Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:40:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bye Internet Explorer & Outlook!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bye Internet Explorer & Outlook!  (Read 11237 times)
seekeraftertruth
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 02:21:06 PM »

Blackeyedpeas........300 baud dial-up???  So there really is someone older than Methuselah?Huh? Tongue

Yes, good point...it is a matter of perception/perspective. Compared to good old "pen & paper," even a 300 baud/300bps dialup would be "superfast!"  Hey, after all, we used to think those "digital led" watches were state-of-the-art, too.....now my WATCH probably has more "computing power" than UNIVAC! [And I know there are pocket calculators with more computing power than UNIVAC!]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 02:22:03 PM by seekeraftertruth » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »

Seeker,

AND, my real computer is an abacus.  Grin

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2005, 03:30:55 PM »

Well, considering that the old and feeble have a tendency to "forget things," here's a little reminder of what things were like in your youth..... just in case you've forgotten many of the amazing uses of the abacus ...... http://www.ee.ryerson.ca:8080/~elf/abacus/

And what is really amazing is that the technology they are working on now will make today's computers and T1/Cable speeds look like slow motion.....imagine computers that operate at just below "light speed!"  Undecided  Can we even comprehend a computer that could operate at, oh, say, 1 Pentabyte/sec.?  [Duhhhh, hey Ethel, I just got mah new 'puter, and it has a 2SquigglyByte hard drive, a 4premieherz processor, and 5FlippybytesRAM...]  Undecided
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2005, 05:05:06 PM »

Seeker,

That was a fascinating link for use of an abacus. I really had no idea.

I was reading your description of future computers and started laughing when I reflected on my first computers. My first hard drive was 10 meg and cost $2,000. A 16K block of ram was about 4" wide, 6" tall, and 3/4" in depth.  If someone had a personal computer with 48K of ram, they had a Cadillac.  I think that first hard drive weighed in at about 40 pounds.  Grin

seekeraftertruth
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2005, 08:46:18 PM »

Check out the price...
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-BRBN_PC_ASUS_VINTAGE
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-BRBN_PC_ASUS_VINTAGE
[Convert "pounds" to dollars at the current exchange rate,
1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds  = 1.82728 USD
United States Dollars.]

More "abacus" as there are different systems.........
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/blue/Abacus.shtml

And the first digital computer...
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/jva/jva-archive.shtml

UNIVAC, by the way, was only good for about 1,000 calculations per second [1kbs].....ok, so maybe dial-up ain't so bad....... http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~csclub/museum/items/univac.html
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 09:32:13 PM by seekeraftertruth » Logged
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 02:28:50 PM »

My biggest beef with Firefox: The posting tools on this forum don't work right, and pasting in from Word changes " to ?.

That's OK - I keep CU open in IE and use Firefox for everything else. Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »

My biggest beef with Firefox: The posting tools on this forum don't work right, and pasting in from Word changes " to ?.

JudgeNot,

Brother, try an excellent little extension program called BBCODE. It's free and on the official extension list for Firefox. It solves that problem and more, and it works like a charm.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Philippians 3:7-14  But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 11:06:32 PM »

Wow - thanks Mr. BEP.  You know - among the things at work that fall under my direct charge is the I.T. department.  You want a job. Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 11:46:14 PM »

Wow - thanks Mr. BEP.  You know - among the things at work that fall under my direct charge is the I.T. department.  You want a job. Smiley

Brother, you are most welcome. Reference the job, I think that I have just enough health left to do what the LORD leads me to do. I think that I will stay happy as long as he uses me for HIM in some way.

Speaking of extensions for Firefox, there are quite a few that are really handy and work great. With them, Firefox will do a lot more than I.E. Sage is a great little extension that grabs news from thousands of sources. The results are in news feed format, and you can click the source to read the entire story. Spellbound is a great little spell checker that works on forums. ForecastFox is an easy way to keep up with weather. Scrapbook is a great little tool to capture, store, and organize things you find of interest in surfing, from email, and just about anything you can click and highlight with a mouse. Holler if there is something else you want to do with Firefox.

Reference the I.T. position, hire a Linux guru and send Bill Gates a sympathy card after you get everything switched over.  Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 17:15  As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2005, 02:59:50 PM »

JudgeNot, i'm not sure what you mean by posting tools etc but if you mean changing fonts and colours etc, then their is an excellent firefox extension called BBCode. I use it a lot of the time on forums.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/showlist.php?application=firefox&numpg=10&pageid=5

Of course if this isn't what you meant, then please accept my apoliges

Phylter

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2005, 11:01:38 PM »

I've noticed some posts from people having serious problems with Firefox. My advice is to completally uninstall any Mozilla related software ex. Firefox, Firebird, Thunderbird, and Mozilla itself if installed. Once you have everything uninstalled try installing just Firefox itself fresh. Try it out and then work in reinstalling the rest. I do not advise using Firebird with Firefox on the same system. They all use the same code and can sometimes conflict from older versions to newer versions. This will probably not work with character conversion not transfering correctly but should fix any other serious issues.

For those of you wanting to try linux you should look into Ubuntu http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ . It is fairly easy for new people to install and you can just use add/remove programs to install more software if you so desire. It preinstalls both Thunderbird and Firefox. It also updates automatically (like windows autoupdates) and updates fairly frequently.

The people that make Ubuntu will also send you a free cd if you cannot download and burn your own.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 11:06:31 PM by Phylter » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2005, 01:06:09 AM »

Phylter,

I see this is your first post, so WELCOME TO CHRISTIANS UNITE! I really hope that you enjoy the fellowship here.

I can only speak for myself, but I've had less problems with Firefox than any other browser. The only problem I'm aware of is that Firefox doesn't do some of the things that are specifically for IE, like certain embedded items in web pages. There are many other things that Firefox does that IE doesn't, so I guess that things balance out. For me, Firefox is faster and safer, and I won't be going back to IE.

Thanks for the Linux link.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 5:20-21  Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

livingforthelord

I'm a llama!

View Profile
???
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »

Huh

I have been reading this thread and I do know about these 'open source' things and yes, I would like tohave more security and less crashes by getting rid of ms.  The thing that always puzzled me about them is, if you download all the open sourceware to use but you still have msie, outook and the others; what's the point???  You just further fill up your hard drive and when you try to go to a webpage your machine uses the default ie anyway.

Is it safe to delete the ms stuff without having a backup disk???  An organization gave me a recycled cpu with win2000, msoffice 2000 and no backup disks.  I am afraid this one will crash and I will lose everything that's not backed up but I'm stuck with no money and a cd burner that quit working a few months back.

I strayed from my questions but why have duplicates of everything, and how can you/can you safely Huh get rid of some of the default ms stuff???
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2005, 11:53:23 PM »

Hi livingforthelord,

I see this is your first post so first I would like to welcome you to the forum.

I have a big disk drive so storage is not a problem for me. I personally would not delete the MS programs. There is a way though to change which ones are default and which ones are not.

I am not positive as to how to do that on Win2000. On the Win XP it is located in the Add/Remove Programs folder under the "Set Programs and Defaults" tab. When programs such as FireFox and Thunderbird etc are set as the default program they will be accessed much quicker and you wont have that problem you are talking about either.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2005, 11:54:46 PM »

Hello LivingForTheLord,

First, WELCOME!!!

I sincerely hope that you enjoy Christians Unite.

I am a Firefox user, but I still have Microsoft XP as a system. I could be wrong, but I don't think you can uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer without breaking all kinds of things on the system. If there is a way, I don't know about it. I do know that Firefox can run independent of Microsoft Internet Explorer, but Windows XP still needs Microsoft Internet Explorer. I think that you would actually turn the computer into a door-stop if you tried to take Internet Explorer off of it and still use XP.

If I understand this correctly, Microsoft Internet Explorer supports some sound, graphics, and other functions that other programs use on an XP system.

I hope there is someone else who knows much more that will either verify or deny what I just said. I'm not sure of anything negative happening with the other Microsoft Programs you have in taking them off the system, but I would keep them since you already have them for no money involved. Open Office will definitely work on a system that still has Microsoft Office installed on it. I think that the big thing would be: why would you spend $500 for Microsoft Office when you can get Open Office free - AND, Open Office will make and use Microsoft Compatible documents, spreadsheets, etc. Further, Open Office is much faster on my system, and the output files from Open Office are much smaller.

So - PLEASE - don't start deleting Microsoft programs until you get some advice from someone who really knows what they are doing.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 6:9-10 NASB  Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the