Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:07:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Tongues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongues  (Read 7412 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2003, 08:15:59 PM »

Hey guys, can someone pass along a few anti-tongues verses? Verses showing Tongues isn’t for today, and things like that.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 09:53:37 PM »

Sure Bro Start here:

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1377

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 09:27:16 AM »

Hey guys, can someone pass along a few anti-tongues verses? Verses showing Tongues isn’t for today, and things like that.

The real answer to your question is that there are no verses at all that support the idea that tongues are no longer for today.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 09:29:06 AM »

The real answer to your question is that there are no verses at all that support the idea that tongues are no longer for today.

Not True Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 11:08:46 AM »

Ambassador4Christ are you saying spiritual gifts are no more?Miracles are no more?

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »

While I don’t wish to take sides, A4C, the verse in the topics you posts does seem a bit more like one mans version of a few lonely passages. These are all well and good, and this can be proof in a way, but without a verse addressing this issue directly to back you “version“ of the verse up, it kinds of loses power. As S4E would say, “that is the same method used to prove infant baptism is ok!”;D

These verse have some good stuff, but I was kind of looking for something more... direct. These verse are good, but you can use the exact same method, and prove tongues are for today Undecided

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 02:09:27 PM »

While I don’t wish to take sides, A4C, the verse in the topics you posts does seem a bit more like one mans version of a few lonely passages. These are all well and good, and this can be proof in a way, but without a verse addressing this issue directly to back you “version“ of the verse up, it kinds of loses power. As S4E would say, “that is the same method used to prove infant baptism is ok!”;D

These verse have some good stuff, but I was kind of looking for something more... direct. These verse are good, but you can use the exact same method, and prove tongues are for today Undecided

millions believe like me, I believe the Word of God. No more Goosebump religion for me. All the fakes like Jim Jones, Jim & Tammy, Oral Roberts, Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth Copeland, Jimmy Swaggert, etc, etc, etc fake tongues.

many verses to prove NO TONGUES TODAY. Grin

Grace & Peace

Happy Thanksgiving Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 02:40:22 PM »

millions believe like me, I believe the Word of God. No more Goosebump religion for me. All the fakes like Jim Jones, Jim & Tammy, Oral Roberts, Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth Copeland, Jimmy Swaggert, etc, etc, etc fake tongues.

many verses to prove NO TONGUES TODAY.

The question is not what you think of certian charasmatic teachers nor what "millions" believe and there is still not one single verse that proves "no tongues today". Not even one.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 02:54:51 PM by 3wells » Logged
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 04:12:20 PM »

Millions of people are Catholic. I’m even willing to bet there are more Catholics, of every rite, then there are anti-tongues guys in the world. So… Catholicism is the way, right?

Honestly, bro, I really would like something more solid then what you gave. It is good supporting evidence, but it has no foundation. A Charismatic would even fall for that ;-)

Yes, Goosebump religions has MANY problems. The two main ones, I think, with Charismatics are:

A. They are independent, meaning they are accountable to no man. Each pastor is his own little Pope, in charge of his flock.

B. The can’t tell the different between emotion and God. Yeah, the “spirit of God” most people calm to feel is the same thing I feel with I get really excited about a car or the way I feel after a good work-out.

Because of these things, the turn “moves of God” into “movements.” There are reasons why Manna only lasted a day, people! But, just because they tend to overdo things (WAY overdo things) doesn’t make what they do any less valid. Tongues, I do take issue with.
Holy laughter, holy crap!
Slain in the spirit, the last thing “the spirit” wants to so “slain” us.
I say, keep tongues for your prayer life. I say, if your going to laugh, go to the bathroom, and don’t disrupt the service. I say don’t use “catchers,” if they are truly “slain” I’m sure God will protect them.

The Charismatic have forgotten the meaning of the word “service.” They spend to much time with a “me, me, me” attitude. Lets try the “Charismatic gifting” in a proper setting, and I believe we would see GREAT different.

End rant. Smiley

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 04:54:16 PM »

I'd just like to point out that there is a very substantial charismatic movement within the Catholic Church.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 08:30:59 PM »

A4C maybe you over looked my qeustion?Do you beleive sipirtual gifts are no more?No more miracals?Yea i do agree there are many fakes speaking falsly in what they call tongues.

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 08:37:50 PM »

Yep. Of which I am a member. I’m CEC, we are a group of Liturgical Charismatics (shameless plug: Webpage on my profile Grin). It was a Roman Catholic priest in Southern Louisiana who brought my father into the Charismatic over 30 years ago. The same priest has been made head of the Charismatic in the Dioceses by the Bishop (an unofficial office, mind you). Anyways, you may have noticed my last sentence:

Lets try the “Charismatic gifting” in a proper setting, and I believe we would see GREAT different.

See the phrase in a proper setting? The liturgy. I think it fits just right with Paul’s words at the end of 1 Corinthians 14. I want to cry when I want to think about how this very important block of text is being ignored by the Charismatic, meanwhile, they are claiming gifts as their own, chasing everyone else away with their borderline-snake dancing behavior! Gold, tears, and falling down are not proof of the move of God.

3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 02:40:51 AM »

millions believe like me, I believe the Word of God.

Sort of like a Berean, I suppose?

Small point, but... why does someone who claims to believe the "Word of God" need to cut-and-paste from other peoples theology? Isn't the Word of God enough?

Did the Bereans cut-and-paste? Did they surf the internet to find theology to support what they had already made their minds up to believe? Did they try and defend their church doctrine against this new and controversial teaching. No, they had open minds, but followed up by looking into the Word of God for confirmation.

The good name and reputation of the Bereans is being defiled today because people are using it to justify their own fault-finding attitudes. But the truth of the matter is that these people were not negatively sceptical. They received the message with great eagerness and verified it using the only thing on this planet that is good enough to use - the Word of God.

Cessationism rests on the basis of man-made, extra-biblical theories designed to support denominational doctrine. It is not firmly anchored in the truth but must go outside the Word to support its claims. Quoting a few verses here and there does not make it scripturally sound. It requires human effort to hold it together, and that in itself speaks volumes.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 02:54:03 AM by 3wells » Logged
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 04:13:11 AM »

Small point, but... why does someone who claims to believe the "Word of God" need to cut-and-paste from other peoples theology? Isn't the Word of God enough?

Did the Bereans cut-and-paste? Did they surf the internet to find theology to support what they had already made their minds up to believe? Did they try and defend their church doctrine against this new and controversial teaching. No, they had open minds, but followed up by looking into the Word of God for confirmation.

The good name and reputation of the Bereans is being defiled today because people are using it to justify their own fault-finding attitudes. But the truth of the matter is that these people were not negatively sceptical. They received the message with great eagerness and verified it using the only thing on this planet that is good enough to use - the Word of God.

Cessationism rests on the basis of man-made, extra-biblical theories designed to support denominational doctrine. It is not firmly anchored in the truth but must go outside the Word to support its claims. Quoting a few verses here and there does not make it scripturally sound. It requires human effort to hold it together, and that in itself speaks volumes.

Just by the Word of God (THE BIBLE) No tongues  Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2003, 06:09:33 AM »

Just by the Word of God (THE BIBLE) No tongues  Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

Please elaborate!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the