Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 298872 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2006, 02:23:30 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 3, 2006
Topic: Salvation

Can't Do Enough

He was standing in front of St. Peter looking around at the beauty of heaven and hoping to be let in. St. Peter explained the exam. A passing grade was 70, perfection was 100, a 69 or less would send you to hell.

The first question was, "What generous things have you done?" The man listed all he could remember. St. Peter says, "That's good. You get one point. What else?" The man lists all the religious things he's done. St. Peter says, "That's good. You get another point. What else?"

Then, the man then listed all the kind things he had done. St. Peter says, "That's good. You get one more point. What else?" The man listed all the moral things he'd done. "OK," St. Peter says. "One more point."

"Well," says St. Peter, "your grade right now is four points. It's not looking too good. Can you think of anything else?"

The man desperately searches his mind and says, "I think I've told you everything, except I did trust Jesus as my Savior."

"That's worth 100 points," says St. Peter. "Come right in!"

This story is fiction, but the moral is an eternal truth: you can't do enough to get into heaven on your own. And the Bible teaches that truth repeatedly. (See Ephesians 2:8-9.)

What Does God Say?

"As the Scriptures say,
'No one is good--
not even one.
No one has real understanding;
no one is seeking God.
All have turned away from God;
all have gone wrong.
No one does good,
not even one'" (Romans 3:10-12, NLT).

"For our sins are piled up before God and testify against us. Yes, we know what sinners we are. We know that we have rebelled against the LORD. We have turned our backs on God" (Isaiah 59:12-13, NLT).

What's the bad news? We can't do enough, no matter how hard we try or how sincere we are, to get to heaven on our own. What's the good news? Jesus did enough to get all of us to heaven.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life. God did not send His Son into the world to condemn it, but to save it" (John 3:16-17, NLT).

"And you know that Jesus came to take away our sins, and there is no sin in Him" (1 John 3:5, NLT).

My Thoughts

Are you relying on what you have done or what are trying to do to get to heaven? Can being generous, moral, kind, religious or sincere count enough?

The Bible teaches us that going to heaven is not about me and what I do (or don't do). It's about Jesus--who He is (the Son of God) and what He did (gave His life on the cross to pay for our sins--what we've done wrong) and what He wants to do for us (forgive us of all of our sins and give to us the free gift of heaven and a relationship with Him).

Do you trust in yourself and what you do? You can't do enough. But you can trust Jesus and His death on the cross as more than enough as the way to heaven.

My Part

How do you trust Jesus?

By believing that what He did on the cross is sufficient to go to heaven and by inviting Him into your life to be your Savior and Lord. Pray a prayer something like this.

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I have disobeyed You and done things that are wrong, and that I am in need of Your forgiveness. I'm sorry for those things and I want to turn from them and follow You. I believe that You died to pay the penalty for my sins and that You rose from the grave. I invite You to come into my heart and become my Lord and Savior. I ask this in Your name. Amen.

Then check out our Web site, www.bibleminute.org. Click on "Meet Jesus." It will tell you more about trusting in Jesus as Savior.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2006, 03:09:11 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 4, 2006
Topic: Bible Study/Theories

Blessings From the Word

There are a lot of things that are good for us: daily exercise, plenty of sleep, vitamins, a balanced diet. And we should all try to make these a part of our lives as often as possible. Daily if we can. But these things only have value for our earthly lives. There's another daily habit that can provide eternal value--and that's reading God's Word.

Let's look at Psalm 119 (which is all about God's Word) to discover some of the benefits that come from making the Bible a daily part of your life.

What Does God Say?

"How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word and following its rules" (Psalm 119:9, NLT).

"Your decrees please me; they give me wise advice" (Psalm 119:24, NLT).

"Then I will have an answer for those who taunt me, for I trust in your word" (Psalm 119:42, NLT).

"I meditate on your age-old laws; O LORD, they comfort me" (Psalm 119:52, NLT).

* What do these verses say about the benefits of reading God's Word?

My Thoughts

We've only scratched the surface when it comes to discovering the benefits of making God's Word a daily part of your life. Read through Psalm 119 entirely, and see how many other benefits you can find not yet mentioned in this study. (Hint: try vv. 24, 93, 98-99 and others.)

My Part

What seems to hinder you the most from spending time daily in God's Word? Make a plan to deal with these hindrances now. Call upon your family and friends to help you overcome any obstacles that are preventing a daily time in the Bible.

http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2006, 09:53:36 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 5, 2006
Topic: Pain/Suffering

Comfort Zone

If you're human (which is likely if you're reading this), you have to face the fact that pain and suffering is a part of life. It's what you do in the middle of difficult circumstances that matters. You could turn to a thousand different places, people and things to deal with the "hard stuff." Drugs and alcohol, relationships, your job, sex, gambling, the Internet--all of these places offer you a temporary "escape" in your times of trial, but none of those things offer lasting comfort.

There's one place where you can find comfort--true comfort that offers a lasting peace and calmness--and that's in God's Word. God is able to bring healing and hope to you in ways that nothing or no one else can.

What Does God Say?

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God" (2 Corinthians 1:3-4, NIV).

"My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life" (Psalm 119:50, NIV).

"I remember your ancient laws, O LORD, and I find comfort in them" (Psalm 119:52, NIV)

* How does God comfort those who are troubled?

* When you're going through a tough time, where do you go in God's Word? Is there a particular passage or verse that encourages you?

* How do God's promises "preserve" life?

* What can you do to allow God's Word to be a source of comfort to you?

* What is a "by-product" of receiving comfort from God?

My Thoughts

* Describe a time when God's Word comforted you in a situation that seemed sad and hopeless. What verses meant the most to you?
    * Think of a time when you felt very anxious and uptight. Did God give you any verses that provided a measure of peace and calmness?
    * Sometimes, after you've gone through a difficult time, you'll notice that you meet others who are dealing with the same thing you just went through. This is your opportunity to "comfort those with the comfort" you received from God (2 Corinthians 1:4). Has God ever brought someone to you that you were able to comfort because you shared similar circumstances?

My Part

If you don't already have one, consider keeping a journal, especially if you are going through a difficult time. Write down your thoughts, feelings, what you're learning, how God is shaping you--all of these things can be useful later if you meet someone who is going through a similar circumstance. It's amazing how much you can forget if you don't write things down, and what you learn in the middle of difficulty is often very life-changing!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2006, 09:54:50 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 6, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

The Book of Comfort

The word "comfort" means "with" (com) "strength" (fort[e]). In other words, comfort is not a matter of simply making someone feel better; it is a matter of giving a person the courage to go on--to face the future even though he or she may be in the midst of difficulties right now.

No book is able to do this better than the Bible. The God of all comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3) has written a book that's brought comfort to millions. Let's take a look at some of the places where this is especially true.

What Does God Say?

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand" (Isaiah 41:10, NLT).

* What promises in this verse could be seen as comforting? Rephrase these promises in your own words.

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them" (Romans 8:28, NLT).

* What does God cause to work together for our good?
    * What kind of a person does God make this promise to?

My Thoughts

Think about a difficulty that you're currently going through. What do you find comforting from the verses above as it applies to your situation? Explain.

My Part

Take some time to memorize Isaiah 41:10 and Romans 8:28. Prepare a short story where you share how these verses (or verse) comforted you in a time of need. Be prepared to share not only the verse but your short story with someone who also needs comfort.

Additional Scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2006, 09:56:04 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 7, 2006

Daily Benefits

Many of us take a multivitamin each day to get the nutrients and minerals we need for a healthy body. The benefits come from daily intake, putting in what we need and restoring what we've used. We don't wait until we're sick, then pop a handful of vitamins. Sadly, we often treat God's Word that way. We take it on an emergency basis and forget that a daily dose is far better for our spiritual health than a quick bite when we're facing a crisis.

What Does God Say?

Throughout the Scripture, we see how God's Word has value for our lives. Psalm 19:7-11 describes the law or word of the Lord and its benefits: "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul...trustworthy, making wise the simple...right, bringing joy to the heart...clear, giving insight to life...pure, lasting forever...true, each one is fair. They are more desirable than gold. ...They are sweeter than honey. ...They are a warning to those who hear them; there is great reward for those who obey them" (NLT).

Wisdom, insight, refreshment--these are things we need each day, but we'll only find them if we tap into God's Word.

What other benefits will you discover? Start with your A-B-Cs.

* A is for Anxiety. Look up these verses for help in coping with it: Psalm 94:19; Matthew 6:25-33; 1 Peter 5:6-7 and Philippians 4:6.

* B is for Blessing. God offers us both material blessings (Ezekiel 34:26, Psalm 21:3-6) and spiritual blessings (Psalm 5:12, Psalm 32:1-2, Psalm 29:11; see also Ephesians 1:3-14 where verse 3 describes the source and verses 4-14 list them).

* C is for Comfort and Compassion: Isaiah 57:18, Isaiah 66:13, Psalm 23:4, John 14:26-27, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 and Lamentations 3:22-23.

That's just a quick start--use a concordance or on-line Bible word search to find more verses.

My Thoughts

As you read these verses, did you see something new? Something you need?

Do you look to God for these things on a regular basis? Or do you just call Him in an emergency?

If we're in the Word on a daily basis and familiar with all that God offers, then we'll be prepared in a crisis. We'll be familiar with God's promises and character; we won't flounder about looking for help. But it will take commitment to His Word and making it part of our lives.

My Part

Take a look at your calendar, and plan to make a focused effort on finding daily benefit in God's Word. Set a goal, work with a plan and stick to a time or "appointment" if that will help. Here's an idea to try:

* Goal: 22 days (long enough to get a good habit established).

* Plan: Psalm 119 is divided into 22 sections (NIV, ESV and NLT Bibles split them according to the Hebrew alphabet). Read one section a day, and review it with questions like:
          o What do I know about God or His Word from these verses?
          o What does God and His Word do for me (the daily benefit)?
          o What is or should be my response?

Jot a few notes, keep track of what you discover and ask God to make these benefits part of your words, actions, attitudes and thoughts.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2006, 08:27:01 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 10, 2006

A Chapter a Day

If you sit down and read War and Peace (good luck!), you'll learn about life in Russia during the Napoleonic wars. If you read Alice in Wonderland, you'll get an entertaining look at a young girl and her adventures in a strange land. If you read the TV Guide, you'll be able to plan your television viewing schedule for the next week.

If these other reading materials provide information, what do you learn from reading the Bible? You will find everything you need to live a fulfilled and successful life. The wisdom and instruction contained in God's Word will guide you through every circumstance in life. It's not too surprising then that the longest chapter in the Bible is a song dedicated to the Bible itself.

What Does God Say?

Read Psalm 119:97-104, and answer the following questions.

* What are the various words used for "Bible" in this passage?

* What benefits does the author get from reading God's Word?

* How does God's Word affect the author's actions?

My Thoughts

With the Bible among the longest books ever written, reading it can be a daunting task. But remember every word in God's Book is useful. Even if you can spend only five minutes today reading the Bible, do it.

My Part

There are many ways to read the Bible. If starting at the beginning in Genesis doesn't work, start in the New Testament. If three chapters a day is too much, read one. Don't approach your Bible like a mountain to be conquered as quickly as possible. Take your time--plan on at least a year to read the whole thing. Allow God's wisdom to seep into every area of your life as you spend time in His Word.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2006, 04:50:28 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 11, 2006

Learning Wisdom

There's an old story about a young man who was selected to the take the place of an elderly bank president who was retiring. The young man wanted to get off on the right foot, so he went to the elderly man for advice.

"How can I succeed as the president of this bank?" he asked.

"Make good decisions," the elderly man replied.

"But how do I learn to make good decisions?" his young replacement wanted to know.

"By making bad ones," the man replied.

Now, it's certainly true that we can learn from our mistakes. But there's a better way. The Bible offers us wisdom that can help us make wise decision without experiencing the pain of bad ones.

What Does God Say?

"A wise man will hear and increase learning,
And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel" (Proverbs 1:5, NKJV).

* What will help you increase in your learning?
    * What does a person of understanding do when he or she needs wisdom?

My Thoughts

Listening (hearing) is key to gaining wisdom. How good a listener are you? What steps can you take to become a better listener?

My Part

This week, after spending time in prayer and Bible study, add a few minutes to your Bible study to simply sit and listen for God to speak. While it's not likely to be in an audible voice, God can speak to you by guiding your thoughts concerning what you have read in His Word. Keep a notebook handy to record what God is saying to you.

Additional Scripture: Psalm 111:10, Proverbs 1:20-33

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »

Amen Brother, this devotional caught my attention, I have been posting various Scripture along with some commentary and some with my own 2cents  Grin. The topic is titled just that Wisdom. God has given us wisdom to do the things we do. Someone came up with an idea and electricity was discovered, someone came up with an idea and plumbing was constructed to bring water into cities, to irrigate crops, etc., someone came up with an idea and the first plane was built. Were these people smarter than most others? Not so, but God has given men wisdom as He did when He directed the building of the Tabernacle, He gave wisdom to each to carry out the work that He wanted. Today God will give us wisdom as well all we have to do is ask God, and seek wisdom.

Pr 2:6 For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

Jas 1:5  If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2006, 02:55:41 PM »

Big AMEN to that BEP's

So offten we seek wisdom from those that have "worldly knowledge and wisdom" which may not be the best advise or council for believers. I have been guilty in this myself and as I grow in my faith and rely more on Christ, I find myself drawn to those I know have a greater understanding of God than I (kind of like many of you I have met through this site) to seek knowledge, council and wisdom.

When good council comes from Gods word and those who live by it, it just feels better suited to any situation.

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2006, 06:16:08 PM »

Big AMEN to that BEP's

So offten we seek wisdom from those that have "worldly knowledge and wisdom" which may not be the best advise or council for believers. I have been guilty in this myself and as I grow in my faith and rely more on Christ, I find myself drawn to those I know have a greater understanding of God than I (kind of like many of you I have met through this site) to seek knowledge, council and wisdom.

When good council comes from Gods word and those who live by it, it just feels better suited to any situation.

And I'll give a big AMEN to that  Cheesy

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2006, 05:34:27 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

AND another AMEN to all of the completely correct thoughts. We should all know that GOD loves us and wants to guide us. We must yield, pray, and study HIS WORD to receive the things that HE wants to give us. The amazing but quite reasonable fact about this is that GOD'S guidance, leading, and Will for us is always perfect and suitable uniquely to us. BUT, if HIS Will involves something beyond our capabilities, HE Will equip us for what HE wants done. It's beyond the comprehension of the lost that the CREATOR Himself gives us individual attention, gives us access to HIS Majestic Throne of Grace, and listens to our prayers and pleas. After all, we belong completely to HIM and are children of the KING of KINGS!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 18:28 NASB  For You light my lamp; The LORD my God illumines my darkness.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2006, 02:44:28 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 12, 2006

The Wisdom of the Word

There are so many people in this world who claim to be wise: philosophers, teachers, parents (and, of course, grandparents!). But not all who claim to be wise actually are.

Real wisdom--godly wisdom--isn't something you just happen to pick up over time, or something that just "comes naturally." Godly wisdom has one source, and that's God's Word. If you want to be wise--to acquire a wisdom that can change your life--you need to read and study the source of all wisdom: the Bible.

What Does God Say?

"Let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance--
for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise" (Proverbs 1:5-6, NIV).

"Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her" (Proverbs 8:10-11, NIV).

"My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God" (Proverbs 2:1-5, NIV).

* Where does real wisdom begin?
    * How can the "wise add to their learning"? Where does the discernment and guidance come from?
    * Why is wisdom so precious?
    * What are things people choose over wisdom?
    * Can you be wise without knowing and understanding God's Word?

My Thoughts

Have you ever been in a situation where you needed the "wisdom of God" in order to handle it correctly? Maybe you had a parenting issue, and you needed wisdom in dealing with a child. Or maybe you had a dilemma at work where you needed understanding and guidance in dealing with some kind of difficulty. In situations like these, what do you do? Where do you turn?

Think of the last situation when you needed God's wisdom:

* What did you do?
    * Did you look for help in making a wise decision? Where did you go?
    * Who can help you find wisdom?
    * In your opinion, did you make a wise decision? How do you know?

My Part

Identify one area or issue in your life that you're dealing with. How are you trying to be wise? If you don't have a mentor or a pastor or someone in your life who challenges your thinking and helps you to be wise, think this week about finding someone like that. Do you have a good friend who seems to be especially insightful or has a good handle on God's Word? Ask that person to be a sounding board for you as you're working through your particular situation.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2006, 02:45:46 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 13, 2006

Growing in the Word

There used to be a magazine advertisement where a bulky beach bully kicked sand into the face of a 90-pound weakling. In the next frame, the weakling was transformed and was capable of intimidating the meanest bully on the beach--all because he used a certain product.

Of course, it's not that simple. But it's still possible if given the right diet and exercise. And the same is true for spiritual growth. Maybe you're a 90-pound weakling when it comes to spiritual growth. But you can be transformed, and the Bible tells you how.

What Does God Say?

"Oh, the joys of those
who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand around with sinners,
or join in with scoffers.
But they delight in doing everything the LORD wants;
day and night they think about his law.
They are like trees planted along the riverbank,
bearing fruit each season without fail.
Their leaves never wither,
and in all they do, they prosper" (Psalm 1:1-3, NLT).

* If you want to grow spiritually, what are some of the things you'll want to avoid?
    * In contrast to the above, what things will stimulate spiritual growth?
    * How is the outcome of this growth described?

My Thoughts

Draw a picture (or express in words) the kind of tree you'd like to be. Label the fruit on the tree with the kind of spiritual fruit you'd like to see in your life (maybe you'll want to go to Galatians 5:22-23 to get some ideas).

My Part

Like a physical fitness program, a spiritual fitness program takes planning. Consider the following requirements if you want to grow spiritually: a regular time and place to meet with God, a Bible translation that you can understand, a notebook or computer on which to record your insights from God. Begin to implement these steps today.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2006, 06:31:27 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 14, 2006

Make Time

There's so much in life that demands our time and attention, but we always manage to make room for what we believe is important. So, if you struggle to fit God into your busy life, maybe time isn't always the issue? Maybe it's more about priorities. Do you see time with God as important enough to create space for it in your life? You know you should pray and read the Bible; you know it's good for you. But is it hard to see it as critical to your spiritual survival?

What Does God Say?

God wants to spend time with you, and He wants you to know Him through His Word, not just in an hour on Sunday but in a way that permeates your life daily.

Deuteronomy 6:6-9 reflects this: "And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are away on a journey, when you are lying down and when you are getting up again. Tie them to your hands as a reminder, and wear them on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates" (NLT).

* List as many places/times as you can where/when God's Word should be considered.

Look at Psalm 1:

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers" (Psalm 1:1-3, ESV).

* According to this psalm, what are the benefits of meditating (reading and thinking about) God's Word?

Read Psalm 63:1-8, which describes King David's desire to spend time with God.

* What does David want from God?
    * What is he looking for?
    * What does he find when he focuses on God?

My Thoughts

Are these things you're searching for in your life? How do you think making God your priority could change this?

My Part

Look at your schedule or daily routine for two or three days, and see how you spend your time.

* Is there something you don't need to do? Something that eats up 15 or 20 minutes like the late evening news, a computer game or an afternoon talk show?
    * Early morning is often suggested, but that might not be your best time. Think about evening after work, to unwind before bed, during a lunch break, while the kids are napping or a free period at school.
    * Set an appointment, like you would with the doctor or your boss. And try to keep that appointment each day. Start with two or three days in a row; then go for five, and work up from there.
    * Create a plan. It doesn't have to be complicated, but include Bible reading, time for thought or jotting notes, prayer or quiet meditation, asking God to show you what He wants for you. Use David's prayer in Psalm 42 as a model.

This is a great way to ask God to fill you with the desire to spend time with Him, to look forward to it, to anticipate and hunger for it. Who knows? Before long, the big question of your day may become "When can I go and meet with God?"

By the way, if you've picked up today's Bible Minute study and worked through it, congratulations! You made time in your busy day to meet with God and focus on His Word. It's not impossible, is it?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2006, 10:42:25 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 17, 2006

Doers of the Word

When the Wasp, one of America's great naval vessels in World War II, caught fire and began to sink, the sailors were ordered to abandon ship and swim away from the vessel immediately. They jumped overboard, but instead of trusting their well-tested life jackets for safety, many clung to the sides of the ship. When the vessel plunged beneath the surface, these sailors were sucked down with it.

Many Christians have the same problem. They hear the Word, but they don't obey it. Let's see what the Bible says about hearing without obeying.

What Does God Say?

"And remember, it is a message to obey, not just to listen to. If you don't obey, you are only fooling yourself. For if you just listen and don't obey, it is like looking at your face in a mirror but doing nothing to improve your appearance. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you keep looking steadily into God's perfect law--the law that sets you free--and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it" (James 1:22-25, NLT).

* To what does James compare those who listen but don't obey?
    * What is the purpose of a mirror? How does this compare to God's Word?
    * What is the result of obedience to God's Word?

My Thoughts

Are you a "doer" of God's Word or a "hearer" only? Give one example from your life during this past month when you obeyed because you knew this is what the Bible told you to do.

My Part

The Book of James has five chapters. For the next five days, read a chapter a day. Keep a list of the things God says you're suppose to do. Each day, select from that list one thing you will do that day because the Bible says so. At the end of the five days, if you'd like to continue, keep using this process to apply God's Word to your life.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 2:2-4, 4:1-9

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the