Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Reading The Psalms Daily
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading The Psalms Daily  (Read 50331 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 14, 2006, 08:21:17 AM »

MHCC

David extols the power, goodness, and mercy of the Lord. (1-9)

1-9 Those who, under troubles and temptations, abound in fervent prayer, shall in due season abound in grateful praise, which is the true language of holy joy. Especially we should speak of God's wondrous work of redemption, while we declare his greatness. For no deliverance of the Israelites, nor the punishment of sinners, so clearly proclaims the justice of God, as the cross of Christ exhibits it to the enlightened mind. It may be truly said of our Lord Jesus Christ, that his words are words of goodness and grace; his works are works of goodness and grace. He is full of compassion; hence he came into the world to save sinners. When on earth, he showed his compassion both to the bodies and souls of men, by healing the one, and making wise the other. He is of great mercy, a merciful High Priest, through whom God is merciful to sinners.

The glory of God's kingdom, and his care of those that love him. (10-21)

10-21 All God's works show forth his praises. He satisfies the desire of every living thing, except the unreasonable children of men, who are satisfied with nothing. He does good to all the children of men; his own people in a special manner. Many children of God, who have been ready to fall into sin, to fall into despair, have tasted his goodness in preventing their falls, or recovering them speedily by his graces and comforts. And with respect to all that are heavy laden under the burden of sin, if they come to Christ by faith, he will ease them, he will raise them. He is very ready to hear and answer the prayers of his people. He is present every where; but in a special way he is nigh to them, as he is not to others. He is in their hearts, and dwells there by faith, and they dwell in him. He is nigh to those that call upon him, to help them in all times of need. He will be nigh to them, that they may have what they ask, and find what they seek, if they call upon him in truth and sincerity. And having taught men to love his name and holy ways, he will save them from the destruction of the wicked. May we then love his name, and walk in his ways, while we desire that all flesh should bless his holy name for ever and ever.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 15, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »

Ps 146:1 ¶ Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD, O my soul!

Ps 146:2 While I live I will praise the LORD; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.

Ps 146:3 Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help.

Ps 146:4 His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish.

Ps 146:5 ¶ Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the LORD his God,

Ps 146:6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever,

Ps 146:7 Who executes justice for the oppressed, Who gives food to the hungry. The LORD gives freedom to the prisoners.

Ps 146:8 The LORD opens the eyes of the blind; The LORD raises those who are bowed down; The LORD loves the righteous.

Ps 146:9 The LORD watches over the strangers; He relieves the fatherless and widow; But the way of the wicked He turns upside down.

Ps 146:10 The LORD shall reign forever-Your God, O Zion, to all generations. Praise the LORD!

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 15, 2006, 09:31:11 AM »

MHCC

Why we should not trust in men. (1-4)

1-4 If it is our delight to praise the Lord while we live, we shall certainly praise him to all eternity. With this glorious prospect before us, how low do worldly pursuits seem! There is a Son of man in whom there is help, even him who is also the Son of God, who will not fail those that trust in him. But all other sons of men are like the man from whom they sprung, who, being in honour, did not abide. God has given the earth to the children of men, but there is great striving about it. Yet, after a while, no part of the earth will be their own, except that in which their dead bodies are laid. And when man returns to his earth, in that very day all his plans and designs vanish and are gone: what then comes of expectations from him?

Why we should trust in God. (5-10)

5-10 The psalmist encourages us to put confidence in God. We must hope in the providence of God for all we need as to this life, and in the grace of God for that which is to come. The God of heaven became a man that he might become our salvation. Though he died on the cross for our sins, and was laid in the grave, yet his thoughts of love to us did not perish; he rose again to fulfil them. When on earth, his miracles were examples of what he is still doing every day. He grants deliverance to captives bound in the chains of sin and Satan. He opens the eyes of the understanding. He feeds with the bread of life those who hunger for salvation; and he is the constant Friend of the poor in spirit, the helpless: with him poor sinners, that are as fatherless, find mercy; and his kingdom shall continue for ever. Then let sinners flee to him, and believers rejoice in him. And as the Lord shall reign for ever, let us stir up each other to praise his holy name.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2006, 05:47:05 PM »

Ps 147:1 ¶ Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; For it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful.

Ps 147:2 The LORD builds up Jerusalem; He gathers together the outcasts of Israel.

Ps 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds.

Ps 147:4 He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name.

Ps 147:5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.

Ps 147:6 The LORD lifts up the humble; He casts the wicked down to the ground.

Ps 147:7 Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; Sing praises on the harp to our God,

Ps 147:8 Who covers the heavens with clouds, Who prepares rain for the earth, Who makes grass to grow on the mountains.

Ps 147:9 He gives to the beast its food, And to the young ravens that cry.

Ps 147:10 He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man.

Ps 147:11 The LORD takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy.

Ps 147:12 ¶ Praise the LORD, O Jerusalem! Praise your God, O Zion!

Ps 147:13 For He has strengthened the bars of your gates; He has blessed your children within you.

Ps 147:14 He makes peace in your borders, And fills you with the finest wheat.

Ps 147:15 He sends out His command to the earth; His word runs very swiftly.

Ps 147:16 He gives snow like wool; He scatters the frost like ashes;

Ps 147:17 He casts out His hail like morsels; Who can stand before His cold?

Ps 147:18 He sends out His word and melts them; He causes His wind to blow, and the waters flow.

Ps 147:19 He declares His word to Jacob, His statutes and His judgments to Israel.

Ps 147:20 He has not dealt thus with any nation; And as for His judgments, they have not known them. Praise the LORD!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 16, 2006, 05:52:52 PM »

MHCC

The people of God are exhorted to praise him for his mercies and care. (1-11)

1-11 Praising God is work that is its own wages. It is comely; it becomes us as reasonable creatures, much more as people in covenant with God. He gathers outcast sinners by his grace, and will bring them into his holy habitation. To those whom God heals with the consolations of his Spirit, he speaks peace, assures them their sins are pardoned. And for this, let others praise him also. Man's knowledge is soon ended; but God's knowledge is a depth that can never be fathomed. And while he telleth the number of the stars, he condescends to hear the broken-hearted sinner. While he feeds the young ravens, he will not leave his praying people destitute. Clouds look dull and melancholy, yet without them we could have no rain, therefore no fruit. Thus afflictions look black and unpleasant; but from clouds of affliction come showers that make the soul to yield the peaceable fruits of righteousness. The psalmist delights not in things wherein sinners trust and glory; but a serious and suitable regard to God is, in his sight, of very great price. We are not to be in doubt between hope and fear, but to act under the gracious influences of hope and fear united.

For the salvation and prosperity of the church. (12-20)

12-20 The church, like Jerusalem of old, built up and preserved by the wisdom, power, and goodness of God, is exhorted to praise him for all the benefits and blessings vouchsafed to her; and these are represented by his favours in the course of nature. The thawing word may represent the gospel of Christ, and the thawing wind the Spirit of Christ; for the Spirit is compared to the wind, Joh 3:8. Converting grace softens the heart that was hard frozen, and melts it into tears of repentance, and makes good reflections to flow, which before were chilled and stopped up. The change which the thaw makes is very evident, yet how it is done no one can say. Such is the change wrought in the conversion of a soul, when God's word and Spirit are sent to melt it and restore it to itself.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2006, 03:48:47 PM »

Ps 148:1 ¶ Praise the LORD! Praise the LORD from the heavens; Praise Him in the heights!

Ps 148:2 Praise Him, all His angels; Praise Him, all His hosts!

Ps 148:3 Praise Him, sun and moon; Praise Him, all you stars of light!

Ps 148:4 Praise Him, you heavens of heavens, And you waters above the heavens!

Ps 148:5 Let them praise the name of the LORD, For He commanded and they were created.

Ps 148:6 He also established them forever and ever; He made a decree which shall not pass away.

Ps 148:7 ¶ Praise the LORD from the earth, You great sea creatures and all the depths;

Ps 148:8 Fire and hail, snow and clouds; Stormy wind, fulfilling His word;

Ps 148:9 Mountains and all hills; Fruitful trees and all cedars;

Ps 148:10 Beasts and all cattle; Creeping things and flying fowl;

Ps 148:11 Kings of the earth and all peoples; Princes and all judges of the earth;

Ps 148:12 Both young men and maidens; Old men and children.

Ps 148:13 Let them praise the name of the LORD, For His name alone is exalted; His glory is above the earth and heaven.

Ps 148:14 And He has exalted the horn of His people, The praise of all His saints-Of the children of Israel, A people near to Him. Praise the LORD!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »

MHCC

The creatures placed in the upper world called on to praise the Lord. (1-6)

1-6 We, in this dark and sinful world, know little of the heavenly world of light. But we know that there is above us a world of blessed angels. They are always praising God, therefore the psalmist shows his desire that God may be praised in the best manner; also we show that we have communion with spirits above, who are still praising him. The heavens, with all contained in them, declare the glory of God. They call on us, that both by word and deed, we glorify with them the Creator and Redeemer of the universe.

Also the creatures of this lower world, especially his own people. (7-14)

7-14 Even in this world, dark and bad as it is, God is praised. The powers of nature, be they ever so strong, so stormy, do what God appoints them, and no more. Those that rebel against God's word, show themselves to be more violent than even the stormy winds, yet they fulfil it. View the surface of the earth, mountains and all hills; from the barren tops of some, and the fruitful tops of others, we may fetch matter for praise. And assuredly creatures which have the powers of reason, ought to employ themselves in praising God. Let all manner of persons praise God. Those of every rank, high and low. Let us show that we are his saints by praising his name continually. He is not only our Creator, but our Redeemer; who made us a people near unto him. We may by "the Horn of his people" understand Christ, whom God has exalted to be a Prince and a Saviour, who is indeed the defence and the praise of all his saints, and will be so for ever. In redemption, that unspeakable glory is displayed, which forms the source of all our hopes and joys. May the Lord pardon us, and teach our hearts to love him more and praise him better.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2006, 07:27:20 PM »

Ps 149:1 ¶ Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, And His praise in the assembly of saints.

Ps 149:2 Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; Let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.

Ps 149:3 Let them praise His name with the dance; Let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp.

Ps 149:4 For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation.

Ps 149:5 Let the saints be joyful in glory; Let them sing aloud on their beds.

Ps 149:6 ¶ Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, And a two-edged sword in their hand,

Ps 149:7 To execute vengeance on the nations, And punishments on the peoples;

Ps 149:8 To bind their kings with chains, And their nobles with fetters of iron;

Ps 149:9 To execute on them the written judgment-This honor have all His saints. Praise the LORD!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2006, 07:47:01 AM »

Ps 150:1 ¶ Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty firmament!

Ps 150:2 Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!

Ps 150:3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise Him with the lute and harp!

Ps 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!

Ps 150:5 Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Ps 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2006, 07:48:20 AM »

MHCC

A psalm of praise.

- We are here stirred up to praise God. Praise God for his sanctuary, and the privileges we enjoy by having it among us; praise him because of his power and glory in the firmament. Those who praise the Lord in heaven, behold displays of his power and glory which we cannot now conceive. But the greatest of all his mighty acts is known in his earthly sanctuary. The holiness and the love of our God are more displayed in man's redemption, than in all his other works. Let us praise our God and Saviour for it. We need not care to know what instruments of music are mentioned. Hereby is meant that in serving God we should spare no cost or pains. Praise God with strong faith; praise him with holy love and delight; praise him with entire confidence in Christ; praise him with believing triumph over the powers of darkness; praise him by universal respect to all his commands; praise him by cheerful submission to all his disposals; praise him by rejoicing in his love, and comforting ourselves in his goodness; praise him by promoting the interests of the kingdom of his grace; praise him by lively hope and expectation of the kingdom of his glory. Since we must shortly breathe our last, while we have breath let us praise the Lord; then we shall breathe our last with comfort. Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord. Such is the very suitable end of a book inspired by the Spirit of God, written for the work of praise; a book which has supplied the songs of the church for more than three thousand years; a book which is quoted more frequently than any other by Christ and his apostles; a book which presents the loftiest ideas of God and his government, which is fitted to every state of human life, which sets forth every state of religious experience, and which bears simple and clear marks of its Divine origin.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2006, 07:53:23 AM »

Friends we have completed the Book of Psalms, it is my earnest prayer that these posts were a blessing to all who read them.

But we don't have to stop there, Psalms are a beautiful collection of prayers, praise, worship, and refuge. I sincerely pray that you will continue to study the Book of Psalms closer. And that this study was enough to whet your appetite and help you to better understand God's love and concern for His people.

Love in Christ,
Maria

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the