Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:27:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Reading The Psalms Daily
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading The Psalms Daily  (Read 50157 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »

Sister Maria, this is indeed a beautiful study. There are many that only think of the Psalms as a grouping of songs and nothing more. I am glad that you are pointing out the many different aspects and importance of this book of the Bible. I have studied this book many times but I enjoy doing so again and again. There is so much to learn from it.

Sister Maria,

Please let me add another AMEN! and tell you that I am really enjoying this study. YES, the Psalms are much more than incredibly beautiful portions of Scripture. If one follows the references and comparisons in a study of Psalms, they take you all over the Holy Bible. In fact, they contain many precious truths that are related to both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Thank you again. This is something I look forward to.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Re:Reading The Psalms Daily
« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:39:53 »    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add another AMEN sister Maria! Psalms is a beautiful portion of the Scripture!

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Psalm 48:2  Fair and beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth-- Mount Zion [the City of David], to the northern side [Mount Moriah and the temple], the [whole] city of the Great King!

Thank you PR, BEP, & DW for your encouragement, I am very happy to hear that you are not only enjoying reading these short looks into the Book of Psalms, but you also are giving me moral support. Some Psalms are so deep, that it is impossible to really post everything there is to learn from them, so I try to keep it simple and pray that someone will get some inspiration, answer to prayer, understanding, or wisdom, by reading these posts. And that they will be encouraged and their hunger be whet just enough for them to want to look into God's Word a little more.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 06:17:02 AM »

HALLELUJAH TO THE KING OF KINGS
Thank God for a brand new year I pray that all of you will be richly blessed in the year 2006. May the Lord guide you and lead you, may His face shine upon you, may you be blessed coming in and going out, may you find favor with God and men.
I thank God for leading me to this forum, where I have made many new friends and met many brothers and sisters, that I would not have met until we all got to heaven if it hadn't been for this forum.
May everyone have a blessed new year, and my your walk with God get closer and stronger.
your sister in Christ,
Maria.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 07:21:53 AM »

Psalm 9
Ps 9:1 To the chief Musician upon Muthlabben, A Psalm of David. I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. Ps 9:2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High. Ps 9:3 When mine enemies are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence. Ps 9:4 For thou hast maintained my right and my cause; thou satest in the throne judging right. Ps 9:5 Thou hast rebuked the heathen, thou hast destroyed the wicked, thou hast put out their name for ever and ever. Ps 9:6 O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them. Ps 9:7 But the LORD shall endure for ever: he hath prepared his throne for judgment. Ps 9:8 And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness. Ps 9:9 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Ps 9:10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee. Ps 9:11 ¶ Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people his doings. Ps 9:12 When he maketh inquisition for blood, he remembereth them: he forgetteth not the cry of the humble. Ps 9:13 Have mercy upon me, O LORD; consider my trouble which I suffer of them that hate me, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death: Ps 9:14 That I may shew forth all thy praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in thy salvation. Ps 9:15 The heathen are sunk down in the pit that they made: in the net which they hid is their own foot taken. Ps 9:16 The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah Ps 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. Ps 9:18 For the needy shall not alway be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. Ps 9:19 Arise, O LORD; let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged in thy sight. Ps 9:20 Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah
As I did a little further research after commenting on my post for 12-28 concerning Psalms 4 & 5, I  looked into The Treasury Of David (Reference Book) and I found something interesting regarding the chronology of the book of Psalms:
  ORDER. Bonar remarks, "The position of the Psalms in their relation to each other is often remarkable."  It is questioned whether the present arrangement of them was the order to which they were given forth to Israel, or whether some later compiler, perhaps Ezra, was inspired to attend to this matter, as well as to other points connected with the canon.  Without attempting to decide this point, it is enough to remark that we have proof that the order of the Psalms is as ancient as the completing of the canon, and if so, it seems obvious that the Holy Spirit wished this book to come down to us in its present order. We make these remarks, in order to invite attention to the fact, that as the eighth caught up the last line of the seventh, this ninth Psalm opens with an apparent reference to the eighth:

"I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. I will be glad and rejoice in thee. (Compare Song 1:4; Re 19:7) I will sing to THY NAME, O thou Most High." Psalms 1-2.

As if "The Name," so highly praised in the former Psalm, were still ringing in the ear of the sweet singer of Israel.  And in Ps 9:10, he returns to it, celebrating their confidence who "know" that "name" as if its fragrance still breathed in the atmosphere around.

continued on next post.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 07:53:22 AM »

Psalm 9 comments continued. (ref used MHCC)
 1-10 If we would praise God acceptably, we must praise him in sincerity, with our whole heart. When we give thanks for some one particular mercy, we should remember former mercies. Our joy must not be in the gift, so much as in the Giver. The triumphs of the Redeemer ought to be the triumphs of the redeemed. The almighty power of God is that which the strongest and stoutest of his enemies are no way able to stand before. We are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth, and that with him there is no unrighteousness. His people may, by faith, flee to him as their Refuge, and may depend on his power and promise for their safety, so that no real hurt shall be done to them. Those who know him to be a God of truth and faithfulness, will rejoice in his word of promise, and rest upon that. Those who know him to be an everlasting Father, will trust him with their souls as their main care, and trust in him at all times, even to the end; and by constant care seek to approve themselves to him in the whole course of their lives. Who is there that would not seek him, who never hath forsaken those that seek Him?

11-20 Those who believe that God is greatly to be praised, not only desire to praise him better themselves, but desire that others may join with them. There is a day coming, when it will appear that he has not forgotten the cry of the humble; neither the cry of their blood, or the cry of their prayers. We are never brought so low, so near to death, but God can raise us up. If he has saved us from spiritual and eternal death, we may thence hope, that in all our distresses he will be a very present help to us. The overruling providence of God frequently so orders it, that persecutors and oppressors are brought to ruin by the projects they formed to destroy the people of God. Drunkards kill themselves; prodigals beggar themselves; the contentious bring mischief upon themselves: thus men's sins may be read in their punishment, and it becomes plain to all, that the destruction of sinners is of themselves. All wickedness came originally with the wicked one from hell; and those who continue in sin, must go to that place of torment. The true state, both of nations and of individuals, may be correctly estimated by this one rule, whether in their doings they remember or forget God. David encourages the people of God to wait for his salvation, though it should be long deferred. God will make it appear that he never did forget them: it is not possible he should. Strange that man, dust in his origin, sinful by his fall, continually reminded of both by everything in him and about him, should yet need some sharp affliction, some severe visitation from God, to bring him to the knowledge of himself, and make him feel who and what he is.
Who can know all the deep things of God? It is my personal opinion that no matter how much studying we do God is so awesome, His attributes are so vast, and our human minds so limited that we will never be able comprehend AlL THAT HE IS from a human standpoint. But when we get to heaven than we shall see Him as He is.
I chose to do some further meditation on verses 7-10. In these I found 8 important points, eternal, fulfilled, present, & future. 1. The Lord shall endure forever (eternal) 2 has prepared a throne for Judgement 9 (fulfilled). 3 shall judge the world in righteousness (future). 4 minister judgement to the people in uprightness. 5 be a refuge for the oppressed. 6 a refuge in times of trouble (eternal) 7 those who put their trust in Him KNOW His Name (God's Names is a very deep subject well worth studying, to know God better) 8 the Lord has not forsaken those that seek Him.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 10:07:09 AM »

PSALM 10
Ps 10:1 Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble? Ps 10:2 The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined. Ps 10:3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth. Ps 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts. Ps 10:5 His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them. Ps 10:6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity. Ps 10:7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity. Ps 10:8 He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor. Ps 10:9 He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net. Ps 10:10 He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones. Ps 10:11 He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it. Ps 10:12 ¶ Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble. Ps 10:13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it. Ps 10:14 Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless. Ps 10:15 Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none. Ps 10:16 The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land. Ps 10:17 LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear: Ps 10:18 To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.
My observations on this Psalm will follow on the next page.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 11:34:30 AM »

My observation on Ps 10.
This Psalm has a very definaite description of the wicked. As we can see they are: full of pride, they persecute the poor, they are taken in the devices they have imagined, they are boastful of their own heart's desire, they bless the covetous, whom the Lord abhors, through their own pride of countenance will not seek God, God is not even in their thoughts, their ways are grievous, they say in their hearts they shall not be moved, their mouths are full of cursing, deciet, and fraud, under his toungue is mischief and vanity, they are lurking in secret places, murder the innocent, their eyes are pirvately set against the poor, they lie secretly in wait as a lion in his den, they deceitfully humble themselves that the poor may fall, they say in their hearts God has forgotten them, He hides His face and will never see it.
What a description of the wicked, indeed. This sounds so much like satan and his demons. Lurking, decieving, destrying,
lying making people think God has forgotten them. The poor sound like those who are not strong in God's Word, those who don't know who they really are in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Let us always be rich in the knowledge of God's Word, let us always be ready to use our armour of God. God gave us the Spiritual Armour so that we may be able to identify the enemy and protect ourself from him. Let us always keep in our hearts and mind that the Lord is King for ever and ever, and that He will deliver us, He will hear us when we call on Him.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 12:11:42 PM »

Ps 11:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain? Ps 11:2 For, lo, the wicked bend their bow, they make ready their arrow upon the string, that they may privily shoot at the upright in heart. Ps 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do? Ps 11:4 The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD'S throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men. Ps 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth. Ps 11:6 Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup. Ps 11:7 For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.
 "The Psalms are a rich repository of experimental knowledge.  David, at the different periods of his life, was placed in almost every situation in which a believer, whether rich or poor, can be placed; in these heavenly compositions he delineates all the workings of the heart.  He introduces, too, the sentiments and conduct of the various persons who were accessory either to his troubles or his joys; and thus sets before us a compendium of all that is passing in the hearts of men throughout the world.  When he penned this Psalm he was under persecution from Saul, who sought his life, and hunted him `as a partridge upon the mountains.'  His timid friends were alarmed for his safety, and recommended him to flee to some mountain where he had a hiding place, and thus to conceal himself from the rage of Saul.  But David, being strong in faith, spurned the idea of resorting to any such pusillanimous expedients, and determined confidently to repose his trust in God." (Cmments from TOD).
Despite the attacks of his enemies, David wil not hide in a mountain sronghold. (He hides in the shadow of Almighty God), his defense is the Lord. Whether he describes a military or spiritual enemy; David's hope lies in God only.  He continues to trust in God, Who sees everything that happens. God's Children, who believe in Him, may face trials, but God loves them and is able to deliver them. Ultimately God's justice will prevail. Because He is faithful. What could we trust in that would be better than God? Absolutely NOTHING and NO ONE. What could be greater and more powerful than God? NOTHING. Even if the world is falling apart, we can trust in GOD ONLY. Even when God does not answer our prayers immediately it does not mean that He will not answer.
There is no one more powerful or more faithful to trust in than GOD ALMIGHTY!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:07 PM »

Amen Sister Maria!

I am really enjoying this study on Psalms. I'm trying to follow along, make notes, and list some other Scriptures that serve as references. In reading your last post on Psalms 11, I reflected on the life and death faith that many Old Testament Saints had in God. David had this type of faith many times.

I couldn't help but think about my own faith and how strong it would be if I was tested so harshly as many of the people in the Holy Bible. My conclusion came almost instantly - I don't measure up. Portions of Job serve as a comparison for some of the trials that David had. Most Christians connect David and Goliath and David the King when they think about David, but the same David had many times of persecution, was hated and hunted, and lived in great danger. We must also remember that David was human and sinned, including the death sentence sin of adultery. BUT, we know that David is with the LORD because of his faith in GOD, and we also know that David was still a man after God's Heart. I think this is one reason why Psalms is such a beautiful study - we see the weakness of man but strength in GOD.

Sister, thank you again.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 18:2 NASB  The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »

Amen Sister Maria!

I am really enjoying this study on Psalms. I'm trying to follow along, make notes, and list some other Scriptures that serve as references. In reading your last post on Psalms 11, I reflected on the life and death faith that many Old Testament Saints had in God. David had this type of faith many times.

I couldn't help but think about my own faith and how strong it would be if I was tested so harshly as many of the people in the Holy Bible. My conclusion came almost instantly - I don't measure up. Portions of Job serve as a comparison for some of the trials that David had. Most Christians connect David and Goliath and David the King when they think about David, but the same David had many times of persecution, was hated and hunted, and lived in great danger. We must also remember that David was human and sinned, including the death sentence sin of adultery. BUT, we know that David is with the LORD because of his faith in GOD, and we also know that David was still a man after God's Heart. I think this is one reason why Psalms is such a beautiful study - we see the weakness of man but strength in GOD.

Sister, thank you again.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 18:2 NASB  The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Amen Brother, David had a very humble heart, although he did manage to get himself into a lot of trouble, including as you mentioned 'adultry' he even went a step further and tried to cover up the adultry when Bathsheba was found to be with chld, when this didn't work for him, he went a step further and literally had Bathsheba's husband Uriah killed, thereby being guilty of murder as well, even if he himself did not lift the sword against his faithful servant. He tried in every human possible way to cover his sin by commiting an additional sin. BUT, in the end he realized what he had done was actually a sin against God, and he ran to God for forgivness not away from Him, as if he could hide his sin from the Onmiscient Almighty God. He understood that God knew everything about him, he even mentions that before he was conceived God already knew him. He humbled himself and repented many times I've read in Psalms where David says he "wet his bed with his tears" I believe that God honored David when he repented before God. God loves when we humans repent of our sins, run to Him, seek His forgiveness, and then faithfully trust in Him to deliver us from danger. God loves when we call on Him and trust Him.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 02:09:56 PM »

Psalms 12
Ps 12:1 To the chief Musician upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David. Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men. (Psa 12:1)  To the chief Musician upon Sheminith, A Psalm of David. Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.

(Psa 12:2)  They speak vanity every one with his neighbor: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.

(Psa 12:3)  The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things:

(Psa 12:4)  Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?

(Psa 12:5)  For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.

(Psa 12:6)  The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

(Psa 12:7)  Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever.

(Psa 12:Cool  The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

This psalm furnishes good thoughts for bad times; a man may comfort himself with such meditations and prayers. Let us see what makes the times bad, and when they may be said to be so. Ask the children of this world, What makes the times bad? they will tell you, Scarcity of money, decay of trade, and the desolations of war, make the times bad: but the Scripture lays the badness of the times on causes of another nature, 2Ti 3:1, &c. perilous times shall come, for sin shall abound; and of this David complains. When piety decays times really are bad. He who made man's mouth will call him to an account for his proud, profane, dissembling, or even useless words. When the poor and needy are oppressed, then the times are very bad. God himself takes notice of the oppression of the poor, and the sighing of the needy. When wickedness abounds, and is countenanced by those in authority, then the times are very bad. See with what good things we are here furnished for such bad times; and we cannot tell what times we may be reserved for. We have a God to go to, from whom we may ask and expect the redress of all our grievances. God will certainly punish and restrain false and proud men. God will work deliverance for his oppressed people. His help is given in the fittest time. Though men are false, God is faithful; though they are not to be trusted, God is. The preciousness of God's word is compared to silver refined to the highest degree. How many proofs have been given of its power and truth! God will secure his chosen remnant, however bad the times are. As long as the world stands, there will be a generation of proud and wicked men. But all God's people are put into the hands of Christ our Saviour; there they are in safety, for none can pluck them thence; being built on Him, the Rock, they are safe, notwithstanding temptation or persecution come with ever so much force upon them. (MHCC)

When even God's people seem to fail in faith, dicouragement follows. How believers speak is important, because they influence others, Here David calls out to God, who will punish those who speak wrongly.
Have the words or actions of people who claim to be Christians discouraged you? When people faileed you have you turned to God?
(Everyday Guide To The Psalms by Pamela McQuade)

Christians can stop discouragement, and anything that gets in the way of their service to God. By turning to God in prayer and seeking Him for help and advice, instead of running to the phone to call aunt so-and-so, or uncle know-it-all, or sister tell-me-all-about-it.

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 08:47:51 AM »

Psalm 13
Ps 13:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. How long wilt thou forget me, O LORD? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
Ps 13:2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
Ps 13:3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Ps 13:4 Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
Ps 13:5 But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
Ps 13:6 I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.

This psalm is the deserted soul's case and cure. Whether it was penned upon any particular occasion does not appear, but in general. David sadly complains that God had long withdrawn from him and delayed to relieve him, Ps 13:1-2. He earnestly prays to God to consider his case and comfort him, Ps 13:3-4.  He assures himself of an answer of peace, and therefore concludes the psalm with joy and triumph, because he concludes his deliverance to be as good as wrought, Ps 13:5-6.
David, in affliction, is here pouring out his soul before God; his address is short, but the method is very observable, and of use for direction and encouragement. (excerpts from MHC)

- God sometimes hides his face, and leaves his own children in the dark concerning their interest in him: and this they lay to heart more than any outward trouble whatever. But anxious cares are heavy burdens with which believers often load themselves more than they need. The bread of sorrows is sometimes the saint's daily bread; our Master himself was a man of sorrows. It is a common temptation, when trouble lasts long, to think that it will last always. Those who have long been without joy, begin to be without hope. We should never allow ourselves to make any complaints but what drive us to our knees. Nothing is more killing to a soul than the want of God's favour; nothing more reviving than the return of it. The sudden, delightful changes in the book of Psalms, are often very remarkable. We pass from depth of despondency to the height of religious confidence and joy. It is thus, ver. 5. All is gloomy dejection in ver. 4; but here the mind of the despondent worshipper rises above all its distressing fears, and throws itself, without reserve, on the mercy and care of its Divine Redeemer. See the power of faith, and how good it is to draw near to God. If we bring our cares and griefs to the throne of grace, and leave them there, we may go away like Hannah, and our countenances will be no more sad, 1Sa 1:18. God's mercy is the support of the psalmist's faith. Finding I have that to trust to, I am comforted, though I have no merit of my own. His faith in God's mercy filled his heart with joy in his salvation; for joy and peace come by believing. He has dealt bountifully with me. By faith he was as confident of salvation, as if it had been completed already. In this way believers pour out their prayers, renouncing all hopes but in the mercy of God through the Saviour's blood: and sometimes suddenly, at others gradually, they will find their burdens removed, and their comforts restored; they then allow that their fears and complaints were unnecessary, and acknowledge that the Lord hath dealt bountifully with them. (MHCC)

Has God really left any of us? No He promised He would not.
 Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Even when we think God seems distant from us, have we gone to Him? Have we searched our own heart?
It would be good for us to always remember that:
Isa 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 11:50:07 AM »

Amen!

Sister Maria,

This study in Psalms, I am really starting to enjoy.

Resting in the hands, of the Lord.
Bob

Psalm 97:10
O you who love the Lord, hate evil; He preserves the lives of His saints (the children of God), He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 10:22:02 AM »

Psalm 14
Ps 14:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Ps 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
Ps 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Ps 14:4 ¶ Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.
Ps 14:5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.
Ps 14:6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.
Ps 14:7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

I would like to concentrate on just the first verse of this Psalm, as the entire Psalm is a subject of very deep study. In researching the Treasury of David I have found the following information:

PSALM 14

TITLE. This admirable ode is simply headed, "To the Chief Musician, by David." The dedication to the Chief Musician stands at the head of fifty-three of the Psalms, and clearly indicates that such psalms were intended, not merely for the private use of believers, but to be sung in the great assemblies by the appointed choir at whose head was the overseer, or superintendent, called in our version, "the Chief Musician," and by Ainsworth, "the Master of the Music."  Several of these psalms have little or no praise in them, and were not addressed directly to the Most High, and yet were to be sung in public worship; which is a clear indication that the theory of Augustine lately revived by certain hymn book makers, that nothing but praise should be sung, is far more plausible than scriptural.  Not only did the ancient Church chant hallowed doctrine and offer prayer amid her spiritual songs, but even the wailing notes of complaint were put into her mouth by the sweet singer of Israel who was inspired of God.  Some persons grasp at any nicety which has a gloss of apparent correctness upon it, and are pleased with being more fancifully precise than others; nevertheless it will ever be the way of plain men, not only to magnify the Lord in sacred canticles, but also, according to Paul's precept, to teach and admonish one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in their hearts unto the Lord. As no distinguishing title is given to this Psalm, we would suggest as an assistance to the memory, the heading -- CONCERNING PRACTICAL ATHEISM. The many conjectures as to the occasion upon which it was written are so completely without foundation, that it would be a waste of time to mention them at length. The apostle Paul, in Ro 3:1-31, has shown incidentally that the drift of the inspired writer is to show that both Jews and Gentiles are all under sin; there was, therefore, no reason for fixing upon any particular historical occasion, when all of history reeks with terrible evidence of human corruption.  With instructive alterations, David has given us in Ps 53:1-6 a second edition of this humiliating psalm, being moved of the Holy Ghost thus doubly to declare a truth which is ever distasteful to carnal minds.

DIVISION. The world's foolish creed (Ps 14:1); its practical influence in corrupting morals, Ps 14:1-3. The persecuting tendencies of sinners, Ps 14:4; their alarms, Ps 14:5; their ridicule of the godly, Ps 14:6; and a prayer for the manifestation of the Lord to his people's joy.
to be continued.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 10:29:26 AM »

Psalm 14 continued:

EXPOSITION

Ver. 1. The fool. The Atheist is the fool preeminently, and a fool universally.  He would not deny God if he were not a fool by nature, and having denied God it is no marvel that he becomes a fool in practice.  Sin is always folly, and as it is the height of sin to attack the very existence of the Most High, so it is also the greatest imaginable folly.  To say there is no God is to belie the plainest evidence, which is obstinacy; to oppose the common consent of mankind, which is stupidity; to stifle consciousness, which is madness.  If the sinner could by his atheism destroy the God whom he hates there were some sense, although much wickedness, in his infidelity; but as denying the existence of fire does not prevent its burning a man who is in it, so doubting the existence of God will not stop the Judge of all the earth from destroying the rebel who breaks his laws; nay, this atheism is a crime which much provokes heaven, and will bring down terrible vengeance on the fool who indulges it.  The proverb says, "A fool's tongue cuts his own throat," and in this instance it kills both soul and body for ever: would to God the mischief stopped even there, but alas! one fool makes hundreds, and a noisy blasphemer spreads his horrible doctrines as lepers spread the plague.  Ainsworth, in his "Annotations," tells us that the word here used is Nabal, which has the signification of fading, dying, or falling away, as a withered leaf or flower; it is a title given to the foolish man as having lost the juice and sap of wisdom, reason, honesty, and godliness.  Trapp hits the mark when he calls him "that sapless fellow, that carcase of a man, that walking sepulchre of himself, in whom all religion and right reason is withered and wasted, dried up and decayed".  Some translate it the apostate, and others the wretch.  With what earnestness should we shun the appearance of doubt as to the presence, activity, power and love of God, for all such mistrust is of the nature of folly, and who among us would wish to be ranked with the fool in the text? Yet let us never forget that all unregenerate men are more or less such fools.  The fool

hath said in his heart. May a man with his mouth profess to believe, and yet in heart say the reverse?  Had he hardly become audacious enough to utter his folly with his tongue?  Did the Lord look upon his thoughts as being in the nature of words to Him though not to man?  Is this where man first becomes an unbeliever? -- in his heart, not in his head?  And when he talks atheistically, is it a foolish heart speaking, and endeavouring to clamour down the voice of conscience?  We think so.  If the affections were set upon truth and righteousness, the understanding would have no difficulty in settling the question of a present personal Deity, but as the heart dislikes the good and the right, it is no wonder that it desires to be rid of that Elohim, who is the great moral Governor, the Patron of rectitude and the Punisher of iniquity.  While men's hearts remain what they are, we must not be surprised at the prevalence of scepticism; a corrupt tree will bring forth corrupt fruit.  "Every man," says Dickson, "so long as he lieth unrenewed and unreconciled to God is nothing in effect but a madman."  What wonder then if he raves?  Such fools as those we are now dealing with are common to all time, and all countries; they grow without watering, and are found all the world over.  The spread of mere intellectual enlightenment will not diminish their number, for since it is an affair of the heart, this folly and great learning will often dwell together.  To answer sceptical cavillings will be labour lost until grace enters to make the mind willing to believe; fools can raise more objections in an hour than wise men can answer in seven years, indeed it is their mirth to set stools for wise men to stumble over. Let the preacher aim at the heart, and preach the all conquering love of Jesus, and he will by God's grace win more doubters to the faith of the gospel than any hundred of the best reasoners who only direct their arguments to the head.  "The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God," or

no God.  So monstrous is the assertion, that the man hardly dared to put it as a positive statement, but went very near to doing so. Calvin seems to regard this saying, "no God," as hardly amounting to a syllogism, scarcely reaching to a positive, dogmatical declaration; but Dr. Alexander clearly shows that it does.  It is not merely the wish of the sinner's corrupt nature, and the hope of his rebellious heart, but he manages after a fashion to bring himself to assert it, and at certain seasons he thinks that he believes it.  It is a solemn reflection that some who worship God with their lips may in their hearts be saying, "no God."  It is worthy of observation that he does not say there is no Jehovah, but there is no Elohim; Deity in the abstract is not so much the object of attack, as the covenant, personal, ruling and governing presence of God in the world.  God as ruler, lawgiver, worker, Saviour, is the butt at which the arrows of human wrath are shot.  How impotent the malice!  How mad the rage which raves and foams against Him in whom we live and move and have our being!  How horrible the insanity which leads a man who owes his all to God to cry out, "No God"!  How terrible the depravity which makes the whole race adopt this as their hearts desire, "no God!"  They are corrupt. This refers to all men, and we have the warrant of the Holy Ghost for so saying; see the third chapter of the epistle to the Romans.  Where there is enmity to God, there is deep, inward depravity of mind.  The words are rendered by eminent critics in an active sense, "they have done corruptly:" this may serve to remind us that sin is not only in our nature passively as the source of evil, but we ourselves actively fan the flame and corrupt ourselves, making that blacker still which was black as darkness itself already.  We rivet our own chains by habit and continuance.   They have done abominable works. When men begin with renouncing the Most High God, who shall tell where they will end?  When the Master's eyes are put out, what will not the servants do?  Observe the state of the world before the flood, as pourtrayed in Ge 6:12, and remember that human nature is unchanged.  He who would see a terrible photograph of the world without God must read that most painful of all inspired Scriptures, the first chapter of the epistle to the Romans.  There is none that doeth good. Sins of omission must abound where transgressions are rife.  Those who do the things which they ought not to have done, are sure to leave undone those things which they ought to have done.  What a picture of our race is this!  Save only where grace reigns, there is none that doeth good; humanity, fallen and debased, is a desert without an oasis, a night without a star, a dunghill without a jewel, a hell without a bottom.
continued:

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 10:55:17 AM »

Whole Psalm. There is a peculiar mark put upon this Psalm, in that it is twice in the Book of psalms.  The fourteenth Psalm and the fifty-third Psalm are the same, with the alteration of one or two expressions at most.  And there is another mark put upon it, that the apostle transcribes a great part of it. Ro 3:10-12.

It contains a description of a most deplorable state of things in the world -- aye, in Israel; a most deplorable state, by reason of the general corruption that was befallen all sorts of men, in their principles, and in their practices, and in their opinions.

First, it was a time when there was a mighty prevalent principle of atheism got into the world, got among the great men of the world. Saith he, "That is their principle, they say in their hearts, `There is no God.'"  It is true, they did not absolutely profess it; but it was the principle whereby all their actings were regulated, and which they conformed unto.  The fool, saith he, hath said in his heart, There is no God.  Not this or that particular man, but the fool -- that is, those foolish men; for in the next word he tells you, They are corrupt; and Ps 14:3, They are all gone aside.  "The fool" is taken indefinitely for the great company and society of foolish men, to intimate that whatsoever they were divided about else, they were all agreed in this.  "They are all a company of atheists," saith he, "practical atheists."  Secondly, their affections were suitable to this principle, as all men's affections and actions are suitable to their principles. What are you to expect from men whose principle is, that there is no God?  Why, saith he, for their affections, "They are corrupt;" which he expresses again (Ps 14:3), "They are all gone aside, they are altogether become filthy."  "All gone aside."  The word in the original is, "They are all grown sour;" as drink, that hath been formerly of some use, but when grown vapid -- lost all its spirits and life -- it is an insipid thing, good for nothing.  And, saith he, They are altogether become filthy -- "become stinking," as the margin hath it.  They have corrupt affections, that have left them no life, no savour; but stinking, corrupt lusts prevail in them universally.  They say, "There is no God;" and they are filled with stinking, corrupt lusts. Thirdly, if this be their principle and these their affections, let us look after their actions, to see if they be any better.  But consider their actions.  They be of two sorts; 1.  How they act in the world, 2.  How they act toward the people of God.
 God by his providence seldom gives an absolute, universal security unto men in their height of sin, and oppression, and sensuality, and lusts; but he will secretly put them in fear where no fear is: and though there be nothing seen that should cause them to have any fear, they shall act like men at their wits' end with fear.
I want to point out one small aspect here that humans can commit sin, (thus commited sin), however, if we do not obey the Holy Spirit when we are led by Him to do something, this too is a sin; a sin of ommision. When I pray I ask God to forgive me not just for the sins I have commited, those that I know about, but also of those that I have unkowingly commited, and those that I have commited by not being obedient to His Word; not doing what I have been prompted to do by the Holy Spirit, either because of fear, neglect, or prcrastination. This Psalm is short but it is very powerful and worth the extra effort in studying a little deeper. Some refrences that may be used are MHC, MHCC, and TOD.
Due to time and space it is not possible for me to go into a deeper explanation, but I would encourage all readers to seek God's Word for themselves and study this Psalm a little more. I pray that this has given the readers of this post a desire to dig deeper into the the Word of God and be saturated with the Word of God.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the