Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:24:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  All of us, who remember.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All of us, who remember.....  (Read 114649 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2006, 05:26:15 AM »

This is to all of us who are old enough to remember and to the youngsters who didn't get to live and enjoy the good old days !

Congratulations--From me to you

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. 

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.  We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.  We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a water bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and NO ONE  actually died from this. Grin  We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING! We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.   No one was able to reach us all day.  And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.  We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS . . . we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out any eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.  We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids. That is before the government regulated our lives for our own good. Cry

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »

Hello Dreamweaver,

Brother, I only want to know one thing:

Do you have your forum posting helmet, goggles, and gloves on?

Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:06:10 PM »

Hello Dreamweaver,

Brother, I only want to know one thing:

Do you have your forum posting helmet, goggles, and gloves on?

Grin
You better believe it brother!!! Grin Grin Grin

tiger_lily33

Only what We Do For Christ Will Last Forever

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »

that was great Dw...life was ALOT different for me then it is for my kids today!,the power goes out and there  no TV of PS2 and they think their lives have come to a holt LOL..

Good one DW..
Tigerlily Wink

Stop telling God how big your storm is, instead, start telling your storm how big your God is!
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »

that was great Dw...life was ALOT different for me then it is for my kids today!,the power goes out and there  no TV of PS2 and they think their lives have come to a holt LOL..

Good one DW..
Tigerlily Wink
Thank you tigerlily I don't think the kids here, like it though. Grin

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 12:50:59 AM »

Does anyone remember your parents getting a couple of loads of topsoil for the lawn when you were a kid?

Keep in mind that this was just a pile of plain old dirt. This was like an invitation for every kid in the neighborhood. How many things could a bunch of kids do with a pile of dirt and how long did it take? I'll give you a few ideas and see if you remember:

King of the mountain.
Roads up the mountain.
Forts with plastic soldiers.
Caves.
Streams and rivers.
Bridges and other structures from Popsicle sticks.
Wet mud molded structures.
Last but not least - mud-ball fights.

Grin

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »

Does anyone remember your parents getting a couple of loads of topsoil for the lawn when you were a kid?

Keep in mind that this was just a pile of plain old dirt. This was like an invitation for every kid in the neighborhood. How many things could a bunch of kids do with a pile of dirt and how long did it take? I'll give you a few ideas and see if you remember:

King of the mountain.
Roads up the mountain.
Caves.
Streams and rivers.
Last but not least - mud-ball fights.

Grin

Oh yeah! I loved it when it was dumped! And I hated when they took that wonderful hill and spread it out to grow grass!
You could make the coolest roadways for Matchbox cars!

tiger_lily33

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »

ROFl... ok like minded here SH... matchbox cars,, they were my all time favorite toy when i was young,, and LOVED making roads and toens and all hehe.. my poor mom would buy me barbies and all but guess i took after my big bro and rathered the cars!

I loved king of the castle and all that, see, here, in the freezing cold winters of Canada.. we looked forward to the HUGE snow "mountains" from when the driveways were plowed to play aot of them games with snow instead of mud (mud was fun to tho hehe), alot of my memories of that kind of thing are about going down over huge hills of snow on our crazy carpets and of course almost always going off course and landing head first into the snow of the little side cliffs!!wearing myself totally out trying to get back up that hill so that i could fly down it once again!ahh the memories  Wink Grin
TL

Stop telling God how big your storm is, instead, start telling your storm how big your God is!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 10:21:57 AM »

Yeah they would spread the soil out and grow grass. The fun was gone and the work began with a motorless push mower.

We had a city lot across the street though that still had dirt piles year round. Snow piles in the winter even when there wasn't much snow it was fun sliding on the snow covered dirt piles.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 03:10:54 AM »

I see that nobody else mentioned mud-ball fights, so maybe you were too intellectual for that.  Grin

YES, I remember the old manual mowers. I also remember asking dad to let me try it and him telling me that I was too little. What I didn't know is that I would be guaranteed a chance to use it often when I did get big enough.  Grin

OK - here's a few more to remember:

Tether-ball
Tops
Duncan Yo-Yo

Snap, crackle, and pop.............Which cereal?

You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with...............?

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »

King of the mountain.
Roads up the mountain.
Mud-ball fights.

These are the ones, I remember. Grin  Shocked
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 10:55:58 PM by DreamWeaver » Logged

tiger_lily33

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 09:08:11 AM »

Snap, crackle, and pop.............Which cereal?

You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with...............?

snap crackle pop,,, RICE KRISPIES heheh

hmm the only yellow thing i remember was the mellow yellow commercial and i think it was for butter lol...

hey i remember we used to have a crap apple tree orchid behind the house. so we used to get two teams together and have crap apple fights,, sheeesh when you got shot with one you felt it for several days lol, i was always coming outta it with a few bruises..,

ok another... we used to have an old car that my dad junked and we used to play driving in!!

used to jump off of the garage and patio(2nd story one) into the snow...see who cold jump the furtherest lol..
No wonder im in the physical shape im in hehe..

hmm have to think up some more..
Tigerlily Cheesy

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 09:18:03 AM »

You know you're showing your age when you can answer this one .....   Wink Grin

hey i remember we used to have a crap apple tree orchid behind the house. so we used to get two teams together and have crap apple fights,, sheeesh when you got shot with one you felt it for several days lol, i was always coming outta it with a few bruises..,

We had an old crab apple tree. I would have been killed for using the apples that way. My parents didn't believe in waste and used everything for some useful purpose.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
tiger_lily33

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 09:52:13 AM »

well the crap appples were really sour and there were tons of them,,, more then parents could ever use.. LOl..
we would get in alot of trouble for pummeling each other with hard apples.. but then wheres the fun if its allowed LOL

TL

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 10:01:53 AM »

Yeah our crab apples were real sour, too. The only thing I got to do with them was to collect them and help can them into candied apple rings and candied apple bits. What we didn't put up in the basement  would then get sold. Now there were some laying on the ground that had rotted too much to use. I do remember throwing one of them at my older brother. I think that was when I learned how to run really fast.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 44 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the