Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Reading The Psalms Daily
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading The Psalms Daily  (Read 50364 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:34:06 AM »

Brothers & Sisters, The Psalms are so uplifting. Full of Praises to God, prayers, advise, and some even prophecy.
We can learn so much from this Book.
                Blessings For The Godly

Ps 1:1 ¶ Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Ps 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Ps 1:4 ¶ The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Ps 1:5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

Ps 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 08:01:59 AM »

Amen Sister Maria!

You are SO RIGHT! I love the Psalms and I do read something from Psalms every day. Here's a little secret about the Psalms that you probably already know about - they contain Bible Prophecy and serve as references for many areas of Bible Prophecy. So they are more than just beautiful, strengthening, and uplifting.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 116:12-13 NASB  What shall I render to the LORD For all His benefits toward me?  I shall lift up the cup of salvation And call upon the name of the LORD.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 08:50:14 AM »

Amen brother, indeed they do.  Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 08:00:38 AM »

Ps 2:1 ¶ Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
Ps 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,Ps 2:3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
Ps 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Ps 2:5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
Ps 2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
Ps 2:7 ¶ I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee
Ps 2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.Ps 2:9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
Ps 2:10 ¶ Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.Ps 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
Ps 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.
Brothers and Sisters in Christ, this the 2nd Psalm contains prophecy we are seeing right now here in our own country, read again verses 2-3. BUT God!!! Hallelujah laughs at them, go back this time to verses 4-5. And HE lets them know Who His King is in verse 6. In verses 7-8 we see what will happen to the kings of the earth, God Himself is talking to His Son, and He has been given authority, verse 9. And finally verses 10-12 God in His loving mercy gives notice to all on how to avoid the coming judgement. And finally He reminds us that He blesses those that have put their trust in Him (last part of verse 12). I have learned so much from this Psalm, I can see the things mentioned in it happening all around me today. Not one word in the Bible has been written in vain, God has been and still is watching over His Word to perform it. The world has been given notice.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 05:09:16 AM »

Psalm 3
Ps 1:1 LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.

Ps 3:2 Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.

Ps 3:3 But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

Ps 3:4 ¶ I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.

Ps 3:5 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me.

Ps 3:6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.

Ps 3:7 Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.

Ps 3:8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

This Psalm was written by David when he fled from his son Absalom, but how does it relate to us today?
In my own personal opinion, I would say that:
Verse 1, refers to my enemies, (problems, troubles, evils, disasters, the enemy and his evil spirits).
Verse 2, they even try to make me think that God won't hear my prayers, try to make me doubt, worry, try to make me think I deserve to be going through problems, all kinds of lies that the enemy throws at us.
BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL!!Verse 3, He is a shield, my glory, the lifter of my head!!
Verse 4, I give my problems to God, He does hear me!!
Verse 5, He give me peace, I am able to sleep!!
Verse 6, He gives me power, I am not afraid!!
Verse 7, He has smitten my enemies!!!
Verse 8, God has saved me, He blesses His people!!
Thank You Father, for choosing me. Hallelujah!!!!!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:55:22 PM »

David was a man of prayer, he turned to God for everything in his life, he did not try to hide from God when he sinned instead he turned towards God. I personally have learned a lot from David, even though he did a lot of things that were wrong an he sinned, yet he always ran to The Father.
God called him a man after 'His own heart'
This is an evening prayer.

Ps 4:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician on Neginoth, A Psalm of David.>> Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
Ps 4:2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.

Ps 4:3 But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

Ps 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

Ps 4:5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

Ps 4:6 ¶ There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.

Ps 4:7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.

Ps 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 05:06:52 PM »

Amen AirIam2worship!!

Sister Maria, thank you for these beautiful messages from Psalms. They are something to look forward to, and I know that many will receive a blessing from them. I know that I receive a blessing from them, and I really appreciate you sharing with us.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 18:28 NASB  For You light my lamp; The LORD my God illumines my darkness.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 05:19:29 PM »

Amen AirIam2worship!!

Sister Maria, thank you for these beautiful messages from Psalms. They are something to look forward to, and I know that many will receive a blessing from them. I know that I receive a blessing from them, and I really appreciate you sharing with us.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Psalms 18:28 NASB  For You light my lamp; The LORD my God illumines my darkness.

Brother, my prayer is that some of our visitors will become acquainted with the Psalms. Many people only know a few Psalms and are missing out on many, many blessings. I pray that some will be blessed by these postings, I know I am. I am blessed when I read them, when I do a little meditating on them and research on them and whn I post them.  Smiley

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 09:42:25 AM »

Psalm 5: A morning prayer, a prayer for protection.
Ps 5:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician upon Nehiloth, A Psalm of David.>> Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my meditation. Ps 5:2 Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. Ps 5:3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up. Ps 5:4 For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee. Ps 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. Ps 5:6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. Ps 5:7 ¶ But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple. Ps 5:8 Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face. Ps 5:9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue. Ps 5:10 Destroy thou them, O God; let them fall by their own counsels; cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions; for they have rebelled against thee. Ps 5:11 But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. Ps 5:12 For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

Psalm 4 as we recall is an evening prayer, in contrast to Psalm 5 which is a morning prayer. We don't know the chronological order of the psalms, but I can gather from this that David prayed at night, and in the morning, he prayed all during the day as we will see as we look into the rest of the Psalms. He prayed for protection, victory, forgivness, and many other things, David was not much different than we are today. But one thing to take notice of in this Psalm is; David calls God "My King, My God" David himself was a king, but he still humbled himself to the KING of Kings. I also want to point out that in the first verse David is asking God to 'hear' "give ear to" his words, these were spoken words he had directed towards God, he also asks God to consider his 'meditation', (unspoken words, thoughts). I believe there are two types of prayer being refered to by David here, the prayer he expressed in words, and the unuttered longings or meditation. He is asking God to consider those meditations, he is petitioning God, and he is expecting from God. Today let us learn from this Psalm that just praying alone is not enough, but having the spirit of prayer, cultivating that spirit of prayer, is where the true prayer lies. Anyone can rumble a few words now and then towards God and hope He hears them. But true prayer is having a real relationship with God, having the right attitude, having the spirit of prayer, and really opening up to God in expectation, fear, and trust. God wants us to develop the kind of relationship with Him that will develop into a Father - child relationship. We should all learn to meditate on God's Word, to have that special walk with God, where we can ask Him to 'consider' our requests, and then trust Him to do just that and answer our requests or petitions in His way, and be absolutely certain that His way is the best way, surrendering all to Him, so He can surrender our desires, and petitions to us.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 11:42:21 AM »

PSALM 6
Ps 6:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician on Neginoth upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David.>> O LORD, rebuke me not in thine anger, neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. Ps 6:2 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; for I am weak: O LORD, heal me; for my bones are vexed. Ps 6:3 My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long? Ps 6:4 Return, O LORD, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. Ps 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks? Ps 6:6 I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. Ps 6:7 Mine eye is consumed because of grief; it waxeth old because of all mine enemies. Ps 6:8 ¶ Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity; for the LORD hath heard the voice of my weeping. Ps 6:9 The LORD hath heard my supplication; the LORD will receive my prayer. Ps 6:10 Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly.

This Ps. is the first of the Penitential Psalms, (the other 6 are ps 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, 143) it expresses at once the deep sorrow, humiliation and the hatred of sin. David knew that he had displeased God. David is very conscious that he deserves to be rebuked, and he feels, moreover, that the rebuke in some form or other must come upon him, if not for condemnation, yet for conviction and sanctification.  He does not ask that the rebuke may be totally withheld, for he might thus lose a blessing in disguise; but, "Lord, rebuke me not in thine anger." If you remind me of my sin, it is good; but, oh, remind me not of it as one incensed against me, lest thy servant's heart should sink in despair.  (Thus saith Jeremiah, "O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing.") I know that I must be chastened, and though I shrink from the rod yet do I feel that it will be for my benefit; but, oh, my God,
It is easy to see here that David is sorrowful, he know he will be chastiesed, yet he has absolute confidence in God that He will be merciful towards him, and that God will lead him to victory.
We have a lot to learn, every day we should approach God with a repentant heart for the sins we commit, even though they may not seem like sin to us God is Holy and in His eyes sin is sin. He is also a merciful, loving, forgiving God. He understands us, if He was not merciful towards us who would be able to stand?

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 09:13:09 AM »

PSALM 7
Ps 7:1 ¶ <<Shiggaion of David, which he sang unto the LORD, concerning the words of Cush the Benjamite.>> O LORD my God, in thee do I put my trust: save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me. Ps 7:2 Lest he tear my soul like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver. Ps 7:3 O LORD my God, if I have done this; if there be iniquity in my hands; Ps 7:4 If I have rewarded evil unto him that was at peace with me; (yea, I have delivered him that without cause is mine enemy:) Ps 7:5 Let the enemy persecute my soul, and take it; yea, let him tread down my life upon the earth, and lay mine honour in the dust. Selah. Ps 7:6 Arise, O LORD, in thine anger, lift up thyself because of the rage of mine enemies: and awake for me to the judgment that thou hast commanded. Ps 7:7 So shall the congregation of the people compass thee about: for their sakes therefore return thou on high. Ps 7:8 The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me. Ps 7:9 Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins. Ps 7:10 ¶ My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart. Ps 7:11 God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. Ps 7:12 If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he hath bent his bow, and made it ready. Ps 7:13 He hath also prepared for him the instruments of death; he ordaineth his arrows against the persecutors. Ps 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. Ps 7:15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. Ps 7:16 His mischief shall return upon his own head, and his violent dealing shall come down upon his own pate. Ps 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.

Ver. 1. David appears before God to plead with him against the Accuser, who had charged him with treason and treachery.  The case is here opened with an avowal of confidence in God.  Whatever may be the emergency of our condition we shall never find it amiss to retain our reliance upon our God. (We all have an enemy to contend with everyday, he is God's enemy, satan)
  Ver. 2. Lest he tear my soul. Here is the plea of fear co-working with the plea of faith.  There was one among David's foes mightier that the rest, who had both dignity, strength, and ferocity, and was, therefore, like a lion. From this foe he urgently seeks deliverance.  Perhaps this was Saul, his royal enemy; but in our own case there is one who goes about like a lion, seeking whom he may devour, concerning whom we should ever cry, "Deliver us from the Evil One."  As we continue to read this Psalm we will find out that David promises he will praise Almighty God, whom he is certain will see him vindicated. Let's go back to verses 3-5 for a moment and reflect on them; here David is willing to have God punish him, if he has done wrong. What gave David such confidence? What does this show us about David and his relationship with God? WE TOO CAN HAVE THIS KIND OF RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.
May God bless you richly as you continue to study His Word.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 10:05:57 AM »

Psalm 8
Ps 8:1 To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David. O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. Ps 8:2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. Ps 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; Ps 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? Ps 8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Ps 8:6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: Ps 8:7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; Ps 8:8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. Ps 8:9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

This Psalm can be one that would lead to very deep Bible study, verse 5 alone would be a topic of very deep research and study, things that may be also considered when studying this beautiful psalm may be how it relates to Adam and his Fall, the present, some prophecy concerning our Lord Jesus Christ, we may consider looking at other Scripture;  Mt 21:16; 1Co 15:27;  Heb 2:1-18, Heb 2:6-7, Heb 2:5,  these are just a few of the Scriptures that may be cosidered, there are many more in regards to this Psalm. But for now I just want to look at this Psalm from the Wonders of God, how He cares for us, how He has given us dominion over the 'the works of His hands', how much love He has for us.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 10:32:16 AM »

Sister Maria, this is indeed a beautiful study. There are many that only think of the Psalms as a grouping of songs and nothing more. I am glad that you are pointing out the many different aspects and importance of this book of the Bible. I have studied this book many times but I enjoy doing so again and again. There is so much to learn from it.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 11:31:32 AM »

Sister Maria,

Please let me add another AMEN! and tell you that I am really enjoying this study. YES, the Psalms are much more than incredibly beautiful portions of Scripture. If one follows the references and comparisons in a study of Psalms, they take you all over the Holy Bible. In fact, they contain many precious truths that are related to both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Thank you again. This is something I look forward to.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 121:7 NASB  The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 05:39:53 PM »

Add another AMEN sister Maria! Psalms is a beautiful portion of the Scripture!

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Psalm 48:2   Fair and beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth-- Mount Zion [the City of David], to the northern side [Mount Moriah and the temple], the [whole] city of the Great King!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the