Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bye Internet Explorer & Outlook!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bye Internet Explorer & Outlook!  (Read 11244 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 12:26:46 AM »

You are right Brother Tom. Portions of I.E. support many other functions in Windows programs. One of these is Desk Top functions. To delete it would make the desk top inoperative and therefore no computer.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
livingforthelord

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 12:29:05 AM »

Grin

Thanks for the warm welcomes Pastor Roger and blackeyedpeas!!!

And thanks for the information.  Pastor Roger, I did'nt know you could change the default for everything; I saw that under add/remove programs but I never mess with my computers guts unless I know what I'm doing.  And blackeyedpeas, I won't delete anythng.  And I too have heard that removing IE causes HUGE problems!!!  And when they took my old cpu, they put the hard drive into this one so I have two, even if they are only 15gig a piece.

Things are just warming up but it's 12:22pm here and I've been going since 7am.  It's past my bedtime but I'll be back Wink.
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 12:41:24 AM »

I use both Opera and Firefox...i've gotten the latest Release Candidate for Firefox and it seems to be working fine. You all are correct about removing IE will cause major problems. That's microsoft's way of making things harder for PC's to be independent. I won't even use IE unless i'm getting windows updates from Patch Tuesday and occasionally when I want to do a virus scan from http://housecall.trendmicro.com which is a free virus scan. I dunno what the rules are about virus scanning websites, but it's worked for me so far. I use a cocktail of different services such as adaware, sygate firewall, peer guardian, microsoft antispyware beta 1 and avast antivirus...all right after the other so my machine stays pretty clean. I have mixed emotions about Spybot Search and Destroy, but i may break down and give it a try. Just a few thoughts.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 01:21:31 AM »

I use both Opera and Firefox...i've gotten the latest Release Candidate for Firefox and it seems to be working fine. You all are correct about removing IE will cause major problems. That's microsoft's way of making things harder for PC's to be independent. I won't even use IE unless i'm getting windows updates from Patch Tuesday and occasionally when I want to do a virus scan from http://housecall.trendmicro.com which is a free virus scan. I dunno what the rules are about virus scanning websites, but it's worked for me so far. I use a cocktail of different services such as adaware, sygate firewall, peer guardian, microsoft antispyware beta 1 and avast antivirus...all right after the other so my machine stays pretty clean. I have mixed emotions about Spybot Search and Destroy, but i may break down and give it a try. Just a few thoughts.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

Spybot S&D is a pretty good program but with the other programs that you already have you will have to be careful what you remove with it. For example, Spybot recognises certain Adware cache files as adware bots and will remove them. Adware will still run but it won't be able to detect those adware bots if you have them in your system.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 04:39:10 AM »

LivingForTheLord,

You are most welcome. One of these days, I'd like to get brave enough to maybe get a second hard-drive and run Linux on it with nothing but FREE, or Public Domain Free, or Open Source Free on it. I've tried enough of those programs now to know that they are excellent, and I think that Bill Gates is plenty rich enough already. I would want the safety-net of that extra drive to be able to run Windows if I needed to, but many people are switching to Linux and talking about greatly increased speed, tons of completely free programs to go on it that are first class, and a system that is not full of holes for hackers and virus writers to exploit. Linux is supposed to be much faster and safer, yet it is completely free unless you want some fancy packaging and manuals.

It's just nice to know that we don't have to be held hostage by Bill Gates and pay outrageous prices for what we can get free now.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 10:8-10 NASB  But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2005, 04:59:23 AM »

Hello Jemidon2004,

It's great to hear from you and see you on the forum. If I remember correctly, you are working extremely hard in college and preparing to enter the ministry. Please tell me if I'm right. I still pray for you almost every day and will continue to.

I'm also using Firefox Release Candidate 2 and Thunderbird's latest release for a mail program. I am extremely happy with both of them. They are very fast and getting more user friendly by the day. The Thunderbird mail program is now rated at the top for safety and speed. Outlook and Outlook Express can't hold a candle to it. Thunderbird also has outstanding spam filters that work great.

Brother, I'm also using Spybot with no problems at all, but I'm not using Adaware. I use Spyware Blaster with it, and I also use Microsoft AntiSpyware. They are all free and great. I also use the top-rated Avast Anti-Virus program which is also free.

Another thing I try to do is keep a current host list with hosts that are known to install hijackers, virus, trojan, and all kinds of other headaches. You use the host file (plain text) to make your computer loop back to itself when one of the bad hosts makes a connection and tries to install the headaches. Again, the host file is fast, extremely efficient, and free. There are numerous places on the net to get current blacklists of hosts that attack, but Spybot comes with a pretty good one that is kept updated, and installation of the host file is pushing one button and rebooting your computer.

Brother, I've talked your arm off, so I'll stop and simply say that you are on my heart and mind every day. If there is ever anything I can do for you, you know how to reach me several ways. In the meantime - KEEP LOOKING UP!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 2:13-17 NASB  When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day -- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2005, 04:53:16 PM »

Hey buddy,

I got firefox release candidate 2 as well. I like the RC 2, but i'll be glad once they get all the kinks worked out and all of my extensions work correctly.I use Avast as well. i also use PeerGuardian 2 for my backdoor ports and it seems to work like a charm in concert with Sygate firewall...i'm actually considering paying money to upgrade it and get the full program. I'm working hard in college and i got a job part time at the computer services department at the college so I can sharpen my computer skills. I've heard bad things about the earlier version of Spybot, but i'm debating on trying it out... right now i'm using opera and i don't have any problem with it, and it actually loads pages very quickly. And i'm about to get rid of this stupid cleartype. Oh yea, RegScrub XP is a great tool for getting rid of useless registry entries. Eh i've been a bit busy at work today so don't worry about it. And if you would like, send me an IM or an e-mail and i'll be glad to talk to ya by phone, i have free nights and weekends so if you or any of the other moderators like Dreamweaver, Pastor Roger, or Bronzesnake want to talk, just give me an IM or e-mail and i'll be glad to talk to ya'll. Have a good one.

Coram Deo,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2005, 12:34:37 AM »

Hello Brother Joshua,

I'll have to check into Peer Guardian. I've not heard of that one.

Check into the Mr. Tech Local Install extension to get rid of most of the compatibility errors while trying to install other extensions. Most of the problems have to do with version or build numbers in the code for installation, and there really isn't a compatibility problem. On the other side of the coin, some of the extensions have not been updated in a long time and won't work at all.

You used to send me copies of sermons you were working on from time to time, so I should be in your address book. It sounds like you are swamped with your current school schedule and working at the same time. I've been there and done that, but it was 40 years ago. Back then, the learning materials were on stone tablets.  Grin

Brother, just hang tough and - KEEP LOOKING UP!

Love in Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 2:19-22 NASB  So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the