Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Give Me That Old Time Gospel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give Me That Old Time Gospel  (Read 135446 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: February 03, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

WORTHY IS THE LAMB --- Revelations 5:12.

"Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing." --- Revelations 5:12.

O Lord, what mean and slight notions have I often of thy great power! By these I am discouraged, and thou art robbed of thy praise; grant therefore, that though I would always be duly abased and convinced of my vileness, in such a manner as never to ascribe any good to myself, or think worthy of the least thing in the way of merit - for at the best I am an unprofitable servant! - yet thy grace and power may at the same time appear to me abundantly greater than all my sins, so that I may have always encouragement enough to believe in and praise thy holy name.

Come let us join our cheerful song
With angels round the throne;
Ten thousand thousand are their tongues,
But all their joys are one.

"Worthy the Lamb that died," they cry,
"To be exalted thus:"
"Worthy the Lamb," our lips reply,
"For he was slain for us."

Let all that dwell above the sky,
And air, and earth, and seas,
Conspire to lift his glories high
And speak his endless praise.

The whole creation join in one
To bless the sacred name
Of him that sits upon the throne,
And to adore the Lamb.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 04, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »

LET US BE GLAD AND REJOICE --- Revelations 19:6, 7.

"My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness, and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips." --- Psalm 63:5.

"Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him; for the marriage of the Lamb is come." --- Revelations 19:6, 7.

What tends not to thy glory, O Lord, and is not thy own work, whatever appearance it may have, is not realy good and profitable; preserve, assist me therefore, to do all things as of thee, in thy sight, and to thy honour.

May my soul be ever magnifying thy name, O my dear Redeemer and Bridegroom, and my whole conversation be directed to thy praise! Grant that my heart and mouth may be ever full of thy great mercies, and overflow continually with thanksgiving.

My God, my King, thy various praise
Demands thanksgiving all my days;
Oh, let thy grace employ my tongue,
Till death and glory raise the song!

Grant, Lord, that every hour may bear
Some thankful tribute to thy ear
And every setting sun may see
New works of duty done for thee.

Thy faithfulness endures the same;
Thy bounty flows an endless stream;
Thy mercy swift, thy anger slow,
But dreadful to the stubborn foe.

And who can speak thy wonderous deeds?
Thy greatness all our thoughts exceeds
Vast and unsearchable thy ways,
Vast and immortal be thy praise.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 05, 2009, 09:10:31 AM »

UNTIL THE DAY OF JESUS CHRIST --- Psalm 138:8

"Forsake not the works of thine own hands." --- Psalm 138:8.

-Divine Answer. "He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." --- Philippians 1.6.

The right way to grow in grace is to give up thyself wholly to thy heavenly Father, who knoweth all thy wants, and has engaged to supply them.

Then labour diligently to walk with Christ, and carefully cherish the new life, which, be it ever so weak and little now in comparison to the old man, will increase and gradually outgrow him, as a new skin does the old.

May the Lord only give us grace to watch against the opposite extreme, so as to never be lulled into a false rest, or lukewarm spirit; but to be ever diligently and seriously employed in crucuifying the flesh, and using all the means of grace!

Then we need not be anxiously troubled for the growing of the work of God in our souls.

My soul lies cleaving to the dust;
Lord, give me life divine;
From vain desires and evil lusts
Turn off these eyes of mine.

I need the influence of thy grace
To speed me in thy way,
Lest I should loiter in my race,
Or turn my feet astray.

Are not thy mercies sov'reign still,
And thou a faithful God?
Wilt thou not grant me warmer zeal
To run the heavenly road?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 06, 2009, 12:12:55 PM »

THIS WORLD PASSETH AWAY --- 1 Corinthians 7:31

". . . for the fashion of this world passeth away." --- 1 Corinthians 7:31.

As long as we feed on the husks of this world, and are in love with it, we are neither willing nor able to taste the comforts of the love of God; but when sin and the world are become an abomination to us, and we desire to be rid of them, and seek diligently unto Jesus Christ for the help of his grace, and the benefit of his blood, we are then in a right way to receive the love of God, and every blessing of salvation; and though we are chastened by the Lord, yet he is not angry with us, but does it to imbitter sin and the world more and more to us, and make us loathe them, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Let worldly minds the world pursue,
It has no charms for me
Once I admired its trifles too
But grace has set me free.

Its pleasures now no longer please,
No more content afford;
Far from my heart be joys like these,
Now I have known the Lord.

As by the light of the opening day
The stars are all conceal'd,
So earthly pleasures fade away
When Jesus is reveal'd.

Now, Lord, I would be thine alone,
And wholly live to thee;
But may I hope that thou wilt own
A worthless worm like me?

Yea, though of sinners I'm the worst,
I cannot doubt thy will;
For, if thou hadst not loved me first,
I had refused thee still.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 07, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »

THINE IS THE KINGDOM . . . --- Matthew 6:13.

"Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, Amen." --- Matthew 6:13.

"They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power." --- Revelations 4:10, 11.

One that is really poor in spirit, though he hath practised the duty of a Christian life ever so long, and ever so diligently, always thinks himself to have received but a little portion of Christ, and the work of sanctification hardly to be begun in his soul.

So far is he from believing he has already attained it, that, after all his best actions, he counts himself not worthy to be called by the name of a grateful son; he is never pleased with himself. No degree of holiness will satisfy his soul.

He seeks and finds no rest or comfort but in the infinite mercy of God, and in the pardon of his sins by faith, though he does not divide Christ, but receives him in all his offices, and gives himself entirely up to him without reserve, to be more and more sanctified and perfected; and in this state he is safe indeed; he is prepared for death, and has no reason to be anxiously afraid, though earnestly desirous of higher degrees of sanctification.

The kingdom is thine, we proclaim,
Thy power prevails over men;
The glory is due to thy name,
For ever and ever. Amen.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 08, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »

THIS IS ALL MY SALVATION--- 2 Samuel 23:5.

"He hath made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure; for this is all my salvation, and all my desire." --- 2 Samuel 23:5.

"I have made a covenant with my chosen." --- Psalm 89:3.

This was David's plea and confidence, when, with eternity full before him, he was going to make his appearance before an infinitely pure God.

This must be our plea also, if ever we would obtain the approbation of our Judge. After a life of most emminent holiness, the best of men will have reason to cry out, "Enter not into judgment with thy servant, O Lord!"

It is true, indeed, the believer will discover some evidences of grace, just to show the child of God, and no more; but all so imperfect that he dares not ground his expectation on them.

Here the covenant of grace steps into his relief, wherein he sees ample provision for the security of his eternal interest: for the covenant is made with Christ and his seed.

It is an everlasting covenant, not only made before time, but extending its beneficial effects through the ages of eternity. It is ordered in all things, therefore nothing can be wanting in it, either to promote the glory of God, or the salvation of believers.

It is sure also; depending on no conditions requiring nothing but what it gives, conferring its blessings freely, and making them sure to all the seed, being established upon better promises. Happy souls, who are interested in this well-ordered covenant. May it be all my salvation, and my desire!

Thy word, O God, begetteth faith;
From thence our hope doth spring;
Founded alone on what God saith,
My soul, adore and sing.

Thy word is truth, thy promise sure;
Hence faith and hope abide:
True faith in Jesus will endure:
Nought can from Christ divide.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 11, 2009, 08:21:46 AM »

HE DWELLETH WITH YOU --- John 14:6, 17

"I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever: even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." --- John 14:6, 17.

When God designed the great and glorious work of recovering fallen man, and the saving of sinners, "to the praise of the glory of his grace," he appointed, in his infinite wisdom, two great means thereof: the one was his giving of his Son for them; and the other was his giving of his Spirit unto them.

And hereby was way made for the manifestation of the glory of the blessed Trinity, which is the utmost end of all the works of God.

Hereby were the love, grace and wisdom of the Father, in the design and contrivance of the whole; the love, grace, and condescension of the Son, in the execution, purchase and procurement of grace and salvation for sinners ; with the love, grace and power of the Holy Spirit, in the effectual application of all unto the souls of men, made gloriously conspicious.

To these heads may all the promises of God be reduced. Happy for the church, that the Spirit is to abide with it for ever! - awful to think the unconverted world neither can receive or know the Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, heavenly Dove,
Bringing peace, and bringing love
Take me, and possess me whole;
Form the Saviour in my soul.

Be my true and constant Guide,
In my fainting heart abide;
All the grace of God reveal,
And each precious promise seal.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 11, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »

GODLY SORROW WORKETH REPENTANCE--- 2 Corinthains 7:10

"Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of; but the sorrow of the world worketh death." --- 2 Corinthains 7:10.

There is a sorrow that is called godly, because it is produced in us by the Spirit of God discovering the evil of sin, and the plague of corruption of our own hearts, and deeply humbling us under a sense of sin, producing evangelical repentance, and leading the soul to cry to the Lord Jesus Christ for pardon and salvation,- The Holy Spirit at the same time enabling us to believe in him, and rest upon his person, blood, and righteousness, for redemption and salvation; which repentance will never be repented of: but sorrow, arising from the love of this world, worketh death,- eternal death.

Lord Jesus, grant me to feel more of this godly sorrow for sin, and rejoice more in thee as my Saviour!

Father, thy long-lost child receive;
Saviour, thy purchase own;
Blest Comforter, with peace and joy,
Thy waiting creature own.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 11, 2009, 08:22:51 AM »

YET A LITTLE WHILE --- Hebrews 10:35, 37

"Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart." --- Psalm 97:11.

"Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness; he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous." --- Psalm 112:4.

"Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward; for ye have need of patience, etc. For yet a little while, and he that will come shall come, and will not tarry." --- Hebrews 10:35, 37; Isaiah 58:10-12.

This shows that believers are subject to many changes of joy and sorrow. In a state of gladness, therefore, we have reason to fear; and, in the hours of trouble and sadness, to entertain good hopes.

Thus we shall always be able to keep the happy medium between extremes of levity and despair. Before a man has a true sense of his own miseries, the complaints and infirmities of the saints are often a stumbling-block, but afterwards they will administer to him great comfort.

This is the reason that God has revealed them in Scripture; for the complaints of his elect children give more comfort than all their most heroic actions.

Alas! it swells my sorrows high,
To see my blessed Jesus frown;
My spirits sink, my comforts die,
And all the springs of life are drown.

Yet why, my soul, why these complaints?
Still while he frowns his bowels moves;
Still on his heart he bears the saints,
With tender sympathy and love.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 12, 2009, 06:37:11 AM »

EVIL IS PRESENT --- Romans 7:21

"I find a law, that when I would do good, evil is present with me." --- Romans 7:21.

O my soul! thou art always striving; yet sin is alway stirring: thou fearest the truth of grace, because thou findest the working of sin; but it will always be thus; thou canst not come out of Egypt, but Amalek will lay wait in the way; the flesh will be sure to trouble thee, although it will never be able to conquer thee.

He therefore that sits down, and is at rest in sin, it is a sign that Satan is there, the strong man, because his kingdom is in peace; but where there is any work of Christ, there will always be war with sin.

Sin was the womb of death, and only death must be the tomb of sin. God would have my soul humbled; therefore, though he hath broken my prison, yet he hath left the chains upon my feet; God would have my graces exercised; therefore, though he hath translated me into the kingdom of life, yet he hath left the Canaanite in the land: God would have my faith exercised; therefore Goliath still shows himself in the field, that so I might go out to him "in the name of the Lord."

I will betake me to the strength of Christ; though I cannot help the rebelling power of sin, yet, through grace, I will labour to prevent the ruling power of it.

Though sin will in believers dwell,
Till death the inmates part;
O Jesus, save me from this hell
Which lurks within my heart!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 13, 2009, 09:20:20 AM »

MADE HIM TO BE SIN FOR US --- 2 Corinthians 5:19, 21

"God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." --- 2 Corinthians 5:19, 21.

It highly concerns believers, who desire to keep a constant peace in their bosoms, to be ever sensible of their spiritual poverty, and to feed and rest wholly on the all sufficient atonement and righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Disquiet of mind and laziness of soul, often proceed from self-righteousness, and not looking to Christ for everything, but trusting secretly to something in ourselves.

Jesus, thou art our righteousness,
For all my sins are thine;
Thy death has bought of God my peace,
Thy life has made him mine.

For ever here my rest shall be,
Close to thy bleeding side;
'Tis all my hope, and all my plea-
For me the Saviour died.

My dying Saviour and my God,
Fountain for guilt and sin,
Sprinkle me ever with thy blood,
And cleanse and keep me clean.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 14, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »

MY PORTION FOREVER --- Psalm 73:23-26

"Nevertheless I am continually with thee. Thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterwards receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever." --- Psalm 73:23-26.

Babes in religion not only long for Christ, but for sensible communion with him; and very often they are indulged with it, that they may be weaned from the world.

But those of fuller age, who have their senses more exercised, are thankful they can trust him when they do not see him, and can follow him when they feel no comfort; relying more on the word and covenant of God than on sweet sensations, which, though ever precious and desirable, are oft withdrawn in times of trouble and temptation.

How oft hath sin and Satan strove
To rend my soul from thee, my God
But everlasting is thy love,
And Jesus seals it with his blood.

Admidst temptation sharp and strong,
My soul to this refuge flies;
Hope is my anchor, firm and strong,
When tempests blow and billows rise.

The gospel bears my spirit up;
A faithful and unchanging God
Lays the foundation of my hope
In oaths, and promises, and blood.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 15, 2009, 08:23:50 AM »

THERE IS A RIVER --- Psalm 46:4, 5

"There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved." --- Psalm 46:4, 5.

"Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." --- 1 John 4:4; Psalm 110:2; Zechariah 2:5.

True Christians, in a right spirit, still are subject to temptations from within and without: but, watching unto prayer, they do not fall by them. On the contary, as temptations are great helps to discover their hidden infirmities, and stir them up to be more cautious, serious, and faithful, they are followed with great and glorious victories.

Temptations are not indeed joyous in themselves, but are attended with good fruit and blessed effects in the faithful. Hence, St. James bids us count it all joy when we fall into divers temptations. What reason have we, then, to be afraid of temptations, since every one carries a new blessing along with it?

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to thy bosom fly,
While the billows near me roll,
While the tempest still is high.

Hide me, O my Saviour hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe unto the haven guide,
Oh receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none;
Hangs my helpless soul on thee;
Leave ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.

All my trust on thee is stay'd,
All my help from thee I bring;
Cover my defenceless head
With the shadow of thy wing.

All my trust on thee is stay'd,
All my help from thee I bring;
Cover my defenceless head
With the shadow of thy wing.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 16, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

RESIST THE DEVIL --- James 4:7

"Let not sin reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof." --- Romans 6:12.

"Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." --- James 4:7.

O my soul, how awful is thy state by nature and practice! Sin hath gained a dominion over thee! its influence is universal over the soul and body, and over every son and daughter of Adam: it hath brought death on the body, and subjected the soul to everlasting misery; its authority is unjust, and its power cruel and destructive.

Lord Jesus, let me adore thine effectual grace, that it hath in any measure delivered me from its power, and assist my poor heart in opposing and rejecting every temptation to obey it in the lusts thereof; let thy precious blood effectually secure me from the guilt of sin in this life, and punishment of it in another!

O my soul, if thou art a faithful follower of Jesus, though Satan received a deadly wound when Christ was crucified for us, yet his malice is still the same; thou hast a thousand enemies, and the devil is the leader of them all. Oh may I, with the deepest humility, look to Jesus, rest upon Jesus, and derive daily strength from him to resist the devil; and, finally, to come off conqueror, and more than conqueror, through him that loved me! Amen.

Stretch out thine arm, victorious King,
My reigning sins subdue;
Drive the old dragon from his seat;
And form my soul anew.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:03 AM »

WE HAVE KNOWN CHRIST--- 2 Corinthians 5:16

"Though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more." --- 2 Corinthians 5:16.

What is it to know Christ in the flesh? It is to content ourselves with carnal views of his person, character, and kingdom. This was the case with all those who followed him, not on account of his miracles and doctrines, but for the loaves and fishes.

Also! are there not too many who wish to know Christ for carnal, worldly interest, and not that they may be saved from a proud, rebellious heart, and an ungodly life? O my soul, let me see to it that my seeking after Christ may not be carnal, but spiritual! worldly interest is too apt, it may be feared, to influence both private professors and even public preachers.

True believers can say, that henceforth this carnal knowledge of Christ is not their pursuit.Where the Spirit of Jesus regenerates the heart, and we are brought to a spiritual and experimental knowledge of Christ, we sahll love him, rejoice in him, humbly submit to his will in all things, aand daily pray to become more and more like him.

O thou dear and precious Jesus! grant that this may be more and more my experience, till I know thee in all thy holiness and glory, for ever and ever!

I cannot live contented here,
Without some glimpse of thy face;
And heav'n, without thy presence there,
Would be a dark and tiresome place.

The flesh of mine might learn as soon
To live, yet part with all my blood;
To breath when vital air is gone
Or thrive and grow without my food.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 104 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the