Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  thou shalt not kill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: thou shalt not kill  (Read 20534 times)
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2007, 11:50:46 AM »

All I have left to say is that, this is an evil world and not our home. God's judgement is coming

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »

Come, Lord Jesus, Come.
Amen and Amen.  Cheesy

Let us fight the good fight!
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »

Amen & God Bless you Tom,
Thank you for keeping people safe & all you've done for our country,
I'm an OL'Devil Dog myself...  "Alway's Faithful"
Keep on, keeping on Brother!

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »

Rhys,

Sorry for delay there..missed this one

I can fault them for not thoroughly investigating the crimes to begin with and for not fairly trying them.
Investigators investigate a crime until they have all the evidence they need. 
Imagine if you will.  You bust into a locked room, there is a dead man on the floor.  And there is a man standing over him with the gun that shot him in his hand.  There is gun shot residue on his hand and some blood spatter on his clothes.  Did this man shoot him?  He says that he did not.  HOw far should an investigator go?  This man says he just came in and say the dead guy, picked up the gun and it accidentally went off.  Then the police barged in...  How long do you keep this guy hanging while you investigate other "possibilities".  Remember that the other possibilities are endless...there could have been aliens that came down and shot the guy.  Jesus could be passing judgement one person at a time and with a Smith and Wesson. 

In most of these cases there was other evidence that would cast doubt upon the verdict, but it was withheld by the prosecution to get a verdict or kept out of court on technicalities. Often the person accused couldn't afford a competent lawyer.
Technicalities.  Pesky problem they are.  However I tend to believe that if it is not credible witness testimony, or cold hard facts.  And I would honestly believe that there were more cases of guilty defendants that were thrown out of court on technicalities than there were wrongfully sentenced people on technicalities. 

The judicial system also spends way too much time on trivia and technicalities and seems to have little interest in determining the truth.
Going to love this...technically...the judicial system is not about "determining" truth.  It is about determining legalities based on current law.  20-30 years ago there were no laws pertaining to data intrusions.  They were legal under the law.  So the law had to be altered to include it.

As far as not putting enough money into the penal system, I believe we already have a higher proportion of our population in jail than any other country. Prison should only be for violent crimes, those involving arms, and people who are a danger to society. Others should be made to pay restitution as the Bible states, and/or work at community service - not the pleasant kind but hard manual labor.
While I would agree that is not anything that can be done overnight.  We have bread a country of criminals that have no respect for the law at all.  So suddenly letting the habitual drunk driver off with just doing some work is like a slap on the hand.  And as far as hard labor...we have far to many ACLU wannabees and such out there that would scream bloody murder if a prisoner had to do anything harder than picking up the trash on the side of the road.

As to appeals and the time it takes, I agree - and even a first trial takes way too long to get to. But part of this is that we have way too many laws. We are trying to regulate every aspect of human behavior with laws, and many are passed to please special interest groups. As an old Chinese proverb says: "The more laws there are the more lawbreakers there will be". If we got rid of about 3/4 of our laws the courts would be freed up to try the important ones at a much quicker pace, with much less "plea bargaining".
I actually recently started looking at this.  OUr time to trial is actually somewhat short.  If I recall my notes average time to trial was 6-9 months.  Time to sentence was just a few months past that.  Which I was OK with.  That was what I would consider quick as far as trials were concerned.  It is when they go to appeals that they start to stretch into years between trials.

Courts often aren't fair and appeals are necessary. Don't forget the Apostle Paul used the appeals process of his time.
I feel that in general our courts are fair.  And if anything they lean in favor of the defendant.  We are the originator of innocent until proven guilty.  Most all of the rest of the world the person is guilty until proven innocent.  It is there job to prove they did not commit the crime. And I believe that there are more wrongfully accused people in other countries because of that.

Tougher penalties don't necessarily cut crime. Death for drinking and driving is excessive to say the least. When I lived in Nova Scotia years ago they could confiscate your car and sell it for even having an open container. You didn't get the money. There were very few drunk driving accidents.

What does cut crime is a clear and quick relationship between crime and punishment. When years drag by before a sentence is passed, everyone has forgotten about the crime.
Agree completely.  When I was in Egypt and a cabbie was drunk and had an accident with some of my ships sailors involved...he was executed the following week.  Very quick.

Meantime the person is usually out on the street so it looks like nothing happened to them. Even if convicted they often are soon back out due to prison overcrowding. I agree fully with you that 20 years should be 20 years, and I further believe concurrent sentencing should be done away with. But I still disagree with the death penalty as once a person is dead there is no remedy if the courts made a mistake, which they too often do.
I would say yes and no as far as death penalty.  While I agree mistakes can be made.  The way I feel things should be is that during first trial you are innocent until proven guilty.  But during the appeal the role is reversed, you should have to prove that you are innocent.  I feel that you have already been found guilty, so an appeal is for you to try and prove you are innocent...not just get a new trial with different jury to possibly play the other way.  You should get one appeal unless new evidence is introduced.

But that is just my two bits.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
ludwig

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2007, 01:11:03 AM »

hi everybody the subject of killing or taking a human life or even an animal's life is a complex one.  we are taught by Christ that even hating is considered killing. aside from man's law distinguishing killing from murdering God has an absolute commandment Thou shalt not kill.  PERIOD.  the difficulty is that whereas the old testament reports killing enemies in the name of the Lord the new testament wants us to be like Christ humble gentle kind and all that.  isn't that a contradiction?  I have always been against capital punishment. take a small example - david and goliath.  we glibly refer to that as an example of faith.  killing a human?  wasn't goliath a human?  what's our stand as christians? the issue of killing is not so simple.  take the subject of terrorism.  it is said that the koran and the bible meet on common ground where the old testament is concerned.  in the old testament the idea of the Lord's people wiping out the enemies is a  recurring one.  i think the idea of jihad in the koran is similar.  how is it that we christians don't go out and kill enemies in the name of the Lord these days?  isn't the answer obvious?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:38 AM »

No the koran teachings and the Old Testament teachings do not coincide and no there is not a contradiction between the Old and New Testament teachings in this subject. The only contradiction between OT and NT and any comparison between the koran and the OT are just in man's mind and is a misunderstanding of the teachings of the Bible. Jesus even explained this in great detail. As I have already said, unfortunately many take this to one extreme or the other.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:03 AM »

hi everybody the subject of killing or taking a human life or even an animal's life is a complex one.  we are taught by Christ that even hating is considered killing. aside from man's law distinguishing killing from murdering God has an absolute commandment Thou shalt not kill.  PERIOD.  the difficulty is that whereas the old testament reports killing enemies in the name of the Lord the new testament wants us to be like Christ humble gentle kind and all that.  isn't that a contradiction?  I have always been against capital punishment. take a small example - david and goliath.  we glibly refer to that as an example of faith.  killing a human?  wasn't goliath a human?  what's our stand as christians? the issue of killing is not so simple.  take the subject of terrorism.  it is said that the koran and the bible meet on common ground where the old testament is concerned.  in the old testament the idea of the Lord's people wiping out the enemies is a  recurring one.  i think the idea of jihad in the koran is similar.  how is it that we christians don't go out and kill enemies in the name of the Lord these days?  isn't the answer obvious?

Hi ludwig,

It is fairly clear that the Bible manifests the attribute of having many specifically fulfilled prophetic predictions, which constitutes powerful evidence that the Bible truly originates from true prophets of the true almighty God. The Bible meets the challenge which God set out. To predict events of human history. In contrast, however, there does not seem to be a single specific prediction of human history in the Koran which is unique and original to the Koran and was not found in the Bible first such as some end-time judgment concepts. This lack of predictive power is an announcement that the Koran does not clearly demonstrate God's power and authority within its pages. It fails to meet God's challenge.

What's more, when the Bible's predictive prophecies by comparison are pulled into the discussion, the failure of the Koran to demonstrate such power of truly being authored by the true God stands out even more. This situation is glaringly exhibited when one compares it to something like the amazing accuracy of the predictive prophecy of Jeremiah concerning the 70-year captivity of Judah in Babylon, which ended right at 70 years!

Similar to Jeremiah's 70-year prophecy, the prophet Daniel accurately predicted the year hundreds of years in advance in which Jesus of Nazareth would be ministering! And if you want to study that particular prediction more in depth, as well as additional fulfilled predictions from the Bible, they can be found on the forum, using the Advanced Search function on the forum.

If any prophecy is found in the Koran which is virtually and essentially the same as a predictive prophecy from the Bible, then that quranic prophecy must be regarded as having been copied and originally coming from the Bible so it cannot be credited to the Koran as a prediction, because the Bible is hundreds of years older than the Koran, and it is well known that Mohammed studied and discussed the Bible with both Christians and Jews in Syria and Medina.

It might be possible (but I doubt it) that Mohammed never actually intended to be considered a prophet, nor that the Koran was to be thought of as scripture, but that Mohammed just wanted to write commentary and human opinions about God, so that the Koran may be considered to be a history, or great prose and poetry, and a religious commentary, however, it cannot be said to be actual scripture with the true words of God.

The Koran does accept the Bible as being true revelation from God, however, the Bible's standard rejects the Koran as revelation from God because the predictive power of God is not present there. The only true and tested Word of God, is the Bible. Heaven and Earth may pass away, but it will never pass away Matthew 24:35  and we can trust these words from Jesus, because he gave a prophetic prediction among other predictions that he would be resurrected after being dead for three days Matthew 12:40, 16:21 and resurrect he did!

May I suggest that you read some of Peaceful religion isn't spelled Islam this link is on the forum.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »

One thing to add DW is that the Koran does accept that the Jews and the Christians were given the revelations by God....however it teaches that the Jews and the Christians twisted the Word of God.  Islam teaches that what we call the Bible is a corrupted book that man has altered and twisted to serve his own purpose. 
That is how they defend themselves against Christian teachings by laying claim to our book being corrupted.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »

Yet, recently an imam just came out in so many words and said the koran was corrupt (naturally they didn't use that specific word as it would have been considered blasphemous) and a group of them are rewriting it to make it more compliant.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

One thing to add DW is that the Koran does accept that the Jews and the Christians were given the revelations by God....however it teaches that the Jews and the Christians twisted the Word of God.  Islam teaches that what we call the Bible is a corrupted book that man has altered and twisted to serve his own purpose. 
That is how they defend themselves against Christian teachings by laying claim to our book being corrupted.

This too is what I've come to learn about that....
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

The real story would be LIKE me plagiarizing portions of Psalms that I liked - changing things however I want them - removing some portions - adding some portions - and calling the ancient one FALSE and the new one REAL. In other words, THEFT AND FRAUD. They would have been better off in just making up a completely new religion. Recorded history would also have to be wrong. This is one sad and obviously unbelievable story.

The above is just an example. The facts are ugly and not nearly as nice.

curious

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »

In the Hebrew,in which it was written in,it does not say
Thou shalt not kill,it says No murder. There is a BIG
difference between Murder & Kill.

Yours in Yeshua,
                          Curious
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the