This kind of post just stems from years of anti-Catholic bigotry and bias.  I actually feel really sorry for those who really are steeped in it.

Perhaps reading actual Catholic material and reading Sacred Scripture from a Catholic position will enlighten.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 01:35:26 PM »

After studying the 1994 Catechism, one cannot help but notice several major differences between Catholic doctrine and the Bible.

First and foremost is that both consistently teach conflicting doctrines. The Catechism's claim that the Bible and Catholic tradition work together to bring about the salvation of souls is simply not true.

Secondly, the Catechism contains an endless list of complicated and often confusing rules which all Catholics must follow to please their church.

The Bible, on the other hand, is simple, straight-forward, consistent and easy to understand. Here is an example.

Who will go to heaven?

The Bible could not be any more explicit on the subject of eternal destiny, which is to be expected from God on such an important topic:

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36  

Here's another example. Jesus Himself preached:

"He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." John 5:24  

That is very easy to understand. Now let's see what the Catechism says on the same subject. Here is an exact quote:

"By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints... and other faithful who died after receiving Christ's holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died,... or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death,...) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without mediation of any creature." Pg. 267, #1023

Who could possibly understand that?

Why is such a simple Bible concept made so confusing? Surely God wants everyone to understand how to get to heaven. Would a truly loving God make the rules for reaching heaven so complex that nobody could understand them?

Consider also the following verse of Scripture:

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." 1 Corinthians 14:33

If God is not the author of this confusing list of Catholic rules, then who is?

Don' t be deceived

The Bible even warns us about being deceived by those who complicate the simple things of Christ:

"But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtility, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." 2 Corinthians 11:3

Could God be attempting to warn you about the Catholic church? God made His Word simple because He is:

"...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

God wants you in heaven. That' s why He keeps His Word simple.

Conclusion

God does not want you to be confused. If the Catechism and Catholic doctrine have ever left you feeling confused, perhaps you should begin putting your trust in God's Word:

"In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion." Psalm 71:1
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good subject Brother Love,  Grin

At this time its 50% it is Christian.
And 50% that its a False Religion.

"Grace & Peace"

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 01:50:12 PM »

Perhaps reading actual Catholic material and reading Sacred Scripture from a Catholic position will enlighten.

Reading this does enlighten, to one who believes the truth of Gods Word, that what is written in this material is clearly not of God.

As for what does Sacred Scipture from the Catholic perspective enlightening with the truith, that is matter of opinion.

Petro

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2003, 01:58:25 PM »

There are about seven principle signs that identify a cult. Now when one hears the word "cult," the first connotation is that of some strange obscure religious group. But for our discussion the word cult is simply a word that describes organized heresy. In other words, any religious group that systematically teaches false doctrine. Knowing some of these signs is key to preventing people from following these cults.

The sign we will focus on here is the teaching of exclusivity. Cults will declare that they are the only way to heaven. Apart from them there is no salvation. They alone are the repositories of truth and all must join them to be saved. Here one might say, "yea, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses or the Mormons." But to infer, let alone say, that Catholicism is in this class, is to be condemned as a hate monger or Catholic basher.

To demonstrate that Roman Catholicism bears the mark of a cult is quite easy indeed. If we were left to our opinions and personal interpretations, it might be difficult, but Rome has supplied a mass (no pun intended) of evidence to use. For example:

1) "WE BELIEVE THE CHURCH IS NECESSARY FOR SALVATION BECAUSE CHRIST, WHO IS THE SOLE MEDIATOR AND EXCLUSIVE WAY OF SALVATION, RENDERS HIMSELF PRESENT FOR US IN HIS BODY WHICH IS THE CHURCH. WE MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER THE UNITY OF THE MYSTICAL BODY, WITHOUT WHICH THERE CAN BE NO SALVATION, IS OPEN TO NO ONE OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH."
Pope Paul VI

2) "THE HOLY UNIVERSAL CHURCH PROCLAIMS THAT GOD CANNOT TRULY BE WORSHIPPED SAVE WITHIN HERSELF, AND ASSERTS THAT ALL THEY WHO ARE WITHOUT HER PALE SHALL NEVER BE SAVED."
Pope Gregory the Great (Now how is that for ecumenism!)

3) "THE CHURCH IS LIKE THE ARK OF NOAH, OUTSIDE OF WHICH NOBODY CAN BE SAVED."
Thomas Aquinas.

4) "THAT THERE IS ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH WE ARE COMPELLED TO BELIEVE AND TO HOLD, PROMPTED BY DIVINE FAITH, AND WE DO BELIEVE THIS FIRMLY AND CONFESS IT SIMPLY, OUTSIDE OF WHICH THERE CAN BE NO SALVATION, OR REMISSION OF SINS…."
Pope Boniface VIII

5) "IT IS A SIN TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SALVATION OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH."
Pope Pius IX

6) "FOR IT IS THROUGH CHRIST’S CATHOLIC CHURCH ALONE, WHICH IS THE UNIVERSAL HELP TOWARDS SALVATION, THAT THE FULNESS OF THE MEANS OF SALVATION CAN BE OBTAINED."  
Vatican II

Now we have just cited six infallible sources of the Catholic Church to prove without reservations that they believe that they are the only way to heaven. Understand that they are saying that only Roman Catholics have a chance at going to heaven. This is classic cult mentality. The organization becomes the focus and the savior. Allow us to clearly illustrate this fact. In a recent debate with a Jesuit theologian, we were able to ask a very simple yet extremely important question. The question was "what do we have to do to go to heaven?" The answer that followed was very revealing. It clearly proved that Roman Catholicism teaches that every Baptist is going to hell, in addition to every Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. The Jesuit theologian said to go to heaven we must "do" several things. Firstly, believe the entire Bible. (Sounds like a fundamentalist.) Secondly, we must be baptized in water. Thirdly, we must keep the commandments. Fourthly, we must eat His flesh and drink His blood literally (in the sacrament of the mass). He mentioned a couple of others, but these four should suffice.

The Scripture clearly reveals to one and all that salvation comes from believing in the Lord Jesus Christ alone. (Cf. Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5) The entire book of Galatians was written to demonstrate the futility of believing that the Law justifies or saves anyone. But the "eating" and "drinking" the literal flesh and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ says it all. For according to Roman Catholic theology, this can only be done after a "priest"—and only a priest—says the words of consecration over the bread and wine. Hence, no Catholic Church, no priest. No priest, no Mass or transubstantiation. No transubstantiation, no eating His flesh or drinking His blood. No eating and drinking of Jesus literally, NO SALVATION!

We commend to your reading Hebrews 7, 8, 9 and 10. The mysticism is clearly not biblical and certainly not necessary for anyone to be saved. Their insistence on such heresies places them at the top of the list of religious cults. That statement may seem a bit harsh, but it is nonetheless true. Catholicism does not differ from any of the cults where our first sign is concerned. A closer look at the other signs of a cult further confirm the fact that Catholicism, while large in number, humanitarian in practice, is still unbiblical and perhaps the mother of all "Christian" cults.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2003, 02:58:55 PM »

The Roman Catholic Chruch teaches that Jesus was the Christ, the annointed of God, who became man and was crucified for our sins, arose from the dead and ascended into heaven.  The Roman Catholic Church also teaches that the only way to be saved is through the free gift offered by God's grace through a living faith (which by its very nature is dependent on works).

That sounds like the definition of Christian to me.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2003, 03:05:29 PM »

The soteriology of RCC faith, in its kernal, is Arminian as are the majority of protestant denominations. Only the Reformed churches (which many call Calvinistic) disagree with Arminian doctrine. So if the Arminian protestants are concerned about RCC soteriology (salvation doctrine), they must also be concerned about themselves. Of course, no protestant denomination agrees with the RCC's belief that Mary and the saints are in anyway mediators between God and man. We believe, according to the Scripture that "There is one Mediator between God and man, the Lord Jesus Christ."
  BUT, BUT, BUT--I have fellowshipped with some RCC people
and their expressed enjoyment of Christ as their Saviour; their confidence in His work of atonement as their sole hope of reconciliation with God and their interest in Him as a sanctifying influence in their life convinced me that they were regenerate. We must remember that we are saved not by properly understanding Bible doctrine, but by Christ Himself and we come into that salvation in Him by realizing our own unworthiness, our need of His righteousness, and casting all our hope on Him. A person can be a Roman Catholic and truly believe in Christ. Martin Luther was clearly both a Catholic and a Christian at the time he was trying to stay with the RCC
and just correct its erroneous doctrines. I say let us not judge one another harshly. Fellowship with those who have a love of Christ. Fellowship in every point upon which we are in agreement, but do not ever yield on those points in which we have scriptural grounds for saying, "You do err, my brother."
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 03:57:12 PM »

After studying the 1994 Catechism, one cannot help but notice several major differences between Catholic doctrine and the Bible.

I have read it cover to cover and the Bible as well (several translations - several times) and I for one did fail to see major differences.  I doubt you correctly understood most of what you read and that is where the differences come from as I will show below.

First and foremost is that both consistently teach conflicting doctrines. The Catechism's claim that the Bible and Catholic tradition work together to bring about the salvation of souls is simply not true.

Your saying it is not true does not make it so – perhaps a little more effort on your part would be nice to show how this is not true.

Secondly, the Catechism contains an endless list of complicated and often confusing rules which all Catholics must follow to please their church.

You are confusing discipline with doctrine.  Doctrine involves the necessities of salvation, discipline involves the proper behavior for a fruitful walk.  One of those things involve the obedience to your bishops.

Hebrews 13:17
17Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

The Bible, on the other hand, is simple, straight-forward, consistent and easy to understand. Here is an example.

The Bible is neither simple nor straight-forward else the eunuch would not have needed Phillips help and there would not be the proliferation of denominations that exist today.

Who will go to heaven?

The Bible could not be any more explicit on the subject of eternal destiny, which is to be expected from God on such an important topic:

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." John 3:36  

That’s funny that is not what Jesus answered when He was asked.  

Matthew 19:16
16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18He saith unto him, Which?  Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Now Christ did not mean this in a literal legalistic manner – but it just goes to show you contention that the Bible is simple and straight-forward is wrong.

Here's another example. Jesus Himself preached:

"He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." John 5:24  

But He doesn’t come out and say what exactly is entailed in believing on Him.  So it once again is not so simple and straight-forward.

That is very easy to understand. Now let's see what the Catechism says on the same subject. Here is an exact quote:

"By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints... and other faithful who died after receiving Christ's holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died,... or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death,...) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without mediation of any creature." Pg. 267, #1023

Who could possibly understand that?

Yes it is difficult to summarize the entire New Testament in one paragraph but this comes a lot closer than your verses pulled out of context that don’t explain or address the role baptism and repentance among other things.

Why is such a simple Bible concept made so confusing? Surely God wants everyone to understand how to get to heaven. Would a truly loving God make the rules for reaching heaven so complex that nobody could understand them?

You should not presume to speculate on what a loving God does – He does not answer to you or any of us other lumps of clay.

Consider also the following verse of Scripture:

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." 1 Corinthians 14:33

If God is not the author of this confusing list of Catholic rules, then who is?

The list of Catholic “rules” as you call them is no less a confusion than the proliferation of denominations and their endless variations of doctrines is.

So your entire complaint about the Catholic Church and the reason you would say it is not Christian is because it is hard to understand?  Nothing about doctrine all about your ability to understand – sorry not good enough for me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 04:04:34 PM by michael_legna » Logged

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 03:59:00 PM »

There are about seven principle signs that identify a cult.

Oh really based on who’s authority?  Why seven and not six or eight?  Why your seven and not some other seven?  Who made you an authority on cults?

Now when one hears the word "cult," the first connotation is that of some strange obscure religious group. But for our discussion the word cult is simply a word that describes organized heresy. In other words, any religious group that systematically teaches false doctrine. Knowing some of these signs is key to preventing people from following these cults.

Maybe for your purposes, but not for ours.  It is the height of inpoliteness to speak for others especially when one has no qualifications.  Your definition of a cult would make every denomination appear as a cult to every other denomination as they all disagree on some point of doctrine, thus the reason they are different denominations.

The sign we will focus on here is the teaching of exclusivity. Cults will declare that they are the only way to heaven. Apart from them there is no salvation. They alone are the repositories of truth and all must join them to be saved. Here one might say, "yea, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses or the Mormons." But to infer, let alone say, that Catholicism is in this class, is to be condemned as a hate monger or Catholic basher.

It’s funny but this exclusivity is exactly what your groups definition of a cult is – a statement of exclusivity in the sense that only they keep from teaching false doctrine, that would mean you fit your own definition of cult exclusivity.  You need to rethink your definition.

To demonstrate that Roman Catholicism bears the mark of a cult is quite easy indeed. If we were left to our opinions and personal interpretations, it might be difficult, but Rome has supplied a mass (no pun intended) of evidence to use. For example:

1) "WE BELIEVE THE CHURCH IS NECESSARY FOR SALVATION BECAUSE CHRIST, WHO IS THE SOLE MEDIATOR AND EXCLUSIVE WAY OF SALVATION, RENDERS HIMSELF PRESENT FOR US IN HIS BODY WHICH IS THE CHURCH. WE MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER THE UNITY OF THE MYSTICAL BODY, WITHOUT WHICH THERE CAN BE NO SALVATION, IS OPEN TO NO ONE OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH."
Pope Paul VI

2) "THE HOLY UNIVERSAL CHURCH PROCLAIMS THAT GOD CANNOT TRULY BE WORSHIPPED SAVE WITHIN HERSELF, AND ASSERTS THAT ALL THEY WHO ARE WITHOUT HER PALE SHALL NEVER BE SAVED."

Thomas Aquinas.

4) "THAT THERE IS ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH WE ARE COMPELLED TO BELIEVE AND TO HOLD, PROMPTED BY DIVINE FAITH, AND WE DO BELIEVE THIS FIRMLY AND CONFESS IT SIMPLY, OUTSIDE OF WHICH THERE CAN BE NO SALVATION, OR REMISSION OF SINS…."
Pope Boniface VIII

5) "IT IS A SIN TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SALVATION OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH."
Pope Pius IX

6) "FOR IT IS THROUGH CHRIST’S CATHOLIC CHURCH ALONE, WHICH IS THE UNIVERSAL HELP TOWARDS SALVATION, THAT THE FULNESS OF THE MEANS OF SALVATION CAN BE OBTAINED."  
Vatican II

No argument here, the Catholic Church does teach that the only way to salvation is to be a part of the Church.  But this is only logical.  If you have the doctrine of salvation wrong you cannot be saved and if two or more bodies differ on the doctrine of salvation they cannot all be right.  So if only one is correct you would need to be following its doctrine to saved and if you follow its doctrine you are a member of that Church whether you realize it or not.

Now we have just cited six infallible sources of the Catholic Church

This just goes to show how little you know about the Catholic Church.  Only one of those sources was infallible.  Certainly Aquinas (though a great theologian) was never infallible.  Even the Popes statements were not infallible as they were not taken from ex cathedra statements (which is the only time the Pope is infallible).   Only the statement from Vatican II ( a congregation of the Bishops of the Church) would be put forward as infallible.  You really need to study the RCC more before you go off on a Catholic bashing exercise.

Now we have just cited six infallible sources of the Catholic Church to prove without reservations that they believe that they are the only way to heaven. Understand that they are saying that only Roman Catholics have a chance at going to heaven. This is classic cult mentality.

It is only a cult mentality because you say it is.  Sorry not good enough.

The organization becomes the focus and the savior.

The Church does not see itself, nor do its followers as the savior.  That is your extrapolation and it is a faulty one.

Allow us to clearly illustrate this fact. In a recent debate with a Jesuit theologian, we were able to ask a very simple yet extremely important question. The question was "what do we have to do to go to heaven?" The answer that followed was very revealing. It clearly proved that Roman Catholicism teaches that every Baptist is going to hell, in addition to every Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. The Jesuit theologian said to go to heaven we must "do" several things. Firstly, believe the entire Bible. (Sounds like a fundamentalist.) Secondly, we must be baptized in water. Thirdly, we must keep the commandments. Fourthly, we must eat His flesh and drink His blood literally (in the sacrament of the mass). He mentioned a couple of others, but these four should suffice.

I have to start by saying that a Jesuit theologian could get some of this wrong they cannot speak authoritatively for the Church.  But be that as it may there is scriptural support for each of the issues you present.

First, believing the Word of God should not offer any problems to Christians.

Second though the Church does teach that in some circumstances it is possible to be saved without water baptism the general guideline is that it is required based on the following verse among others.

Mt 16:15-16
15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

John 3:5
5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Keeping the commandments comes again from Christ’s own teachings in Matthew 19 for one.

Matthew 19:16
16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18He saith unto him, Which?  Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Finally your fourth point is based once again on Christ’s teachings.

John 6:53
53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Yes Catholic’s take the scripture literally in this case, but it is clear from 1 Cor 11:26 that we should.

26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.  27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

Paul is clearly teaching that if you don’t see Christ body truly present in the bread and wine you risk damnation by participating in the Eucharist.

The Scripture clearly reveals to one and all that salvation comes from believing in the Lord Jesus Christ alone. (Cf. Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5) The entire book of Galatians was written to demonstrate the futility of believing that the Law justifies or saves anyone.

The Catholic Church does not teach salvation comes from obeying any law in and of itself.  It teaches that following these laws or rules show obedience to the gospel (2 Th 1:8 and 1 Pt 4:17), which are works that make for a living faith (James 2:17) which is the only acceptable way in which to accept the free gift.

Notice how all of your interpretations are from the teachings of the apostles and you force what Christ said to fit your interpretations of the apostles teachings.  While I can make the teachings of the apostles fit consistently with the teachings of Christ.  Which do you think makes the most sense?

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 04:14:36 PM »

The Roman Catholic Chruch teaches that Jesus was the Christ, the annointed of God, who became man and was crucified for our sins, arose from the dead and ascended into heaven.  The Roman Catholic Church also teaches that the only way to be saved is through the free gift offered by God's grace through a living faith (which by its very nature is dependent on works).

That sounds like the definition of Christian to me.

Only in your dreams

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 04:15:04 PM »

A4C, the problem is that you are looking at the Catechism in the wrong way. You ate looking at it in comparison to the bible. The Catechism isn’t to replace the bible, but complement it. Comparing the Catechism the Bible is like comparing the Declaration of Independence to the Bill of Rights. Try and read it again, with these words in mind, it might help you to understand things better.

I have yet to see honest conflict between the Catechism and the Bible, anyways.  The only time they do compare it, and quote the Catechism, they only use half a sentence at a time. When the Catechism is written paragraph at a time, this kind of “proof” is pretty weak. Normally, reading the section will disprove that argument.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 04:25:02 PM »

One more time...

Pope Paul VI

Thomas Aquinas.

Pope Boniface VIII

Pope Pius IX

Vatican II

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 04:28:05 PM »

Repeating yourself - especially after someone has shown the errors in your position doesn't prove anything.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Grin

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 04:28:52 PM »

Have you ever wondered why "professing" Christians often dispute the words of Jesus? Is it rational or sensible for Christians, who say they believe in Jesus, to deny His teachings and promises? This would be similar to a Mormon rejecting the words of Joseph Smith or a Roman Catholic refuting the teachings of their "infallible" Pope. What causes those who name the name of Christ to substitute His word and authority for something else?

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the