Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 01:26:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286853 Posts in 27569 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)  (Read 46515 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2004, 03:27:06 AM »

Part Two - Commentary by David Limbaugh

It should be seen by as many people as possible. I intend to do everything I can to make sure that is the case. I am passionate about "The Passion." You will be as well. Don't miss it! This is a
commentary by DAVID LIMBAUGH about Mel Gibson's very controversial movie regarding Christ's crucifixion. It, too, is well worth reading.

MEL GIBSON'S passion for "THE PASSION"

How ironic that when a movie producer takes artistic license with historical events, he is lionized as artistic, creative and brilliant, but when another takes special care to be true to the real-life story, he is vilified. Actor-producer Mel Gibson is discovering these truths the hard way as he is having difficulty finding a United States studio or distributor for his upcoming film, "The Passion," which depicts the last 12 hours of the life of Jesus Christ.

Gibson co-wrote the script and financed, directed and produced the movie. For the script, he and his co-author relied on the New Testament Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, as well as the
diaries of St. Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824) and Mary of Agreda's "The City of God." Gibson doesn't want this to be like other sterilized religious epics. "I'm trying to access the story on a very personal level and trying to be very real about it." So committed to realistically portraying what
many would consider the most important half-day in the history of the universe, Gibson even shot the film in the Aramaic language of the period. In response to objections that viewers will not be able to
understand that language, Gibson said, "Hopefully, I'll be able to transcend the language barriers with my visual storytelling; if I fail, I fail, but at least it'll be a monumental failure."

To further insure the accuracy of the work, Gibson has enlisted the counsel of pastors and theologians, and has received rave reviews. Don Hodel, president of Focus on the Family, said, "I was very impressed. The movie is historically and theologically accurate." Ted Haggard, pastor of New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colo., and president of the National Evangelical Association, glowed: "It conveys, more accurately than any other film, who Jesus was."

During the filming, Gibson, a devout Catholic, attended Mass every morning because "we had to be squeaky clean just working on this." From Gibson's perspective, this movie is not about Mel Gibson. It's bigger than he is. "I'm not a preacher, and I'm not a pastor," he said. "But I really feel my career was leading me to make this. The Holy Ghost was working through me on this film, and I was just
directing traffic. I hope the film has the power to evangelize."

Even before the release of the movie, scheduled for March 2004, Gibson is getting his wish. "Everyone who worked on this movie was changed. There were agnostics and Muslims on set converting to
Christianity...[and] people being healed of diseases." Gibson wants people to understand through the movie, if they don't already, the incalculable influence Christ has had on the world. And he grasps that
Christ is controversial precisely because of WHO HE IS - GOD incarnate. "And that's the point of my film really, to show all that turmoil around him politically and with religious leaders and the people, all because He is Who He is."

Gibson is beginning to experience first hand just how controversial Christ is. Critics have not only speciously challenged the movie's authenticity, but have charged that it is disparaging to Jews, which
Gibson vehemently denies. "This is not a Christian vs. Jewish thing. '[Jesus] came into the world, and it knew him not.' Looking at Christ's crucifixion, I look first at my own culpability in that." Jesuit Father William J. Fulco, who translated the script into Aramaic and Latin, said he saw no hint of anti-Semitism in the movie. Fulco added, "I would be aghast at any suggestion that Mel Gibson is anti-Semitic." Nevertheless, certain groups and some in the mainstream press have been very critical of Gibson's "Passion."

The New York Post's Andrea Peyser chided him: "There is still time, Mel, to tell the truth." Boston Globe columnist James Carroll denounced Gibson's literal reading of the biblical accounts. "Even a
faithful repetition of the Gospel stories of the death of Jesus can do damage exactly because those sacred texts themselves carry the virus of Jew hatred," wrote Carroll. A group of Jewish and Christian
academics has issued an 18-page report slamming all aspects of the film, including its undue emphasis on Christ's passion rather than "a broader vision." The report disapproves of the movie's treatment of Christ's passion as historical fact.

The moral is that if you want the popular culture to laud your work on Christ, make sure it either depicts Him as a homosexual or as an everyday sinner with no particular redeeming value (literally). In our anti-Christian culture, the blasphemous "The Last Temptation of Christ" is celebrated and "The Passion" is condemned. But if this movie continues to affect people the way it is now, no amount of
cultural opposition will suppress its force and its positive impact on lives everywhere. Mel Gibson is a model of faith and courage.

Please copy this and send it on to all your friends to let them know about this film so that we'll all go see it when it comes out.

Trina

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us."
Ephesians  3:20

Love In Christ,
Tom

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2004, 07:58:54 AM »

I plan to see it as soon as I can. But I'm not sure I'll be able to handle it emotionally!  Embarrassed

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2004, 11:42:56 AM »

I'm unsure whether to classify it as voyeurism, and dismiss it.

I'm thinking it's one thing to watch another's gallantry--and Jesus here is the gallant One--but quite another to try it myself.  I'm not sure that watching films about, etc., helps me with being a hero.

What Jesus went through is horrific.  ANd that's how we human beings are--horrific, to each other.

As for David Limbaugh, and Rush.  I don't understand why they didn't support Judge Moore, with the Ten Commandments, there in Alabama.   And they didn't support him.  They said Judge Moore must obey "the rule of law", and honor the higher court's opinion.   And Rush had a nationwide mouthpiece literally with which to do it.  Shortly thereafter, the drug news hit.  

Well, pardon me please, but duh.  Who do we think wrote the Ten Commandments, and to how much higher of a court can you go??  That was the whole point;  that the Ten Commandments were legit precisely b/c they came down from "a higher court"--that is, the Highest Court.  Judge Moore was merely installing them in his court, a right he had as a chf justice within the laws of that state.

Unless of course the Ten Commandments were just written by men.  In that case they would have a point.   Undecided

No, I'm not sure.   Gibson's movie may just be so much more grandstanding, and provocation, than it is the Gospel message.   I might be wrong about that.

Maybe it's good to focus totally on just this part of the Gospel, as this movie apparently does.  I'm not so sure.  Sort of like maybe going to see the Exorcist?  Yes, it's a part of reality; demon possession is a reality.  But would I go see it?

Undecided

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2004, 05:09:52 PM »

Rush admitted he did wrong. Moore is milking this. Where the 10 commandments are in your work place doesn’t do jack for your Christianity. Do you know what Judge Moore’s rebellion got us? One less Christian in the Government, one more victory for the liberal’s to laud over us, and one more embarrassing loss for the Christian faith. Nothing was gained by Moore’s actions.  Well, nothing was gained by Conservative Christians. The Liberals and ACLU and all anti-Christians everywhere gained plenty. Not only did they get the 10 C's out of the courthouse, they also took a man of God off the bench, making room for yet antoher Liberal Judge. Great job, Moore, you made the shot. To bad it was in the OTHER TEAMS GOAL! Roll Eyes

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2004, 12:23:16 AM »

Well, I see your point, Tibby.  I didn't realize Rush had recanted at all on that point tho.  I'd not heard that at all.

And that Moore is milking this?  Hmmm.  Actually, he started this with a home carved wood engraving of the 10C's he made himself and wanted to hang in his circuit court, years ago.  As I understand it, it was the others who challenged him, and he didn't renege.   If the ACLU et. al. had left him alone, I doubt seriously there'd be anything more hanging in the state court building than that same wood carving.  No, I don't think it is Judge Moore making the issue.  I think it's the plaintiffs.  They're the ones suing.  They've got you thinking the way they want you to.  That Moore is the problem.

But I didn't know Rush had recanted.  

Back to the Passion, I'm tempted to view it as indulgent.  That is, for spectacle's sake.  Even tho Gibson wouldn't intend it that way.    

What if this whole Passion thing in the end backfires, and  people start coming out cheering the Romans?

Mel Gibson, and any other movie producer similarly, is still relying ultimately on the morals of a sympathetic audience;  I don't see audiences going that way.  Audiences to my opinion seem like they're becoming more and more like in the Collisseum.  Just blood thirsty.  What is it that makes us think we're any different than the Romans of 2000 years ago.  Just b/c we're "civilized"?  Hehe.  The Romans considered themselves highly "civilized".  That's a risk that any such a film might be taking.  I think our world is becoming more and more blood thirsty.  

By producing a spectacle such as this, you're relying almost totally upon the sympathies of a better audience.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2004, 01:08:24 AM »

I wasn’t clear about Rush, I was talking about the drugs, not what he said about Moore. I'm not sure what you thought I meant, I just wanted to clear that up. He admitted he did wrong and got help for it. He still thinks Moore is a nut.

I believe the way you are thinking is how they want us to think, actually. They don’t want us thinking strategically. They want us to blindly support every nut claiming to be Christian. We look less creditable. They WANT us to fight them over issues like this. We make it into a court case to be decided, they can cite this in late case, and win them as well.

You see, we as Christians toss all our support on the losing side of a court case, we loose credibility in the court and in the eyes of the people who are on the fence.

They WANT us on Moore's side. Makes us easier to deal with. Every Future Moore that we support that loses is one more notch in their belt. One more court case they can being up against any Christians at any time. Moore's lose is there gain. It this that they WANT me to think Moore is the problem, it is that he IS the problem.

As for Passion's, I geuss we just have to pray. I don't think America is nearly as close to being Rome as we think. We have a few more years to go, at least.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2004, 10:53:50 AM »

They WANT us on Moore's side. Makes us easier to deal with. Every Future Moore that we support that loses is one more notch in their belt. One more court case they can being up against any Christians at any time. Moore's lose is there gain. It this that they WANT me to think Moore is the problem, it is that he IS the problem.
Hmmm.  Jesus lost His court case, suffered humiliation and (temporary) death, and the Pharisees thought that was a notch in their belt.  
I’m not suggesting that Judge Moore is equal to our Lord – but I am saying we shouldn’t limit our support only to those whom we perceive to be "winners".  Personally I’ll ride the band wagon I believe is righteous rather than the one that is proven popular.  

But hey - we are WAY off the subject of the thread, here!

God Bless!
JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2004, 12:08:29 PM »

The Ten Commandments, Tibby:  Are they of God, or of man?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2004, 05:42:48 PM »

The Ten Commandments, Tibby:  Are they of God, or of man?

That depends: Ten Commandments the doctrine, Ten Commandments the movie, or Ten Commandments  the large hunk of rock in the Alabama courthouse?

The first one is of God, the last 2 are of man. Smiley

prelude04

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2004, 07:09:21 PM »

Hey, I thought you guys may be interested to know that advanced tickets are now available!   Yeah.. check out http://www.passiontickets.com for more info.   I heard of a few Churches that are coming togethor to see it with their whole congregation and stuff, anyone else heard of that?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2004, 08:43:49 PM »

Yes, I"ve heard of that.  Thank you, Prelude.  Welcome to the boards here...  Smiley

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2004, 11:38:20 PM »

Looks like we're closing in for the Premier, in a few days...
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2004, 11:53:52 AM »

What's to keep this from becoming instead a rallying cry for the gay agenda--i.e., Jesus was gay, look what they do to gays, they crucify them?

?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2004, 06:14:36 PM »

What's to keep this from becoming instead a rallying cry for the gay agenda--i.e., Jesus was gay, look what they do to gays, they crucify them?

?

The fact that homosexuals HATE Good ol’ Mel. Grin Grin

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2004, 11:34:54 PM »

Perhaps, Tibby, perhaps.

But those are the reactionary types.

The more clever ones certainly would see great advantage to this, it seems to me?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the