Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Speaking in Tongues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking in Tongues  (Read 5080 times)
Sulfurdolphin

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 11:30:33 AM »

Hi Pastor Rogers I got it from a website

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/God/prayer/tongues.html

At the end it says the Author used the King James Version.

The link is not working to look at the online version for King James.

I do know that most versions say ( I WISH) instead of
( I WANT)

Michael Smiley
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 12:17:16 PM »

The KJV says, in full:

1Co 14:5  I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

It has nothing to do with want, And as the rest of the sentence tells us Paul would rather that we were able to prophesy. For isn't it better to do what is of benefit to all and not just one?

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
headbowed2him

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 07:48:05 PM »

"If you do nto understand it, please do not attack it but instead educate yourself."
                                    -My message to every conservative   Christian I have ever met
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 08:14:59 AM »

If you want to do something that's not of God, quit now, because you'll be miserable"

If you want to try to learn a gift of God quit now, because different gifts are given to different people so they can minister effectively in His kingdom, not to waste time trying to learn a gift one does not have

-my message to every liberal Christian who may not take the time to do the in-depth study of doctrine

Grin
Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
headbowed2him

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 12:47:36 AM »

Quote from: Jemidon2004
-my message to every liberal Christian who may not take the time to do the in-depth study of doctrine

Grin
Joshua
[quote

Doctrine: The cause of insiquition, the crusades, the witch trials, Christ's death, and even the modern church refusing healings.
Take note: I am a liberal Christian, not a Liberal Demorcrat (just in case I confused you)
Oh and yes, you are right you can not learn any gift.  Nor can any but the Holy Spirit give any gift.
But once given you can learn how to use it and follow it with faith.

BUT to refuse any gift is to refuse God's presence and/or the accuracy of  his word.
(Because his word plainly says it)
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 11:54:50 AM »

How refreshing it has been to read these posts on tongues. I have had many disagreements with Christians over the years on this gift, Christians who believe that once we are born again, speaking in Tongues is evidence of this.
As so many of you have already mentioned, it is One of many gifts. If we all had the same gifts where would the body be? We all have different gifts which when placed together makes up the body of Christ. As Paul said himself in 1 Corinthians 12, all Christians with there individual gifts make up the body.
I feel that many in today's church are believing and teaching others that if you do not speak in Tongues then something is missing in your walk with the Lord.

Do i speak in tongues? No i don't

Does it worry me? Not in the slightest. If God was going to bless me with this particular gift, he would have done so.

Do i feel any less saved? I'll let you guess the answer to that one  Smiley

God Bless
Joey
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 12:16:52 PM »

How refreshing it has been to read these posts on tongues. I have had many disagreements with Christians over the years on this gift, Christians who believe that once we are born again, speaking in Tongues is evidence of this.
As so many of you have already mentioned, it is One of many gifts. If we all had the same gifts where would the body be? We all have different gifts which when placed together makes up the body of Christ. As Paul said himself in 1 Corinthians 12, all Christians with there individual gifts make up the body.
I feel that many in today's church are believing and teaching others that if you do not speak in Tongues then something is missing in your walk with the Lord.

Does it worry me? Not in the slightest. If God was going to bless me with this particular gift, he would have done so.

God Bless
Joey

Well said. I do not speak in tongues either. This does not mean that in some future situation that we won't do so. It is up to Him and what suits His needs at the time.

It is when a person seeks and tries to practice a gift that was not truly given to them (mostly as a show to other people that "Look at me, I'm saved because I speak in tongues" attitude) that it becomes against scriptural teachings. If  it doesn't suit the purpose of God then it isn't of God. That is the reason God through the Holy Spirit gives us special gifts, that we may serve Him better, not to better serve ourselves.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 12:27:53 PM »

God Bless
Joey

Well said. I do not speak in tongues either. This does not mean that in some future situation that we won't do so. It is up to Him and what suits His needs at the time.

It is when a person seeks and tries to practice a gift that was not truly given to them (mostly as a show to other people that "Look at me, I'm saved because I speak in tongues" attitude) that it becomes against scriptural teachings. If  it doesn't suit the purpose of God then it isn't of God. That is the reason God through the Holy Spirit gives us special gifts, that we may serve Him better, not to better serve ourselves.

Amen!  To you too Joshua!   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 04:57:23 PM »

As for many things of the SPIRIT of vGOD .I have went though long periods of noy understanding .Now ?I was always carful not to judge these things .But none of them have anything to do with salvation ?Except being bORN AGAIN . WE MUST HAVE ! But I would say ,seek all the TRUTH you can ?ASK the HOLY SPIRIT to reveal all too YOU .AS this is part of HIS MAIN JOB ON EARTH .AND HE GLADLY WILL SHOW YOU THIS .AND ANYTHING ELSE ON EARTH THAT IS GOOD .HE WILL WITH HOLD ?NOTHING GOOD FROM YOU .HE IS SO VALUABLE .beyond what YOU MAY understand .Can teach you anything or show you anything !I know this to be TRUE .

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2004, 01:36:40 AM »

amen

gary, can you share with us how you know this to be true? I would like to hear if it is not too much trouble for you.
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2004, 03:21:32 AM »

Tongues are real .There are different kinds .Very dangerous to judge the HOLY SPIRIT and the WORK ,HE does .We judge quickly and in some cases very foolishly .It is better to say nothing as to judge ,Wrong .For sure of the things of the HOLY SPIRIT

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
Jesusinme

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2004, 08:43:51 AM »

My friend shared a testimony with me about the gift of tounges. She was street witnessing and was met with a woman who spoke spanish, all of a sudden my friend was sharing the gospel with her in Spanish, a language she had never spoken, or has since.
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2004, 09:38:32 AM »

well felix .I have taken jobs ,I knew nothing about .HE TAUGHT me so good .Others thought I went to coolege .I have had things taken .HE has led me to it and given it back and revealed who took it .HE has healed me many times .HE has revealed the TRUTH TO ME .And tells me things I need to know .SO many things .HIS JOB ON EARTH IS TO TEACH US EVERYTHING WE WILL LET HIM AND TO LIFT OF JESUS CHRIST .ALSO WE RECIEVE ALL THE SPIRITUAL GIFTS FROM HIM .
AND I WOULD SAY ?GOD HAS NO BAD GIFTS !SEEK ALL YOU CAN RECIEVE .BECAUSE this is the problem ?WE DO NOT SEEK and tell the HOLY SPIRIT we desire all HE HAS FOR US .BECAUSE we must open my mouth and tell HIM ?WE WILL RECIEVE .THEN BELIEVE .HE WILL FORCE NOTHING ON YOU .YOU MUST BE WILLING TO ACCEPT .HE SPEAKS TO US IN OUR MIND .BECAUSE being a spirit ?and us being a spirit .THIS IS THE WAY .WE RECIEVE AND UNDERSTAND .WE ARE CONFUSED ?THINKING THE FLESH is more than it is .JESUS CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SPIRIT !NOT OUR FLESH .OUR FLESH IS NOT EVEN A FRIEND TO JESUS CHRIST .IT IS A TOOL FOR US TO CONTROL OUR SOUL IS OUR MIND .IT MUST BE TAUGHT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT TO RECIEVE THE THINGS OF GODS SPIRIT .BUT YOU JUST ASK AND BELIEVE .YOU WILL RECIEVE ?ANYTHING GOOD .HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ON THIS EARTH AND HEAVEN .THESE ARE YOURS TO KNOW .WHEN YOU CAN RECIEVE THEM .YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE TAUGHT OF ANY MAN .YOUR FATHER WILL GLADLY TEACH YOU .BECAUSE THE JUST LIVE BY FAITH .WE ARE MUCH MORE THAN WE KNOW ?BUT WE ARE BABYS AT 1ST ?THEN GROW IN THE LORD as when we were babys in the flesh .HE CAN NOT REVEAL EVERYTHING AT ONCE .YOU COULD NOT HANDLE IT .THERE IS MUCH TO SAY ?BUT THIS IS A GOOD START ?

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2004, 12:49:37 PM »

THE CHARISMATIC MOVEMENT – THEN AND NOW

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1377

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 03:57:00 AM »

well felix .I have taken jobs ,I knew nothing about .HE TAUGHT me so good .Others thought I went to coolege .I have had things taken .HE has led me to it and given it back and revealed who took it .HE has healed me many times .HE has revealed the TRUTH TO ME .And tells me things I need to know .SO many things .HIS JOB ON EARTH IS TO TEACH US EVERYTHING WE WILL LET HIM AND TO LIFT OF JESUS CHRIST .ALSO WE RECIEVE ALL THE SPIRITUAL GIFTS FROM HIM .
AND I WOULD SAY ?GOD HAS NO BAD GIFTS !SEEK ALL YOU CAN RECIEVE .BECAUSE this is the problem ?WE DO NOT SEEK and tell the HOLY SPIRIT we desire all HE HAS FOR US .BECAUSE we must open my mouth and tell HIM ?WE WILL RECIEVE .THEN BELIEVE .HE WILL FORCE NOTHING ON YOU .YOU MUST BE WILLING TO ACCEPT .HE SPEAKS TO US IN OUR MIND .BECAUSE being a spirit ?and us being a spirit .THIS IS THE WAY .WE RECIEVE AND UNDERSTAND .WE ARE CONFUSED ?THINKING THE FLESH is more than it is .JESUS CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SPIRIT !NOT OUR FLESH .OUR FLESH IS NOT EVEN A FRIEND TO JESUS CHRIST .IT IS A TOOL FOR US TO CONTROL OUR SOUL IS OUR MIND .IT MUST BE TAUGHT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT TO RECIEVE THE THINGS OF GODS SPIRIT .BUT YOU JUST ASK AND BELIEVE .YOU WILL RECIEVE ?ANYTHING GOOD .HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ON THIS EARTH AND HEAVEN .THESE ARE YOURS TO KNOW .WHEN YOU CAN RECIEVE THEM .YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE TAUGHT OF ANY MAN .YOUR FATHER WILL GLADLY TEACH YOU .BECAUSE THE JUST LIVE BY FAITH .WE ARE MUCH MORE THAN WE KNOW ?BUT WE ARE BABYS AT 1ST ?THEN GROW IN THE LORD as when we were babys in the flesh .HE CAN NOT REVEAL EVERYTHING AT ONCE .YOU COULD NOT HANDLE IT .THERE IS MUCH TO SAY ?BUT THIS IS A GOOD START ?

Amen Gary.

There is no doubt the Holy Spirit is at work in you.

Brother Love,
I went to that link. I disagree with it. I implore you to not find MANs' work absolute. Just because something is written in a well established article does not make it absolutely true. The author was a man so why do you regard it differently to any other man's comment? Humans can make mistakes. This is when we lean on our own understandings.

In that article the author is trying to compromise things of today with the things in the past using references to the bible -ALL THE WHILE IGNORING CONTEXTS FROM THE VERSES HE QUOTES (such as Cor 13:Cool. This is the prime example of someone leaning on their own understanding...trying to reconcile the word with what they believe. I cannot judge the entire work, but from this alone I think this is right to say.

I know you are concerned with truth in the word; that is a very good intent. But brother, even the KJV and every single bible version out there is translated by MAN. There is debate over which manuscripts were translated and how smart the men that translated them were (KJV has arguably been translated by the best competant men and best manuscripts), but it is and ONLY is the Holy Spirit who teaches us the things from God. Jesus did not leave us as orphans, He gave us the Holy Spirit! Rightly dividing the word is accomplished when the word is rightly divided by the Holy Spirit. God bless.

Immanuel! God is with us. I pray that God will reveal his will to us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the