Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:14:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Speaking in Tongues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking in Tongues  (Read 5079 times)
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 04:10:25 AM »

I don"t want to brag you up .But you are wise to see this .I fear reading many things ,because it is so easy to get ,messed up with a great deal of things .as one site ,I go too ?THEY have a book of greek meanings that changes the words to mean something really different .like sick is devil .as they do not believe in demons .they believe they go in the ground and stay there .no spirits .Just lots of funny thoughts .They were hard to reach as the words of the BIBLE had different meaning .NO way to talk with people like that .But one guy did listen and went bacvk in telling the TRUTH .I loved that .HE e mailed me and said HE danced before the LORD for hours and was old too .We are ONE .We aLl have a plasce in the body if we are born again .WE need each other .SOON OUR SAVIOR will return .Then our work will be done .BLESS YOU BROTHER MAY YOU GROW MIGHTY IN OUR LORD

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2004, 04:12:11 AM »

Click on the link below to read the best article on “tongues” I have ever read. It’s title is "I Speak in Tongues More Than You All"

http://users.bigpond.net.au/joeflorence/tongues.html

Here is a quote from the article:

“If the reading of this treatise precisely dealing with the gift of tongues has left so much as 1% of doubt in your mind, let me approach you on your favorite ground, that of experience itself. But as I do so, I tremble for fear that you will not be honest with yourself and with God. Try this experience for yourself and by yourself. Do it without cheating. Sometime when you are alone and in prayer, tape what you say in tongues before God. You believe that this gift has not been removed and that you genuinely possess it. That is your right, but you must also accept that your brother's gift of interpretation is as authentic as your gift. Choose several of the most spiritual Christians whom you know and in whom you have complete confidence. Ask each one separately to interpret your speaking in tongues. After taping all of them, listen and compare them for yourself, if you have the courage to do so. Within a few words or shades of meaning, each interpretation should say the same thing. Then you can tell me if I exaggerate when I use the word counterfeit. I can imagine what you are feeling as you read these lines. You are disturbed. You may be afraid; afraid to discover the truth. And already you are backing off. You know that you will probably never try this "test". Your heart has already found a good excuse to talk you out of it, but your excuse will convince no one but yourself " It would be sacreligious to put a gift of the Spirit to such an electronic test. I will not stoop to it." Are you sure that this is a good excuse? Under other circumstances you would not hesitate to tape a message, to listen to it yourself and even pass it along to someone else. Or is it the fear of discovering the truth about yourself that makes you hesitate? Here is a way to test the spirits and it is available to you. Besides, electronics is an exact science, and quite neutral. It could never trick you or trick itself. But maybe you would rather be tricked and stay that way. You might be angry with me. I can understand that. You are angry with me for proposing a means of verification that is infallible. The pat answer that "no one understands" is of no help now. Your game of hide-and-seek is over and you have been found out. It took me a long time, but at last I saw the light.”

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2004, 04:28:21 AM »

Here is another good quote from the article:

“Pharaoh also

Experiences! Pharaoh had all he could want of them. His magicians changed water to blood, multiplied frogs, and changed staffs into snakes (Exodus 7). It was true. It was genuine. True also were the experience and testimony of the women in Jeremiah 44:17,18 who claimed, "When we burned incense to the Queen of Heaven, we had plenty of food and were well off and suffered no harm. But ever since we stopped burning incense to the Queen of Heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have had nothing and have been perishing by sword and famine..." Who can beat that? But what determines if something is true or false, our personal testimony or the Word of God? When God declares that he who speaks in tongues does not address men, must we renounce this part of God's Word or the testimony contradicting this Word? I was forced to make a choice between "experience" and the Bible. It was not easy, but I finally chose to side with the Scriptures and against these pseudo-testimonies. It is up to you who are reading these lines to make your own choice.

Not to Men but to God (I Cor 14:2)

From there it was relatively easy to pass from doctrine to verification. With my mania to check out everything with the Scriptures, the opportunity was soon to be found. The guinea pig turned out to be one of my best friends, an enthusiastic pastor who invited me to preach several messages in his church. He told me about a woman in the church who, in a private conversation with him, had spoken in tongues. "In what she said," he explained, "I discerned a message for myself." The opportunity was ideal. I simply asked him, "How do you reconcile the idea of a message addressed to you personally with the biblical statement that 'For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men, but to God'? (I Cor 14:2) You are not God." It was like hitting him over the head. He was without a reply. He had just discovered a text that he had never seen before, or that he had never taken time to examine. I was embarrassed and felt sorry for him. I didn't tell him that these tongues addressed to men smelled of sulfur. I didn't tell him either that it was a trick or a hoax. I let him find out for himself that he was up against an obvious counterfeit. Everyone knows that, counterfeiting in other areas is liable to punishment. Is it less serious in spiritual things?

What should we think of all these experiences of tongues which express a prophecy or an exhortation or a revelation-that is to say, a message to men, and which are, therefore, in open contradiction to the teaching of the Holy Spirit? How can we fail to recognize that they are counterfeits? Another friend, also pastor of an Assembly of God church, understood this truth and asked his church to apply it. He and his church were expelled from the denomination to which they belonged. When I mentioned this to another pastor friend, he did not seem very surprised. He was aware of the problem. He told me, "When this teaching of Paul began to circulate in our assemblies it was a veritable bomb. We could not accept it because we would have had to admit that all that happened in our Assemblies was FALSE." In other words, in order to make error seem as true as possible it should not be stopped! Tradition often takes priority over the Word of God. The history of the Church through the centuries demonstrates this in a humiliating and painful way.”

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2004, 04:31:30 AM »

Pilgrim, do you have the gift of tongues?

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2004, 04:36:14 AM »

I must have! Every time I speak I use my tongue.

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2004, 04:39:14 AM »

I must have! Every time I speak I use my tongue.

Pilgrim

LOL, You have made my day Grin Grin Grin

<Smiley))><
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2004, 04:44:47 AM »

Hello Brother Love,

Did you read the quotes from the article below? If yes, what did you think?

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2004, 05:09:56 AM »

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the