Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:18:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bible Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 130 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible Minute  (Read 298870 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2006, 11:42:57 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 18, 2006
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship

Just Ask

What do you really need today? Not what you want--like more money or a good nap or a little more time--but what do you need to live successfully. . .right now? How about a little wisdom? God offers the wisdom you need to get through today and through life. You just have to ask.

What Does God Say?

Can you really ask God for something like wisdom? James 1:5 says yes: "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him" (NIV).

God gives us wisdom--lots of it, because He gives generously and more than we anticipate. And He gives it "without finding fault"--He won't stand there and recount all the times you could've used wisdom before but didn't ask for it. So, don't be afraid to ask!

Jesus not only tells us to ask but He promises that when we ask, there will be an answer. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened" (Matthew 7:7-8, ESV).

When the Holy Spirit takes up residence in your life, He also brings wisdom. In Ephesians 1:17, the apostle Paul prays "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him" (ESV).

My Thoughts

Read Proverbs 2:1-10.

* How do you find wisdom (vv. 1-4)?
    * What is the heart of wisdom (v. 5)?
    * What does the Lord give to those who seek wisdom (vv. 6-8)?
    * What do you gain from seeking wisdom (vv. 9-10)?
    * How would you describe wisdom? James 3:17 may offer some help.

My Part

Do you need wisdom? What specific areas or needs in your life right now require wisdom from God?

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2006, 07:32:54 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 19, 2006
Topic: Bible Study/Theories

Buried Treasure

Imagine a young man digging through his grandparents' attic when he comes across an old, faded parchment. It's a treasure map complete with directions and a big black "X." "I'm rich!" he exclaims. Then he takes the map, gets it framed and hangs it on his wall without ever looking for the treasure. Is this man really rich?

Many people do the same thing with their Bibles. They will boldly proclaim that in its pages are the keys to life and happiness. Yet their Bible lies on the nightstand with nearly as much dust on it as the buried treasure.

If we want the benefits that come from the Bible's wisdom, we need to dig for it!

What Does God Say?

Before we start digging, we need to know what we're looking for. Read Proverbs 2:3-4.

* What is Solomon telling us to search after?
    * What importance should we place on this search?

The word, search, can be a hang-up. It implies work and effort when our lives are already busy. But the effort is worth it. Read Proverbs 2:5-6.

* What do we gain from this search?
    * What is the source of these benefits?

My Thoughts

The "wisdom" of the world says the wisdom of the Bible is worthless. Maybe that's the first obstacle we need to overcome. As you think on what God's teaching you, ask Him to give you a hunger for His wisdom.

My Part

Are you really as busy as you think you are? Over the next couple days keep a "time diary" of your daily activities. How long do you spend on meals, driving or watching TV? Once you've got a fairly good snapshot of your average day, find a spot where you can spend some time "digging" into the Word. Don't be surprised if after a few weeks you start making more time for God!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2006, 07:34:09 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 20, 2006
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Only From God

"Common sense is uncommon." "Horse sense indicates a stable person." "A word to the wise..."

These quips remind us there is more to wisdom than information or understanding. Max Born died in 1970. A close friend of Albert Einstein and a colleague of Max Planck and Otto Hahn, the nuclear physicists, Born was one of the great minds of the 20th century. In an interview on German television before his death, Born commented: "I'd be happier if we had scientists with less brains and more wisdom."

Whether we're scientists or not, all of us could use more wisdom. But where do we get it? The Bible tells us the source.

What Does God Say?

"For the LORD gives wisdom;
>From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk uprightly" (Proverbs 2:6, NKJV).

"He [God] changes times and seasons;
he removes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding" (Daniel 2:21, ESV).

* What do these verses teach us about wisdom?
    * How can you acquire wisdom?

My Thoughts

Do you lack wisdom? Have you made choices in the past that were not wise? Is there anything in your life now that requires wisdom? God does not want us to have to deal with the consequences of wrong choices and poor judgment. Read James 1:5. What does it teach us about God's provision for us?

My Part

When is the best time to ask God for wisdom? Why, right now, of course! Now pray, honestly acknowledging your need for God's guidance and direction in your life. Then pray about three particular situations/relationships for which you need God's wisdom. Remember to thank Him for answering your prayer so generously and graciously.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2006, 07:35:24 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 21, 2006

Godly Advice

A few years ago, a truck driver sitting in the cab of his truck about 180 miles east of Charlotte, North Carolina, threatened suicide. He was upset over the breakup of his marriage. For three hours, a crisis team communicated with him over CB radio, trying to talk him out of taking his life. But other motorists, overhearing the dialogue, also contacted him on their radios. While some were supportive, others egged him on, saying he didn't have the guts to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, he took the wrong counsel and shot himself to death.

Whom we choose to listen to can make the difference between life and death. The Bible tells us that we need to choose carefully whose advice we're going to take.

What Does God Say?

"The words of the godly are like sterling silver; the heart of a fool is worthless.

"The godly give good advice, but fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense" (Proverbs 10:20-21, NLT).

* How does the writer of Proverbs describe the words of the godly?
    * What does it mean for a heart to be "worthless"? How does this affect a person's advice?
    * What is it that destroys a fool?

My Thoughts

Think about the last time you needed advice. To whom did you turn? Would that person or source be considered godly? Why would this make a difference?

My Part

Make a list of godly people whose counsel can be trusted. As you discover people who have a close relationship with God, add them to your list. The next time you need advice, pull out your list.

Additional Scripture: Proverbs 2:7

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2006, 04:25:34 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 24, 2006

Why the Bible?

How many Bibles do you own? Two? Seven? Ten, maybe? You know, we're spoiled. We have God's Word--His timeless message to all of mankind--right at our fingertips, 24-7, available to us in several different versions. Yet we don't read it. Probably not like we should, anyway.

So how can we change that? How can we be people who value our relationship with God enough that we take the time and energy required to read and study God's Word in a way that's life-changing?

Well, let's start right there with the whole "life-changing" idea. Do you believe that? Do you believe that God's Word can really change your life?

Let's look at what God says about that.

What Does God Say?

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17, NIV).

"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you" (Psalm 119:11, NIV).

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12, NIV).

* What are some of the things God's Word is "useful" for, and how have you seen it used in your life?
    * How can you practically hide God's Word in your heart?
    * How is God's Word able to "penetrate"? How has it "penetrated" your life or heart in the past?
    * What does it mean that God's Word is "alive"? "Active"?
    * In order for God's Word to do anything in your life, you have to be in it! Are you? When?

My Thoughts

Think of a time when God used a specific verse or passage to change your thinking or your heart about something. What was going on? What was the passage? How did God's Word change you? When did God give you that particular verse? (i.e. in church, during a quiet time, in a Bible study or small group discussion, etc.)

My Part

If you don't have a regular time alone with God when you are not only speaking to Him (prayer) but also allowing Him to speak to you (through His Word), schedule one and make a commitment to keep that appointment each day for a week. Maybe you could commit to returning to this Web site and using these Bible Minute studies each day to help get you started in God's Word! Whatever you choose, the most important thing is that you read God's Word and that you do it regularly.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2006, 06:37:47 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 25, 2006

Understanding the Bible

On the old TV show Star Trek, the futuristic crew of the Starship Enterprise would often find themselves with a difficult problem. Finally, someone would figure out what to do and explain it in very technical jargon. "If we reroute power through the ancillary subconductors..." But then comes that "ah-ha" moment when someone puts it in plain English: "Oh! Like pouring water over a fire!"

Reading the Bible can sometimes feel like reading a technical manual. So many names and places and concepts fly by so fast, it's impossible to see how anyone could understand it--and this is supposed to be our guide to life.

Like many other things, understanding the Bible requires some effort. But with the right tools, finding out what your Bible is saying shouldn't be too hard. Let's look at some of the tools included in most study Bibles sold today.

Book Outlines: These short articles at the beginning of each book provide information about who the original author was and when the book was written. You'll also find out what ideas are emphasized in the book.

Footnotes: There's an old adage that says "if you have a question, chances are someone else has it too." If you are having trouble understanding a certain verse, chances are someone else had trouble too. The footnotes are where you'll find information you might not otherwise know. Like the fact that Psalm 119 is an acrostic poem.

Cross-references: There's probably no better way to see how intricately the 66 books of the Bible weave together than by following the cross-references. By tracing these references, you'll be able follow people as they are mentioned in different books (Othniel is in Judges and Joshua) or follow concepts as they develop in the Bible.

Concordance: A concordance is usually an edited list of all the places a word is used in the Bible. This is handy for finding a verse when you can only remember a word or two of it.

Maps: Do you know what the expression "From Dan to Beersheba" means? With a map, you'll find that Dan is in the far north and Beersheba in the far south of Israel. In other words, it's like saying "from coast to coast."

But here's the most important thing you'll need in understanding the Bible. Everything above just gives you facts, but understanding the facts, finding that "ah-ha" moment, can only come from the Holy Spirit.

What Does God Say?

In John 16:1-15, Jesus describes many things the Holy Spirit will do. Look at verse 13:

* What is the Holy Spirit doing here?
    * Where does the Holy Spirit receive His knowledge?

My Thoughts

Can you ever remember a time when a formerly confusing part of the Bible suddenly became clear? That's the Holy Spirit at work. What have you been reading lately that's confusing you? Take it to the Lord. Like a good teacher, He's always pleased to answer any question.

My Part

Knowledge is power, or so they say. But real successful living comes from moving beyond knowledge of the Bible to understanding it and applying it to your life. If you don't have a study Bible, you can find one at most bookstores. If you do have one, use its tools. Most importantly ask for the Holy Spirit to teach you each and every time you open the Word of God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 26, 2006
Topic: Holy Spirit

The Spirit of Truth

Who or what do you turn to when you need to understand a Bible passage? Your pastor? A commentary, concordance or a word-study book? How about the Internet? None of these options are necessarily bad, but the Bible points us to another source that's even better.

What Does God Say?

"When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas; he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. He will bring me glory by revealing to you whatever he receives from me. All that the Father has is mine; this is what I mean when I say that the Spirit will reveal to you whatever he receives from me" (John 16:13-15, NLT).

* What does the Holy Spirit do according to this verse?
    * What/who is the focus of the Holy Spirit's ministry?
    * Who is the source for all that the Holy Spirit reveals?

My Thoughts

The next time you sit down to read and study the Bible, make it a point to ask for the Holy Spirit's help. You might pray something like this: "Father, thank You for Your Word. I know that it contains all I need to know to live life the way You want me to live it. I ask now that the Holy Spirit open my eyes to see and understand what I'm reading. Amen."

My Part

For the next two weeks, put away all your devotionals, commentaries or whatever other books you might have that are about the Bible. Read only your Bible, asking for the Holy Spirit to show you the truths that God wants you to know for today. Write these down. At the end of the two weeks, compare what you've written with what others have said about these verses in your other books.

Additional Scripture: John 14:16-17, Romans 8:26-27

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2006, 05:00:29 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 27, 2006

Asking for Help

The Bible is a great book, but let's face it, sometimes it's hard to understand. You read it and read it and think you know what it says, but you're just not sure. So, how do you figure it out? Well, God offers you help. You just have to ask for it. He gives us the Holy Spirit to teach us (John 15:26). But there's another source of help too.

What Does God Say?

When you become a Christian, you're part of the Body of Christ, the family of believers. That means you have new spiritual brothers and sisters who can help you in many ways. . .including understanding God's Word, the Bible. "And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles. . ." (1 Corinthians 12:28, ESV).

Through the Holy Spirit, Jesus gives these gifts to the Body (the church) so that we're equipped and built up to serve Him." He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11-12, NLT).

We have people within the Christian family to help us understand what God says through His Word. So, when you need help, go ask them!

Now, while not everyone has the gift of teaching, this doesn't mean that only a few select people can teach or help you understand the Bible. Look for help from other Christians who study and read the Bible. People who are spiritually more mature in the Word because they constantly use it. They may not be "educated" with a seminary degree, but they're people who are "in the Word."

My Thoughts

The Book of Acts is full of stories and examples of people who came alongside someone else to help them understand what God was saying in His Word. Take a look at two cases: Acts 8:26-35 and Acts 18:14, 24-28.

* What was the need?
    * Who was involved?
    * How was it met?

What are some things you'd like to understand better about the Bible?

My Part

When you're looking for help from other believers, remember that it doesn't have to be your pastor or Bible study leader (though they may be an excellent choice). It might be someone in your family or a friend who's studied more than you have. Look for someone who's involved in God's Word in a personal way. Who do you think might be able to do that in your life?

Then contact them, and set up a time to meet so you can ask questions and discuss the Bible. As you talk together, don't just focus on the facts or answers to your questions, but ask about ways you can learn to study the Bible with understanding. And check what you both know with what the Bible says.

Just a note--there are some great tools on-line that help you engage in the Bible and understand it better. But there's no substitute for sitting down with another Christian, having a conversation about God's Word, and learning and growing together. Try it!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2006, 05:01:39 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 28, 2006

Testing the Spirits

During 1977, millions of people lined up at museums in different cities across the United States to view the treasures of the tomb of King Tutankhamen of Egypt. Many of the pieces appeared to be beautiful gems in settings of pure gold. It was only later that those in charge of the exhibit made a surprising discovery. When tests were done on the gems, they found that some of the jewels were nothing more than cut glass!

Many things appear to be genuine, yet when the appropriate tests are done, they turn out to be fakes. The same can be said for those preaching supposedly spiritual truths. The only way to tell for sure is to do the appropriate tests--and the Bible tells us how.

What Does God Say?

"Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world....But we [the apostles] belong to God; that is why those who know God listen to us. If they do not belong to God, they do not listen to us. That is how we know if someone has the Spirit of truth or the spirit of deception" (1 John 4:1, 6; NLT).

* Why do we need to "test" those who claim to speak by the Spirit?
    * In John's day, a common claim made by false teachers was that Jesus didn't come in the flesh (i.e. physically). What common false teachings do we find today?
    * How do we know if someone is speaking the truth or trying to deceive us?

My Thoughts

The apostles speak to us today through God's Word. The better we know the Bible, the easier it is to tell whether someone is speaking by the Spirit or trying to deceive us. Set aside a regular time each day to read and study God's Word.

My Part

Go to our Web site and view our selection of Bible reading guides. (See link below). Begin to use it this week to read in an organized fashion through your Bible during the rest of this year.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Jul 31, 2006

Making God's Word Practical

Life is filled with theories: the theory of relativity, the theory of quantum physics, etc. But, quite honestly, we don't think much about how these theories affect our daily lives. For many people, that also applies to the Bible. The Bible is just a bunch of theories about God that don't seem to have a whole lot of application to daily life.

Studied appropriately, however, the Bible is very much a "now" book. It can have an incredible impact on our lives today. Using the method that Dr. Kroll mentions in his study (if you didn't hear the program, you can still benefit from this method), let's first see it demonstrated in Scripture itself. And then let's see how it would work in our own personal study.

What Does God Say?

"The Holy Spirit said to Philip, 'Go over and walk along beside the carriage.'

"Philip ran over and heard the man reading from the prophet Isaiah; so he asked, 'Do you understand what you are reading?'

"The man replied, 'How can I, when there is no one to instruct me?' And he begged Philip to come up into the carriage and sit with him. . . .

"The eunuch asked Philip, 'Was Isaiah talking about himself or someone else?' So Philip began with this same Scripture and then used many others to tell him the Good News about Jesus.

"As they rode along, they came to some water, and the eunuch said, 'Look! There's some water! Why can't I be baptized?' He ordered the carriage to stop, and they went down into the water, and Philip baptized him (Acts 8:29-31, 34-38; NLT).

* What was the Ethiopian eunuch doing when Philip met him?
    * With Philip's help, what did the man do next?
    * What application of this passage did the eunuch make?

My Thoughts

This story demonstrates the three-step method of studying God's Word: instruction (what does it say), interpretation (what does it mean) and application (what does it mean to me). Use this method in your next devotional time.

My Part

Take a notebook and divide each page into three columns. Label one column "instruction," the second "interpretation" and the third column "application." Open a Bible that has the text divided into paragraphs. Begin with the Gospel of John and for each of the paragraphs, follow these three steps. Depending on the amount of time you have, you may cover just a paragraph or perhaps a whole chapter.

Additional Scripture: Revelation

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 1, 2006
Topic: Love

Love Equals Time

How do you say "I love you"? Especially to your kids? Kids like candy or a new toy, maybe even a funny card or thoughtful note. . .but nothing says "I love you" more than your time. When you give someone the gift of your time, you're saying, "You're valuable to me; other things aren't that important right now. I like you, and I want to be with you."

While the way we use time expresses love to our children, it's just as important for our spouses, other family members and friends.

What Does God Say?

Alright, the Bible doesn't say, "Parents, spend an hour each day with your children, for this is good and will make your home happy." However, it is full of instructions for parents to teach their children, to model faith, to express love and discipline. None of these things can be done in a hurry or at a distance.

It takes your time to follow Deuteronomy 6:5-7: "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise" ( ESV). Just which part of the day does that involve? Well, all of it--any time can be used to teach your children and by doing so, you let them know you love them.

In 2 Timothy 1:5, the apostle Paul reminded Timothy of the investment his mother and grandmother had made in him. And then he said, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 3:14-15, ESV).

You can be sure that Timothy's mother and grandmother put a lot of their time into Timothy's life, in order for him to be spiritually rooted and mature for God's service.

My Thoughts

So, we know it takes time to teach our children--that's fairly obvious. But your time also expresses love.

What is love? Look at 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" (ESV). Now, go back through each phrase and ask yourself:

* Have I shown this kind of love to my child?
    * What are some ways I can do this better?
    * What will it take of my time?

None of these things can be done in a hurry; they take thought, the choice to change a pattern or even sacrifice something on your part. If you don't have children, try asking these questions about your relationship with your spouse, with your parents, with a friend or another family member.

My Part

Now, go back to the question about "ways you can do this better," and choose one of your answers. Then intentionally set that in motion: make an appointment with your child, shift a meeting, give up a round of golf, whatever it takes. And take that first step in giving your time.

As you do, ask God to show you more ways you can put your love into practice through the gift of time.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 2, 2006

Beyond Words

One of the great lessons that kids learn from their parents is love. And if we want to show our kids we love them, we need to do more than just tell them.

Whether it's spending time with them after work, cheering them on at their little league game or just squeezing their hand while taking a walk, let your child know that you love them. Let's look at what the Bible says about loving our children.

What Does God Say?

One of the greatest passages in the Bible on how to demonstrate love is found in 1 Corinthians:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" (1 Corinthians 13:4-8, NIV).

My Thoughts

There's a lot to think about in those verses, but here's a couple questions to guide your thinking:

* What are some ways you can demonstrate love through patience with your children?
    * Do you find yourself reminding your children of past mistakes? What do the above verses say about that?
    * How have your children reacted to their "failures"? What kind of lesson might they be learning?

My Part

Eighteen years seems like a long time, but the time flies by quickly. If you're realizing today that you haven't been demonstrating love to your children, don't wait another day to start. Pray for God to forgive your mistakes, and pray that He will enable you to demonstrate the love that both you and God have for your children.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2006, 12:23:29 AM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 3, 2006

Loving Out Loud

While you're not just a "product of your environment," the environment you grew up in certainly had a huge influence on who you are today. As kids, a lot of our behavior is learned by watching and imitating our parents. And we take that behavior into the family we create ourselves if we choose to get married and have our own children.

Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing--chances are good you picked up some great things from your mom or dad along the way. But the reality is, no parent is perfect, so you may have adopted a few not-so-great things as well.

The cool thing is, you don't have to be your parents! You can keep the good stuff you learned from them and change the bad. For example, maybe your parents were not particularly demonstrative when it came to expressing love--and that could be a challenge for you with your family. Well, you can change. . .you can start being more expressive. God has the power to make you an incredibly loving parent, and how you love your kids will have a huge impact on how they love theirs.

What Does God Say?

"Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it" (Proverbs 22:6, NLT).

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged" (1 Corinthians 13:4-5, NLT).

* How do you "direct" your children?
    * What does loving your kids have to do with the verse from Proverbs?
    * A lot of times people use the word, love, to describe an emotion. But the verses about love in 1 Corinthians portray it as a very "active" concept. Read through 1 Corinthians, and then describe love in your own words.

My Thoughts

In your family growing up, how well did your parents demonstrate their love for you? Did they say, "I love you" often? Were hugs and kisses freely given? Did they spend quality time with you? Play with you, pray with you or praise your accomplishments?

If you didn't grow up in an expressive or demonstrative family, it may be a challenge for you to express love--but certainly not impossible. You might just have to work a little harder. What are some things you could do this week to tell your kids or your spouse, "You mean the world to me"?

My Part

Pick one thing to do this week that will communicate love to someone in your family. Maybe it's been a while since you said the words, "I love you" to someone--and you just need to verbalize that. Maybe you've been busy and your kids could use some quality time with you--time that tells them, "You matter!" Pick one practical thing to do, and go do it. . .then do the same thing the next week. You may start to see a healthy pattern develop!

Additional Scripture: 1 John 3:11-20; Colossians 3:12-17

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2006, 10:58:49 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 4, 2006

Love One Another

If you watch TV and movies or listen to the songs on the radio today, it appears that love is purely a physical thing. Nobody really talks about things like commitment, sacrifice, encouragement or serving as acts of love. Certainly some aspects of love are physical and that is important, but love is much more than what we see in the media.

Let's look at what the Bible has to say about loving one another.

What Does God Say?

"We love each other as a result of his [God's] loving us first" (1 John 4:19, NLT).

"An open rebuke is better than hidden love!" (Proverbs 27:5, NLT).

"And here is how to measure it [love]--the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends" (John 15:13, NLT).

* Why are we told to love others? And why should it matter?
    * Why is open rebuke better than hidden love?
    * What is the greatest way of showing love?

My Thoughts

While you may not actually have to physically die for a friend, there are other ways that we can "lay down" our lives. When we die to our own desires and priorities, it could be said that we're laying down our life. Describe a time when you've made a significant sacrifice for a friend or family member because you loved them.

My Part

This week say, "I love you" to those around you (your spouse, children, parents, even friends) at least five times. Hug your spouse at least once a day. Write a letter to your spouse or close friend telling him/her what you love about them, and mail it to them. (Don't forget to send it.)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »

Daily Bible Study
With Woodrow Kroll

Date: Aug 7, 2006
Topic: Relationships

Love & Discipline

A car without brakes? That could cause a wreck! A car without an accelerator? That means you would never get anywhere!

Children are like cars; they need both love (like gas to go, it takes love to grow) and discipline (like brakes to stop, it takes discipline to learn right choices). Neither is optional. Nor is one more important than the other. Trying to prioritize love and discipline is like trying to choose what is most important on an airplane--the right wing or the left. To get off the ground and to fly safely, you need both, just as children need the benefits of both love and discipline.

God's Word helps us understand the balance that is so necessary in raising healthy, well-behaved and godly children.

What Does God Say?

"Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it" (Proverbs 22:6, NLT).

"A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but discipline will drive it away" (Proverbs 22:15, NLT).

"Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord " (Ephesians 6:4, NIV).

"You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 3:15, NLT).

How many of these verses are speaking in love? How many are speaking in discipline? How many are both?

My Thoughts

Read the verses above one more time, and list five things they teach you about love and discipline and how to balance them.

My Part

From what you have learned, write down three ways that you can love and discipline children in healthy and godly ways.

Now, pray and ask God to help you understand His love and discipline in your life, and then ask for His help in showing that same balance and care to others.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 130 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the