Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286969 Posts in 27571 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Worthy Quote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 129 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Worthy Quote  (Read 258225 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 18, 2006, 05:56:29 PM »

Benjamin Franklin: | Portrait of Ben Franklin
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787 | original manuscript of this speech

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 18, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »

“In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered… do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?” [Constitutional Convention, Thursday June 28, 1787]

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."

In 1787 when Franklin helped found Benjamin Franklin University, it was dedicated as "a nursery of religion and learning, built on Christ, the Cornerstone."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 18, 2006, 05:58:02 PM »

Alexander Hamilton:
• Hamilton began work with the Rev. James Bayard to form the Christian Constitutional Society to help spread over the world the two things which Hamilton said made America great:
(1) Christianity
(2) a Constitution formed under Christianity.
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”

On July 12, 1804 at his death, Hamilton said, “I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.”

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 20, 2006, 06:34:49 PM »

George Washington

“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.” [speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]

"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian" [May 2, 1778, at Valley Forge]

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2006, 06:36:29 PM »

“ I have sinned against heaven and before Thee in thought, word, and deed. I have contemned Thy majesty and holy laws. I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done and committing what I ought not. I have rebelled against the light, despising Thy mercies and judgment, and broken my vows and promise. I have neglected the better things. My iniquities are multiplied and my sins are very great. I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing and desire to be vile in my own eyes as I have rendered myself vile in Thine. I humbly beseech Thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins for the sake of Thy dear Son and only Savior Jesus Christ who came to call not the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Thou gavest Thy Son to die for me.”
[George Washington; from a 24 page authentic handwritten manuscript book dated April 21-23, 1752
William J. Johnson George Washington, the Christian (New York: The Abingdon Press, New York & Cincinnati, 1919), pp. 24-35.]

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »

John Quincy Adams

July 4, 1837

"Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the World, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day. Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday ofthe Savior? That it forms a leading event in the Progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation ofthe Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity and gave to the world the first irrevocable pledge of the fulfillment of the prophecies announced directly from Heaven at the birth of the Saviour and predicted by the greatest of the Hebrew prophets 600 years before."

"I speak as a man of the world to men of the world; and I say to you, Search the Scriptures! The Bible is the book of all others, to be read at all ages, and in all conditions of human life; not to be read in small portions of one or two chapters every day, and never to be intermitted, unless by some overruling necessity."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2006, 07:10:41 PM »

Patrick Henry

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 24, 2006, 01:26:38 AM »

John Dickinson, a signer of the Declaration of Independance said, "To my Creator, I resign myself, humbly confiding in His goodness and in His mercy through Jesus Christ for the events of eternity."

Gabriel Duvall, also a signer of the Declaration of Independance, later a delegate to the Constitutional Convention and an appointee to the Supreme Court said, "I resign my soul into the hands of the Almighty who gave it in humble hopes of his mercy through our Savior Jesus Christ."

John Witherspoon, another signer of the Declaration of Independance, pastor and President of New Jersey College (Princeton University today) said, "I shall entreat ... you in the most earnest manner to believe in Jesus Christ, for there is no salvation in any other" [Acts 4:12] ... f you are not clothed with the spotless robe of His righteousness, you must forever perish."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 26, 2006, 07:54:44 AM »

Amen Pastor Roger,

I was just thinking about how different this country would be had we continued in the steps that the founders fought for. They were not ashamed of JESUS CHRIST, as they mentioned him often. Further, the vast majority of them believed strongly in prayer for guidance of anyone holding a public office.

Today, I know that all Christians should still be praying for our leaders every day, even though many of them don't stand up very often, especially in the things of the LORD. It may also be possible that many of our leaders don't know JESUS CHRIST, so our prayers would be even more important. As we all know, many politicians who profess JESUS CHRIST make themselves targets of the left, and they can expect to be attacked at every turn. So, our Christian politicians are also desperate for our prayers.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 5:13 NASB  "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 28, 2006, 12:28:02 PM »

"I go to the word and learn there
all the characteristics of a child of God;
and after each one of them I write:
this Jesus shall work in me:
I have him to make me to be a child of God."
(taken from THE NEW LIFE, Chapter 8: CHILDREN OF GOD)    Dr. Andrew Murray

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 30, 2006, 11:46:18 PM »

The Gospel has not lost its power; it is just as powerful today as it ever has been. We don’t want any new doctrine. It is still the old Gospel with the old power, the Holy Ghost power; and if the churches will but confess their sins and put them away, and lift the standard instead of pulling it down, and pray to God to lift us all up into a higher and holier life, then the fear of the Lord will come upon the people around us.

D. L. Moody

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 31, 2006, 12:43:51 AM »

A great man people say, you must hear both sides; but if a man should write me a most slanderous letter about my wife, I don’t think I would have to read it; I would tear it up and throw it to the winds. Have I to read all the infidel books that are written, to hear both sides? Have I to take up a book that is slander on my Lord and Master, Who has redeemed me with His blood? Ten thousand times no! I will not touch it.

Dwight Lyman Moody

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 31, 2006, 05:44:57 AM »

Amen Pastor Roger!

I'm just now finding some sources for some old and very beautiful things written by D.L. Moody. I'll have to remember to make a list and share them with you soon. D.L. Moody was a mighty man of God, and God is still using D.L. Moody's writing in a mighty way.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 127:1 NASB  Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 31, 2006, 07:59:25 AM »

I concieve we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world....that the confusions that are and have been among the nations may be overruled by the promoting and speedily bringing in the holy and happy period when the kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be everywhere established. Samuel Adams

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 31, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »

The Lord our God be with us, as He was with our fathers; may He not leave us or forsake us; so that He may incline our hearts to Him, to walk in all His ways...that all peoples of the earth may know that the Lord is God; there is no other. George Bush 41st President

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 129 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the