Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Speaking in Tongues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking in Tongues  (Read 5081 times)
No Gray Areas

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:42:44 AM »

I was born again into a Pentecostal Church, I have been working my way back to a main stream Church. I was wondering about speaking in tongues, I read somewhere on this site someone said that was when I spoke in tongues now I know better.
I have never spoken in tongues as the Pentecostal Church members told me to practice tongues, I thought it was a gift?

Suz

No Gray Areas
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:12:16 AM »

If you want to end up like Larry Lee, Robert Tilton, BENNY HINN, Jimmy Swaggert, you need to practice for the show Grin

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 08:24:58 AM »

I will guarantee you this. Speaking in tongues will not save you. Nor is it a requirement in order to be born again. Those who say that one must show evidence of speaking in tongues in order to be saved are completely erring on exactly what Salvation is. It is false because it is saying that one must speak in tongues in order to be a Child of God. I must say this is not Scriptural...any serious student of the Word will know that not everyone is given the same gifts. Some are given the gift of teaching, some the gift of preaching, and so on. So to say that in order to be saved one has to speak in tongues...this is erroneous and dangerous. Also, they may contend that you've not be baptised with the Holy Spirit. This is false because it completely disregards Ephesians 1:13 where it says wherein when you first believed, you were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. This Holy Spirit of promise was the great Comforter that Jesus promised that He would send. So no, you do not have to practice speaking in tongues. What use is it to try to practice something that could very well not be your gift? I don't try to practice tongues because it simply is not my gift. and Why should I have to practice learning something if God has enabled me to use it for His glory. David didn't have to learn how to sling a stone to kill Goliath...He just did what God told Him to do and God showed him how to do it. See our strength and our wisdom comes from God, this even includes our gifts. For they are just that. GIFTS from God. When you were born again you were given gifts. Now they may or may not be tongues, that you have to find out on your own and ask God's guidance on it. If He is silent...then I wouldn't go trying to use a gift that God's not given me. I say all this because i've come under 'attack' by pentacostals who think that one must speak in tongues in order to be 'baptised' with the Holy Spirit. This is not a requirement for having the Holy Spirit within you. When you are born again, you are sealed with the Holy Spirit, that is He is within your heart. You don't have to do a thing in order to be baptised with the Holy Spirit, other than accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. that's just my two cents worth. Take it as you wish...but I hope that God will show you what He says in His Word on this subject. And I hope i don't sound condescending or anything, but this is one subject that could be very dangerous if one does not know what the Word says about it. I hope this post finds you in God's Will and His grace. God Bless.

In His Service,
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 10:33:45 AM »

Speaking in tongues is a gift. When i first accepted Christ as my saviour at the age of 12 i could speak in tongues when the holy spirit came into me (Christ). It's a prayer language between you and God. Chapter 12 in 1 Corinthians talks about different gifts and tongues and Chapter 14 in
1 Corinthians. Dont let anyone tell you any different, If you desire to speak in tongues keep praying and anoint yourself with oil or possibly fasting and God will hear your prayers and grant them for you.

Michael
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:20:56 PM »

Speaking in tongues is a gift. When i first accepted Christ as my saviour at the age of 12 i could speak in tongues when the holy spirit came into me (Christ). It's a prayer language between you and God. Chapter 12 in 1 Corinthians talks about different gifts and tongues and Chapter 14 in
1 Corinthians. Dont let anyone tell you any different, If you desire to speak in tongues keep praying and anoint yourself with oil or possibly fasting and God will hear your prayers and grant them for you.

Michael

Sure Grin

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »

Michael

Chapter 13 also discusses it. Chapter 13 is one of the most important one to read on this.

In your last statement.... Are you saying that if you don't do this that he won't hear me and/or won't answer my prayers?

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 03:58:27 PM »

on my last statement i am not implying that if you dont do those things that God wont hear your prayers. God hears our prayers regardless.

Michael
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 07:11:01 PM »

I think if you do some research on what tongues is today in the Word of Faith/Full Gospel/Pentecostal/Charismatic movement - you will discover that it is not of God.  

There is no scripture to support a personal prayer language.

Tongues was given so that the disciples could preach the gospel message to nations and be understood by speaking the language of that particular nationality - it was a gift, not a right.

Each instance of tongues coming to believers in the book of Acts is within context of preaching the gospel.  Even the initial utterances were to praise God, thereby confirming the Gospel message.

I would urge those who believe they are speaking a godly language do some real research on the roots of this thing - the leaders who started it in this country were deniers of the Deity of Jesus.  It is another gospel.

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 08:02:43 PM »

I agree that God does bestow us all with different gifts. I Corinthians chapters 12 through 14 tells us that speaking in tongues is a lesser gift as it does not benefit God that frequently. Three whole chapters was devoted to this subject because the church it was written to put to great an emphasis on the speaking in tongues instead of what is really important. It is more important to be able to prophesy or to be able to understand the Word of God. It is most important to have charity.

1Co 14:14  For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

The three most important things:

1Co 13:13  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity here is not the present day meaning of it, the giving of material things to a needy organisation. The meaning of Charity here is LOVE. God's love for us, our love for God, our love for our brothers and our enemies.

The other gifts will pass away and be of no importance when Jesus returns. But charity will never pass.

1Co 13:8  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

I will stick with charity and the seeking of understanding.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 11:37:16 PM »

Scriptures dont really say it's a lesser gift but it's an equal gift with others such as verse 8-11 in 1 Corinthians. For to one is given the word and of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits to another different kinds of tongues to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Speaking in tongues benefits us in the spiritual realm but will benefit us even more if we pray for interpertation of the tongue.

Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows twhat the mind of the Spirit is because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

"For he that speaks in a tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him; however in the Spirit he speaks mysteries." I Cor. 14:2

"I want for you all to speak with tongues..." I Cor. 14:5

and verse 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself but he who prophesies edifies the church.

"Praying in the Spirit at all times with every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere in supplication for all the saints." Eph. 6:18
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.  So what shall I do? I will pray with the spirit, but I will also pray with the mind; I will sing with the spirit, but I will also sing with the mind.  Else if you bless in the spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say 'Amein' to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?  For indeed you give thanks excellently, but the other is not built up.   I thank my God I speak in tongues more than all of you." I Cor. 14:14-18

What is awesome is that Christ said speaking in tongues will continue all the way into the future of our generation in Acts chapter 2:18-20

Even after the the pouring of the Holy Spirit, of the apostles in Acts it did not stop there but went on to other peoples.
Acts 2:39--"For the promise is to YOU AND to YOUR CHILDREN, AND to ALL who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." The HOLY SPIRIT is promised to ALL.

Acts 2:39--"For the promise is to YOU AND to YOUR CHILDREN, AND to ALL who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." The HOLY SPIRIT is promised to ALL.

Acts 10:44--"While Peter was still speaking these words, the HOLY SPIRIT fell upon ALL those who heard the word." This was the Roman centurion Cornelius (a Believer). He and everyone who heard Peter were FILLED with the HOLY SPIRIT and SPOKE IN TONGUES.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 12:38:58 AM »

1Co 14:14  For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15  What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

The greatest gift is Salvation through Jesus Christ (charity).

I will stick with charity and the seeking of understanding.

felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 01:01:21 AM »

Scriptures dont really say it's a lesser gift but it's an equal gift with others such as verse 8-11 in 1 Corinthians. For to one is given the word and of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits to another different kinds of tongues to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Speaking in tongues benefits us in the spiritual realm but will benefit us even more if we pray for interpertation of the tongue.

Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows twhat the mind of the Spirit is because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

"For he that speaks in a tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him; however in the Spirit he speaks mysteries." I Cor. 14:2

"I want for you all to speak with tongues..." I Cor. 14:5

and verse 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself but he who prophesies edifies the church.

"Praying in the Spirit at all times with every prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert and always persevere in supplication for all the saints." Eph. 6:18
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.  So what shall I do? I will pray with the spirit, but I will also pray with the mind; I will sing with the spirit, but I will also sing with the mind.  Else if you bless in the spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say 'Amein' to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying?  For indeed you give thanks excellently, but the other is not built up.   I thank my God I speak in tongues more than all of you." I Cor. 14:14-18

What is awesome is that Christ said speaking in tongues will continue all the way into the future of our generation in Acts chapter 2:18-20

Even after the the pouring of the Holy Spirit, of the apostles in Acts it did not stop there but went on to other peoples.

Acts 10:44--"While Peter was still speaking these words, the HOLY SPIRIT fell upon ALL those who heard the word." This was the Roman centurion Cornelius (a Believer). He and everyone who heard Peter were FILLED with the HOLY SPIRIT and SPOKE IN TONGUES.

Brother, speaking in tongues is a lesser gift in the church. You even quoted the scripture that indicate why. It edifies you but not other people. You quoted scripture but you left it out of context..."For anyone who speaks in tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. BUT everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort. He who speaks in tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies teh church." (1 cor 14)

also..."If I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or phophecy or word of instruction?" 1 cor 14:6

I believe that speaking in tongues will only benefit you and believers because it makes the presence of the holy spirit very apparent. It will do nothing for a non-believer because they will not understand it- as the apostle Paul explains. It would be more useful if one could interpret it.

I've spoken in tongues before...all that happened was my mouth was moving and when I breathed out it would make noises that I didnt understand. You know the presence of the holy spirit is there. Before this I had never spoken in tongues. This only occured when I visited this one church. After each song a lot of the people in the room were speaking in tongues. After a few songs the speaking in tongues seemed to 'bounce' off people and onto me. I was excited at the time. However, I found a problem with this church. The church was filled with the spirit but there was a great lack of knowledge. It felt as if the people came to church only to participate in the experience, but learned nothing from the word of truth; so these people were in fact, not growing as Christians. I believe this was a problem that a church in Paul's time was facing and Paul addressed the church on this problem (1 cor).

Speaking in tongues is a great manifestation of the Holy Spirit however it does not greatly affect us. What is ironic is that the Holy Spirit most greatly moves us in times we least suspect it, in the most subtle ways. It is while we are driving and contemplating a recent problem we have had; a verse from the bible might pop up into our minds and we feel the peace of resolution. It is here where we overlook the work of the Holy Spirit but of whose work most greatly affects our spiritual life. It is not speaking in tongues where we are awed by the presence of the Holy Sprit; during this time, the Holy Spirit does not do much for others or us.

For No Gray Areas,
Your thinking is right. You should introduce that thought to the Church. You are not suppose to "practice" speaking in tongues; it is something given to you by God. Thus, if you practice it then it is not real. I do not know the church but it should be known that speaking in tongues will not make you grow as a christian, it is the study of the word. Bible studies and the pastor's sermons are more important. You should not practice some gift of God, you should seek what God has given you as part of your ministry. The church should know that this is more important.

Oh yes...and the very most important thing is Love. Nothing is more important. Practicing love is the easiet thing to do yet I find more people aiming to speak in tongues, share wisdom, perform miraculous healings, prophesize, and perform other gifts than practice something that is easier and still conquers all: Love. The reason we need gifts is because Love has not been perfected yet.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 01:07:47 AM by felix102 » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:08:06 AM »

felix102

AMEN!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 01:11:19 AM »

Sulphurdolphin,

You quote a partial scripture, I Cor 14:5 as reading "I want for you all to speak with tongues..."

Which version of the "bible" did you get that from?

No Gray Areas

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 03:54:32 AM »

Thanks for all the comments, I do believe I had better do more study as I'm still somewhat confused, but you all have given somethings to chew over.

God Bless

Suz

No Gray Areas
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the