Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:34:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Faith and works coincide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith and works coincide  (Read 14059 times)
ollie
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2003, 06:39:54 PM »

Colossians 3:23
And whatsoever YE DO, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. 25 But HE THAT DOETH WRONG shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons
ollie
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2003, 06:46:23 PM »

Revelation 22:
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that DO his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. 16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
ollie
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2003, 06:57:42 PM »

Saved by faith, rewarded accordingly as ones works shall be,
blessed by doing His commandments and having right to the tree of life and allowed entry through the gates into the city, the New Jerusalem.

Hallelujah, what a saviour!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2003, 06:59:59 PM by ollie » Logged
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2003, 02:50:36 AM »

Revelation 22:
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that DO his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. 16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Ollie,

On reply #25, you gave us your take on this passage,;

posted by Ollie, reply#25;

Are doing His commandments considered work?
Is doing something necessary to have the right to the tree of life and entrance through the gates into the city, ( New Jerusalem)?

You did good, though on your other posts..I totally concurr with them, except for Reply #47, you are just simply presuming Rev 22:14, reads according to your take on it.

However you do greatly error here..........the doing (work) emphasized, is not for the right, to the tree of life , but evidence of having that right to access the tree of life by virtue of being an heir, of the promise by faith in Christ, and as we have already established,   that faith was a gift by the Grace of God.

Keeping the commandments, is not work at all....it is a privilige... wouldn't you agree??

Revelation 22:14.  Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Little by little, were getting to the truth, that God may be glorified in the end;

Read the margin, of your bible, and you will find the preferreed reading for this verse in the portion you rely for your faith, works,  version of what you keep trying to emphasize.

Its coming, little by little, word by word, precept upon precept, its like pulling teeth, but I know we are making progress, here a little and there a little.

The preferred reading for ;

14  Blessed are they that do his commandments,.....

is,

14  Blessed are those who wash their robes,  .........

there is no need for me, to expound this for you, since if you take the time to research it, you will, understand why the different translation, and it will be a blessing to you..cause you will have found it on your own.

PS  Even the Greek English Lexicon/Interlinear, reads "who wash their robes" at the margin.. as the preferred reading, of this translation.

Neither reading teaches salvation by works but rather works as the fruit and proof of salvation.

Only true believers have access to the tree of life and to the eternal city.

Praise Him..Amen??

Petro
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 03:17:55 AM by Petro » Logged

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2003, 03:50:44 AM »

Jesus Said:

John 6:8.  Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29.  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Jesus Said:

"To him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."Romans 4:5  

"B-E-L-I-E-V-E"  Grin

Amen

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2003, 03:54:05 AM »

A sinner can be brought into right relationship to God (that is, justified, made fit for heaven) by penitently BELIEVING “the record of God’s son.” See 1 John 5:1-13). No sinner has ever been justified by works, for “the grace of God that bringeth salvation” is opposed to works for salvation, even as Romans 11:6 declares, “IF BY GRACE then is it NO MORE OF WORKS, otherwise grace is no more grace…”God the Father has already provided a sufficient life and sacrifice for our sins through His Son Jesus Christ, whom He has raised from the dead. See 1 Peter 2:22-24; 1 Cor. 15:1-5; 2 Cor. 5:21. Here, then, is God’s plan for saving or JUSTIFYING sinners: “This is the work of (singular) of God, that ye BELIEVE on Him Whom He hath sent.” – John 6:29. For “to him that WORKETH NOT, but BELIVETH on Him that justifieth the ungodly, HIS FAITH is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness WITHOUT WORKS.” – Rom. 4:5-6. “For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourself, it is THE GIFT OF GOD: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boars.” – Eph. 2:8-9. Therefore, being JUSTIFIED (declared right) BY FAITH, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”—Rom. 5:1.

Grin

I am with you Brother, Amen

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2003, 10:59:54 AM »

A4C, Bro Love,  I concur, Amen

Jesus made it clear;

Jhn 12
43  He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.

And the Apostle wraps it up, by saying:

Phil 1
29  For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

I post these things, pointing them out (dissecting them as asaph, says, for the sake of my weak brethern, trusting that the scriptures will become their focus and not their works)

God Bless,

Petro
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:03:13 AM by Petro » Logged

ollie
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2003, 02:42:38 PM »

Ollie,

you said;

posted by Ollie,
The work of faith is that which justifies Christians before God and will allow Christians into that final rest.
The work of faith I quoted was that of the Thessalonian church. Paul in addressing the faithful there refered to it as "your work of faith". The work of course being the work of God.

None of the verses, you quoted above are tied to the final sentence , which I posted above for you.

Because they are based on obedience, due to already being saved.
Isn't that the point?

Do you see, the "faith" that justifies, as a gift from God??
It is the work of God and certainly justifies as God wills. The gift is salvation through God's grace.

Rom 10
17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith comes by the hearing of Gods word.

And yet faith cannot be received unless it is given from above,
God's whole plan of redemption and salvation through Jesus Christ is given from HIm.

according to Jesus;  He said;

Mk 4
23  .................. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
24 And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
25 For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.
I cannot reply on this until I studied it in the context of what preceding and postceding verses have to say.

So then the faith that justifies, is it really a work produced by man or God??
Faith is the work of God.

Consider this verse before you answer this question.

Jhn 6
26  Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
28  Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
"Believe on Him whom He hath sent." This is "the work of God".

Is the faith necessary to believe, a gift of God??
No! The faith that believes receives the gift of God, which is salvation through Jesus Christ because of God's grace.

and secondly??

Is the work of faith a work of man,  or of God, who works in those whom God elects to believe, what man cannot believe , on his own,..........
God does not elect one to believe, but rather believing elects one to God.

without God working in him, to "will and do of God's own pleasure"??

Phil 2
13  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
God is present through His Holy Spirit and working in individuals when His will and work is being obeyed and done in that individual. The individual gives himself completely to God and God works through him with His work known through His word which was given by the Holy Spirit.

This is hard to accept, isn't it??
No!

Blessings,

Petro

And to you,
Ollie
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 02:50:39 PM by ollie » Logged
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2003, 03:06:35 PM »

A4C, Bro Love,  I concur, Amen

Jesus made it clear;

Jhn 12
43  He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.

And the Apostle wraps it up, by saying:

Phil 1
29  For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

I post these things, pointing them out (dissecting them as asaph, says, for the sake of my weak brethern, trusting that the scriptures will become their focus and not their works)

God Bless,

Petro

God Bless you Brother  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2003, 05:32:27 PM »

Ollie,

It is a given fact that those whom believe God, are the elect, this is undeniable.

On the other hand, the elect are those, whom the angel referred to when he said to Joseph;

Mat 1
21  .................and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

And, who are his people except them who are given unto Him, of the Father.

you said;

God does not elect one to believe, but rather believing elects one to God.

I don't know what you mean by this.., but one can see clearly that for the sake of Christ, even to believe on HIM, is given on the behalf of Christ.

Phil 1
29  For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for his sake;

And finally, Paul says this about the elect of Christ;

Tituts 1
1  Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 Th 2
13  ................................, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

I have focused in on the verses, which show, without a shadow of a  doubt, that the elect have been chosen by Grace, thru faith, which is a workd and gift of God, who gives and equips every believer in Him, with everything He needs to be saved, even the belief which is necessary to apprehend the truth.

That God, might be glorified in all things..

Amen??

God Bless,

Petro

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2003, 04:08:19 AM »

I have focused in on the verses, which show, without a shadow of a  doubt, that the elect have been chosen by Grace, thru faith, which is a workd and gift of God, who gives and equips every believer in Him, with everything He needs to be saved, even the belief which is necessary to apprehend the truth.

That God, might be glorified in all things..

Amen??

God Bless,

Petro
---------------------------------------------

YES!!!! Amen

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2003, 10:59:39 AM »

Hey Bro Love,

Sorry I got you and Wreck n Sow, confused on the other thread, sometimes it happens, when my right side of my brain, shuts down, anyhow I corrected that.

Actually, I find it disconcerting, that Christians, could confess Jesus, and in the same sentence,  reject His blood as covering all of their sins.

I actually amazes me.

Either the blood of Jesus, is sufficient to cover for all of ones sin, once and forever or not.

I thought this is what Christians are supposed to believe??

If He's blood is not sufficient to cover all of the Christians sins.  Then someone is not telling the truth.

And it is evident it is not Jesus.

Amazingly, they say, Jesus is their savior and died for their sins, but believe otherwise.

Since they make it clear, that if they sin, they can die the eternal death.  This teaching is not scriptural, but it affects the majority of those who claim to be Christians, today.

It is the greatest deception, and the teaching is right out of the pit, reminds me of Mat 13:22.  Thank God it is not possible.

This, Prevents them from living a victorious life, in the spirit.

It is quite sobering to see and understand and believe, that one didn't , better yet couldn't do anything to come to God of himself, because of the condition sin found him in; only when one sees himself completely helpless, and without hope, can these points be understood.

Deception is such, that people can actually believe they are known by Jesus, and that they even do works for Him, in His name no less, this is clear according Mat 7:21-23, and their end is that of all unbelievers.

This is the reason, why we need to share the Gospel even with them, who claim to be believers, but embrace what is not the truth of the Gosple, and allow themselves to be seduced by these who teach such things.

God Bless,

Petro

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2003, 12:49:10 PM »

Hey Bro Love,

Sorry I got you and Wreck n Sow, confused on the other thread, sometimes it happens, when my right side of my brain, shuts down, anyhow I corrected that.

Actually, I find it disconcerting, that Christians, could confess Jesus, and in the same sentence,  reject His blood as covering all of their sins.

I actually amazes me.

Either the blood of Jesus, is sufficient to cover for all of ones sin, once and forever or not.

I thought this is what Christians are supposed to believe??

If He's blood is not sufficient to cover all of the Christians sins.  Then someone is not telling the truth.

And it is evident it is not Jesus.

Amazingly, they say, Jesus is their savior and died for their sins, but believe otherwise.

Since they make it clear, that if they sin, they can die the eternal death.  This teaching is not scriptural, but it affects the majority of those who claim to be Christians, today.

It is the greatest deception, and the teaching is right out of the pit, reminds me of Mat 13:22.  Thank God it is not possible.

This, Prevents them from living a victorious life, in the spirit.

It is quite sobering to see and understand and believe, that one didn't , better yet couldn't do anything to come to God of himself, because of the condition sin found him in; only when one sees himself completely helpless, and without hope, can these points be understood.

Deception is such, that people can actually believe they are known by Jesus, and that they even do works for Him, in His name no less, this is clear according Mat 7:21-23, and their end is that of all unbelievers.

This is the reason, why we need to share the Gospel even with them, who claim to be believers, but embrace what is not the truth of the Gosple, and allow themselves to be seduced by these who teach such things.

God Bless,

Petro

Hi Petro, good message Brother, AMEN!

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2003, 01:34:26 PM »

Hey all

EPH.2  [8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:[9] Not of works,
lest any man should boast.[10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I really dont understand. If you choose to leave off verse 10, will it come to pass as you stand before HIM on the last day that HE to will ignore it also? Maybe i just do not get it! Maybe you can pick and choose 1 line out of the bible and make a doctrine contrary to the rest of the WORD. But for those of us who believe the whole WORD of God, what are these good works that God has given us to walk in?

PSALM 78  [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.[2] I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:[3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
[4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.[5] For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:[6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:[7] That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:[8] And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.[9] The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle.[10] They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law;[11] And forgat his works, and his wonders that he had shewed them.

Who opened HIS mouth in a parable? Who established a testimony in Jacob? JESUS CHRIST.

That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments
They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law

THE WORKS OF GOD THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN
EPH.2 [10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2003, 04:04:55 PM »

St. Paul, in his epistle to the Romans, refers to those who
receive "the abundance of grace" and "the gift of righteous-
ness" (Rom. 5:17) which God in love bestows upon all who
trust in His Son for salvation.

The Bible declares that no man can ever stand uncon-
demned in the sight of God, the Judge of all, unless he re-
ceives righteousness as the gift of God’s grace.

Quoting from the Psalms, the Apostle says in Rom. 3:10;
"It is written, There is none righteous, no, not one." This is
why Paul pitied those who continued to go about "to estab-
lish their own righteousness" (Rom. 10:3). He knew that
their struggle was utterly futile, that they needed to be
saved (See Ver. 1).

Let us thank God that the Lord Jesus Christ took the
condemnation and judgment of our sins upon Himself at
Calvary so that His righteousness might be imputed to us
by grace through faith. Regarding Abraham’s justification
before God, the Apostle says: "What saith the Scripture?
Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for right-
eousness" (Rom. 4:3).

Abraham’s justification, of course, was based on the fact
that Christ was to die for sin, but Christ’s death is now
past; it is an historical fact. Thus righteousness is now
proclaimed through Christ and offered to all as a gift.
"While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Rom. 5:Cool.
"God hath made Him to be sin for us... that we might be
made the righteousness of God in Him" (II Cor. 5:21).

But we must receive this righteousness as a gift, for "to
him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the
ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Rom. 4:5).

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the