Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:03:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Roman Catholic Religion
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Is the Roman Catholic Religion Christian?
Its A Cult - 3 (27.3%)
Its A False Religion - 2 (18.2%)
NO!! - 0 (0%)
NO WAY! - 0 (0%)
Maybe (Give Reason Why) - 0 (0%)
yes (Give Reason Why) - 6 (54.5%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman Catholic Religion  (Read 17896 times)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2003, 03:05:13 PM »

Nope - I mean early Church history, but then again, your "church" history didn't start until the mid 1500's with a man named Luther so - you wouldn't know about what went on prior to this man right? Wink

Volley ----->  serve

LOL, Luther LOL
The Church I am in started in Acts chapter nine. Your Cult started around 314 A.D. Grin

Hail May, started in the 1800's Grin

I am still praying for you
"The Church I am in started in Acts chapter nine."

How do you come to this conclusion from Acts:9?

Acts 2:47.  Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Acts 5:11.  And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

Acts 8:1.  And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.

Acts 8:3.  As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

Is the church mentioned in the chapters before chapter nine a
different church other than Christ's?
 Why would you stipulate that you are in the church started in chapter nine of Acts when it is scripturally clear that Christ's church was in existence before the time of chapter nine??
Chapter nine only speaks of the church of Christ, (His Body), that has already been in existence.

Acts 9:31.  Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 03:10:56 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2003, 03:31:59 PM »

No doubt, he was extremely uncouth, a drunkard, a womanizer, he wasn’t the greatest Priest in the world, that is for sure. But, Saul was a murderer of Christians. If God can speak thru a donkey, then he can definitely speak thru Luther. He brought up some good points. It doesn't take a Saint to point out problems. Eminem has made a career out of pointing like peoples flaws. Don’t take everyone’s criticism to heart, but if someone tells you about a problem, it would be foolish to not just take a look and see for your self.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2003, 04:15:38 PM »

No doubt, he was extremely uncouth, a drunkard, a womanizer, he wasn’t the greatest Priest in the world, that is for sure. But, Saul was a murderer of Christians. If God can speak thru a donkey, then he can definitely speak thru Luther. He brought up some good points. It doesn't take a Saint to point out problems. Eminem has made a career out of pointing like peoples flaws. Don’t take everyone’s criticism to heart, but if someone tells you about a problem, it would be foolish to not just take a look and see for your self.
"Saul was a murderer of Christians."

Show that this is true using scripture?
 Saul was a strict adherent to the Law given by God to Moses, so such a thing could not be so.
 He hauled them to prison and wreaked havoc with their assemblies but where are we told he murdered?

Saul being faithful to the law thought Christians were blasphemers and that he was right with God in his treatment of them until he saw the light so to speak.

I would appreciate your showing me the truth of him murdering Christians using scripture only.

Thanks,
Ollie
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 04:17:02 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2003, 04:25:46 PM »

I agree Luther was well intentioned initially and he made some good points.  In fact alot of the abuses he pointed out led to the counter-reformation which was needed.  

We also have to remember the Protestant reformation was not his idea.  It was born out of purely political and economic motives.  The rulers of Germany and other countries did not like the idea of the Church telling them they couldn't do things their way.  The wanted their own version of seperation of Church and State so bad that they took advantage of the uprising that grew behind Luther and others.

Luther didn't want to leave the Church at first but when faced with a hearing and probable punishment from the Church he turned to the only people he could and they exacted a huge toll for their protection.  They formed new churches and then turned to the pride of the individals of the time with the idea that no one should be submissive to the Church (even though scripture tells us to be) and that they could (with their newly found leisure time and literacy) read and understand the Bible for themselves.  

Luther himself made statements about what an error this turned out to be by referring to the common man as each becoming his own Pope and bemoaned the tremendous number of sects that arose in his life time.  If he could only see how the number has mushroomed beyond all belief.

So you see it wasn't all Luther's fault.   With out the confluence of abuse in the Church, greedy Godless leaders of state and an economic system that had finally begun to free man from day to day drudgery the reformation would have never occured the way it did.  These last two seeds for revolution have accompanied all civil strife - people just don't revolt when they are busy trying to feed themselves.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2003, 07:15:02 PM »

I technicality, Ollie. Everyone knows what I mean. Roll Eyes

Micheal-Yeah, it was a reform and a protest, meant to change the current set up, not make a whole new one.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2003, 01:44:48 AM »

I say take your advise and examine yourself with it.

You are uncouth, yourself..I am sure you do not see this frowardness of yourself.. it is the result of ignorance but there is no reason for it.

Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2003, 02:05:47 AM »

Still not playing nice, Petro? If you want to talk about things that there are no reason for... Roll Eyes

Oh, I’m uncouth? I’m ignorant? I’M 19!!!!!!!!!! Think about that for a second. Now, think about the level of tact and maturity of the average 19 year old, if you will. At this stage in a humans life, most of us are working on dispelling ignorance. Most of us are working of learning tact and political correctness so when we enter the real world, we can do so as mature, presentable adults. The average 19 year old is not tactful in the least, nor is he mature. The point of this stage of our life is to become couth, to become mature, to dispell ignorance. Yes, I am uncouth. My level of maturity is average for my age, buddy. Whether it is average for men like Luther or yourself, well, who am I to judge? I didn't know Luther, and I don't know you.

As for my “frowardness,” I assume you mean my unwillingness to agree with you (either that, or you have been reading to much Old King James Wink ). In which case, I’d say frowardness is a virtue. Besides just a few threads ago, I was wishy-washy, and didn’t know what I believed, and keep changing. Now I'm froward?  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the