Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:57:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 298818 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2006, 08:58:28 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: May 24, 2006
Topic: Relationships

Love without Meaning

Boy meets girl. Boy and girl fall in love. Boy and girl get married, have 2.3 kids, buy a house in the suburbs and a mini-van and live happily ever after.

Or not.

These days, "happily ever after" is no guarantee--not with the divorce rate around 50 percent. Sometimes love fades, relationships crumble and couples find themselves wondering what happened to their picture-perfect, till-death-do-us-part plan of loving each other to the end.

Maybe you've been there. Maybe you're there now. Or maybe you've not experienced the heartache of a broken marriage, but you've experienced the pain of a relationship that ended badly or unexpectedly.

Love can be amazing. It can also be incredibly painful. But even in the midst of the pain of broken or difficult relationships, God is there, and He gives you purpose.

What Does God Say?

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'" (Jeremiah 29:11, NIV).

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28, NIV).

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God" (Ephesians 3:17-19, NIV)

* How can these verses help you when you're dealing with a broken heart or a failed relationship?
    * If you feel unloved or maybe unlovely, how can the verses in Ephesians change the way you think?
    * What kinds of plans does God have for you?
    * Can God use a broken or failed relationship for your good? How do you know?

My Thoughts

* If you're dealing with heartache right now, what can you focus on that will give you a sense of purpose and hope?
    * What gets you "outside of yourself" when you're dealing with disappointment or when you're feeling down?
    * How can your relationship with God take priority over every other relationship in your life? After all, your relationship with Him is the one that will last, no matter what.

My Part

Find something to do this week that is completely "others-centered." Serve at your city mission or a soup kitchen. Volunteer to help with something new at your church. Help a neighbor with a project, visit someone in the hospital or take a meal to a new mom. It's amazing how getting your focus on someone else can diminish any pain or disappointment you might be feeling.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2006, 07:45:40 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: May 25, 2006
Topic: God/Jesus

God First

Ever get the feeling that life has no meaning? No matter what you do or try or enjoy, it's gone before you know it? You can have it all but it never seems like it's enough to satisfy the deepest corners of your soul. Maybe there's something missing.

What Does God Say?

In the Book of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon recorded his thoughts as he tried to find meaning and satisfaction in life. He developed great wisdom and indulged his desires but they led to nothing (Ecclesiastes 2:9-11). He discovered that amazing wealth (Ecclesiastes 5:10), hard work (Ecclesiastes 5:16) and even the cycle of life was like chasing the wind (Ecclesiastes 6:3-12).

Solomon tried it all; he searched and questioned and experimented, just like we do. Then he came to one firm conclusion: "Fear God and obey his commands, for this is the duty of every person" (Ecclesiastes 12:13, NLT).

Don't be put off by that word "fear"; it's not about being terrified or frightened. To fear the Lord simply means that you treat God with honor and respect because He's the holy, sovereign God. Don't take His character, His works or His Word lightly, but come to Him in awe and reverence, ready to obey and serve.

Maybe this is what's missing in your life. It's time to fear the Lord. Put God first, making Him your focus instead of looking around for what you want out of life. Make this vertical relationship with Him your priority, then let it influence your horizontal relationships with people, work and life around you.

My Thoughts

The Book of Psalms is a great place to adjust your focus. Flip through these verses, and jot down what you see God doing to bring meaning, purpose and satisfaction to your life.

* Psalm 25:4-5
    * Psalm 90:14,17
    * Psalm 107:1-2, 8-9
    * Psalm 145:13-20

God invites you to come to Him for all that makes life good and fulfilling. See what He offers in Isaiah 55:1-3. Do you look to Him for what you need? Or do you try everything else first?

My Part

Take a few moments to evaluate your life with these questions:

* Do I work for God? Do I see my job as a way to serve, honor and please Him?
    * Do I love others with God's love? Do my relationships honor and please Him and do good to others?
    * Do I live each day with God in mind? Do I try to walk in His presence, seeking to enjoy, honor and please Him?

If you get a lot of "no" answers, maybe it's time to invite God to become the focus of your life. Psalm 63:1-8 is one of many passages that can direct you back to God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2006, 06:45:59 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: May 26, 2006
Topic: New Life

Filling the Void

When you get where you're going, will you be where you want to be? That's a good question. And it has even greater significance when we apply it to life.

Is there a way to insure that all we're doing now has value and that our life does not end with a sense of meaninglessness? The Bible clearly says yes, there is a way. And it teaches us about what brings joy and fulfillment in life.

What Does God Say?

Ecclesiastes 1:2 says, "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity" (NKJV). And you know what? The last chapter of the book repeats the same theme: "Vanity of vanities...all is vanity" (12:8, NKJV).

Do you realize that vanity is the theme of the whole Book of Ecclesiastes, and its conclusion is that everything "under the sun," everything that doesn’t include God, is vanity?

The word vanity means "that which is of no ultimate value to us, something that is meaningless to us. There's just nothing real here. There's just nothing satisfying here." The writer of Ecclesiastes, Solomon, concludes that, apart from God, everything is meaningless. All is of no long-term value.

Does the Bible offer any hope? Read the verses below, and write down what you discover.

"Then Jesus said to the disciples, 'If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process? Is anything worth more than your soul? '" (Matthew 16:24-26, NLT).

"But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name" (John 20:31, NIV).

"I [Jesus] have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10, NIV ).

My Thoughts

Isn't there a sense of frustration when you realize that everything you're doing could be futile? Your work, your wealth, your self-esteem, everything you are and everything you have is meaningless. That sounds dismal, doesn't it? And that makes the contrast that Jesus brings to life even more wonderful.

How does/could life in Christ affect the most important areas of your life? How does it affect your job? Your family? The meaning and purpose of your life?

My Part

What do you want people to say about you when you're gone? What would they say about your life as it stands right now? Would they say that you live for God's purpose?

Consider your answer to that question, and ask God to help you live more for Him in all areas of your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2006, 10:29:27 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: May 29, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Finding Wisdom

We hear a lot about shortages these days. Some areas face drought and even the rationing of water. Other areas are experiencing famine so there's a shortage of food. But one shortage that seems universal is wisdom. Wisdom is the ability to apply knowledge in a practical way. The world is filled with knowledge, but it desperately lacks the ability to apply it in a helpful way.

There is a solution to this; it's called God's Word. Through God's Word, you can learn how to apply truths to your life that will benefit you and all those around you. Let's see what the Bible has to offer.

What Does God Say?

"If you need wisdom--if you want to know what God wants you to do--ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. They can't make up their minds. They waver back and forth in everything they do" (James 1:5-8, NLT).

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do" (2 Timothy 3:16-17, NLT).

* According to James, who are we to ask for wisdom?
    * What kind of an attitude do we need to have when we ask?
    * The apostle Paul tells Timothy that Scripture is the instrument God uses to impart this wisdom. List at least three characteristics of God's Word found in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that relate to wisdom.

My Thoughts

When was the last time you turned to the Bible for wisdom? What might be stopping you? For some it's the thought that the Bible was written thousands of years ago and couldn't possibly be relevant for today. However, the Bible deals with human nature, and while technology changes, human nature doesn't. Others don't know where to start. One good place is with those books of the Bible called the Wisdom Literature: Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon.

My Part

For the next 31 days, read a chapter from Proverbs each day. Before you begin reading the chapter for that day, stop and pray. Ask God to show you the wisdom He wants you to learn for that day. Keep a notebook handy to record the insights God gives you.

Additional Scripture: 1 Kings 3:5-9

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 06:55:19 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: May 30, 2006

The Benefits of Wisdom

In her final years, when Hedy Lamarr was almost blind and living alone, she would ask strangers, "Would you believe I was once a famous star? It's the truth." And it was. As a Viennese teenager, Hedy, who died January 19, 2000, at age 86, was hailed as "the most beautiful girl in the world."

The kind of fame and glory that the world gives never lasts. The benefits are only fleeting. But there is something that does last--God's Wisdom. And it has benefits that will last throughout your life.

What Does God Say?

"Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure. Then you will understand what it means to fear the LORD, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the LORD grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of good sense to the godly. He is their shield, protecting those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of justice and protects those who are faithful to him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will know how to find the right course of action every time" (Proverbs 2:2-9, NLT)

"Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose speech is corrupt" (Proverbs 2:12, NLT)

"Wisdom will save you from the immoral woman, from the flattery of the adulterous woman" (Proverbs 2:16, NLT).

* List below some of the benefits that wisdom brings.

My Thoughts

Wisdom doesn't come easily. These verses urge you to "cry out for insight and understanding. Search for them as you would for lost money or hidden treasure" (Proverbs 2:3-4, NLT). Rewrite these verses in your own words.

My Part

In this next week, think about how you might "search" for wisdom. Share Proverbs 2:3-4 with a friend, and brainstorm together ways that you might seek for wisdom.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 1:20-23, 3:13-18

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2006, 02:21:14 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: May 31, 2006

Imparting Wisdom

There are so many things to "go for" in life. Wealth. A good reputation. Intelligence. Fame and popularity...and the list goes on. As a parent, part of your job is to teach your children what is worth going after--what's worthy of your kids' time and attention.

Part of teaching your kids is modeling for them. Being an example for them. Living your life the way you'd want them to. So, what takes up your time and attention? What do you give your life to? Because what you're going after is what your kids are going to value. You're the one who teaches them, from the start, about what's important in life.

Do your values reflect God's values? Are you investing your life in the right things? Let's look at what the Bible says is worth pursuing.

What Does God Say?

"Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her" (Proverbs 3:13-15, NIV).

"A wise son brings joy to his father" (Proverbs 10:1, NIV).

"A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke" (Proverbs 13:1, NIV).

"He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe" (Proverbs 28:26, NIV).

* What is the value in having wisdom?
    * Where does wisdom come from?
    * Why is wisdom so valuable? What does it do for you? What does it accomplish?

My Thoughts

Helping our children learn godly wisdom is no easy task. Ask yourself these questions:

* What have I done in the past week to help my kids make wise choices? In the past month?
    * What is involved in helping my children gain wisdom? (i.e. talking about God's Word; conversing about choices and the consequences to making bad ones; talking through real-life situations, helping them understand pros and cons, guiding them in decision-making, etc.)
    * How can I make sure I'm intentional in helping my children become wise? What can I do on a regular basis to impart wisdom to them?

My Part

It's a lot easier to teach our kids about something if we're a "step ahead" of them. For example, I don't have to be the best driver in the world to teach my son how to drive--but I do need to know how to drive better than he does!

So, take a few moments this week to evaluate your lifestyle, the choices you're making, the decisions you've yet to make, etc. Just how wise are you? Your kids watch you closely, and a lot of the wisdom they gain comes as a result of watching how you live. Is there an area of your life you could use a little wisdom in? Get godly counsel. Pray through a specific situation. Ask God for wisdom...for both you and your children.

Additional Scripture: Ecclesiastes 7:1-29; 8:1

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2006, 02:22:58 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 1, 2006
Topic: God's Care

Safe in His Hands

When you were a child and walked beside your dad, sometimes you might have tried to get your little hand around his fingers. That often didn't work very well. But if your dad took your small hand in his larger one, you were more secure. After all, your dad was bigger, stronger and able to take care of you better. He didn't use his strength to squeeze the life out of you, but to look after you. God's mighty hand does the same thing.

What Does God Say?

Scattered through the Bible are references to God's hand guiding, providing, disciplining and defending His people. Right now, let's focus on security and the confidence you can have because His hand protects you.

Psalm 139:9-10 tells you that you're never beyond His reach: "If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me" ( ESV). And God's hand gives you refuge from those who oppose or try to destroy you: "Wondrously show your steadfast love, O Savior of those who seek refuge from their adversaries at your right hand" (Psalm 17:7, ESV).

Psalm 37:23-24 tells us: "The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand" ( ESV). God walks with you and if, like a child, you trip, He's there to pick you up and put you back on your feet. How safe and protected does that make you feel! He is always with you, holding your hand. (See Psalm 73:23.)

My Thoughts

Psalm 121 doesn't specifically mention God's hand but it takes His hands to do all these things for us. Think of the word "keep" as the action of God's hand. Read through Psalm 121 and list what God does.

Then review your list and next to each action, jot a few ideas or comments about how God is or may be doing this in your life.

My Part

Having seen what the hand of God does to bring security to your life, can you make this statement your own? "But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hand" (Psalm 31:14-15, ESV). Do you trust God to take care of you, to put your life completely in His hands?

This week, memorize Psalm 73:23-26 as a reminder that God holds your hand and that is all the strength and help you'll ever need.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2006, 04:36:15 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 2, 2006

The Hands of God

At the moment the first plane crashed into the World Trade Center on 9/11, the world changed.

All of the sudden, life felt more fragile. The world felt more insecure. The future seemed more uncertain and everything was just plain scary.

But, you know, before 9/11, all of those things were still true. Life was fragile even before two planes toppled those famous skyscrapers. The future has always been uncertain (except to God) and things even "pre 9/11" could be pretty scary.

America is not, nor was it ever, the most secure place to be. Security lies in one place and one place only: in the hands of God.

What Does God Say?

"My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from me" (John 10:27-29, NLT).

"The LORD keeps you from all evil and preserves your life. The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever" (Psalm 121:7-8, NLT).

"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me" (Isaiah 49:16, NIV).

* What do these verses say about God's care for you?
    * In the first verse, who is the shepherd? Who are his sheep? What does the shepherd do for his sheep?
    * How do you reconcile the fact that bad things happen, even to Christians, yet God's Word says "the Lord keeps you from all harm"?
    * Once you are secure in God's hands, can you ever be separated from Him?

My Thoughts

Sometimes life feels a little out of control or insecure. Maybe you've gone through the ordeal of losing your job. Or you've struggled with relationship problems. Maybe you've been swallowed up by depression, wrestled with an addiction or dealt with overwhelming financial issues. How does knowing that God's in control of your future help--or does it?

Think of a time when you felt a little overwhelmed or insecure about your circumstances. Maybe you're there right now. What helps? Memorizing Scripture? Prayer? Music? What keeps your mind focused on God's faithfulness to you?

My Part

When you hear or read that God is "sovereign," it means that God is in control. Of everything. Nothing happens that He doesn't allow--that He hasn't give "permission" to happen. Make a list of things you feel insecure or unsure about. Then pray through everything on that list, thanking God for His sovereignty in every aspect of your life.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 5, 2006
Topic: Service/Servanthood

Equipped to Serve

It happens almost every day. A kid on the playground gets ready to hit the ball out of the park, and the other team yells, "You'll never hit it!" It happens in families when a young woman tells her parents she's applying for medical school and they respond, "You won't last a year."

Opposition. Unfortunately, it happens among Christians too. Very few people have entered the missions field with 100 percent support from their friends and family. "Do you understand what you're getting into?" "What's wrong with serving at church?"

It even happened in the Bible. When David told Saul about his plan to fight Goliath, Saul laughed at him and questioned his ability to face a giant. Let's look at how David responded.

What Does God Say?

Right away, given the situation, David does have a strike against him. He's a boy volunteering to fight a giant. Saul's skepticism at least makes a little sense. But when you read 1 Samuel 16, you learn some important information about David that Saul didn't know.

Read 1 Samuel 16:1-13.

* What does God remind Samuel about judging a person's character?
    * What does God's selection tell you about David?

Instead of buckling under Saul's accusation, David stands by his decision. On top of that, he gives Saul some information to think about. Read 1 Samuel 17:34-37.

* Why does David think he can beat Goliath?
    * What is David's reason for fighting?

My Thoughts

David was acting in the name of God. He saw a giant insulting God and no one doing a thing about it. When someone questions your ability to serve, the first thing to do is examine your own motives. Are you serving for the glory of God or for your own glory?

Second, remember that a person's worth can't be seen on the outside. If someone questions your ability to serve in an area you know God has called you, take a moment and share your testimony of what God has done in your life.

My Part

In what area do you feel most equipped to serve God? How has He used you in that area? Take some time to write down what He's done in and through you in this area. Even if you don't need this testimony to defend your service, use it to guide your praise as you look at all the ways God has worked in your life.

Additional Scripture: 1 Samuel 16

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2006, 04:18:20 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 6, 2006
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship

Take the Challenge

What are two of the most difficult things in the world for a Christian to do? The first is to always do the right thing, and the second is like the first--as you do the right thing, do it with the right attitude.

What Does God Say?

"[Jesus said] If you love me, obey my commandments...Those who obey my commandments are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them, and I will love them. And I will reveal myself to each one of them" (John 14:15,21; NLT).

"But Samuel replied, 'What is more pleasing to the LORD: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Obedience is far better than sacrifice. Listening to him is much better than offering the fat of rams. Rebellion is as bad as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as bad as worshiping idols'" (1 Samuel 15:22-23, NLT).

"So even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered" (Hebrews 5:8, NLT).

"Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form. And in human form he obediently humbled himself even further by dying a criminal's death on a cross. Because of this, God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name that is above every other name" (Philippians 2:5-9, NLT).

* What do the above verses teach about importance of obedience?
    * Who is our example of obedience?

My Thoughts

Why is God so concerned about our obedience? First, because it indicates the level of trust we have in God. Second, it indicates the level of commitment we have to God. Third, it indicates our progress in learning two valuable lessons of life--the lessons of humility and the lessons of patience.

How would you rate your life in obedience to God?

My Part

Do you think God would have you change your behavior and attitude toward obeying Him? Ask His forgiveness for any areas where you need to change and for your character to become more like Jesus.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2006, 04:19:32 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 7, 2006

Standing on God's Strength

Over the last several decades, it would seem that our society has taken a definite anti-Christian stance. The American Civil Liberties Union has been instrumental in bringing about many changes that have hindered Christians from exercising their faith in the public realm.

How should we respond to such challenges? Typically, we complain a little bit and then conclude there is nothing we can do about it. We forget who God is and how He can work through anyone to achieve His purposes.

David's encounter with Goliath in the Bible demonstrates principles we can apply to "giants" in our society today. Let's take a look.

What Does God Say?

When David offered to meet Goliath's challenge, King Saul tried to discourage him.

"But David persisted, 'I have been taking care of my father's sheep,' he said. 'When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and take the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. I have done this to both lions and bears, and I'll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God! The LORD who saved me from the claws of the lion and the bear will save me from this Philistine!' Saul finally consented. 'All right, go ahead,' he said. 'And may the LORD be with you!'" (1 Samuel 17:34-37, NLT).

* What kind of God did the armies of Israel serve? How does this make a difference in the way we face challenges?
    * What is the basis for David's trust in the Lord?

My Thoughts

What are some of the ways you have fled from the "Goliaths" in your life instead of trusting God?

My Part

Draw a line halfway down a sheet of paper. Above the line, list some of the ways you've seen God work in your life to deliver you from difficulties, both big and small.

Below the line, list some of the challenges you face now or will face in the near future.

Fold the paper down along the line so that the upper half covers the lower half. On the back of the upper half, write a prayer of thanks for God's care for you in the past and in the future.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2006, 07:20:44 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 8, 2006
Topic: Bible Characters

Spiritual Benchwarmers

Benchwarmer is hardly a term to be proud of these days. No kid shooting hoops in his driveway dreams of sitting on the bench at the NBA finals. He's dreaming of that final seconds fast break with only an open court in front of him. A half-court shot to win the game would also work.

It's hard to sit by while everyone else is accomplishing great things. But those periods of waiting need not be idle time wasted. Let's look at the life of David and the time he was asked to "ride the pine."

What Does God Say?

First Samuel 17 is one of those red-letter chapters. It contains one of the most famous stories in the Bible: the story of David and Goliath. Even in the secular world, people aspire to be a David standing up to the giants of society and toppling them. But near the beginning of the chapter, we find David, the soon-to-be mighty warrior, in an unexpected place. Read verses 12-18.

* Where do we find David in these verses?
    * Why do you suppose David was here, and not one of his brothers?
    * How does David end up at the battle?

Imagine, a major fight going on, and you can't go. It would have been one thing for David's father to say, "Son, we need more men on the front line. We need you to go!" Instead, David is sent off as a delivery boy.

Once David reaches the battle, he volunteers to fight Goliath. But first, we get a glimpse of the value of waiting on the Lord in David's conversation with Saul. Read verses 31-37.

* What is Saul's reaction to David's request?
    * On what does David base his readiness to fight Goliath?
    * Of what value for this experience were David's days as a shepherd?

My Thoughts

David was a man with a strong desire to honor the Lord. That's why, even though he was a boy, he volunteered to stand up before Goliath. He didn't do it for his own honor but for the Lord's. But if David's passion had caused him to refuse to ever be a shepherd, would he have had the skills he needed to kill Goliath? Probably not.

Where you are in life right now may not seem glamorous. You may feel like you are being wasted in God's service. But God never leads anyone anywhere by mistake. What God is teaching you right now is important, so don't be in a hurry to move away from there.

My Part

Maybe you want to serve the Lord, but you don't seem to possess the qualifications or experience that people seem to be looking for. If this is you, take some time to write down your frustrations, but also include the "life lessons" you're learning as you wait for the opportunity to minister in a more significant way. Take a few moments to thank God for the experiences that you are going through now that are preparing you for the future.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2006, 07:22:17 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 9, 2006
Topic: God's Care

Taking on the Giants

Life is full of giants. Things like financial debt, poor health or broken relationships. As a result, we're often left frightened or discouraged. We lose our desire to even go on. The odds are all against us.

But the Bible is full of people who had to face situations that were of gigantic proportions. And they succeeded, not because of their own strength but because of God's. David was one of them. Let's see what he can teach us about battling the giants in our lives.

What Does God Say?

In 1 Samuel 17, David says to the Philistine giant, Goliath: "You come to me with a sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD Almighty--the God of the armies of Israel , whom you have defied. Today the LORD will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel!" (vv. 45-46, NLT).

? How does David's "equipment" for battle compare to Goliath's? Who was better equipped and why?

* Who did David credit as the deliverer?
    * What were the results of God defeating the Philistines through David and his army?

My Thoughts

Sometimes when we mess up, we say that we "put the cart before the horse." Describe a time when you've gone ahead of God to handle a "battle" in your life. How did it turn out?

My Part

When we face life on our own strength it is often an issue of trust--trusting God's strength and resources.

* Take some time to kneel before the Lord and ask Him to help you let go of the control of your life and give them to Him, allowing Him to lead and you to follow.
    * Read Old Testament battles/crises and see how often it was God and the underdog who were victorious when the people relied on His strength (i.e. Gideon, Samson, Daniel and many others).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2006, 06:58:16 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jun 12, 2006

Anger Management

So many things in life can make you angry.

You work hard on a project at work, and someone else takes the credit for it--or, maybe worse, says, "I don't like it," and sends you back to the drawing board to start all over.

You find out a close friend has betrayed your confidence or your spouse has been unfaithful or your child has lied to you.

People back down on promises. Parents say harsh words. Coworkers get away with dishonesty.

Sometimes the only emotional response that seems to fit a particular situation is anger. But that's not always a bad thing. It's what you do with your anger that God says is important.

So, what's the Bible say about dealing with inevitable anger?

What Does God Say?

"Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not envy others--it only leads to harm" (Psalm 37:8, NLT).

"And 'don't sin by letting anger control you.' Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a mighty foothold to the Devil" (Ephesians 4:26, NLT).

"My dear brothers and sisters, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Your anger can never make things right in God's sight" (James 1:19-20, NLT).

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise person quietly holds it back" (Proverbs 29:11, NLT).

* Why is anger a potentially "dangerous" emotion? What can happen if you don't control it?
    * How can anger give a "foothold to the Devil"?
    * How can you keep anger under control and not allow it to control you?
    * How long is "too long" to be angry?

My Thoughts

Think about the last time you got angry.

* What happened? How did you deal with your anger? Did you control it--or did it control you?
    * Is there anything you could have done differently? If so, what?
    * How can you avoid situations that "push your buttons"—that stir up anger?
    * If you can't avoid them, how can you prepare yourself for situations that provoke anger? What can you do to make sure you handle anger correctly before the anger even hits?

My Part

Come up with a game plan for how you can relieve the stress when anger hits. Exercise. Pray. Get a dart board. Write in your journal. Put some music on your I-Pod that helps you calm down. Find something that helps you deal with your anger appropriately so that you can stay in control...and not let the anger control you.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2006, 10:12:19 PM »

Hi Brothers, I'm not snooping, I just thought this was a very interesting devotional. I'm sure you all wanted to share it.  Cheesy Grin Roll Eyes

Brother Tom, anger can cause so much division in families, it can cause illness, gray hair, and it can change the feelings of anyone around the person tha is angry. It is a normak human emotion, yet the Bible tells us be angry yet sin not, well let me just say this that as imperfect humans we tend to sin even when we are trying very hard not to. Therefore the best thing to do with anger is to learn how to control it and not let it control you. Anger is not one of the fruits of the Spirit so we know that we can defeat it. All the suggestions that are mentioned above are very very good, but another one that I have found to be very helpful lately is to pray for the person that causes me to become angry, you cannot stay angry if you stay in communication with the Father. When we think of the person that has caused us to become angry we should try to think of that person as if it was one of our children, and really see their imperfection, yet still be able to love them.   Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the