Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Tongues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongues  (Read 7421 times)
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2003, 03:10:45 PM »

Hi,
  • The disciples were with Jesus for about three and a half years, day and night, still He asked them to wait in Jerusalem (Luke 24:49), why?
  • Mark 16:17~18  And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover." Does this mean/apply only to first century believers??
  • John 7:37~38  On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and proclaimed, "If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, as the scripture has said, 'Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.'" What are these rivers?
  • How do a person know that he is filled/overflow/baptized in the Holy Spirit?
If personal opinions/interpretations, please mention it. PLEASE, do NOT quote too many verses but give references. Let me do some homework. Thank you.

Live today as if you stand before God tomorrow! God has no partiality!!
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2003, 02:20:39 AM »

Hi,
  • The disciples were with Jesus for about three and a half years, day and night, still He asked them to wait in Jerusalem (Luke 24:49), why?
Your answer if found in Acts 1:1-9

[/list]
  • Mark 16:17~18  And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover." Does this mean/apply only to first century believers??
Jhn 14
8  Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9  Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

The gift of tongues has been discussed in depth on this thread, depending on whom you believe will determine, whether this gift is still around. However this verse may not be speaking of the gifts of tongues.

So the question is, do Christians speak differently today, after they bare saved, than before they were saved?

Can Christians lay hands on the sick, that they may recover, today, See (James 5:14), you be the judge.

Cast out demons, in the name of Christ?  see,  Mk 9:17-29, can Christians pray and fast today?

Consider Acts 28:1-6, can this occur today, is it possible for Chritsians to experience something similar, I am not speaking about these christians who use snakes as a way of tempting God, as they do in christian worship circles.

Also, read the OT account of the fiery serpents (Num 21:4-8), and what Jesus said concerning himself.

Jhn3
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

[/list]
  • John 7:37~38  On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and proclaimed, "If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, as the scripture has said, 'Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water.'" What are these rivers?
Notice verse 37, it was the last day of a feast day.  Which one?

A certain custom, was observed by the Jews during this feast which lasted eight days.

But, your answer is found in the next verse;

39  (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

This was the Baptism of the Holy Spirit , which was to come, refer back to your first question.

[/list]
  • How do a person know that he is filled/overflow/baptized in the Holy Spirit?
If personal opinions/interpretations, please mention it. PLEASE, do NOT quote too many verses but give references. Let me do some homework. Thank you.

You notice how Jesus used the word water in referring to the Holy Spirit. (see Titus 3:5)

Water also refers to the Word of God, in His Word, which washes away sin for instance consider; (Eph 5:26)

Consider what Jesus said to the samaritan woman at the well in John 4

1  When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
2  (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)
3  He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.
4  And he must needs go through Samaria.
5  Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.
6  Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.
7  There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
8  (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
9  Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.
10  Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
11  The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12  Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13  Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.[/b]
15  The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
16  Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
17  The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
19  The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20  Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25  The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26  Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

Then Jesus asks at John 7:37,38,39;

37  ...................If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
39  (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

So what you are really asking is,

How does one know when he has the Holy Spirit?

Ask yourself, Am I a child of God?, you know whether you are or you are not....(see Rom 8:9,11) and verse 16.

If your answer is yes, you should be filled with the spirit, assuming you are living your life for Jesus in the Spirit.

Is this what you wanted to know?

God Bless,

Petro

« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 02:48:42 AM by Petro » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the