Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Give Me That Old Time Gospel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give Me That Old Time Gospel  (Read 135530 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 20, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »

UNDER HIS WINGS --- Genesis 8:9

"For the dove found no rest for the soul of her feet, and she returned unto him (Noah) into the ark; then he put forth his hand and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark." --- Genesis 8:9.

That dove-like spirit, communicated to the soul in regeneration, can find no rest for the soul of its foot, until it brings us to Jesus, who is the great ark of the covenant. Many, on their first awakening from sin, apply themselves to very hard works and rigorous duties, thereby expecting to to find rest for their wounded consciences.

But though the right and diligent use of all the means of grace is absolutely required, yet great care must be taken not to quiet ourselves by that only.

We should not place any confidence at all in our own doings, but only look for rest through the blood of Christ.

To be found in him, justified and accepted, would soon fill our hearts with peace, nay, encourage and enable us to do good works.

In vain the trembling conscience seeks
Some solid ground for rest;
With long despair the spirit breaks,
Till we apply to Christ.

Just as we see the lonesome dove
Bemoan her widow'd state;
Wand'ring she flies through all the grove
And mourns her loving mate.

Just so our thoughts from thing to thing
In restless circles rove;
Just as we droop and hang the wing
When Jesus hides his love.

While Jesus shines with quickening grace,
We sing and mount on high;
But if a frown becloud his face
We faint, and tire, and die.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 20, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »

LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER --- John 13:35

"By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love for one to another." John 13:35.

". . . forbearing one another in love. Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. . . . let not the sun go down upon your wrath. And be ye kind one to another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:2, 3, 26, 32.

Humble Christians never affect singularly, nor pretend to have preference one to another: they rather study to be of one mind, and strive not about words, lest the general harmony subsisting between them; and the edification of souls be hindered.

Whoever judges and blames everything and can never agree in words and notions, or join in devotion with other experienced Christians is puffed up with self conceit, and in the way to make a dangerous shipwreck; for pride comes before a fall.

Not diff'rent food, or diff'rent dress,
Compose the kingdom of the Lord,
But peace, and joy, and righteousness,
Faith, and obedience to his word.

When weaker Christians we despise,
We do the gospel mighty wrong;
For God, the gracious and the wise,
Receives the feeble with the strong.

Let pride and wrath be banish'd hence
Meekness and love our souls pursue;
Nor shall our grace give offence
To saints, the Gentiles or the Jew.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »

WHILE THE BRIDEGROOM TARRIED --- Matthew 25:5.

"While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept." --- Matthew 25:5.

Oh that I may be roused out of my slumber, and be watchful and ready against the coming of my Bridegroom!

How many are there that set out in good earnest in their way to heaven, and run well for some time, but at last are lulled to rest, and entangled again with a false notion of liberty!

Even the wise virgins fell asleep. Let this be a warning to me, O Lord. Set thou a guard before my eyes, ears, and other faculties, lest the world again should enter through these avenues of the heart; if the spark be not speedily extinguished, it will soon break out into a flame: thus sin is of a progressive nature, and its vemon spreads very quickly and very wide, unless it be stopped and opposed in time.

Watch, therefore, over this unsteady heart of mine, O thou Keeper of Israel; that as soon as it begins to wander from thee, I may be alarmed to flee from sin as from a serpent.

Give me grace to look upon every hour as my last; so that being ever wisely upon my guard, I may meet thee with joy when my time is run out, whenever it shall please thee to call me hence.

The fearful soul that tires and faints,
And walks the ways of God no more,
Though number'd once among the saints
Now makes his own destruction sure.

Lord, let not all my hopes be vain,
Create my heart entirely new;
Which hypocrites could ne'er attain,
Which false apostates never knew.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 22, 2009, 12:41:38 PM »

WHILE MEN SLEPT --- Matthew 13:25

"But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat." --- Matthew 13:25.

No wonder that Christians lose their power and strength, if the enemy of souls find them asleep. How soon may he gain an advantage from without, if a strict guard is not kept within!

Though Satan seems to sleep sometimes, and we should, by all appearance, be in no great danger, it is only his stratagem to make us careless. He never fails to be vigilant, and watch his opportunity, that he may offer us battle with advantage; and who knows but he may gain the victory by those very sins to which perhaps we, for many years, had hardly any temptation?

Oh, how cunningly does he work! how enticing is the world! Even in lawful things, very often, the most dangerous snares lie hidden. A single word that we hear may be able to disturb our peace. One unguarded look is sometimes enough to infatuate our hearts.

There is danger on all sides. Unless the Lord open our eyes, and preserve us on all occasions, each of us, even the best may still be overcome and deadly hurt by sin and the world. Satan is particularly busy to sift the godly most of all; and having caught them in the net, triumphs exceedingly over them. O Lord, suffer me never to fall asleep again.

Help me to watch and pray,
And on thyself rely;
And let me ne'er my trust betray,
Lest I for ever die.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 23, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »

THEIR CRY CAME UNTO GOD --- Exodus 1:12; 2:23, 25

"But the more they afflicted them, the more they multiplied and grew. . . . And the children of Israel sighed by reason of the bondage, and they cried, and their cry came up unto God by reason of the bondage. . . . And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God had respect unto them." --- Exodus 1:12; 2:23, 25.

The more we are oppressed by our spiritual and temporal enemies, the more will the kingdom of God increase in and through us. And when distress and dangers oppress us most, God hastens to our aid, and makes our necessity itself the means of our relief; for the ways of God are always wonderful.

It was an extreme distress when the children of the Israelites were cast into the river; but this was the means of preserving Moses, their intended deliverer.

When Moses came, they were not relieved immediately, for their calamities increased. This is God's method. But they cried the more unto God, and he relieved them by signs and wonders.

After this, their distress was greater than ever at the Red Sea; for, after God has shown his glory in assisting us, he can still send greater trials. But when they were beset on all sides by distress and death, then came the most glorious succour of all, and their enemies perished in the Red Sea.

Lord, suffer us not to despair in any extremity, but enable us to believe and experience that the greater our distress, the nearer and more glorious will be thy aid, and all our enemies will be consumed as stubble before the devouring flame.

Lord, I am thine; but thou wilt prove
My faith, my patience and my love;
When men of spite against me join,
They are the sword, the hand is thine.

What sinners value, I resign;
Lord, 'tis enough that thou art mine
I shall behold thy blissful face,
And stand complete in righteousness.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 24, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »

HEREIN IS LOVE --- 1 John 4:10, 19

"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. . . . We love him because he first loved us." --- 1 John 4:10, 19.

". . . and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. . . . we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." --- John 14:21, 23.

Oh, what a glorious promise! what manner of love is this! Lord, I would not exchange my cross and sufferings, much less thy love, for the love and honours of the world.

Only make it more known to me how great thy love is, and how much thou hast forgiven me, that I may love thee much again, and be thereby still better purged from the inordinate love of temporal things.

It is my earnest desire that the gates of my heart should be open to none but thee, that thou alone mayest dwell in me. Shed thy love abroad in my heart, quicken and renew all the faculties of my mind and body, and work everything in and for me.

Oh! for this love let rocks and hills
Their lasting silence break,
And all harmonious human tongues
The Saviour's praises speak.

Yes; we will praise thee, dearest Lord,
Oh set each heart on flame!
Hosanna round the spacious earth,
To thine adored name.

Angels, assist our mighty joys,
Strike all your harps of gold;
But, when you raise your highest notes,
His love can ne'er be told.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 25, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »

ACCEPTED OF HIM --- 2 Corinthians 5:9

"Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him." --- 2 Corinthians 5:9.

This indeed is the true disposition of a soul espoused to Christ. She has but one care, which is, to please him in all things. And this desire to do his will is, as it were, the ring and seal of her Bridegroom; which she may look upon, even in the absence of all spiritual joy, as a token for good that she is his spouse.

Ought not, then, this day, O my soul, to be a new wedding-day with Christ? He is desirous that thou shouldst be betrothed unto him, even now, and waits only for thy consent.

Hearken, O daughter, consider and incline thine ear; be no longer married to the world. Forget thine own people, and thy father's house, and take him alone for thy husband, so shall the King greatly desire thy beauty.

Wilt thou give the refusal to this glorious and loving Saviour? I hope not. Give it rather to the world, and resolutely say, I have done with thee, O poor world! I break the bonds of my former love; my eyes and feet shall henceforth only be directed to the blessed and eternal city of the new Jerusalem, where my heavenly Bridegroom resides.

And oh! what need I have to be duly prepared, dressed, and beautified, against his coming, and the time of his taking me home to himself! Lord Jesus, keep me longing for thine appearance.

If Christ is ours, we may despise
All rage, though hell against us rise;
His love experienced will impart
Immortal transport to the heart.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 26, 2009, 10:01:09 AM »

LET US THEREFORE COME BOLDLY --- Hebrews 4:16

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." --- Hebrews 4:16.

Oh that we were all so wise as to prepare and provide ourselves in due time with the right armour of faith, before the time of need and hour of death approach!

Come, my reader, let us begin now, and go directly to the gate of mercy, lest we should come too late, and be undone. Behold the encouragement of Christ: "I am the door," says he, "and the way." John 10:9; 14:6.

Now, by this door you may find the entrance into the heart and favour of God, Christ himself sitting on a mercy seat to receive and welcome the vilest of sinners.

And there is no drawing near to God but through him, and clothed in the robes of the righteousness of our only Redeemer, Mediator, and Advocate. He is the Alpha, and Omega, the Beginning and the End: nay, the very ALL in ALL to believers. With Christ they can never part, and he can never part with them.

Of him who did salvation bring
I could for ever think and sing:
Arise, ye guilty, he'll forgive;
Arise, ye poor, he will relieve.

Ask but his grace, and lo! 'tis given;
Ask, and he turns your hell to heaven;
Though sin and sorrow wound my soul,
Jesus, thy balm can make it whole.

Guide thou, O Lord, guide thou my course,
And draw me on with thy sweet force;
Still make me walk, still make me tend,
By thee, my way, to God, my end.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 27, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

GOD COMMENDETH HIS LOVE --- Romans 5:8-10

"God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." --- Romans 5:8-10.

Here we have much more reason to cry out than Moses, Deuteronomy 33:3. ". . . he (the Lord) loved the people:" but here I must beseech thee too, O Lord, that this infinite gift of thy Son may appear greater to me and greater every day; and that thy love, shining out in his redemption, may go on so to increase in my soul as to diperse all clouds of darkness, unbelief, and hard thoughts of thy goodness.

Whenever this slanderous spirit tries to lift up his head, grant that my faith and love may be quickened and strengthened in such a manner, as heartily to praise thy great love, in spite of all his suggestions; this is the chief desire which I offer unto to thee in all my prayers night and day.

The want of faith and love, I am sensible, is still my greatest want; my soul is like a large empty vessel; but I pray thee to fill it speedily, notwithstanding any opposition that may be made by my unrenewed part.

Come, guilty souls, and flee away,
Like doves, to Jesus' wounds;
This is the welcome gospel-day,
Wherein free grace abounds.

God loved the world, and gave his Son
To drink the cup of wrath;
And Jesus says he'll cast out none
That come to him by faith.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 28, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »

HEREUNTO WERE YE CALLED --- 1 Peter 2:21..

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps." --- 1 Peter 2:21.

To believe in Christ for justification is but one half of the duty of faith; it respects Christ only as he died and suffered for us, as he made atonement for our sins, peace with God, and reconciliation for us, and as our righteousness; unto these ends, he is, indeed, primarily and principally proposed unto us in the gospel; and with respect unto them, we are exhorted to receive, and to believe in him.

But this not all that is required of us: Christ in the gospel is proposed unto us as our pattern and example of holiness; and as it is a cursed imagination that the whole end of his life and death was to exemplify and confirm the doctrine of holiness which he preached, so to neglect his being our example, in considering him by faith unto that end, and labouring after conformity to him, is evil and pernicious; wherefore let us be much in contemplation of what he was, what he did, how in all instances of duties and trials he carried himself, until a glorious image of his perfect holiness is implanted in our minds and we are made like unto him thereby.

Let me walk with Christ below,
In his likeness daily grow;
Follow him, and run my race,
Daily nourish'd by his grace.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »

THE OBEDIENCE OF FAITH --- Romans 16:26.

". . . (the gospel is) made known to all nations for the obedience of faith." --- Romans 16:26.

The obedience of faith here spoken of, is the same thing as believing the report of the gospel, Romans 10:16.

A hearty submission to the righteousness of God, even to Christ, who is the end of the law for righteousness to every one who believeth; this is the obedience of faith, strictly speaking, by which we give glory to God, take full shame of ourselves, renounce all that nature is proud of, and are brought to rest for our justification and acceptance with God, on that alone which has satisfied his law and justice.

However slightly we may be disposed to pass over this, it is a high point of obedience, not easily brought about in such a creature as man, and needing an effectual light and energy from above.

It is taught purely from above; and he who would learn it must seek it by prayer continually; for in vain shall we strive to obey God in other things, until we learn to obey him in this.

Careless reader, see to it that you learn your need of Christ. Awakened and distressed sinner, seek not to heal yourself by a forced obedience, learn the obedience of faith, that you may be purged in your conscience from dead works to serve God. Self-despairing sinner, obey the gospel-call of God to your soul and live. Believer, let your fruit be holiness.

Within me, Lord, thy Spirit place,
Conveying health, and peace, and power;
And let me daily grow in grace,
That I may love and serve thee more.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:27 AM »

COME UNTO ME --- Matthew 11:28.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour, and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." --- Matthew 11:28.

This is a free invitation to every weary and heavy-laden sinner, made by Him who alone is able to take away the load and guilt of sin.

Every person under the pressure of sin, not only may, but must, come to Jesus, thus laden with guilt, if he hopes to succeed for pardon. While we endeavour to prepare our way by holy qualifications, we rather fill it with stumbling blocks, whereby our souls are hindered from attaining to salvation of Christ.

Christ would have us believe on him who justifies the ungodly, and therefore he doth not require us to be godly before we believe; he came as a physician for the sick, and doth not expect they should recover their health in the least degree before they come to him.

The vilest sinners are fitly prepared and qualified for this design, which is to show forth the exceeding riches of his grace, pardoning our sins, and saving us freely, Ephesians 2:5, 8.

It is no affront to Christ, or slighting or contemning the justice and holiness of God, to come to God, while we are polluted sinners; but rather it is an affront and contemning the saving grace, merit, and fulness of Jesus, if we endeavour to make ourselves righteous and holy before we receive Christ himself, and all holiness and righteousness in him by faith.

Come, sinners, laden deep with woe,
And unto Christ for healing go;
He cures all sickness, and all sore,
And turns no beggar from his door.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 31, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »

PEARL OF GREAT PRICE --- Matthew 13:45, 46.

"The kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it." --- Matthew 13:45, 46.

Blessed are they to whom the gospel has made known the unsearchable riches of Christ! He is that one pearl of great price in comparison of whom all other goodly things that men desire are worthless.

Without him we are poor and miserable, though we abound in all manner of worldly store; but if we have found him, and discovered the excellency of his name, we are in possession of a treasure that makes us rich indeed, and have reason to be content with our portion, though stripped of every earthly comfort; for the Father gives grace and glory, even eternal life, in his Son Jesus Christ; and he that hath the Son of God hath life.

O, my soul, thou like the merchant-man, hast been seeking goodly pearls, and eagerly looking here and there for happiness all thy days. Hast thou, at length, been enlightened to perceive where true joys are to be found?

Then wilt thou be willing to sell all in order to win Christ, and be found in him; if there is anything that thou art unwilling to part with for his sake, thou knowest not his value, thou art not worthy of him.

Long did my soul in Jesus' form
No comeliness or beauty see;
His sacred name, by others prized,
Was tasteless still and dead to me.

Thanks to the Author of all grace,
That show'd me wretched, naked, poor,
That sweetly led me to the Rock
Where all salvation stands secure.

Glad I forsook my righteous pride,
My moral, tarnish'd, sinful dress:
Exchanged my dross away for Christ,
And found the robe of righteousness.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »

KNOWLEDGE OF THE GLORY OF GOD --- 2 Corinthians 4:6.

"God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." --- 2 Corinthians 4:6.

Without this saving knowledge, we have no God, no Christ, no grace, no faith, no union with Christ, no actual justification, pardon of sin, peace, nor eternal life.

But whoever has found Christ, the pearl of great price, the treasure hid, has found matter of great rejoicing; for he was poor before, and this treasure enriched him; he was naked before, but, finding this treasure, he is gloriously clothed, he was forced before to feed on husks, but now he feeds on the bread of life; he was far in debt before, but now he sees the debt is paid, that he is justified from all things, and pardoned for ever; he was a child of wrath before, but now he is become a child of God, that he was a captive, and in chains before, but now he is set at liberty; condemned before, but now sees there is no condemnation to him, nor to anyone that is in Christ Jesus; that he was a fool before, but now he is made wise to salvation.

Reader, canst thou set thy seal to the truth and power of such experience? Then thou art wise indeed; if not, thou hast much to learn; apply with speed , and remember it is God alone that gives this light and knowledge.

Father of love and grace,
Thy light to me impart;
Reflected from thy dear Son's face
And beaming on my heart.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: February 02, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »

THIS IS HIS COMMANDMENT --- 2 Corinthians 4:6.

"This is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ." --- 1 John 3:23.

"God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him." --- 1 John 4:9.

The Father breaks forth, as it were, through the whole Scriptures, in high praises of his Son; he calls out from heaven, "'This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased: hear ye him,'" Matthew 7:5.

Nothing, therefore, can be more agreeable to him than to receive this his Son, and to believe his report, John 16:27; and on doing this we shall have life; but by omitting it we look upon him as a liar.

Unbelief, therefore, which refuses to accept of his great gift is, no doubt, the greatest of all sins. O Lord, teach me this, and grant me faith.

Why art thou so backward, O my poor soul, to believe like the rest of God's children, in Christ? Hast thou not as good a right to have it as they have? Who can dispute with thee this privilege? It is the express will of the Father: nay, he even commands thee to do it.

Has he given his only Son, by an act of inconceivable love, to die for thee, to the very end that thou shouldst live? Oh, what a pleasing thing will it be to him, to put thy whole trust upon this his well-beloved Son! This would be the joy of his heart more than anything else; therefore, delay no longer to receive what his love has offered thee, but firmly believe that the Father loves thee as well as the Son.

Author of faith, to thee I lift up
My weary longing eyes;
Oh let me now receive that gift!-
My soul without it dies.

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 104 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the