Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  All of us, who remember.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All of us, who remember.....  (Read 114293 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2006, 02:52:11 PM »

ahh thats young.. you not even close to be being old  Grin my mistake..I sorry! Kiss

hmm, im still ALOT younger heheheh  hmm like around 33 Grin
ROTF! I'm 15 years older then you......... Shocked

Anyah

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »

DreamWeaver said: I would flush the toilet on the bathroom.....

Wow! You had a bathroom to flush lol!
I remember the two hole out house. A sears roebuck catalog beside one of the holes Embarrassed

In the summer time we didn't get any shoes, that was for winter time only, and (school).
In the summer it was pig party time! In other words us younguns had to round up the older pigs, run them through a shoot to be loaded up on a truck to be sold.
It was messy but boy was it fun, we would feast on ice cold watermelon and didn't care how sticky our elbows got from it!
If we had grits for breakfast and there was some left over, you knew what was for snack, baked grits pudding! Don't ask me how to make that, I never got the recipe! I'm not sure if I'd want it.
If we were outside got a cut or a scrape we didn't run to Ma crying, we would fill the wound full of dirt and go on doing what we were doing.
We had one television station; CBS, and I ate more dirt than I care to remember.
We would catch junebugs tie strings around them and fly them till they died!
That was fun!
We had china berry wars with sling shots; OUCH!
We would play outside from daylight to just about dark. We would jump out of the loft of the barn on huge mounds of hay. We didn't care if it was used or not, we were having fun!

We also had to work!

Even the youngest of us had stuff to do. If it was to pick up the house they had to do it. We worked in the cotton fields too. We had vegetables like butterbeans, peas, squash, corn, tomatoes, and whatever else you can think of that had to be gotten in and prepared.
In the autumn it was time to run chichens, we would put them in the freezers for winter.
We never lacked for anything! And we never got sick, no had ear infections or any of the other ailments prevalent today with our grand kids. We were very healthy.

The good old days... Things were a lot less complicated, a lot more fun! You knew who your neighbors were and you could trust them.
Sunday after church we would go visiting! The front porch was the place to be if you were an adult.
If you were a kid, you'd best not be hanging around the adults, you'd better be in the yard playing but where they could watch you. It was great!
I wished it was like that again...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2006, 06:28:54 PM »

Hello Anyah,

Ah YES, the gold old days. Thanks, I really enjoyed your post.

I was just reflecting on the times and how they have changed. It's really pretty shocking to compare 50 years ago with today. I'll simply say that things were simple, clean, and moral 50 years ago. I would happily go back to those times.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 4:4-6 NASB  But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »

Hello Anyah, I can remember on my grandfathers farm (dairy,) milking cows, picking corn, strawberries (some how I never had much, when I got back, Grin )  I also remember the outhouse, outside of the barn. I also remember the poison ivy............ Shocked

His farm is also where I learned how to drive, at 9 years old. In a 1949 International stakebed truck, no brakes. I also drove the tractor, durning harvest, pulling the wagon, fo hay, alafa, and corn feed. Tongue

Yes things were simpler in the mid-sixtys.

Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2006, 11:29:06 PM »

When I was little my mom used to baby sit the neighbor's kids. I remember going down to the creek and catching frogs, turtles, snakes and fish.  We would come home and fill up the kiddy pool with the animals that we caught.  My mom would be mad but it was fun. Grin  I also would catch bugs and put them on a string, they were flying grasshoppers.  June bugs scared me.  They get in your hair and stuff. Yuck.  We had a field by my house and we made bicycle jumps, that was fun but is also how I broke my wrist. 

What about forts?  No one I think said anything about forts.  I remember one time we wanted to make a fort in this bush but there was a nest of hornets that lived in the ground.  It was my bright idea to make a soap water solution to pour into the hole.  We designated John to go and pour it on the bees.  He poured it down the hole and all the sudden a swarm of angry bees were chasing him.  Boy could that kid run fast!

Other things I remember growing up:

Wild strawberry picking

Neighborhood praides (we would all dress up and praide around the neighborhood waving an American flag) My mom has a picture of that some where.

Ice-skating on a near by pond.  Scott once pushed me down and I fell through the ice.  It was only knee high water. I went home freezing and wet. Sad

We also used to go one nature walks in the woods.  Thank goodness I never found poison ivy.

See?  I was born in 1985 and growing up we still knew how to have fun Smiley

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2006, 07:55:40 AM »

What sweet memories you all have!

And they gave me pause to be thankful that my kids are now being raised in the country where they, too, will have many of the same types of memories!

Cheesy

Well, with some modern additions like indoor plumbing and triple antibiotic creams.  Grin

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2006, 11:45:14 AM »

That actually happened in a city near us a few months back!  Cheesy
The city was MAD and my husband and I drove by and just laughed!  Cheesy
And we snickered every time the news reports tried to make it sound so terrible!  Cheesy

WAIT! Was that you, Pastor Roger?  Shocked
Grin Grin Grin

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »

another time a friend of mine and I was with our church group at an all night camp and there was a older guy there(well older then we were , we were teens he was in 40s at that time) and he was always bouncing at her and I for one thing or another.. so that night we snuck out and put his car in nutruel and pushed it to the opposite side of the huge yard, he um spent quite some time looking for it the next mornin,, man was he M_A_D when he discovered who and how that had happened

Heeheehee... Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2006, 11:55:42 AM »

That actually happened in a city near us a few months back!  Cheesy
The city was MAD and my husband and I drove by and just laughed!  Cheesy
And we snickered every time the news reports tried to make it sound so terrible!  Cheesy

WAIT! Was that you, Pastor Roger?  Shocked

Not me. It must have been DreamWeaver.   Grin Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2006, 11:58:46 AM »

What about forts?  No one I think said anything about forts.  I remember one time we wanted to make a fort in this bush but there was a nest of hornets that lived in the ground.  It was my bright idea to make a soap water solution to pour into the hole.  We designated John to go and pour it on the bees.  He poured it down the hole and all the sudden a swarm of angry bees were chasing him.  Boy could that kid run fast!
I bet he ran fast, LOL! My grandparents lived in the Appalachian country, and we moved there to take care of grandma. It was great, woods and creeks and hilly fields. My sister and I made forts with branches and rocks, with moss for carpets, as well as bridges and paths...

Other things I remember growing up:

Wild strawberry picking

wild blackberries and raspberries, for me!

See?  I was born in 1985 and growing up we still knew how to have fun Smiley
Hey! I'm finally OLDER than someone on this thread!!  Cool

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2006, 12:04:06 PM »

hey i remember we used to have a crap apple tree orchid behind the house.

A what?
so we used to get two teams together and have crap apple fights
You did what??
well the crap appples were really sour and there were tons of them
Oh, dear!  Shocked

(My mom won't let me say 'crap', I can only say 'poop' or 'dirty'.)

Kiss Just kidding, I know you meant crab apples.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2006, 12:04:41 PM »

Your older brother is in a steaming, hot shower getting ready for his Saturday night date. Little brother sneaks in with a 5 gallon bucket full of ice water, stands on a stool, and dumps the entire 5 gallon bucket over the shower curtain. OH! - I forgot - AND THEN RUNS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE HOUSE AND DOWN THE BLOCK!
HAHAHA... Grin

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 12:05:23 PM »

Thats about the worst thing I did, when I was young. Except putting 55 gallons of concentrated  liquid soap in the City Hall fountain, back in 1975. Grin

Cheesy Grin

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

This is to all of us who are old enough to remember and to the youngsters who didn't get to live and enjoy the good old days !

Congratulations--From me to you

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. 

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.  We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.  We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a water bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and NO ONE  actually died from this. Grin  We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.   No one was able to reach us all day.  And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.  We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS . . . we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.  We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids. That is before the government regulated our lives for our own good. Cry

How did I miss this thread?
DW I agree with everything you said, but you forgot to mention that if we got caught doing something wrong even if it was just a neighbor, the neighbor would grab us by the ear and take us straight home to mom, mom would spank, and then tell dad and he would spank too. It never killed us.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 12:26:50 PM »

You know you're showing your age when you can answer this one .....   Wink Grin

We had an old crab apple tree. I would have been killed for using the apples that way. My parents didn't believe in waste and used everything for some useful purpose.

I don't mind showing my age, it just means that I have survived longer.

the answer is Pepsodent.
NOw who remembers choo-choo Charlie?

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the