Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  National Geographic slams Christians!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: National Geographic slams Christians!  (Read 9256 times)
Bronzesnake
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:22:28 AM »

My mother-in-law started paying for subscriptions to National Geographic for me about six or seven years ago for Christmas. She renews my subscription each year. To be honest, I don't really enjoy the magazine all that much. Occasionally I come across an article that interests me, but in general, I find the fact that they promote macro-evolution as though it is an observable, proven fact, a bit tiring.

In this November 2004 issue, the cover depicts a lizard head, and above that, the heading " Was Darwin Wrong?" When I flipped to the article on page four, the question from the cover was answered in bold 3 inch text..."NO! The evidence for Evolution is overwhelming."

The author - David Quammen, goes on to make a very good case for micro-evolution, which knowledgeable Christians do not dispute, however, he then takes a giant quantum leap, and somehow uses the overwhelming evidence for micro-evolution to assert that macro-evolution is every bit as legitimate!

Without getting into a "creation vs evolution" argument, I will provide a URL link where the difference between micro and macro-evolution are explained. http://www.icr.org/pubs/btg-b/btg-094b.htm
 A quick example of micro-evolution...

One of the most commonly used examples of evolutionary change is one which involves a population of “peppered moths” in England. Indeed, many museums and educational institutes worldwide use this as one of the most striking examples of evolution ever witnessed by mankind. The story goes like this: Prior to the industrial revolution in England, the peppered moth population consisted predominantly of light-colored moths (containing speckled dots). A dark-colored form comprised only a small minority of the population. This was so because predators (birds) could more easily detect the dark-colored moths as they rested during the day on light-colored tree trunks. With the onset of the industrial revolution and resultant air pollution, the tree trunks and rocks became progressively darker. As a consequence, the dark-colored moths became increasingly difficult to detect, while the light-colored form ultimately became easy prey. Birds, therefore, began eating more light-colored than dark-colored moths, and today over 95 percent of the peppered moths in the industrial areas of England are of the darker-colored variety.

OK, now to the meat of this topic.
The author seems perplexed as to why Christians do not accept the theory, and cited a 2001 Gallup poll... "where no less than 45% of responding U.S. adults agreed that God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so. Evolution, by their lights, played no role in shaping us."

"only 12% believed that humans evolved from other life-forms without any involvement of a god"

I wonder if the fact that the absolute lack of even a single series of transitional fossils, which caused die-hard evolutionists to produce many fake "missing links" to prove their case, turned the general population onto the fact that macro-evolution only exists in the minds of anthropological fanatics!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1248079.stm

The author asks the question..."Why are there so many anti-evolutionists?"

His conclusions...
In part - "Creationist proselytizers and political activists, working hard to interfere with the teaching of evolutionary biology in public schools"

Is this guy serious? has he been trapped in a cave for the past several decades? Evolutionists have had free range in our schools for years! The evolutionists with all their whimsical artwork spread throughout the text books depicting half man - half apes, as though they had just seen a colony of them at the local zoo - or the orangutan's jaw that was used to construct Piltdown Man. At least that was an entire jaw! another "missing link" was constructed from a single tooth! It was later discovered to be a pigs tooth!
 I can go on, but I believe my point is made.

Quammen then goes on to assert that who do not accept macro-evolution are inflicted by..."honest confusion and ignorance. Many have never taken a biology course that dealt with evolution nor read a book in which the theory was lucidly explained"

The inference here is that all those who believe in the theory, have taken biology courses which dealt with evolution and have read books in which the theory was lucidly explained....oh ya, and Christians are confused and ignorant! Roll Eyes

I'll skip through more insulting journalism and skip to a photo of a bare chested - heavily tattooed man at the end of the article.
 The man is standing, facing the camera. He has no shirt on, and has a massive crucifix scene tattoo from his collar bones down to his waist-line. The scene covers his entire chest and abdomen. The caption reads..."A former convict in Russia, carries two enduring remnants from his prison time: a Crucifixion tattoo and drug resistant TB. He hopes God will help him, but evolution-based science is what guides the search for an earthly cure."

What arrogance!

I have just read my last National Geographic.

Bronzesnake
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 11:51:25 AM by Bronzesnake » Logged
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 03:07:24 PM »

All those people looking for a resistant TB cure are standing on the shoulders of people like Leuwenhook, Pasteur, Mendel, etc..none of whom believed in evolution.

Sounds like the guy's insecure, perhaps a Christian girl wouldn't go out with him in college or something.

Those guys feel somewhat under threat, as homeschooled and Christian schooled kids do better in science than kids who are taught evolution.
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 02:24:22 AM »

Amen bronzesnake

I absolutely agree.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 09:09:31 AM »

All those people looking for a resistant TB cure are standing on the shoulders of people like Leuwenhook, Pasteur, Mendel, etc..none of whom believed in evolution.

Sounds like the guy's insecure, perhaps a Christian girl wouldn't go out with him in college or something.

Those guys feel somewhat under threat, as homeschooled and Christian schooled kids do better in science than kids who are taught evolution.

Ha,ha! I like the girl thingy Tim.
I agree with you - this guy went out of his way to insult Christians, and that is clear-cut insecurity.

Bronzesnake
Alnilam

ATM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 04:51:50 PM »

Hi Bronzesnake,

Consider a letter to the editor.  Let them know how you feel.  I am absolutely sure you will not be alone in writing.

Peace

Alnilam
Bronzesnake
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 06:30:20 PM »

Hi Bronzesnake,

Consider a letter to the editor.  Let them know how you feel.  I am absolutely sure you will not be alone in writing.

Peace

Alnilam

Hello my friend.
I am going to write them and let them know how I feel. I will cancel my subscription at the same time.

Bronzesnake
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 07:04:30 PM »

From the begining with Grosvenor, they were elitist and snobbish. I read a very old issue some time ago when one of their authors plagiarized Duns Scottus, and they never acknowleged it, at least as far as I know.

But it's ironic, isn't it, that homeschooled kids destroy the competition at the national geographic bee? It must stick in their craw that our kids have to be awarded prizes that they sponser.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 07:15:38 PM »

From the begining with Grosvenor, they were elitist and snobbish. I read a very old issue some time ago when one of their authors plagiarized Duns Scottus, and they never acknowleged it, at least as far as I know.

But it's ironic, isn't it, that homeschooled kids destroy the competition at the national geographic bee? It must stick in their craw that our kids have to be awarded prizes that they sponser.

They can always claim the public schooled kids were evolved from an ape of lower intelligence!

I'm considering building a web site dedicated to the real facts surrounding evolution/creation.

Bronzesnake
Tim Vaughan

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 07:18:57 PM »

My personal email is tvaughan@charter.net. Please let me know if you do it.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 11:55:44 PM »

I'm a product of the public skools and I turned out okay.

Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 11:34:45 AM »

heys its an ape thing.....

sometimes i get annoyed with the forum rules  Angry

"Men speak of killing time when time slowly killing them"
"We make war that we may live in peace"
"Practical politics consists in ignoring the facts"
"Everyone's quick to blame the Alien"
"Multiplication vexes me, Division is as bad, The ru
thomas2004

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 10:19:44 PM »

Right, the appropriate way to voice your displeasure is to stop reading one of the nations most globaly informative magazines.  I have no problem with you being upset at this particular article, but in the end, thats what free-speech is all about.  I think it would be a real tradgedy if you were to stop reading National Geographic because of this incident.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 11:28:10 PM »

National Geo. is a carnal, disbelieving magazine.

It's a reflection of the higher criticism, and cynicism, like of
Darwin, Marx and Frederick Nietzche, that emerged in the 19th century, with man's ambitious and aggressive industrilization - his need for only himself(thus Darwin's eye to only the organism as the be-all and end-all; and Marx's eye to 'the State' and the subsequent wholesale bloodshed that brought about in less than a century; and Nietzche's 'supermen' (the Nazis), and no need for humility or sympathy.  

My parents tell of reading the NG in the 1920s.  We use to have stacks about the house.

Yes, God's glory shines through it all - his creation there depicted beautifully.

And I have referred to NG many times.  Many interesting articles.  The ones on Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius very interesting...

But a rather cynical view of creation, it seems.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 10:05:30 AM »

Right, the appropriate way to voice your displeasure is to stop reading one of the nations most globaly informative magazines.  I have no problem with you being upset at this particular article, but in the end, thats what free-speech is all about.  I think it would be a real tradgedy if you were to stop reading National Geographic because of this incident.

Read my first post my friend.

My mother-in-law started paying for subscriptions to National Geographic for me about six or seven years ago for Christmas. She renews my subscription each year. To be honest, I don't really enjoy the magazine all that much. Occasionally I come across an article that interests me, but in general, I find the fact that they promote macro-evolution as though it is an observable, proven fact, a bit tiring.

I would never have subscribed to the magazine in the first place. The fact that occasionally there are articles such as the one I quoted, which paint Christians as ignorant backwoods hillbillies, is what finally brought me to my decision to scrap a magazine I never really liked.

Why would I continue to read articles which support and promote evolution on a regular basis? Their articles on "regional flooding" as opposed to a world wide flood are nauseating. They have trumpeted the "fact" that (for example) the Grand Canyon was formed gradually over millions of years, and yet recent evidence and technology have shown that massive flooding can cause extreme geological changes in very short order. The methods used to date historical and geographical events is touted as fool proof, and yet the evidence suggests the opposite, where one must come to conclusions based on presuppositions and guesswork. Carbon and radiometric dating are highly unreliable, but due to the fact that the scientific world has a deathgrip on the throat of the general populations of the world, these facts are not brought to light - or are feverishly denied. Did you know that four labs dated samples of lava from the same source from 20 to 50 million years old, when in fact the samples were all taken from the last huge eruption of Mount St Helens? Ya, that's "fool proof" alright.

I prefer reading volumes on archaeology, history, geography, Christianity etc. Where I can get much more information than I ever could by reading a magazine article.

The bottom line for me is this...If it doesn't line up with what God says, it's a lie. Where do lies come from? satan. He must love it when people believe his lies, after all, misery loves company and he'll need all the company he can get when he's in between medium-rare and well done.

Bronzesnake
Kalthzar

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 11:36:25 AM »

its your choice i suppose, but then that is only one authors opinion.

Would you be suprised to know that i know some atheist in America are scared of living there in case of releigion becoming too powerful?

its all a matter of perspective.

(does this go against forum rules? sorry if so)

"Men speak of killing time when time slowly killing them"
"We make war that we may live in peace"
"Practical politics consists in ignoring the facts"
"Everyone's quick to blame the Alien"
"Multiplication vexes me, Division is as bad, The ru
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the