Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:52:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286828 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 299514 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2006, 10:15:18 AM »

Amen Sister Maria!

Prayer is a big part of the answer for ALL of a Christian's problems. Prayer is a mighty and precious tool that a Loving GOD has given to HIS children, and we should use it with reverence and thanks.

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Thessalonians 5:8-10 NASB  But since we are of the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet, the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2006, 06:09:49 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 13, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Slow Down and Breathe

Do you get angry? Who doesn't? Anger is part of our make-up as human beings. We get angry because of other people or circumstances, or even because of ourselves. You may have a "short fuse" or a "slow burn" or even a lifelong pattern where anger is your first response to anything that goes wrong. So, what do you do with it?

What Does God Say?

Psalm 37:8 says "Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret--it only causes harm" (NKJV). Sounds impossible, doesn't it? To just quit being angry. Well, that's not quite what's going on here. In this case, to cease from anger is more of a process; it's about slowing down, taking a breath, relaxing or backing off. Don't push or fight to pursue your anger. Think of it as sinking down into your favorite chair and taking a break. So, when anger starts to take over, slow down, back off, breathe!

It's not that we can never be angry, but God's Word warns us to be careful with it. "Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil" (Ephesians 4:26-27, ESV). Don't let it control you or lead you to sin.

If you think backing off shows weakness, look at Proverbs 16:32: "Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city" (ESV).

My Thoughts

How do you think anger can lead you into sin? Pick a situation where you get angry, then trace out (using pictures or words) the path it might take you into sin.

James 1:19-20 teaches "let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires" (ESV). When anger makes an appearance, are you quick to hear, to listen to what's going on? Do you take your time about speaking up? Or does anger erupt before anything else?

God has a desired result here: He wants to see righteousness in our lives, and usually our own personal anger issues don't deliver that.

* What triggers your anger? Jot down several key things.
    * Is it motivated by selfish reasons (not getting what you want, someone didn't do things your way, circumstances interfered with your plans)?
    * Or is it motivated by a sense of justice or moral rightness (what dishonors God, breaks His laws, offends righteousness)?

If your anger fuels a desire for revenge, for payback or vindication, Romans 12:19 tells us, "Dear friends, never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God. For it is written, 'I will take vengeance; I will repay those who deserve it,' says the Lord" (NLT). Leave that in God's hands.

My Part

How do you "cease"? Sorry, there's no secret formula, but sometimes an exercise helps.

Take your list of things that trigger anger. And then follow the instruction in Ephesians 4:31 to "put away" your anger, rage, bitterness and harsh words. Put your list in a drawer or a box, and close it tight. Then spend a few minutes in your favorite chair, asking God to help you control your anger.

You don't need to do this every time you're angry. But you now have an experience or mental picture to recall, a reminder to put it away and cease, relax, back off and breathe.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2006, 06:11:15 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 14, 2006

"Why, God?"

As parents, we often get tired of our children asking us the simple question, "Why?" Sometimes they ask us because they are simply trying to figure life out. Sometimes they ask us because they don't understand why we treated them in a way they didn't like. We may not always be able to explain our actions in words they can understand. It's also sometimes hard for us to explain to them that things they view as unpleasant may be good for them. The same goes for God.

Many Christians today say it is a good thing to ask God, "Why?" when we face difficulties. Yet does our question indicate a lack of trust toward God? Do we sometimes get angry at God because we don't think He cares for us or we wonder if He really knows best? When life gets crazy, do we really believe God is in control? In Psalm 37 King David gives us some good advice on how to handle some of those inner thoughts and feelings we have toward God.

What Does God Say?

"Be still in the presence of the LORD,
and wait patiently for him to act.
Don't worry about evil people who prosper
or fret about their wicked schemes.
Stop being angry!
Turn from your rage!
Do not envy others--
it only leads to harm" (Psalm 37:7-8, NLT).

* What two characteristics should we show as we spend time in the presence of the Lord?
    * If we are angry at God, how will "being still" in His presence help?
    * How does waiting for God to act (rather than taking things into our own hands) reveal our trust in Him?

My Thoughts

When facing difficult circumstances, how do you respond? What do your responses indicate about your relationship with God?

My Part

Take inventory of your life this week and see if there are areas where you have doubted God's goodness toward you. Ask for God's forgiveness for not trusting in His goodness. Tell someone else about an area of your life where God has been good to you. Determine to trust in the unchangeable character of God that is revealed in the Bible, regardless of the questions of your life that remain unanswered.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2006, 06:12:38 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 15, 2006

Dealing With Anger

The Greek philosopher Aristotle said, "Anyone can become angry. That's easy. But to be angry with right person, to the right degree, at the right time for the right purpose and in the right way--that is not easy."

The Bible never condemns anger when it's done in the right way and for the right reason. Jesus was angry when He drove the money changers out of the temple. Most of the anger that you and I experience, however, is the result of selfish reasons. The Bible talks about this kind of anger as well.

What Does God Say?

"But now is the time to get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, and dirty language" (Colossians 3:8, NLT).

"My dear brothers and sisters, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Your anger can never make things right in God's sight" (James 1:19-20, NLT).

* Sometimes we excuse our anger as "not so bad." According to the passage in Colossians, the apostle Paul equates selfish anger with what other sins? What do these sins have in common?
    * What does it mean to be "slow to get angry"?

My Thoughts

Out-of-control anger is a very destructive way to deal with problems in life. The next time you feel anger building in your soul, how can you stop the anger from progressing into wrath? How can you slow down your part in a conversation to prevent anger from erupting?

My Part

Ask a trusted friend or a spouse to tell you how they see you dealing with anger. Spend time with God by reading the Bible and conversing with Him in prayer every morning this week. See if you are better able to handle difficult situations without becoming angry after spending time with Him.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 22:24, 29:22; Ecclesiastes 7:9

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2006, 06:15:57 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 16, 2006
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship

Road Trip

Road trip! Sounds like fun, like an adventure! But if you've ever spent more than two hours in a car with a grumpy friend, whining children or bickering parents, you know the joy and adventure doesn't last long. Life is like a road trip, a journey that's a joy--or not--depending on whom you travel with and the attitude you take.

What Does God Say?

If you want to experience life's journey at its best, pick up some travel tips from Psalm 37:5,7: "Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act...Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices!" (ESV).

Travel Tip #1: Pick the right companion and go with God. Let God be the one who plans your trip, who chooses the route and what you'll see and do along the way. Trust Him with the big picture and the details.

Travel Tip #2:"Be still." When you're traveling, you don't want to "be still," but there's value in a rest stop or pit stop. So, quit struggling to figure it all out, and pull over to take some time with God. Let Him refresh you, refuel you or redirect you. Check in and ask Him to show you the way.

Travel Tip #3: "Wait patiently." This is hard for most of us. It takes time to wait, and it can be boring. We get impatient, we want to go places...but, ultimately, it's worth waiting on God. He knows what He's doing in your life, and He always does what's best.

Travel Tip #4: "Don't fret." To fret is to worry away at something, to gnaw on it, to tug and pick at it like you'd work on a difficult knot. It's not constructive; it eats up your energy, purpose and even your joy. And especially when you see ungodly people get ahead, don't fret about what they're doing or getting away with. Read the rest of Psalm 37, and you'll see that God knows what's in store for them. To fret about it is like missing the beauty of Yellowstone Park because you're still stewing over a driver who cut you off!

My Thoughts

Take a few minutes to read through all of Psalm 37. If you have trusted Christ as your Savior, you're in here as "the righteous" or "the godly."

* Jot down a few things that God does for His people on this journey of life.
    * How have you seen God do these things in your daily journey?
    * What would you like to see change in how you take this road trip with God?

My Part

A lot of people memorize Psalm 37:4. If you already have, consider committing a few more verses to memory. Add verses 3-5 or 3-9.

If you haven't spent much time memorizing Bible passages, this is a Psalm that divides into bite-size pieces. Try one of these: Psalm 37:1-6, 37:7-9, 37:23-29, 37:30-34 or 37:39-40.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2006, 06:19:47 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 19, 2006
Topic: Salvation

To Be Saved

When it comes to salvation or heaven, all religions and philosophies have one thing in common. They all tell you what you need to do (or not do) in order to be worthy of heaven.

What sets Christianity apart from other religions, philosophies and superstitions is that it's not based on what man can do for God, but on what God has done in Christ for man. Perhaps it will help to have the Bible tell us what keeps us out of heaven and what gets us to heaven.

What Does God Say?

What keeps us from heaven? The Bible says that everyone who sins--does wrong things--will be judged. What does the Bible say is God's rule?

"As surely as I live, says the Sovereign LORD...all people are mine to judge--both parents and children alike. And this is my rule: The person who sins will be the one who dies" (Ezekiel 18:3-4 NLT).

Read Romans 3:12.

* What three things does this verse tell us qualifies as sin?
    * What does it tell us about who has sinned?

Now read Ezekiel 18:31-32: "Put all your rebellion behind you, and get for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don't want you to die, says the Sovereign LORD. Turn back and live!" (NLT).

* What does this passage tell us about how God thinks about sinners?

Next, read John 3:16.

* According to this verse, how did God make it possible for you get a new heart and a new spirit?

My Thoughts

Have you always done the right thing, said the right thing and thought the right thing? If not, then you are a sinner.

Have you ever felt guilty for what you have done, said and thought and wished there was someone who could help? Then, you need a Savior.

Have you realized that as a sinner you are under God's judgment because you broke His rules? Then, you need forgiveness and mercy.

Have you ever thought that because you are a sinner, God is angry with you, and is eager to judge you and to punish you? Then you need to know what the Bible actually says about the heart of God.

Have you ever thought that you were too bad to get into heaven? Then you thought correctly.

Have you ever thought you could do enough good things or religious things or loving things to make up for the bad things? Then you have an awful surprise coming when you die in your sins.

Have you ever realized that salvation and heaven is not something you could earn or deserve? Then you need to realize that your salvation and a heavenly home depend on Jesus--who He is and what He did on the cross.

Have you ever realized how very easy it is to stop trusting yourself and start trusting Jesus? Then you need to read the next paragraph.

My Part

To receive salvation (forgiveness of all my sins--past, present and future) and a home in heaven (in God's presence for all eternity), you simply need to trust Jesus as your Savior and commit your life to Him. How? Pray this prayer:

"Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am sinful and in need of Your forgiveness. I repent of my sinful lifestyle, and I want to turn from it and follow You. I believe that You died to pay the penalty for my sins and that You rose from the grave. I invite You to come into my heart and become my Lord and Savior. I ask this in Your name. Amen."

If you’ve prayed this prayer, please let us know by sending an e-mail to info@backtothebible.org.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2006, 06:22:02 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 20, 2006
Topic: Salvation, Sin/Temptation

Redeemed by the Blood

A slaughter-house religion? Guts and gore? Well, it's not exactly A Nightmare on Elm Street or the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but, yeah, blood has played an important role in the Christian faith. Let's take a look at what the Bible has to say.

What Does God Say?

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23, NLT).

"God has purchased our freedom with his blood and has forgiven all our sins" (Colossians 1:14, NLT).

"For the life of any creature is in its blood. I have given you the blood so you can make atonement for your sins. It is the blood, representing life, that brings you atonement" (Leviticus 17:11-12, NLT).

* A "wage" is something earned. When we go through life rebelling against God (sin), what is our "wage"?
    * What is God's solution to this problem?
    * Why does this involve blood?

My Thoughts

God's gift of eternal life is free, but it's not cheap. A life had to be given--and that life was the blood of Jesus. Draw a picture or express in words what Jesus' blood sacrifice means to you.

My Part

Look over the verses above and list at least three "gifts" you received as a result of Christ's blood shed on the cross. Give thanks to God for each of these gifts.

Additional Scripture: 1 Corinthians 11:25-26

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2006, 01:31:40 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 21, 2006

The Ultimate Solution

During the heat of the space race in the 1960s, the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration decided it needed a ballpoint pen to write in the zero gravity confines of its space capsules. After considerable research and development, they developed the Astronaut Pen at a cost of about $1 million.

A sinless God also needed to solve a problem--the problem of being reunited with a sinful people. And He did. But it cost Him more than the Astronaut Pen--a lot more. It cost Him His Son.

What Does God Say?

"He [Jesus] died for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live. That is why all glory belongs to God through all the ages of eternity. Amen" (Galatians 1:4-5, NLT).

"This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins" (1 John 4:10, NLT).

* Who drew up this "solution" (i.e. the plan of salvation)?
    * What is the ultimate purpose of this solution?
    * What is the basis for this solution?

My Thoughts

If you were a parent, would you be able to do this to your child? How much love would you have to have for someone in order to make this kind of sacrifice? How does this make you feel? Draw a picture or express in words these feelings.

My Part

Make a list of at least ten words which reflect how you feel about what God has done for you. Use these words to create a prayer of thanksgiving.

Additional Scripture: 1 Corinthians 15:3, 1 John 2:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 22, 2006

Not Good Enough

Ever been told that you're "not good enough"? That you don't have what it takes to join the team or get the promotion? Maybe you've even been told that you're "not good enough" to be loved. You're not up to the standard; you fall short of expectations, dreams or achievements. That's kind of like our problem with God. We're "not good enough"--on our own--to be His friend or His child. But there is a solution.

What Does God Say?

God is righteous: He is completely pure, totally holy, with absolutely no sin. However, we're not. Sin has made all of us "not good enough." That's Romans 3:23: "For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard" (NLT). We fall short of the standard or mark that God requires. It's like shooting at a target, and no matter how hard we try or what we do, the arrow always misses the rings.

You can do the right things, say the right things, give your money and time, treat others well, behave morally, even be a good person...but it's not good enough. And if you're honest, you know that. You know all your mistakes, rotten attitudes, grudges and secret sins.

Because we're "not good enough," we can never pay for our own sins. We can't meet God's standard, but there is hope. God set the standard, but He also provided the solution in His Son, Jesus.

Go back to Romans 3:21-25: "But now God has shown us a different way of being right in his sight--not by obeying the law but by the way promised in the Scriptures long ago. We are made right in God's sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. For all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard. Yet now God in his gracious kindness declares us not guilty. He has done this through Christ Jesus, who has freed us by taking away our sins. For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God's anger against us. We are made right with God when we believe that Jesus shed his blood, sacrificing his life for us. God was being entirely fair and just when he did not punish those who sinned in former times" (NLT).

Sin is our problem but Jesus Christ takes away our sin and gives us righteousness instead. It's a gift: "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23, ESV). We receive this gift through faith, as it says in Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast" ( ESV).

This means putting our faith in Jesus Christ whose death on the cross and Resurrection from the tomb paid the price for our sin to make us right before God. When God looks at us to see if we meet the standard, He now sees Jesus, and that gives us a new, righteous life. Romans 1:17 says, "This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, 'It is through faith that a righteous person has life'" (NLT).

My Thoughts

It's a lot to take in, isn't it? We're so used to earning everything or being OK with all our faults, that it's hard to turn to God and let Him do it all for us.

* What are some things you know have kept you from God?
    * What are you trying to do to be "good enough"?

Don't be discouraged by your lack of righteousness or that you can't be good enough. Just don't stop there. Look over Romans 3:21-25, and list all the things that God does for you. Then jot down what you have to do to be "good enough."

Use this opportunity to turn to Jesus and accept the gift that He offers.

My Part

In His love and mercy, God sent His own Son, Jesus, to do for us what we could never do for ourselves. Take a few moments to talk with Him about this. Maybe you want to pray something like, "Jesus, thank You for doing for me what I couldn't do for myself. Forgive my sins, give me the eternal life You promised and present me righteous before God, with the power to live His way through the rest of my life."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 23, 2006

Act of God

Often insurance companies refer to natural disasters as "acts of God." Yet when the weather is perfect or the grass needs rain and a shower comes, we say, "Wasn't it a lovely day?" or "That's great, it rained." Aren't these "acts of God" too?

Perhaps the best and most consistent place to witness an "act of God" is not in a tsunami or a volcano, but in a life transformed by Jesus. Jesus came to change our lives from the inside out to a new way of living in God. The Bible tells us that such a transformation requires supernatural power.

What Does God Say?

"Jesus answered, 'I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, "You must be born again." The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit"'" (John 3:5-8, NIV).

* What human experience did Jesus compare such a radical transformation to?

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17, NIV).

"Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us" (Romans 5:1, NLT).

"So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1, NLT).

* According to the above verses, what are some of the results of a changed life?

My Thoughts

How do you experience the transforming work of God in your life?

First you believe. You believe that God loves you, that Jesus is God's Son and that Jesus died on the cross to forgive your sins and to establish a relationship with God as your Heavenly Father.

Second, you confess. You confess by praying. Tell God you know that you've disobeyed Him and you need His forgiveness, that you want to turn away from the things you've done wrong and follow Him, that you believe Jesus died for you and your sins are forgiven through Him.

My Part

If you prayed and asked Jesus to forgive you and become your Savior and Lord, let us know about your decision. Go to our Web site, www.bibleminute.org, and click on "Meet Jesus" at the bottom of the page. There you'll find a way to e-mail us and some resources to help you as you begin living for Jesus.

If you didn't pray, check out the link anyway. You just might find answers to a lot of your questions.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 26, 2006

Jesus Took Our Place

All of us can remember having a substitute teacher in school. The moment the students realized their regular teacher wasn't going to be there, spit balls flew, notes were passed and general chaos took over. Seldom were substitutes as good as the real thing.

But there are exceptions, and we find one of those exceptions in the Bible. Let's take a look.

What Does God Say?

In describing the Messiah (Jesus) who was to come, the prophet Isaiah declares: "But he was wounded and crushed for our sins. He was beaten that we might have peace. He was whipped, and we were healed! All of us have strayed away like sheep. We have left God's paths to follow our own. Yet the LORD laid on him the guilt and sins of us all" (Isaiah 53:5-6, NLT).

* List the ways in which it was predicted that Jesus would be abused.

o What was Jesus being punished for when He was so mistreated?
          o How would you explain to another person how Jesus was our substitute? Write out your explanation below.

My Thoughts

If Jesus had not been willing to be your substitute, how would you have paid for your sins? Guesstimate how much this payment would cost. Divide this by the number of years you've lived. How much would you have had to earn EVERY year of your life to pay for these sins?

My Part

Draw a picture of an empty cross. On this cross, write your sins which Christ bore there for you (lust, envy, anger, etc.). Compose a prayer of thanksgiving for Jesus' willingness to be your substitute.

Additional Scripture: 1 Peter 2:24, Romans 4:24-25, Ephesians 5:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 27, 2006
Topic: Salvation, Sin/Temptation

It's All About Jesus

Maybe you've heard that old country and western song, "It's All About Me"? Well, a lot of Christians are that way too. Our tendency is to focus on us: on our wants, our needs, our problems, our thoughts and so on. It's all about me, me, me.

But the Bible has a totally different focus. Let's take a look at who is in the center of God's Word.

What Does God Say?

"But the angel reassured them. 'Don't be afraid!' he said. 'I bring you good news of great joy for everyone! The Savior--yes, the Messiah, the Lord--has been born tonight in Bethlehem, the city of David! And this is how you will recognize him: You will find a baby lying in a manger, wrapped snugly in strips of cloth!'" (Luke 2:10-12, NLT).

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look! There is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! He is the one I was talking about when I said, "Soon a man is coming who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before I did. I didn't know he was the one, but I have been baptizing with water in order to point him out to Israel"'" (John 1:29-31, NLT).

* Who is the focal point of the angel's message? What does the angel tell us about this focal point?
    * Who is the focal point of John's message? What does John tell us about this focal point?
    * What common theme runs through these two passages?

My Thoughts

If you were stopped at the gates of heaven and asked why you should be allowed to enter, based on these two verses, what would your answer be? Explain.

My Part

Prepare a short presentation explaining the way of salvation through Jesus. Pray that God will send someone across your path this week with whom you can share it.

Additional Scripture:1 Peter 2:24, Romans 4:24-25, Ephesians 5:2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2006, 12:25:34 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 28, 2006

A Blessing

We live in a day of "information overload." Think about how many things you can read in 24 hours--and what you can get out of them.

The newspaper--information on current world, national or local events.

Supermarket tabloids--sensationalized stories about celebrities, "miracle" cures and outlandish people, places and things.

The Internet--a source of more information than you could even begin to wrap your brain around...some true, some false and a lot that falls somewhere in between.

You know, you can spend so many hours reading and learning about so many things--but the Bible says that reading God's Word is about more than just gathering information or learning new things.

God's Word changes people's hearts and lives.

What Does God Say?

"Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD. Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart" (Psalm 119:1-2, NIV).

"Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes. I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts" (Psalm 119:97-100, NIV).

These are just a few verses from Psalm 119, a Psalm detailing the benefits of reading and studying God's Word. Take time this week to read through all of Psalm 119 and notice the "relationship" that the psalmist has with God's Word.

* What does it mean to "meditate" on God's Word all day long? How do you do that?
    * According to the verses above, what are the benefits of being in God's Word? What other benefits can you find in the rest of Psalm 119?
    * If you have a lack of motivation to read or study your Bible, how can you develop a love for God's Word like the psalmist had?

My Thoughts

How much time do you spend in God's Word? Think about these things:

* Do you have regular place or time when you read your Bible? If not, where could you start with that?
    * What book of the Bible is particularly appealing right now? One of the gospels? A letter from Paul? Or maybe a "challenging" book like Revelation? If you're not reading through a specific book, pick one and start today!
    * Have you ever kept a journal? Sometimes writing down your thoughts after you've read your Bible can help you process what God is saying to you and how it's relevant to your life.
    * Are you a part of a group that meets regularly for Bible study? If you're having a difficult time getting motivated to read or study your Bible, joining a small group or Sunday school class can provide some motivation and accountability.
    * Have you ever tried memorizing Scripture? It's a great way to meditate on God's Word "all day long."

My Part

Read all of Psalm 119. Then pick a verse or verses that caught your attention or made a distinct impression on you, and memorize them. Getting God's Word into your head and your heart will motivate you to spend time regularly with God, reading and studying what it is God wants to impress upon you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 29, 2006

Walking in the Way

Every person who walks on the face of the earth receives some blessing from God. Jesus said in Matthew 5, "For He [God] makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust" (Matthew 5:45, NKJV). In other words, everybody who draws breath is going to get some benefit, some blessing from God just by being alive. But that's only the first level of blessing.

There is a higher level than that. It says in Psalm 119:1, "Blessed are the undefiled in the way," (NKJV)--those who choose to walk in the way where they are able to be blessed, those who choose to walk in the way where they're living blamelessly before God, where God can say, "I can give more blessing to them because they're closer to Me; they're more intimate with Me. They walk in a way that is more pleasing to Me."

What Does God Say?

At this point, you may be asking the very question that's asked in Psalm 119:9. How can I walk in the way of the Lord? How can I keep my life pure and blessable? Read verses 9-16.

* What is the answer to the question in verse 9?
    * What are the heart and mind involved in these verses?
    * How are the feet and lips important?
    * What value does the author place on God's Word?
    * Of what value is memorizing Scripture?

My Thoughts

Greater blessings from God come from greater identification with who He is. The closer we draw to Him, the more God delights to share His blessings with us. It should be no surprise that the best way to draw near to God is through His Word, the Bible. But like any relationship, drawing near to God involves more than one aspect of our being. It involves everything: heart, mind, soul and strength.

My Part

When you read your Bible, as you come across a verse that God is using to speak to you, write down that verse on an index card. Make that your verse for the week. Memorize it, and meditate on it. Ask God to help you see what He's teaching you through that verse and how to apply it to your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2006, 12:28:07 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 30, 2006
Topic: Discipline, Christian Living/Situational

Good Advice

Where do you go for good advice? You could ask Dr. Phil, write to Dear Abby, e-mail a friend or call your mother. You might even talk with your pastor or Bible study leader. But the best advice and counsel will always come from God, through His Word, the Bible.

What Does God Say?

There's a whole book in the Bible filled with counsel and wisdom for the practical issues of life. It's called Proverbs, and it offers bite-sized pieces of advice that you can use, sound words that have held up through centuries of history, cultural changes and generational shifts.

Sometimes, it's very specific: "Lazy people are soon poor; hard workers get rich" (Proverbs 10:4, NLT). You see that every day. And it's a reminder that hard work pays off; laziness doesn't.

Other times, it reflects on attitudes about others: "We all have happy memories of the godly, but the name of a wicked person rots away" (10:7, NLT). Or it addresses a principle like controlling the things we say: "Don't talk too much, for it fosters sin. Be sensible and turn off the flow! ( 10:19, NLT). How often have you wished you'd have quit talking before you got into trouble!

Proverbs also offers help for building and maintaining healthy relationships. Sometimes it's good to be reminded that "Disregarding another person's faults preserves love; telling about them separates close friends" (Proverbs 17:9, NLT). Or when you're about to pass on a little "news" between friends, you need to know that, "A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends" ( 16:28, NLT).

You'll also find a wealth of wisdom and counsel about marriage and money, about purity and moral choices, handling temptation, getting older and so much more. Just take a look.

My Thoughts

Why do we need this book? Check out these two sections.

Proverbs 1:1-7

* What is the purpose of these proverbs?
    * What will you gain as you follow this wisdom?

Proverbs 4:20-27

* What difference might this wisdom make in your life?
    * Describe three areas that need to be influenced by the wisdom in Proverbs.

My Part

Since Proverbs has 31 chapters, a lot of people read a chapter a day whenever there's 31 days in the month. July has 31 days--why not start then?

Here's another idea that may involve you more in the wisdom Proverbs offers: Take a notebook or loose-leaf binder, and divide the pages (or use stick-on file tabs) according to a number of key categories (e.g. money/wealth, marriage, children/parents, wisdom, moral choices/purity, speech/words, pride/prestige, attitudes, work/business, food/eating, temptation, integrity, etc. Your choice).

Whenever you read Proverbs, note the different verses in the appropriate category. You can even write them out (it makes them stick in your mind better).

Over time, when you need advice, you'll remember you read it in Proverbs, and you'll have a handy, personal reference based on areas of need. This isn't a quick, overnight project--but it can make a difference for a lifetime.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the