Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Volcanoes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Volcanoes  (Read 100938 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 09:46:59 PM »

WOW! - Am I right in assuming this is a LOT of volcanic activity all at once? I had heard some about several - maybe three. My older brother lives just South of Mt. St. Helens, and he was there for the eruption in the 80s. I think they are about 60 miles away, and that was still close enough for the air  to be almost ruined. I can't remember how large an area was covered by ash, but it was huge. I think that I remember reading that all we've had in recent memory were very small percentages of what each volcano could have been, and that includes the last eruption of Mt. St. Helens. Realistically, I understand that one major eruption could impact the entire earth.
Brother,

Normally there are 29 active volcanic eruptions per year. These posts, for today, is just the last week.  Yes one major eruption will impact the entire earth. 

Pinatubo volcano, (1991) the effects of the eruption were felt worldwide. Global temperatures dropped by about 0.5 °C (0.9 °F), and ozone destruction increased substantially.  Hence the cause of global warming?? Wink

Edited to add;  So far this year, there has been 28 volcanic eruptions.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:52:03 PM by DreamWeaver » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »

And that doesn't include all the underwater volcanoes that they have just recently found. There are 1,000s of them and many of them are currently active. Such activity is bound to increase the temperatures of the oceans.

A major volcanic eruption above water could cause a significant cooling, perhaps an ice age as the debris and gases could block out the sun's heating capability.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »

A major volcanic eruption above water could cause a significant cooling, perhaps an ice age as the debris and gases could block out the sun's heating capability.

Then the global warming people will be crying.  Cry  "The ICE AGE is coming, the ICE AGE is coming"........... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 10:22:37 PM »

Yep, all they will have to do is to turn their global warming charts upside down.   Cheesy Cheesy

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »

Yep, all they will have to do is to turn their global warming charts upside down.   Cheesy Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2007, 08:50:35 PM »

Guys, it's too late, I've already thrown the global warming charts out.   Wink

I think we just need to send Al Gore to the sun and let him run things from there.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2007, 09:05:33 PM »

I think that he needs to be sent to the Son and see who really controls things.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »

I think that he needs to be sent to the Son and see who really controls things.

Brother,

All politicians used to do that. Now - who knows? - some do - some act like the do - and some obviously don't know the SON at all.

Politicians who pretend to know JESUS to manipulate Christians really are sickening. I understand that many will be play acting to manipulate Christians on the next election. I would prefer to remain on their write-off list because I don't think that I can stomach the play acting.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2007, 11:59:20 PM »

Well here is a major up date...................

BULUSAN

As of the 3rd of August, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) has reported Bulusan Volcano continues to be in a state of unrest as evidenced by swarms of small to moderate sized earthquakes and the ash explosion this morning. Therefore, Alert Level 1 remains in effect over the volcano. The public is reminded not to enter the 4-kilometre radius Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ) because this area is at risk from sudden steam/ash explosions. Residents near river/stream channels around the volcano should also be on alert against life-threatening volcanic mudflows (lahars) during heavy rains which might remobilise ash and loose deposits from the upper slopes.

Luzon's southernmost volcano, Bulusan, was constructed along the rim of the 11-km-diameter dacitic-to-rhyolitic Irosin caldera, which was formed about 35,000-40,000 years ago. Bulusan lies at the SE end of the Bicol volcanic arc occupying the peninsula of the same name that forms the elongated SE tip of Luzon. A broad, flat moat is located below the topographically prominent SW rim of Irosin caldera; the NE rim is buried by the andesitic Bulusan complex. Bulusan is flanked by several other large intracaldera lava domes and cones, including the prominent Mount Jormajan lava dome on the SW flank and Sharp Peak to the NE. The summit of 1565-m-high Bulusan volcano is unvegetated and contains a 300-m-wide, 50-m-deep crater. Three small craters are located on the SE flank. Many moderate explosive eruptions have been recorded at Bulusan since the mid-19th century.

The Current Colour Code for Bulusan is currently at ALERT LEVEL 1
~~~~~~~~~

Mt. CLEVELAND

As of the 3rd of August, the Global Volcanism Network (GVN) via the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO) has reported that a small thermal anomaly was visible this morning at Cleveland indicating that low-level eruptive activity may be continuing. Low cloud cover obscured the rest of the volcano. There was no indication of ash or steam emission. The lack of a real-time seismic network at Cleveland means that AVO is unable to track local earthquake activity related to volcanic unrest. Short-lived explosions of ash that could exceed 20,000 ft above sea level can occur without warning and may go undetected on satellite imagery.

The symmetrical Mt. Cleveland stratovolcano is situated at the western end of the uninhabited dumbbell-shaped Chuginadak Island in the east-central Aleutians. The 1,730-m-high stratovolcano is the highest of the Islands of Four Mountains group and is one of the most active in the Aleutians. Numerous large lava flows descend its flanks. It is possible that some 18th to 19th century eruptions attributed to Carlisle (a volcano located across the Carlisle Pass Strait to the NW) should be ascribed to Cleveland. In 1944 Cleveland produced the only known fatality from an Aleutian eruption. Recent eruptions from Mt. Cleveland have been characterized by short-lived explosive ash emissions, at times accompanied by lava fountaining and lava flows down the flanks.

The Current Colour Code for Cleveland is currently at ORANGE
~~~~~~~~

UBINAS

As of the 2nd of August, INGEMMET reported that based on a Significant Meteorological Information (SIGMET) advisory, the Buenos Aires VAAC reported that ash plumes from Ubinas rose to an altitude of 5.8 km (19,000 ft) a.s.l. on 23 and 25 July. The plumes drifted SE and S, respectively. Ash was not identified on satellite imagery. On 24 July, a diffuse plume was visible on satellite imagery at an altitude of 6.1 km (20,000 ft) a.s.l.

A small, 1.4-km-wide caldera cuts the top of Ubinas, Peru's most active volcano, giving it a truncated appearance. Ubinas is the northernmost of three young volcanoes located along a regional structural lineament about 50 km behind the main volcanic front of Perú. The growth and destruction of Ubinas I volcano was followed by construction of Ubinas II volcano beginning in the mid-Pleistocene. The upper slopes of the andesitic-to-rhyolitic Ubinas II stratovolcano are composed primarily of andesitic and trachyandesitic lava flows and steepen to nearly 45 degrees. The steep-walled, 150-m-deep summit caldera contains an ash cone with a 500-m-wide funnel-shaped vent that is 200 m deep. Debris-avalanche deposits from the collapse of the SE flank of Ubinas about 3700 years ago extend 10 km from the volcano. Widespread plinian pumice-fall deposits from Ubinas include one of Holocene age about 1000 years ago. Holocene lava flows are visible on the volcano's flanks, but historical activity, documented since the 16th century, has consisted of intermittent minor-to-moderate explosive eruptions.

The Current Colour Code for Ubinas is currently at ORANGE

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2007, 12:01:40 AM »

HUILA

As of the 2nd of August, with respect to the pursuit of the activity of the snow-covered volcano of the Huila, INGEOMINAS, Observatory Vulcanológico and Sismológico de Popayán, informed that between 25 and 31 of July of 2007 a total of 234 events were registered; of which, 170 events are associate to fracturing of rock, 58 events associated to the fluid movement and transit of and gases within the internal conduits of the volcano, and 6 events that as much contain compound mechanisms of fracture as of transit of fluids. Between the 2000hrs of the 28th of July and the 1500hrs of the 29th, a slight increase in the associated seismic activity to fracturing of rock appeared, with registry of 50 events in a lapse of 19 hours. One stands out that, the events are located in a located seismic source to 4.0 km to of the Cerro Negro station, to depths between 6.47 and 7.85 km, and with a maximum magnitude of 1.99. Of the previous, it is emphasised that the system continues presenting/displaying small levels of excitation, associated with the internal dynamics of the volcano. INGEOMINAS continues kind to the evolution of the volcanic phenomenon and will inform INTLVRC in an opportune way any changes that can be presented/displayed.

The Current Colour Code for Huila is currently at ORANGE
~~~~~~~~

KARYMSKY

As of the 3rd of August, the Kamchatkan Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT) has reported that the eruption of the volcano continues. Ash explosions up to 6 km (or 19,700 ft.) ASL are possible at any time. The activity of the volcano could affect low-flying aircraft in the vicinity of the volcano. Seismic activity was above background levels all week, 150-600 shallow volcanic earthquakes and a spasmodic volcanic tremor were registered at volcano all days. According to seismic data, possibly ash explosions rose up to 3.0 km (9,850 ft) ASL. According to satellite data, a thermal anomaly was noted on July 31 and August 02, gas-steam plume extended 23 km (14 mi) to the south-west on August 02, the volcano was obscured by clouds on the other days.

Karymsky, the most active volcano of Kamchatka's eastern volcanic zone, is a symmetrical stratovolcano constructed within a 5-km-wide caldera that formed during the early Holocene. The caldera cuts the south side of the Pleistocene Dvor volcano and is located outside the north margin of the large mid-Pleistocene Polovinka caldera, which contains the smaller Akademia Nauk and Odnoboky calderas. Most seismicity preceding Karymsky eruptions originated beneath Akademia Nauk caldera, which is located immediately south of Karymsky volcano. The caldera enclosing Karymsky volcano formed about 7600-7700 radiocarbon years ago; construction of the Karymsky stratovolcano began about 2000 years later. The latest eruptive period began about 500 years ago, following a 2300-year quiescence. Much of the cone is mantled by lava flows less than 200 years old. Historical eruptions have been vulcanian or vulcanian-strombolian with moderate explosive activity and occasional lava flows from the summit crater.

The Current Colour Code for Karymsky is currently at ORANGE
~~~~~~~~~

BEZYMIANNY

As of the 3rd of August, the Kamchatkan Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT) has reported that growth of the lava dome continues. The activity of the volcano could affect low-flying aircraft in the vicinity of the volcano. Seismic activity was slightly above background levels on July 27-29, 31 and August 01 and at background levels on the other days. Many shallow volcanic earthquakes were registered during the weak. According to satellite data a thermal anomaly was noted on July 28 and August 02, clouds obscured the volcano on the other days.

Prior to its noted 1955-56 eruption, Bezymianny volcano had been considered extinct. The modern Bezymianny volcano, much smaller in size than its massive neighbours Kamen and Kliuchevskoi, was formed about 4700 years ago over a late-Pleistocene lava-dome complex and an ancestral volcano that was built between about 11,000-7000 years ago. Three periods of intensified activity have occurred during the past 3000 years. The latest period, which was preceded by a 1000-year quiescence, began with the dramatic 1955-56 eruption. This eruption, similar to that of Mount St. Helens in 1980, produced a large horseshoe-shaped crater that was formed by collapse of the summit and an associated lateral blast. Subsequent episodic but ongoing lava-dome growth, accompanied by intermittent explosive activity and pyroclastic flows, has largely filled the 1956 crater.

The Current Colour Code for Bezymianny is currently at YELLOW

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »

SHEVELUCH

As of the 3rd of August, the Kamchatkan Volcanic Eruption Response Team (KVERT) has reported that growth of the lava dome continues. Ash explosions up to 10 km (32,800 ft.) ASL could occur at any time. The activity of the volcano could affect international and low-flying aircraft. Seismic activity was slightly above background levels. Many shallow volcanic earthquakes and weak intermittent volcanic tremor were registered. According to seismic data, weak ash plumes and avalanches occurred at the volcano last week. Strong gas-steam plume, extending to the south, was observed on July 31, clouds obscured the volcano in other days. According to satellite data, a thermal anomaly was noted all week.

The high, isolated massif of Sheveluch volcano (also spelled Shiveluch) rises above the lowlands NNE of the Kliuchevskaya volcano group. The 1300 cu km Shiveluch is one of Kamchatka's largest and most active volcanic structures. The summit of roughly 65,000-year-old Stary Shiveluch is truncated by a broad 9-km-wide late-Pleistocene caldera breached to the south. Many lava domes dot its outer flanks. The Molodoy Shiveluch lava dome complex was constructed during the Holocene within the large horseshoe-shaped caldera; Holocene lava dome extrusion also took place on the flanks of Stary Shiveluch. At least 60 large eruptions of Shiveluch have occurred during the Holocene, making it the most vigorous andesitic volcano of the Kuril-Kamchatka arc. Widespread tephra layers from these eruptions have provided valuable time markers for dating volcanic events in Kamchatka. Frequent collapses of dome complexes, most recently in 1964, have produced debris avalanches whose deposits cover much of the floor of the breached caldera.

The Current Colour Code for Sheveluch is currently at ORANGE
~~~~~~~

KLIUCHEVSKOI

As of the 3rd of August, the Kamchatka Volcano Eruption Response Team (KVERT) reported that seismic activity was at background levels. But sudden ash explosions up to 6 km (19,700 ft.) ASL could affect international and low-flying aircraft. Seismic activity was at background levels last week, weak continuous spasmodic volcanic tremor and a few shallow earthquakes were registered. According to video and visual data, gas-steam activity was noted on July 31 and the volcano was obscured by clouds on the other days. According to satellite data, thermal anomaly was noted on July 27-28 and August 01.

Kliuchevskoi is Kamchatka's highest and most active volcano. Since its origin about 6000 years ago, the beautifully symmetrical, 4835-m-high basaltic stratovolcano has produced frequent moderate-volume explosive and effusive eruptions without major periods of inactivity. Kliuchevskoi rises above a saddle NE of sharp-peaked Kamen volcano and lies SE of the broad Ushkovsky massif. More than 100 flank eruptions have occurred at Kliuchevskoi during the past roughly 3000 years, with most lateral craters and cones occurring along radial fissures between the unconfined NE-to-SE flanks of the conical volcano between 500 m and 3600 m elevation. The morphology of its 700-m-wide summit crater has been frequently modified by historical eruptions, which have been recorded since the late-17th century. Historical eruptions have originated primarily from the summit crater, but have also included numerous major explosive and effusive eruptions from flank craters.

The Current Colour Code for Kliuchevskoi is now at YELLOW
~~~~~~~~

MANAM

As of the 28th of June, the Global Volcanism Network (GVN) has reported that the Rabau Volcano Observatory (RVO) reported that based on satellite image observations, the Darwin VAAC reported that an eruption plume from Manam rose to an altitude of 3.4 km (11,000 ft) a.s.l. on 23 June and drifted WNW.

The 10-km-wide island of Manam, lying 13 km off the northern coast of mainland Papua New Guinea, is one of the country's most active volcanoes. Four large radial valleys extend from the unvegetated summit of the conical 1807-m-high basaltic-andesitic stratovolcano to its lower flanks. These "avalanche valleys," regularly spaced 90 degrees apart, channel lava flows and pyroclastic avalanches that have sometimes reached the coast. Five small satellitic centres are located near the island's shoreline on the northern, southern and western sides. Two summit craters are present; both are active, although most historical eruptions have originated from the southern crater, concentrating eruptive products during the past century into the SE avalanche valley. Frequent historical eruptions have been recorded at Manam since 1616. A major eruption in 1919 produced pyroclastic flows that reached the coast, and in 1957-58 pyroclastic flows descended all four radial valleys. Lava flows reached the sea in 1946-47 and 1958.

The Current Colour Code for Manam is currently at ALERT LEVEL 1

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »

GAMKONORA

As of the 2nd of August, the RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service has reported that CVGHM lowered the Alert Level for Gamkonora from 3 to 2 (on a scale of 1-4) on 24 July based on visual observations and a decrease in seismicity. That followed a sharp drop in seismicity during 8-23 July, a decline both in terms of the number of events and their energy. Later, during 16-23 July, when breaks in inclement weather took place, observers saw white plumes rising to altitudes of 5.6 km (18,400 ft) a.s.l. Available CVGHM reports issued through the 26th did not disclose more recent events.

On 8 July, a phreatic eruption from Gamkonora produced an ash plume that rose to an altitude of 1.8 km (5,900 ft) a.s.l. The plume drifted N and ashfall was reported from villages as far as 7 km downwind. The Alert Level was raised to 2 (on a scale of 1-4). On 9 July, seismic activity increased and eruption plumes rose to altitudes of 2.1-2.6 km (7,000-8,500 ft) a.s.l. The Alert Level was raised to 3. Later that day, ash plumes rose to an altitude of 5.6 km (18,400 ft) a.s.l. and the Alert Level was raised to 4. During 9-10 July, incandescent material was propelled 5-50 m above the crater. On 10 July, booming noises were followed by ash plumes that rose to 4.1 km (13,500 ft) a.s.l. About 8,400 people evacuated from villages within an 8 km radius of the volcano.

The shifting of eruption centres on Gamkonora, at 1635 m the highest peak of Halmahera, has produced an elongated series of summit craters along a N-S trending rift. Youthful-looking lava flows originate near the cones of Gunung Alon and Popolojo, south of Gamkonora. Since its first recorded eruption in the 16th century, Gamkonora has typically produced small-to-moderate explosive eruptions. Its largest historical eruption, in 1673, was accompanied by tsunamis that inundated villages.

The Current Colour Code for Gamkonora is currently at ALERT LEVEL 2
~~~~~~

TALANG

As of the 5th of July, the Global Volcanism Network (GVN) reported that the andesitic stratovolcano, Talang or Salasi or Sulasih volcano is one of active volcanoes in West Sumatra, Indonesia. It is located at the district of Kota Anau, Solok Regency. The volcano reaches 2597 m high, with two craters at summit area. The alert level of the volcano is still on level 2. Visual observation showed thick-brownish-ash came out 200 m high from the Main Crater. Thin-white-ash came out 100 m high from the South Crater, while no ash observed on Kapundan Panjang (Panjang crater) and Gabuo Bawah. The seismicity on this week relatively no significant change compare with the previous one.

Talang, which forms a twin volcano with the extinct Pasar Arbaa volcano, lies ESE of the major city of Padang and rises NW of Dibawah Lake. Talang has two crater lakes on its flanks; the largest of these is 1 x 2 km wide Danau Talang. Most historical eruptions have not occurred from the summit of the volcano, which lacks a crater. Historical eruptions from Gunung Talang volcano have mostly involved small-to-moderate explosive activity first documented in the 19th century that originated from a series of small craters in a valley on the upper NE flank.

The Current Colour Code for Talang currently at ALERT LEVEL 2
~~~~~~~

SAKURA-JIMA

As of the 28th of June, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), has reported that based on information from JMA, the Tokyo VAAC reported that eruption plumes from Sakura-Jima rose to an altitude of 2.4 km (8,000 ft) a.s.l. and drifted N during 20-21 June. Ash was not detected on satellite imagery.

Sakura-Jima, one of Japan's most active volcanoes, is a post-caldera cone of the Aira caldera at the northern half of Kagoshima Bay. Eruption of the voluminous Ito pyroclastic flows was associated with the formation of the 17 x 23-km-wide Aira caldera about 22,000 years ago. The construction of Sakura-jima began about 13,000 years ago and built an island that was finally joined to the Osumi Peninsula during the major explosive and effusive eruption of 1914. Activity at the Kita-dake summit cone ended about 4,850 years ago, after which eruptions took place at Minami-dake. Frequent historical eruptions, recorded since the 8th century, have deposited ash on Kagoshima, one of Kyushu's largest cities, located across Kagoshima Bay only 8 km from the summit. The largest historical eruption took place during 1471-76.

The Current Colour Code for Sakura-Jima currently at ORANGE

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »

SOUFRIERE HILLS

As of the 3rd of August, the Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO) has reported that measurable activity has remained low with no significant change over the last 24 hours, although low level rockfall activity continues to affect all sides of the lava dome. Whilst lava extrusion has ceased and the dome may not be actively growing, it remains as a large mass of partially molten lava capable of collapsing or exploding. The amount of material above Tyres Ghaut to the NW is sufficient to generate pyroclastic flows and surges capable of impacting on the lower Belham Valley and lower lying areas up to lower Happy Hill and the Old Towne ridge. The alert level remained at 4.

The complex, dominantly andesitic Soufrière Hills volcano occupies the southern half of the island of Montserrat. The summit area consists primarily of a series of lava domes emplaced along an ESE-trending zone. English's Crater, a 1-km-wide crater breached widely to the east, was formed during an eruption about 4000 years ago in which the summit collapsed, producing a large submarine debris avalanche. Block-and-ash flow and surge deposits associated with dome growth predominate in flank deposits at Soufrière Hills. Non-eruptive seismic swarms occurred at 30-year intervals in the 20th century, but with the exception of a 17th-century eruption that produced the Castle Peak lava dome, no historical eruptions were recorded on Montserrat until 1995. Long-term small-to-moderate ash eruptions beginning in that year were later accompanied by lava-dome growth and pyroclastic flows that forced evacuation of the southern half of the island and ultimately destroyed the capital city of Plymouth, causing major social and economic disruption.

The Current Colour Code for Soufriere Hills is currently at LEVEL 4
~~~~~~~~

Mt. St. HELENS

As of the 3rd of August, the Cascades Volcano Observatory (CVO) reported that growth of the new lava dome inside the crater of Mt. St. Helens continues, accompanied by low rates of seismicity, low emissions of steam and volcanic gases, and minor production of ash. During such eruptions, changes in the level of activity can occur over days to months. The eruption could intensify suddenly or with little warning and produce explosions that cause hazardous conditions within several miles of the crater and farther downwind. Small lahars could suddenly descend the Toutle River if triggered by heavy rain or by interaction of hot rocks with snow and ice. These lahars pose a negligible hazard below the Sediment Retention Structure (SRS) but could pose a hazard along the river channel upstream.

Wind forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), coupled with eruption models, show that any ash clouds rising above the crater rim today would drift primarily to the northeast.

The clear weather continues to offer a good view into the crater today. Seismic activity continues at a low level. Many of the events recorded by crater seismic monitors are due to rockfalls and glacier activity associated with continued slow dome growth. Yesterday was a successful field day for working on monitoring sites, making field investigations, and placing two GPS spiders. The U.S. Geological Survey and the University of Washington continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue additional updates and changes in alert level as warranted.

Prior to 1980, Mt. St. Helens formed a conical, youthful volcano sometimes known as the Fuji-san of America. During the 1980 eruption the upper 400 m of the summit was removed by slope failure, leaving a 2 x 3.5 km horseshoe-shaped crater now partially filled by a lava dome. Mt. St. Helens was formed during nine eruptive periods beginning about 40-50,000 years ago, and has been the most active volcano in the Cascade Range during the Holocene. The modern edifice was constructed during the last 2,200 years, when the volcano produced basaltic as well as andesitic and dacitic products from summit and flank vents. Historical eruptions in the 19th century originated from the Goat Rocks area on the N flank, and were witnessed by early settlers.

The Current Colour Code for volcano Mt. St. Helens remains at ORANGE
~~~~~~~~~

POPOCATEPETL

As of the 3rd of August, the El Centro Nacional de Prevención de Desastres de la Secretaría de Gobernación (CENAPRED) has reported that there were 6 exhalations accompanied by steam and gas emissions and occasionally small amounts of ash. At the moment of this report CENAPRED can observe the volcano with steam and gas emissions.

Volcano Popocatépetl, whose name is the Aztec word for smoking mountain, towers to 5426 m 70 km SE of Mexico City to form North America's 2nd-highest volcano. The glacier-clad stratovolcano contains a steep-walled, 250-450 m deep crater. The generally symmetrical volcano is modified by the sharp-peaked Ventorrillo on the NW, a remnant of an earlier volcano. At least three previous major cones were destroyed by gravitational failure during the Pleistocene, producing massive debris-avalanche deposits covering broad areas south of the volcano. The modern volcano was constructed to the south of the late-Pleistocene to Holocene El Fraile cone. Three major plinian eruptions, the most recent of which took place about 800 AD, have occurred from Popocatépetl since the mid Holocene, accompanied by pyroclastic flows and voluminous lahars that swept basins below the volcano. Frequent historical eruptions, first recorded in Aztec codices, have occurred since precolumbian time.

The Current Colour Code for volcano Popocatepetl is YELLOW

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2007, 12:12:18 AM »

PACAYA

As of the 2nd of August, the Instituto Nacional de Sismologia, Vulcanologia, Meterologia, e Hidrologia (INSIVUMEH), after being translated from Spanish, reported that four hornitos in the crater of the Mackenney Cone are alternated expelling incandescent lava to ~10 and ~25 m of alt., constantly. The hornito of the centre expelled to the greater mentioned height, whereas the others in the Southeastern, the south and the northwest in its expulsions the material slightly excels of the surface. Lava effusion in the peak (~2550 m) of the lava promontory in the northeast flank, formed two short incandescent lava taps that occasionally produced landslide of blocks. Desgasification formed a white cloud of ~50 m of alt., transported to the south.

Eruptions from Pacaya, one of Guatemala's most active volcanoes, are frequently visible from Guatemala City, the nation's capital. Pacaya is a complex basaltic volcano constructed just outside the southern topographic rim of the 14 x 16 km Pleistocene Amatitlán caldera. A cluster of dacitic lava domes occupies the southern caldera floor. The post-caldera Pacaya massif includes the Cerro Grande lava dome and a younger volcano to the SW. Collapse of Pacaya volcano about 1100 years ago produced a debris-avalanche deposit that extends 25 km onto the Pacific coastal plain and left an arcuate somma rim inside which the modern Pacaya volcano (MacKenney cone) grew. A subsidiary crater, Cerro Chino, was constructed on the NW somma rim and was last active in the 19th century. During the past several decades, activity at Pacaya has consisted of frequent strombolian eruptions with intermittent lava flow extrusion that has partially filled in the caldera moat and armored the flanks of MacKenney cone, punctuated by occasional larger explosive eruptions that partially destroy the summit of the cone.

The Current Colour Code for Pacaya is at ORANGE
~~~~~~~~

FUEGO

As of the 2nd of August, the Instituto Nacional de Sismologia, Vulcanologia, Meterologia, e Hidrologia (INSIVUMEH), after being translated from Spanish, reported that twenty-three explosions characterised as: 18 weak and 5 moderate ones. All the explosions created rumbling, expelled incandescent lava to ~50 and ~75 m of alt. and incandescent avalanches in the south flanks and the west with passages from ~500 to ~700 m long. Some moderate rumblings generated weakly sensible shock wave in OVGO.

Fuego, one of Central America's most active volcanoes, is one of three large stratovolcanoes overlooking Guatemala's former capital, Antigua. Collapse of the ancestral Meseta volcano about 8,500 years ago produced a massive debris avalanche that traveled about 50 km onto the Pacific coastal plain. Growth of the modern Fuego volcano followed, continuing the southward migration of volcanism that began at Acatenango, the northern twin volcano of Fuego. Frequent vigorous historical eruptions have been recorded since 1524 and have produced major ashfalls, along with occasional pyroclastic flows and lava flows. The last major explosive eruption from Fuego took place in 1974, producing spectacular pyroclastic flows visible from Antigua.

The Current Colour Code for Fuego is ORANGE
~~~~~~~~~

SANTA MARIA

As of the 2nd of August, the Instituto Nacional de Sismologia, Vulcanologia, Meterologia, e Hidrologia (INSIVUMEH), after being translated from Spanish, reported that the volcano maintains fumaroles of white colour of 200 m of height that moves to the west and southwest of the volcano. Possibly heard is the sound of a train with variable durations between 1 to 8 min. The feeding of material in the lava flow of the ravine of the Taniluyá river stays, with a length approximated of 300 m. Weak avalanches in the ravine of the Cenizas river were observed.

The Current Colour Code for Santa Maria is ORANGE

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2007, 12:14:59 AM »

TUNGURAHUA

As of the 3rd of August, the Instituto Geofisico (IG), after being translated from Spanish, reported that a diminution in the emissions is observed and during today the volcano it has shown mainly roars. The activity like moderate stays to discharge. There was one slight ash fall in Ambato, during the night of today, associated possibly to the emission column that appeared afternoon of yesterday.

The registery has registered a total of 62 events of long period (LP), 19 signals of tremor of emission and 1 small explosion. In the afternoon, the volcano showed a column of constant emission yesterday, with content under ash but that during the night, due to winds and to the direction of the column generated one slight ash fall in the city of Ambato. In hours of the dawn and tomorrow of today the activity of the volcano changed, did not appear ash emissions but if constant roars took place, reported by the watches that are in the environs of the volcano. The roars varied of small to moderate.

The official colour of the volcanic alarm light remains on ORANGE
~~~~~~~~

KILAUEA

As of the 3rd of August, it has been reported to INTLVRC direct from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO), that the 7/21 fissure segments C and D continued to be active; C is barely so but D continued unchanged. The front of the active lava flow had advanced 3.5 km to the northeast as of yesterday afternoon. A deflation-inflation tilt event occurred at Kilauea summit yesterday that mirrored a similar and larger tilt event at Pu`u `O`o suggesting that the hydraulic connection between the two has improved.

Last 24 hours at 7/21 eruption site: The perched pond fed by fissure segment B drained sometime overnight between 7/30 and 7/31; this segment was inactive during yesterday's overflight. Fissure segment C was barely active yesterday producing only sluggish overflows. Fissure segment D was again dominant in activity and continued to feed an `a`a flow advancing to the northeast. The flow front has advanced at an average rate of 19 m/hr since Monday and is now 3.5 km from fissure segment D. Vent areas are hazardous and conditions can change rapidly. Access to the 7/21 eruption site in the Kahauale`a Natural Area Reserve is closed.

Last 24 hours at Pu`u `O`o crater: No incandescence was visible inside Pu`u `O`o crater. The tiltmeter on the north flank of the crater recorded 5 microradians of deflation of the crater between about 0800hrs on the 1st and 0200hrs on the 2nd of August. Seismic tremor levels dropped a little at Pu`u `O`o during the tilt event but no other coincident change in activity was witnessed.

Last 24 hours at Kilauea summit: The tiltmeter network at the summit recorded an event very similar to a deflation-inflation (DI) tilt event between 0800hrs on 8/1 to 0046hrs on 8/2 amounting to 2 microradians of deflation. Seismic tremor levels, which generally increase during a DI event, remained low. A few small earthquakes were located beneath Halema`uma`u crater and the South Flank but their timing was not related to the tilt event. This tilt event is the first to be recorded at both the summit and Pu`u `O`o since early 2005 and may suggest that the events of the past several weeks have improved the hydraulic connection between vent and summit magma storage.

The Kilauea volcano is currently at the ORANGE
~~~~~~~~

ARENAL

As of the 1st of August, the Observatorio Vulcanológico y Sismológico de Costa Rica via the Global Vlocanism Network (GVN) reported that activity continues from Arenal's Crater C consisting of gas emissions, sporadic Strombolian eruptions, lava flows traveling SW, and occasional avalanches from lava-flow fronts. Blocks from the lava-flow fronts periodically reached vegetation and started small fires. Volcanic activity was at relatively low levels and few eruptions occurred. Small amounts of pyroclastic material were ejected and affected the NE and SE flanks. Eruptions produced ash plumes that rose about 2.2 km (7,100 ft) a.s.l. Ash and acid rain fell on the NE and SE flanks. Small avalanches of volcanic material traveled down several ravines. Crater D continues to show only fumarolic activity.

The Arenal Volcano, in Spanish Volcán Arenal, is an active andesitic stratovolcano in north-western Costa Rica (10.5N, 84.7W), around 90 km north-west of San José, in the province of Alajuela. Recognised as a volcano since the 19th century, it was known by foreign investigators as "Volcan Costa Rica, Rio Frio", "Canastos" Volcano and "Cerro de los Guatusos". Arenal is the youngest and most active of all the mountains in Costa Rica. Scientists have been able to date it back to more than 4000 years ago. The area remained largely unexplored until 1937, when a documented expedition took place to reach the summit.

The Current Colour Code for Arenal is ORANGE

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the