Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bye Internet Explorer & Outlook!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bye Internet Explorer & Outlook!  (Read 11233 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 08:36:03 PM »

SeekerAfterTruth Said:

The combination of Linux and Opera is about as "speedy" as one can get, but if you keep Firefox you won't lose much speed.  There are over 8700 pkgs you can get (Open Source) with Linux.....OpenOffice is just one of them, and you already have that (terrific, isn't it...I like it better than MS anyday!!).

Brother, I'm not a spring chicken any longer, and it's not as fun to get out of my comfort zone with familiar software as it used to be. However, I would say quickly that it was no pain at all with Open Office. I find it much easier to use and faster than MS Office. I am playing with the latest beta version of Open Office right now, and it is wonderful. I don't miss anything about Microsoft except the bloat and the expense.  Cheesy  I'm hoping that my experience with Linux will be as pleasant and painless.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 135:6  Whatsoever the LORD pleased, that did he in heaven, and in earth, in the seas, and all deep places.

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2005, 09:14:37 PM »

Linux.....ummmm, I don't know about "painless!!!!"  However, once you get everything installed and connected, it is fantastic.  I have OpenOffice 1.4, may give the "beta" a whirl. What have they added?
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2005, 10:14:05 PM »

SeekerAfterTruth,

Brother, the latest beta version of Open Office adds database and more compatibility with the latest Microsoft Office products. It is also downward compatible with more MS Office products than ever. I've only been playing with it several weeks, but I can tell you the database functions equal or exceed MS Office. Open Office 1.14 lacked the database and maybe a few other MS Office functions. I don't know what else is left to do with Open Office, but I understand that the latest and greatest may come out of beta soon. There are also new formats to save your work in, but the new Open Office is also downward compatible with older Open Office formats. The new and the old Open Office file formats are stored in much smaller file sizes than MS Office. Open Office might even set new industry standards for file formats. Many of the file formats are 40% and more smaller than the MS Office formats. At this point, I think you can do more with Open Office than you can with MS Office, but you can exchange work with people still using MS Office. There is no longer any reason to spend $500 or more for an Office Suite. Database used to be a reason, but that is now gone.

UM??? - Maybe some folks will feel sorry for Bill Gates loss of income and keep buying MS Office.  Cheesy   I would rather send some reasonable donations to the outstanding writers of Open Office and make sure that Bill Gates can never hold all of us hostage again with MS Office.

Love In Christ,
Tom

I Peter 3:15  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 11:47:17 AM »

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1758849,00.asp

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
seekeraftertruth
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 04:06:44 PM »

Blackeyedpeas.....Hey, great, got a database now, huh.  Wonder if it will now read mdb files? (1.1.4 will not read mdb files from MS).  I think I will wait until it comes out of "beta" before upgrading, though.

JudgeNot......Some have mentioned that Firefox is not consistent in what it will or will not do...sometimes it does, soemetimes it doesn't, sometimes something will work and sometimes it won't....I never had any trouble with mine, but I'm wondering if maybe they would just uninstall it and then reinstall it, might cure the problem.....if the original download was corrupted in any way it won't work right (but that goes for any download, not just Firefox).  Adobe Acrobat/Reader did me that way, and it took FOUR installation tries to get it right, but I haven't had any trouble with it since.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 09:39:48 PM »

Seeker,

I wish that I could tell you more about the new database functions of Open Office. I only do several databases, and none of them are currently Microsoft. I did look at the list of database formats supported, and Microsoft Access is one of them. There's actually a fairly impressive list of formats supported, including MySQL and other popular types. I've been wanting to do a new database for links on my web site, so I might play with it some and let you know.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 8:26-28  The Spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit Himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2005, 03:50:57 PM »

Blackeyedpeas.....ok, if it will read what Access produces it should read mdb files. [mdb = microsoft data base]. When the new version comes out of beta I'll upgrade.

That is when I get back to my own computer!!  Be about three or four months before that happens. [Lord I miss my computer...these at the VA use Windows 2000 and IE, and it's like going back to the stone age!]
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 08:13:09 PM »

Blackeyedpeas.....ok, if it will read what Access produces it should read mdb files. [mdb = microsoft data base]. When the new version comes out of beta I'll upgrade.

That is when I get back to my own computer!!  Be about three or four months before that happens. [Lord I miss my computer...these at the VA use Windows 2000 and IE, and it's like going back to the stone age!]
Stone age? Ah ha, I use, and like windows ME, which is older then 2000. Yes I use Mozilla, with no problems. Open Office works, with out a problem. I have found, I like it 100 times better the MS office. I had to send off for the CD, to load it on my computer. Guess what, I sent them another 15 dollars, in thanks for a friendly user program.

Resting with the Lord.
Bob

Proverbs 22:11 He that loveth pureness of heart, for the grace of his lips the king shall be his friend.

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »

DreamWeaver........Windows ME......good grief!!!   Cry

Uh, if you are just bound determined to stick with "Windows," I would recommend that you at least upgrade to the latest edition of XP-Pro, with Service Pack 2, and install a good "freeware" antivirus program (AVG Free), antispyware program (Spybot S & D, plus Lavasoft Ad-Aware), RegScrub XP, PowerDefragXP, .indexdat.suite, and either CCleaner or CacheCleaner, and get the "free trial" Ashampoo WinOptimizer (use it to delete all your duplicated dll's....you probably have a half a gig of duplicate dll's on there!).  Keep your Firefox browser, but you might want to install either Opera 8 or the K-Meleon as a second browser. [You do realize you can have two Operating Systems on your hard drive don't you?  Providing, of course, you don't have one of those mini-drives, like a 3GB - 10GB drive.....PLEASE DON'T TELL ME you have only 3 - 10GB!!!!!!]  You might want to install Linux and compare it to your ME, or XP-Pro......once you get used to it, my guess is you'd scrap the Windows application entirely and just run Linux.  http://www.debian.org/

How many gigs is your hard drive? How much RAM do you have?  Processor speed?  If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to have 512MB RAM, and around 600MHz processor speed, and at least a 20GB hard drive, though I'd prefer at least 40 myself (but I have a LOT of music files).  If you're a "gamer," you might even want a Gig of RAM, and 1GHz processor speed.

Why did you have to send for the OpenOffice disk? There is a free download at http://www.openoffice.org/
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 01:36:24 AM »

DreamWeaver........Windows ME......good grief!!!   Cry

Uh, if you are just bound determined to stick with "Windows," I would recommend that you at least upgrade to the latest edition of XP-Pro, with Service Pack 2, and install a good "freeware" antivirus program (AVG Free), antispyware program (Spybot S & D, plus Lavasoft Ad-Aware), RegScrub XP, PowerDefragXP, .indexdat.suite, and either CCleaner or CacheCleaner, and get the "free trial" Ashampoo WinOptimizer (use it to delete all your duplicated dll's....you probably have a half a gig of duplicate dll's on there!).  Keep your Firefox browser, but you might want to install either Opera 8 or the K-Meleon as a second browser. [You do realize you can have two Operating Systems on your hard drive don't you?  Providing, of course, you don't have one of those mini-drives, like a 3GB - 10GB drive.....PLEASE DON'T TELL ME you have only 3 - 10GB!!!!!!]  You might want to install Linux and compare it to your ME, or XP-Pro......once you get used to it, my guess is you'd scrap the Windows application entirely and just run Linux.  http://www.debian.org/

How many gigs is your hard drive? How much RAM do you have?  Processor speed?  If you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to have 512MB RAM, and around 600MHz processor speed, and at least a 20GB hard drive, though I'd prefer at least 40 myself (but I have a LOT of music files).  If you're a "gamer," you might even want a Gig of RAM, and 1GHz processor speed.

Why did you have to send for the OpenOffice disk? There is a free download at http://www.openoffice.org/

I am on dial-up, and couldn't download the file, from Openoffice. My computer is an 233MHz with 48 MB  Sdram. 8.9 Gig hard drive. The only reason I have this computer, is it was saved in the fire. No, I don't download music, nor am I a gamer. I am on SSDI, so I am very tight on money. I started to build a new computer, which was lost in the fire.

I use the computer for, writing, and on the forum, here. I read the news, online. That saves me money, and getting rid of the papers.

Sorry but, this is all I can afford right now. I am still trying to get my life, back in order. From the fire, I had here back a few months ago.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 02:28:26 AM »

Dreamweaver,

Brother, I'm still using slow dial-up for money reasons also. I had an old computer almost tied together with bailing wire for 3 years before I was finally able to get a new computer. BUT, I don't have your talent to build my own. If I did, I would have built one when the old computer became almost nothing but trouble.

If you stay away from the latest and greatest, motherboards and other components are almost dirt cheap right now. I think it would be fun to build one. But if I built one, it would look like the work of the 3 Stooges.  Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 115:11  Ye that fear the LORD, trust in the LORD: he is their help and their shield.

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 02:28:25 PM »

Dreamweaver.........dial up?  DIAL UP?   Cry

Ok, well, I see why you don't do much downloading!!! In your computer building, Blackeyedpeas is right, don't worry about getting the "latest/greatest."  Concentrate on getting as much RAM as you can, at least a 20GB hard drive (preferably 40GB), and a processor that runs 600MHz or better....in other words get the "heart" of the system.....Memory is fairly cheap, a used hard drive can be purchased, and processors aren't all that expensive......WalMart is OK for new stuff, but you can get things cheaper at a computer repair shop.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=4465&path=0%3A3944%3A3964%3A132959%3A4465
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=117885&path=0%3A3944%3A3964%3A132959%3A3955%3A117885

I understand you are on a "fixed income" (SSDI)....have you asked your ISP how much the cost would be to add DSL or a cable modem to your monthly phone or cable bill?  I use cable, and it only adds $16 a month to my regular cable bill.
[If I remember correctly adding DSL would have been about $12 extra on the phone bill monthly, but I went with the cable modem as that is a weee bit better than DSL.]  You may find that it doesn't add very much to "bundle" your service with your current phone or cable company.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 01:52:41 AM »

Dreamweaver.........dial up?  DIAL UP?   Cry

Ok, well, I see why you don't do much downloading!!! In your computer building, Blackeyedpeas is right, don't worry about getting the "latest/greatest."  Concentrate on getting as much RAM as you can, at least a 20GB hard drive (preferably 40GB), and a processor that runs 600MHz or better....in other words get the "heart" of the system.....Memory is fairly cheap, a used hard drive can be purchased, and processors aren't all that expensive......WalMart is OK for new stuff, but you can get things cheaper at a computer repair shop.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=4465&path=0%3A3944%3A3964%3A132959%3A4465
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=117885&path=0%3A3944%3A3964%3A132959%3A3955%3A117885

I understand you are on a "fixed income" (SSDI)....have you asked your ISP how much the cost would be to add DSL or a cable modem to your monthly phone or cable bill?  I use cable, and it only adds $16 a month to my regular cable bill.
[If I remember correctly adding DSL would have been about $12 extra on the phone bill monthly, but I went with the cable modem as that is a weee bit better than DSL.]  You may find that it doesn't add very much to "bundle" your service with your current phone or cable company.

Brother, for me to add, DSL would cost another 29.00 dollars. Where I live, there is no cable. DSL, on my Direct tv would cost, over 50.00 dollars and I can't afford that. And then I also have to buy the equiment.

It took me 4 months, to buy almost everything I needed to build the other computer. With that destroyed, I have to start all over again. From the fire, the insurance paided almost for everything. I still came up short, though on some of my other needs.

My faith in the Lord, has not wavered. I know in my heart, that I am being taken care of. For my Lord, Jesus Christ, is a Lord that can not be defeated. He is the King, of Kings, The Lord of Lords, and he loves me.

Resting in the Lords arms.
Bob

Ephesians 3:13 Wherefore I desire that ye faint not at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 04:27:06 PM »

Well, so much for that idea!  The bad news is no DSL or Cable...the good news is you are astill up & running.  Smiley

I can remember when I had dial-up, and thought it was great, and then I switched to cable, and then I thought, WOW, how did I ever put up with that slooooooooow dial-up!  Guess it is a matter of perspective.......in the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!  Dial-up is certainly better than ZIPPO ! !  Smiley
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 11:12:39 AM »

:D  Is anyone here old enough to have used a 300 baud dial-up modem?  I am.  I ran a law enforcement bulletin board for many years, and some of those years were with a 300 baud modem. I thought I was in tall cotton when I got my first 1200 baud modem.  :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the