Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is Water Baptism needed for Salvation? The Bible says no.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Water Baptism needed for Salvation? The Bible says no.  (Read 40880 times)
Agur3046

I'm a sparrow

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2003, 06:59:44 PM »

Baptism is very important; no one who takes the Bible seriously can dispute it.  

But:

1.   Is it necessary to be saved?  
2.   Does it actually wash sins away?  
3.   Is true faith needed for one to want baptism so it saves them?

No to all three.  It is not necessary because Christ took care of that.  
       It also doesn't wash sins away because it is a work opposite of faith.
       Finally, Faith does not make one get baptised to get saved (it will never save anyways).  Lets say a believer does not want to get baptised, is he really a believer?  Like the statement, "Saved Will Work to be saved," no.  Believing that he's sins are washed away when baptised defeats the purpose of Christ's work on the Cross - never did believe Christ can.

Ps.  Since I have school, I need to be stern - No flood!  I answer verses one-by-one - no exceptions.  So don't give me a list.

agur  

"Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Proverbs 30:4 & Ephesians 2:8-9
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 07:33:07 PM »

Very Good Point!I beleive there are 2 types of Baptism.First The Baptism you speak of,which is by water.The second which is the Baptism of the Holy Spirt.Jesus was Baptised so i was Baptised.You ask do we need Baptism?I say yes!

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 07:58:47 PM »

Matthew 3:13-16

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 09:43:56 PM »

Jesus says that you have to be baptized with water and the Spirit to be saved. So yes, being baptized with water is necessary for salvation.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 11:05:37 PM »

Jesus says that you have to be baptized with water and the Spirit to be saved. So yes, being baptized with water is necessary for salvation.

...uggh...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 11:12:19 PM »

Heidi;
     Please could you tell me where it says this in GODS Word.
                           Thankyou.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 11:52:43 PM »

3:15 - FULFILL ALL RIGHTEOUSNESS: If ever there was a person who appeared to need baptism, it was not Jesus.
Jesus had come as the Servant of God, and He had served His Father flawlessly.
John the Baptist saw the perfect lifestyle of Jesus, and recognized Him for who He was.
He did not believe Jesus needed to be baptized. Jesus' reason for being baptized was exemplary: "to fulfill all righteousness".
Was John's message commissioned by God?
Yes.

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 12:09:44 AM »

Baptism is how we “call on the name of the Lord.” That is why when people are baptized the person who baptizes them proclaims aloud they are being baptized “into Jesus Christ” or “into the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.”   We see in Acts 2:21,38 how closely the phrase “calling on the name of the Lord” is associated with baptism. This calling on the Lord (coupled with faith and repentance) is what distinguishes baptism from merely getting wet.

Ananias spoke these words to Paul three days after Jesus struck down Paul on the road to Damascus. Paul had believed and acknowledged Jesus as Lord for three days at this point in time. If belief alone brought forgiveness, then his sins would have already been washed away.

Let’s take a closer look at this situation:

Here is Paul, who, after having persecuted the church of Christ, is confronted by none other than Jesus Christ Himself in his glorified state. Jesus tells Paul he will be told what he must do (Acts 22:11). Jesus did not tell him what it was he must do. No, Paul would be told by someone else what it is he must do. So while waiting for three days Paul:

1.)   had faith and believed in Jesus as the Son of God

2.)   fasted and prayed in repentance (Acts 9:9,11)

3.)   Yet his sins were still counted against him (Paul is told, “…wash your sins away”)

So for three days Paul was repenting and prayed. Do you think that just maybe, possibly, any of his prayers were asking God to forgive him? But when Ananias comes to him, Paul is told he still has sins that need to be washed away. This is indisputable Scriptural evidence that the “sinner’s prayer” is insufficient to save someone and we are NOT saved before baptism even if we have faith and repentance!

Notice also, Paul is not told to “pray for Jesus to come into your life.” He is not led in a prayer requesting salvation. No, Paul is told to “be baptized!” And the reason he was told to “be baptized” was that his sins were still counted against him--and it is in baptism that they are washed away.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 04:20:26 AM »

The Apostle Paul, whom Christ sent not to baptise (1 Cor 1:17), explicitly states concerning the Body of Christ, "There is one baptism" (Eph 4:5), which is administered by the Holy Spirit and not by human hands (Col 2:11,12), which results in the permanent union of every believer as a member of the Church which is His Body (1 Cor 12:13).

In this age of Grace, NO WATER!

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 04:51:00 AM »

Remember, don't just believe it because someone says it. Look and see what the Bible says.

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 05:38:58 AM »

Acts 2:38.  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22:16.  And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Mark 16:16.  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Is this part of God's word to be ignored?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 05:40:05 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 05:51:53 AM »

Acts 2:38.  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22:16.  And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Mark 16:16.  He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Is this part of God's word to be ignored?

Ollie, Is this part of God's word to be ignored?

The Apostle Paul, whom Christ sent not to baptise (1 Cor 1:17), explicitly states concerning the Body of Christ, "There is one baptism" (Eph 4:5), which is administered by the Holy Spirit and not by human hands (Col 2:11,12), which results in the permanent union of every believer as a member of the Church which is His Body (1 Cor 12:13).

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 06:08:08 AM »

This is very interesting,Brother Love i will do as you have said and do a study on this and post back once i have a better understanding.I know iam a sinner saved by Grace.

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 06:13:24 AM »

This is very interesting,Brother Love i will do as you have said and do a study on this and post back once i have a better understanding.I know iam a sinner saved by Grace.

Amen Brother

(Acts 17:11 KJV) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
(2 Timothy 2:15 KJV) Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 07:43:07 AM »

First of all, we should pay attention to the "doctrines of baptisms" as written in Hebrews 6:2. According to the Bible, there are three different baptisms; the baptism of John the Baptist for repentance, the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist, and our baptism. The baptism that we receive is a confession of our faith in believing the baptism of Jesus. That is to say, we are baptized in order to confess that we believe Jesus was baptized to take away all our sins and also died on the Cross to atone them. Now you can understand Matthew 3:15 where it says, "Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." "Thus" here means that Jesus Himself bore all the sins of the world by being baptized by John the Baptist, the representative of all mankind.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the