Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Give Me That Old Time Gospel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give Me That Old Time Gospel  (Read 135553 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: January 06, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »

ALL THAT LIVE GODLY --- 2 Timothy 3:12

"All that live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. 2 Timothy 3:12. The world hated them because they are not of the world. John 17:14.

The children of God do not love and please the world, and are often times greatly afflicted on account of abounding wickedness, and particularly the profanation of the Lord's name. Now, when you can like the world, and the world can like you, there must be much worldliness in you; for the world loves its own.

Many pretend to be Christians, but they will not endure persecution. Instead of this they blame others for too much rashness, and not acting prudently enough to avoid the mockings and hatred of the world.

Therefore, they propose to take wiser measures; and, in order to do more good, take great care not to be despised or rejected; but under this pretence of wisdom and prudence, very often lies concealed a dangerous love of the world and fear of man.

Be thou nobler minded, live as Christians indeed, and be not ashamed to bear the cross of Christ. "The disciple is not above his master." Has eternal love, wisdom, and power endured the contradiction and reproach of sinners? Thou shouldst be wiser than him indeed, if thou couldst escape the reproach and hatred of the world.

May but his grace my soul renew,
Let sinners gaze and hate me too;
The word that saves me does engage
A sure defence from all their rage.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 06, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE --- Mark 9:23.

"All things are possible to him that believeth." --- Mark 9:23.

Faith is the principle thing in the Christian religion. It is the spiritual eyes enlightening the mind, directing the feet, and cheering the heart; the whole turns upon it. As our faith is, so is our strength and fruitfulness in good works.

But, at the same time there is nothing more out of our own power than to believe, even after the work of grace has been actually wrought in our hearts. Therefore, nothing is more needful than to pray for faith as long as we live. May the Lord give and increase it continually!

Nothing can be stronger in the universe than the hand of faith. By this we lay sure hold on our most glorious and almighty Lord in heaven; and such an inviolable union is established between Christ and a believing soul, that none can separate the one from the other; all the powers of hell and sin avail nothing against it.

Faith breaks through the greatest obstacles, removes mountains of difficulties and has, as it were, a kind of omnipotence in it. For "this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." 1 John 5:4.

Nay, it even wrestles with God, and prevails. Genesis 32:28. As straw cannot withstand the force of fire, so God being a wall of fire around his people, the greatest power of our mighty enemies shall be consumed like the stubble. Oh, then, look upon them steadfastly, my soul, and believe in him with a simple heart.

Wondrous are his ways with his people, and past finding out; but, at last, all their sorrows and strife, by the management of his infinite wisdom, must come to a glorious and triumphant end.

Oh let us go from strength to strength
From grace to greater grace,
From one degree of faith to more,
Till we behold thy face.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: January 08, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »

CHRIST IS ALL IN ALL --- Colossians 3:11.

"Christ is all, and in all." --- Colossians 3:11.

For a believer to receive and know Christ as his All, is the only means to live truly a life of faith; and when he has done this, it will not be hard to resign all other things.

To talk much of Christ, and make frequent use of his name to one another, is commendable, if the heart goes along with the words; but to call upon God the Father with a filial confidence is also our duty, and does not contradict the apostle's meaning at all, for it is only through Christ we can do it; and, as he says himself, the Father and He are one.

Thou art my All, O gracious Lord!-- what then can I want? I desire no more than to be put always in mind by the animating voice of thy Spirit.

My Lord, my life, my love,
To thee, to thee I call;
I cannot live if thou remove,
For thou art all in all.

Thy shining grace can cheer
This dungeon where I dwell;
'Tis paradise when thou art here;
If thou depart, 'tis hell.

Nor earth, nor all the sky,
Can one delight afford;
No, not a drop of real joy,
Without thy presence, Lord.

To thee my spirits fly
With fulness of desire;
And yet how far from thee I lie!
Dear Jesus, raise me higher.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 08, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »

IGNORANT OF GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS --- Romans 10:3, 11.

"They being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." --- Romans 10:3, 11.

The same mistake which proved so fatal to the Jews, proved equally fatal to many who pretend to call themselves Christians. Ignorant alike of the Divine character and their own, they build their hope of the favour of God and eternal life upon some works of righteousness which they have done or intend to do, and reject the righteousness of Christ, in which alone they can be justified and accepted.

In this mistake the decent and the profane are equally involved; for the worst of mankind fancy themselves possessed of some virtues and good qualities that will entitle them to Divine favour.

The delusion remains till the light of the Holy Spirit darts in, like a sunbeam, upon the mind, and discovers the guilt and pollution that defile the best of us. We then abhor ourselves, and look to the free grace of God in Christ Jesus for pardon and salvation. We have a hope that maketh not ashamed.

Jesus, thy blood and righteousness
My beauty are, my glorious dress;
'Midst flaming worlds, in these array'd,
With joy shall I lift my head.

Bold shall I stand in that great day,
For who aught to my charge shall lay?
Fully through thee absolved I am,
From sin and fear, from guilt and shame.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »

GREAT PEACE HAVE THEY--- 119:165.

"I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O Lord: I will keep thy statutes. Great peace have they which love thy law, and nothing shall offend them. I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies; for all my ways are before thee. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments." --- Psalm 119:145, 165, 168, 176.

The word of God should ever be connected with prayer; for why is it many hear and read without being the better? They do not pray in faith for a blessing.

We must, like David, pray with the utmost fervour, that we may understand and retain the word of God, and bring forth fruit; for a Christian has nothing so much at heart as that he may always act up to the word and will of God: his prayer is, Lord, let my footsteps be sure, according to thy word; and let nothing contary to thy law have dominion over me, either in my doctrine or practice.

If this prayer be granted, great will be our peace: Jesus himself will be our peace, and then nothing shall offend us; we shall take heed unto all our ways before God, and so walk before him as to continue humble, like David, who considered himself as a straying and lost sheep. Lord, we are by nature straying and lost sheep; seek and fetch us back from the error of our ways, and preserve us in thy pastures.

My soul has gone too far astray,
My feet too often slip;
Yet since I've not forgot thy way
Restore thy wand'ring sheep.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 11, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

FOR GOD SO LOVED THE WORLD --- John 3:16-18.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should nor perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned." --- John 3:16-18.

Oh that these truly precious words were ever warmly impressed on our hearts; That they were our last thoughts at night, and the first at our waking in the morning, and that they were improved in such a manner as to make our dying bed easy in the evening of our life, and to ensure our rising with gladness in the morning of the resurrection!

And what more blessed and delightful meditations can I daily dwell upon than to think thus: God has loved me, even me, when I was his enemy; and so loved me, that he gave me his only Son!

"Bless me with faith in Christ, then Christ is mine, and all things are mine; 1 Corinthians 3:21.; for "He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?" Romans 8:32.

He will never suffer a believing soul to perish; he has passed his word for it. It is he that says, "I shall not perish, I shall not be condemned," but have everlasting life, if I believe. This will I build and depend upon to my last moments, as upon an immovable rock. Amen and Amen.

Oh, for this love let earth and skies
With hallelujahs ring,
And the full choir of human tongues
All hallelujahs sing!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 12, 2009, 10:56:03 AM »

"Awesome Wisdom"

The Reed family was seated around their picnic table, playing a board game, when Emma looked up. "Oh! Not again!" she wailed.

Jack groaned. Friskie, their collie, was almost totally covered with cockleburs! "I suppose you just had to chase after a squirrel," said Jack, "or was it a rabbit this time?"

"Daddy, why did God ever create cocklebur plants?" asked Emma.

"I don't know exactly," replied Dad, "but I heard of another dog who was covered with cockleburs several years ago. While his owner was picking them off, he noticed the small hooks on the burs and how they clung to each other. That gave him an idea which probably increased his bank account." Dad grinned at Emma. "What holds the strap in place across the top of your sandals?" he asked.

Emma pulled one strap loose. "It's that stuff that sticks together," she said.

"It's called Velcro," Mom told her.

Dad nodded. "The man who invented it got the idea from those cockleburs," he said. "He's just one of many people who watched and examined things in nature and then used what they learned to invent or improve items we now enjoy. God's wisdom has been discovered in hundreds of the things He created."

Jack slapped at a mosquito. "I bet no one found any use for mosquitoes, though," he said.

Dad smiled. "Actually, scientists are examining mosquitoes," he told the kids. "They want to see if they can learn something from them to make the hypodermic needle less painful."

"Wow! That would be great!" exclaimed Jack. "And I thought the only good mosquito was a dead one!"

Dad smiled. "All of creation shows us that we have an awesome God," he said. "Let's never forget that."

"Yes, we can trust God's wisdom even in the hard times," Mom said with a smile. She looked at Friskie. "And right now, you better get at the hard task of removing all those burs from Friskie's coat!"

HOW ABOUT YOU?
Do you sometimes wonder why God created things that seem bad to you? God never wastes anything. You'd no doubt be amazed if you could know God's purpose in all the things He made. As the Psalm writer put it, "In wisdom He made them all." Enjoy all the wonderful things He created. Acknowledge that, in His awesome wisdom, God has a purpose for everything-even for those things that don't seem beautiful or good to you.

TODAY'S KEY VERSE:
O Lord, how manifold are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all. Psalm 104:24

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 13, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »

WE HAVE REDEMPTION --- Colossians 1:14.

"In whom (Christ) we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins." --- Colossians 1:14. "Having forgiven you all trespasses. Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross. --- Colossians 2:13, 14. "Therefore, he said, It is finished." --- John 19:30.

Hast thou, O my soul, felt the weight of thy own guilt and misery, and been enabled, in reality and truth, to lay hold by faith on the blood of Christ by redemption, and faithfully devote thyself to him in heart and life? Then hast thou a sure foundation to go upon; let it be thy constant care firmly to depend upon these and such-like blessed declarations; look to Jesus for every blessing thou standest in need of.

Hast Christ brought life and immortality to light? -- then look to him and live. Is there redemption through his blood, even forgiveness of sins? -- then throw all thy guilt upon his atonement. Has he blotted out the handwriting of ordinances that was against thee? -- then shake off self-righteous dependencies and legal fears also.

Did he die for thy sins? -- then let his goodness and love lead thee to unfeigned repentance; let the sense of thy sins break thine heart, but encourage thy hope in the gospel.

Not all the blood of beasts,
On Jewish altars slain,
Could give the guilty conscience peace,
Or wash away the stain.

But Christ, the heavenly Lamb,
Takes all our sin away;
A sacrifice of nobler name,
And richer blood than they.

My faith would lay her hand
On that dear head of thine,
While like a penitent I stand,
And there confess my sin.

My soul looks back to see
The burdens thou didst bear,
When hanging on the cursed tree,
And hopes her guilt was there.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 14, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »

UNDER HIS WINGS --- Psalm 91:4 and 17:8

"Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings." Psalm 17:8.

Divine Answer. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust. His truth shall be thy shield and buckler." --- Psalm 91:4.

There is none, O Lord, that has more need continually to keep close to thee in prayer and faith; and at the same time none is more unable to do it than I, the least of all thy flock.

O that thou wouldst be graciously pleased to incline and enable me to this blessed work; and grant that thy good Spirit, according to his own pleasure, may never suffer me to be faint and backward in the same.
Whilst I truly rest my faith under the wings of grace, I am sure of defence, power and comfort; but as soon as I wander from thee, I am in danger of losing the comfortable sense of these privileges, and falling into various errors and perplexities.

"Guide me, O Lord, by thy counsel in this world, and at last receive me into glory." Amen.

He that has made his refuge God
Shall find a most secure abode;
Shall walk all day beneath his shade,
And there at night shall rest his head.

Just as a hen protects her brood
From birds of prey that seek their blood
Under her feathers; so the Lord
Makes his own arm his people's guard.

Thrice happy man! thy Maker's care
Shall keep thee from the fowler's snare;
Satan the fowler, who betrays
Unguarded souls a thousand ways.

What though a thousand at thy side
At thy right hand two thousand died?
Thy God his chosen people saves,
Amongst the dead, amidst the graves.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 14, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »

THEIRS IS THE KINGDOM --- Matthew 4:17 and 5:3.

"From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." --- Matthew 4:17.

The kingdom of heaven pertains to those who repent; And the first mark of repentance is poverty of spirit: whence Jesus saith, chapter 5:3, "Blessed are the poor in spirit; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

John preached repentance; Jesus preaches it here, and so did the apostles preach afterwards.

This true repentance is necesary for all; and the beginning of it is to acknowledge ourselves poor miserable sinners, depraved by nature, and totally void of any righteousness or worth of our own; to confess our nakedness; to drop all the fig leaves of vain excuses and false comforts; to lay open our poverty and wants before God, to accuse ourselves and plead guilty of all our sins, and to seek mercy from Christ.

If we do this we are blessed, and the kingdom of God is ours. This poverty of spirit is both the first and last foundation laid in the heart; for the faithful are more and more grounded in poverty of spirit the nearer they approach to their consumation.

Pure are the joys above the sky,
And all the regions peace;
No wanton lips, no envious eye,
Can see or taste the bliss.

For holy gates forever bar
Pollution, sin and shame;
None shall obtain admittance there
But followers of the Lamb.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

PRAY WITHOUT CEASING --- 1 Thessalonians 5:17

"Pray without ceasing." --- 1 Thessalonians 5:17.

If we have not grace enough, it is because we do not pray enough; for most true it is, we need not strive to move God to compassion, and extort, as it were, the blessings from him by our prayers, which he has promised; very far from it.

He is every minute communicating himself to us; in every word he holds forth Christ and every good thing to us; but we must always have a soul hungering after Christ, and by incessant prayer stretch out the hand of faith to receive him.

This is chiefly to be understood of the inward desires and groanings of our spirit; but we must not omit to pour out our supplications daily, as oft as we can, by words; else our secret mental prayers at last may become so secret as to cease perhaps entirely.

Holy Father, lend an ear,
Whilst I sue in Jesus' name;
Surely thou wilt kindly hear,
Since I bring no human claim;
Let me for adoption stay,
Only give me power to pray.

Grant me comfort, or deny;
Visit, or from me depart;
Only let thy Spirit cry
Abba, Father, in my heart!
Abba, Father, would I say,
Only give me power to pray.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 17, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »

ABIDE IN ME --- John 6:68.

"Abide in me." --- John 15:4.

"Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." --- John 6:68.

"It is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God." --- Psalm 73:28.

To abide in Christ, who is our righeousness and strength, and not to be moved from him, is the very life and power of Christianity. We do this when our thoughts are going out after him, our hearts cleaving to him, and our minds stayed upon him.

Now, to know Christ, and thus to abide in him, as our righteousness, brings peace and joy; which joy in the Lord is certainly followed with strength to overcome sin and the world, which believers renounce the more readily, as they have found something better in Christ. May the Lord give me grace likewise immoveably to abide in him!

Christ is my life, my light, my care,
My blessed hope, my heavenly prize;
Dearer than all possessions are,
Chief of ten thousand in my eyes.

My God, and can a humble child,
That loves thee with a flame so high,
Be ever from thy face exiled,
Without the pity of thine eye?

Impossible! for thine own hands
Have tied my heart so close to thee,
And in thy book thy promise stands,
That where thou art, thy friends must be.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 17, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »

CHRIST HATH REDEEMED US --- Galatians 3:13-14.

"Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us; for it is written, Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree: that the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." --- Galatians 3:13-14.

The spirit of sanctification is the gift of Christ. Consequently there is a great difference between moral actions done by our own strength, and true sanctification of the Spirit.

The latter cannot take place before the soul truly receives Christ, and abides in him as its only propitiation, righteousness and peace; for he being first made to us of God our righteousness, will then be made our sanctification likewise; (1 Corinthians 1:30.) and the kingdom, work, and image of God will go on best when we trust least to our own strength.

Sanctification is now become a more easy task since Christ lives and works in us, and we, in child like temper, live henceforth to him who died for us.

The law commands and makes us know
What duties to our God we owe;
But 'tis the gospel must reveal
Where lies the strength to do his will.

The law discovers guilt and sin,
And showed how vile our hearts have been,
Only the gospel can express
Forgiving love and cleansing grace.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 18, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »

END OF THE LAW --- Romans 10:4

"Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." --- Romans 10:4.

The law calls for a perfect righteousness, which, in ourselves, never will be found: but all its demands were fulfilled by our Surety.

Every true believer finds that righteousness in Christ which he stands in need of; and is enabled, through the Spirit, to rest upon it for justification; he faithfully endeavours to obey the law as the great rule of his duty, both to God and man; yet is so sensible of his own manifold defects, that he would utterly depair, if he could not look up to Jesus, and say, "Thou shalt answer me, O Lord, my God."

Lord, when my thoughts with wonder roll
O'er the sharp sorrows of thy soul,
And read my Maker's broken laws
Repair'd and honour'd by thy cross.

When I behold death, hell and sin
Vanquish'd by that dear blood of thine,
And see the Man that groan'd and died
Sit glorious by his Father's side:

My passions rise and soar above;
I'm wing'd with faith, and fired with love:
Fain would I reach eternal things,
And learn the notes that Gabriel sings.

But my heart fails, my tongue complains,
For want of their immortal strains;
And in such humble notes as these
Must fall below thy victories.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »

END OF THE LAW --- Romans 10:4

"Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." --- Romans 10:4.

The law calls for a perfect righteousness, which, in ourselves, never will be found: but all its demands were fulfilled by our Surety.

Every true believer finds that righteousness in Christ which he stands in need of; and is enabled, through the Spirit, to rest upon it for justification; he faithfully endeavours to obey the law as the great rule of his duty, both to God and man; yet is so sensible of his own manifold defects, that he would utterly depair, if he could not look up to Jesus, and say, "Thou shalt answer me, O Lord, my God."

Lord, when my thoughts with wonder roll
O'er the sharp sorrows of thy soul,
And read my Maker's broken laws
Repair'd and honour'd by thy cross.

When I behold death, hell and sin
Vanquish'd by that dear blood of thine,
And see the Man that groan'd and died
Sit glorious by his Father's side:

My passions rise and soar above;
I'm wing'd with faith, and fired with love:
Fain would I reach eternal things,
And learn the notes that Gabriel sings.

But my heart fails, my tongue complains,
For want of their immortal strains;
And in such humble notes as these
Must fall below thy victories.

AMEN! This is a beautiful series that many enjoy. YES, for those of us who believe, JESUS CHRIST brought the Law to an END!

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 104 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the