Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why Elijah must come...again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Elijah must come...again  (Read 7655 times)
lowflatrate

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2004, 04:39:49 PM »

You quoted:
  " But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition ?"
"    But in vain ...they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men", (Matthew 15:3,9).

Yes, I got what you mean. I forgot what verse that was, telling he change the times, and yes he did. We all follow pagan time scheme. Do we have a choice here? Is Saturday the real day of Sabbath we're suppose to keep?  The one who changed the times designed a new time (gregorian calendar) so as to keep real worshippers from worshipping on the real sabbath. Do we have the exact and accurate day?

You quoted:
Have you ever thought about the Old...and the New...Testaments as being the 2 witnesses ?
After all....the whole Bible contains everything God wants people to know and understand, right ?

Yes, there are so many translations to that, some say it's Elijah and Moses, some say it's Elijah and Enoch. After all the OT and the NT holds witness and testimony of God. But, I ask, are the two witnesses prophets who tormented those who worship the image of the beast and fire came out from their mouth to destroy their enemies?

For me, the Bible can be understood spiritually and literally. Spiritually, the OT and NT - holds witness and testimony of God and literally - the 2 witnesses are the 2 prophets and 1 one them probably is Elijah as God will send him before the great and dreadful day of the Lord. For me, the word of God is a double edge sword.

You quoted:
As  for this.....the whole Bible has 'already provided' ...that information.....As the Book of Daniel and Revelation (put together) has 'already' told us who the Beast is.

Please enlighten me, as I read many translation here. I would love to read yours.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 04:58:26 PM by lowflatrate » Logged
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2004, 11:25:16 PM »

here we go again with the law stuff...tsk tsk tsk...i'd thought we'd gotten through to ya...guess i'm gonna have to go into deeper detail...watch out.  Wink Night

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2004, 11:33:33 PM »

You quoted:
  " But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition ?"
"    But in vain ...they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men", (Matthew 15:3,9).

Yes, I got what you mean. I forgot what verse that was, telling he change the times, and yes he did. We all follow pagan time scheme. Do we have a choice here? Is Saturday the real day of Sabbath we're suppose to keep?  The one who changed the times designed a new time (gregorian calendar) so as to keep real worshippers from worshipping on the real sabbath.
Do we have the exact and accurate day?
Of course !

The 7 day weekly cycle has never ever changed.

It has always been 1st day of the week.....2nd day of the week...3rd day of the week....4th day of the week...5th day of the week...6th day of the week...7th day of the week....
then it starts over again: 1st day of the week...2nd day of the week...etc...etc.

You quoted:
As  for this.....the whole Bible has 'already provided' ...that information.....As the Book of Daniel and Revelation (put together) has 'already' told us who the Beast is.

Please enlighten me, as I read many translation here. I would love to read yours.
OK...Daniel 7:23 points out the fact that the term:'beast', means a Kingdom.
And verse 7:25 describe the several characteistics, used to know who the Beast is, by understanding past world history.
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2004, 11:46:45 PM »

here we go again with the law stuff...tsk tsk tsk...i'd thought we'd gotten through to ya...guess i'm gonna have to go into deeper detail...watch out.  Wink Night

Joshua
"And the dragon was angry with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ", (Revelarion 12:17).
Reba
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2004, 12:27:18 AM »

Is it Christian to put other gods before Him?

Is it Christian to to make a graven image?

Is it Christian to take the Lords name in vain?

Is it Christian to remember the sabbath?

Is it Christian to honour your Father and Mother?

Is it Christian to kill?

Is it Christian to commit adultery?

Is it Christian to steal?

Is it Christian to lie?

Is it Christian to covet?

Matt 22:37-40

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
KJV

It would not be a good thing to totally disreguard the laws of daily living God set in His Word.  Mostly we call them the laws of Moses but they are Gods Word, not the word of Moses. The whole of His earth could live together much more peaceable if the laws of the lands mirrored the scriptures. His laws have merit if for no other reason than the fact they are His. We are His creation I do believe He knows us well.

lowflatrate

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2004, 06:49:09 AM »

Silver Surfer wrote:

Ok. What day do you attend your praise and worship? I attend on Sundays as I have half days work on Saturdays. If I don't have work on Saturday, I read and study the Bible. Coming from a Sabbath keeping Church before and it split up because of differing views, this year I attended a praise and worship church. This is so different as people there were happy and enjoying themselves and they're so inspired. It's a different change for me but I know God has led me to this Church. Smiley Though, sometimes, I got used to observing Sabbath on a Saturday, I try to make sure to keep it holy by having a quite bible study. But, that does not mean that I'm holier than my other brethrens lest I fall into a trap like what the Pharisees and Sadduces did.

I did compare my old church to the new one, but I came to realize I cannot judge another man's servant (the ministers or pastors). To each the Holy Spirit give gifts according to his will. Some a gift of healing, some teaching, some prayer warriors, some discerning of spirits, some a gift of sight, some speaking of tongues, some prophets, and etc. Now, since the body of Christ is the Church, one church cannot be both hand and eyes, or one church cannot be both head and ears but each one belonging to the body of Chirst. But, it will be a different story if a church teaches damnable hersies and according to man's tradition like idol worshipping.

I understand that the Bible can have several translations with other churches, but we should trust the Holy Spirit to guide us to the scriptures as He is the key to understanding the Bible deeper lest we fall into a trap again and lean too much to our own understanding.

Let see what the Bible says about this:

1 Corinthians 12

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were heathen, you were led astray to dumb idols, however you may have been moved. 3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking by the Spirit of God ever says "Jesus be cursed!" and no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit. 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of working, but it is the same God who inspires them all in every one. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are inspired by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. 12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--Jews or Greeks, slaves or free--and all were made to drink of one Spirit. 14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the organs in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single organ, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body which seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and those parts of the body which we think less honorable we invest with the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving the greater honor to the inferior part, 25 that there may be no discord in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. 27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2004, 05:28:01 PM »

Silver Surfer wrote:

Ok. What day do you attend your praise and worship?
The same day that Jesus and the Apostle Paul attended worship service, as their custom was....the 7th day Sabbath.

I attend on Sundays as I have half days work on Saturdays. If I don't have work on Saturday, I read and study the Bible. Coming from a Sabbath keeping Church before and it split up because of differing views, this year I attended a praise and worship church. This is so different as people there were happy and enjoying themselves and they're so inspired. It's a different change for me but I know God has led me to this Church. Smiley
God does not lead people to commit sin !
Though, sometimes, I got used to observing Sabbath on a Saturday, I try to make sure to keep it holy by having a quite bible study. But, that does not mean that I'm holier than my other brethrens lest I fall into a trap like what the Pharisees and Sadduces did.
The pharisees did not observe the Law of God !
When a person tries to kill someone else, as they tried to kill Jesus on several occasions, they break God's Law !
I did compare my old church to the new one, but I came to realize I cannot judge another man's servant (the ministers or pastors).
"But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take [any] person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.  
  33:7   So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.  
  33:8   When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.  
  33:9   Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy own soul", (Ezekiel, chapter 33).

lowflatrate

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2004, 08:55:49 PM »

The same day that Jesus and the Apostle Paul attended worship service, as their custom was....the 7th day Sabbath.

On a Saturday right? Thanks. So, most probably, you're following the Hebrew Calendar and not the Pagan Gregorian calendar right? Do clarify, please.

Yes, I know. But, I ask, as what our brethren Reba quoted,"
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." How do you perceive this? And, how many christian churches observe the Sabbath day strictly to the Law? Can you give a count?

The pharisees did not observe the Law of God !
When a person tries to kill someone else, as they tried to kill Jesus on several occasions, they break God's Law !

Yes, I know. But not all pharisees and sadduces were like that, though most of them are.  Now I know what Jesus Christ meant, "Lord!, Lord! Did we cast out demons in your name, heal the sick in your name? and Jesus told them, "I do not know you, depart from me you who practice lawlessness!" Some Christians can fall into that trap, unfortunately.

Did we stop and think, did we do God's will? Did we feed the poor, visit the prisoners, confessed our sins, share the gospel,  forgave our enemies, pray for unsaved people, not to turn down who borrows from you, not to revenge who stole from you, had a good relationship with Christ through prayers, repented of our ways fully, being that good samaritan, and etc. And do not love our lives and the world? Did we follow what Christ told us? Jesus Christ also did work on a Sabbath day and the Pharisees accused Him of working. It is better to do good on a Sabbath day rather than leave someone hungry and thirsty.

"But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take [any] person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
  33:7  So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.
  33:8  When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
  33:9  Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy own soul", (Ezekiel, chapter 33).

I understand clearly your situation, my brethren. But, I worship my Lord Jesus Christ every day through praying. I do God's will to the best of my ability. I help people. I have repented of my ways with God's help. Though I do not want to deceive myself and tell a lie, I still sin, but I'm quick to ask God for forgiveness right there on the spot and stop the enemy from having a foothold on me. How can I then be wicked? If I follow strict to the law the Sabbath day, but do not do God's will, how can I then be righteous?

I follow my Lord's commandment which was fulfilled by 2 commandments:

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

The above quote (Ezekiel, chapter 33), as I understand, the "wicked" mentioned were those people who are of the "world", idol worshippers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, and the likes who has their part in the lake of fire. We are to warn those kind of people to repent of their ways and worship the one true God, Jesus Christ. If they do not, the sword will come. We as Christians are to warn those people of the world of the coming wrath of the lamb. We are all watchman and watchwoman. Every Christian has to do their part and to save as many as we can for we cannot remain lukewarm lest our Lord Jesus Christ spew us out of his mouth. Now, as Jesus Christ has told us, we are not here for those who are well, but for those who are sick.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 09:58:15 PM by lowflatrate » Logged
lowflatrate

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2004, 09:59:52 PM »

Now, my heart really wants me to remember the Sabbath day and to keep it holy as it is convicting me. How does one Christian observe this? Through helping people, studying the Bible, refrain from any entertainment, etc? How long would the Sabbath be? From Surise till Sunset? I know it won't be a sacrifice as it's easy following these, for I want to love God with all my heart, with all my strength and with all my soul.

How is it for one Christian to remember the Sabbath day and also working on that day? What if someone wants my help? Do I fall on deaf ears?

How do we remember the Sabbath day and to keep it holy, but not like what the Pharisees and Sadduces are doing which is very burdensome?

I know Jesus Christ did not come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. What is the fulfillment of the Sabbath? What was Christ's example?

I would like to hear what the Holy Spirit tells you.

God bless.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:09:05 PM by lowflatrate » Logged
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2004, 11:57:55 PM »

FALSE TEACHING!

On a Saturday right? Thanks. So, most probably, you're following the Hebrew Calendar and not the Pagan Gregorian calendar right? Do clarify, please.
It does not matter which calendar....as the 7 day week cycle has always been the same....in both calendars.

Yes, I know. But, I ask, as what our brethren Reba quoted,"
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." How do you perceive this? And, how many christian churches observe the Sabbath day strictly to the Law? Can you give a count?
God only points out one church:"Here is the patience of the saints: here [are] they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.(Revelation 14:12).  

33:7  So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.
  33:8  When I say unto the wicked, O wicked [man], thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
  33:9  Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy own soul", (Ezekiel, chapter 33).

I understand clearly your situation, my brethren. But, I
I follow my Lord's commandment which was fulfilled by 2 commandments:
Those who break the 4th commandment do not love God, because he says so (James 2:10-12)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 01:45:09 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2004, 12:44:11 AM »

Silver Surfer,

A Christian's rest and peace is in JESUS, 24/7. If you wish to remain in a prison with all of the doors unlocked, go right ahead. Don't be shocked when nobody wishes to join you. Jesus freed all of those who have accepted HIM as Lord and Saviour. Your penalty was paid for by Jesus in full.

JESUS CHRIST is Lord over all days, hours, minutes, and seconds. I am free IN HIM, and I love every second of it. I will NOT accept your invitation to prison, and nobody else will either. You speak for Moses, NOT JESUS. You might be saved - I don't know. If so, leave prison and walk with JESUS 24/7. If not, many sweet Christians here would love to share JESUS with you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

lowflatrate

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2004, 11:32:01 PM »

I’ve been reading all the forums here, and there seem to be a struggle between Sabbath keeping and Sunday worship. I think I got the picture now. Just correct me if I’m wrong.

Revelation 14

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

As Silver Surfer has mentioned, God only points out to one Church. This is correct.

Remember, we are Gentiles. We are not Jews. We are not children of Israel. Because of our Lord Jesus Christ sacrifice for all of mankind, we have the right to salvation. Whoever believes in Him will be saved.

"Here is the patience of the saints", it means we as Saints are waiting for that time where some Jews finally be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and accept Him as saviour. As we are sealed they will also be sealed - all 144,000 of them - all the tribe of Israel.

Concerning the "seal", we read:

Ephesians 1
 13 In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 which is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

and

Ephesian 4
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

and the tribe of Isreal:

Revelation 7
4 And I heard the number of the sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand sealed, out of every tribe of the sons of Israel,

Reading Revelation 14, how come only one exclusive Church? Who are they? Let’s read on:

Revelation 12

17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

How come ‘the’ remnant? Read on:

Romans 9

26 "And in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called 'sons of the living God.'" 27 And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: "Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved;

We know, in order to be saved, one must believe in Jesus Christ, because He is the only way. Now, reading the verse above, “only a remnant will be saved”.

This is very clear and simple to understand, in the last days, some Jews will believe in Jesus Christ, be baptized and be saved!! Praise God! This is concerning Israel and not the Gentiles.

You see know brethrens? This is the remnant Church that Revelation12 is talking about! This remnant church is a Jewish Christian born again/evangelical Church. This exclusive Church coming from a Jewish background carried with them the commandments of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.  Jewish + Christian interconnected = the remnant church.

Now if we think the other way, and think this is one of the hundreds of Christian Gentile church, we will be confused, because if we were to think that our church is that remnant church which keeps the commandments of God, then the rest of the other churches are null and void and make the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ in vain.  

Remember, the commandments of God is not only the 10 commandments, but the rest of the OT commandments which includes not eating pork, seafoods, animals with split hooves, birds of prey, and etc. It’s a lot.

Concerning the law and works of Israel and the faith of the Gentiles, we read:

Romans 9

29 And as Isaiah predicted, "If the Lord of hosts had not left us children, we would have fared like Sodom and been made like Gomor'rah." 30 What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, righteousness through faith; 31 but that Israel who pursued the righteousness which is based on law did not succeed in fulfilling that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it through faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33 as it is written, "Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone that will make men stumble, a rock that will make them fall; and he who believes in him will not be put to shame."

See the difference? Not through righteousness based on law because the law was not fulfilled but to righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ.

The way I see it, there are 2 audiences here, the children of Israel and the Gentiles. If we read the Bible in general not looking at the distinctions, we will get confused and there will be conflict. We are not Israelites, we are Gentiles.

And again, read on:

Romans 10

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they mightbe saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

See now Christian Sabbath keepers? You are not Jews, like us you are also Gentiles. Agreed? Hellooo??

Jesus Christ already died for our sins. Just believe in Him and you will be SAVED. It's not burdensome. It's not judgemental. Anyone can be saved if you believe in His holy name. There's no condition attached. We are sinners. We have been cleansed by the mighty Blood of Jesus Christ. We have repented because of our Faith in Jesus Christ. Not by ourselves, but by the power of the Holy Spirit. He is in us to guide us in all truths and to free us from all bondage.  

Free yourself from the chains, as Christ has already freed us. Free yourself and have peace and wait for our Lord Jesus Christ coming!!

Woohoo!! Praise the Lord! Glory be His name! God almighty!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 11:51:40 PM by lowflatrate » Logged
Reba
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2004, 11:55:11 PM »

H1471
גּי    גּוי
gôy  gôy
go'ee, go'-ee
Apparently from the same root as H1465 (in the sense of massing); a foreign nation; hence a Gentile; also (figuratively) a troop of animals, or a flight of locusts: - Gentile, heathen, nation, people.

Eph 2:18-20

18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone
KJV

I am not a gentile i am not foreigner, nor an animal,  nor locusts and i am not a heathen.
lowflatrate

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2004, 01:29:02 AM »

H1471
גּי    גּוי
gôy  gôy
go'ee, go'-ee
Apparently from the same root as H1465 (in the sense of massing); a foreign nation; hence a Gentile; also (figuratively) a troop of animals, or a flight of locusts: - Gentile, heathen, nation, people.

Eph 2:18-20

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone
KJV

I am not a gentile i am not foreigner, nor an animal,  nor locusts and i am not a heathen.

If you take it figuratively, yes. Animal or locusts.

But generally, it means and understood clearly by everyone is:

hyperdicationay.com

Gentiles Definition:      

(Heb., usually in plural, goyim), meaning in general all nations except the Jews. In course of time, as the Jews began more and more to pride themselves on their peculiar privileges, it acquired unpleasant associations, and was used as a term of contempt.

In the New Testament the Greek word Hellenes, meaning literally Greek (as in Acts 16:1, 3; 18:17; Rom. 1:14), generally denotes any non-Jewish nation.

and

Wikipedia.com

A Gentile refers to a non-Israelite; the word is derived from the Latin term gens (meaning "clan" or a "group of families") and is often employed in the plural. Christian translators of the Bible use this word to collectively designate the peoples and nations distinct from the Israelite people; the word is used that way over 130 times in the King James Version of the Bible, in both the Old and New Testaments. From the 17th century on this term was most commonly used to refer to non-Jews. In recent decades this use of the term has somewhat fallen out of favour, and "non-Jew" is typically used as a substitute.

and by Smith's Bible Dictionary

Gentiles: (nations). All the people who were not Jews were so called by them, being aliens from the worship, rites and privileges of Israel. The word was used contemptuously by them. In the New Testament it is used as equivalent to Greek. This use of the word seems to have arisen from the almost universal adaption of the Greek language.

I refer to Gentiles as Non-Jewish. Therefore, when I say, gentile christian church, it is understood as, Non-Jewish Non-Israelite Christian Church.

Of course, as what you have quoted:

Yes, when we accept our Lord Jesus Christ, we have access by one Spirit unto the God the Father. We are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizen with the saints, and of the household of God.

We therefore, no longer Gentiles but fellowcitizen with the saints. Neither Gentiles nor Jews.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 01:34:35 AM by lowflatrate » Logged
oneBook

Long poster (sorry)!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2004, 04:22:17 AM »

lowflatrate-

I think there is a problem dividing the body of Christ up into "Jewish  and non-Jewish".  It's not a country club Wink
But seriously, I have seen this same approach to understanding scripture and it is false.  The problem this approach creates, is that now there are two brides (of Christ), but only a covenant with one.  The sign of the covenant with Israel is the Sabbath, this is equivalent to a wedding ring-

The problem is that nowhere in the Bible (OT or NT) is a covenant made with anyone except Israel!!! God doesn't have a mistress (Gentile church), only a bride.  So where does that leave Gentiles like us that weren't born Jews?  Look what Eph says-
Eph 2:11-22
11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands-- 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR ; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Note that being part of Israel is being part of Christ.  Paul goes to great lengths to make Gentiles understand that they are -

-Fellow citizens in Israel (Eph. 2:19 above)

-Circumcised
Rom. 2:26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision?

-Sons of Abraham
Rom 4:16 For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all

-Grafted into Israel
Rom. 11:17-27
17 Now if some of the branches were broken off, and you, though a wild olive branch, were grafted in among them, and have come to share in the rich root of the cultivated olive tree, 18 do not brag that you are better than those branches. But if you do brag--you do not sustain the root, but the root sustains you. 19 Then you will say, "Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in." 20 True enough; they were broken off by unbelief, but you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you either. 22 Therefore, consider God's kindness and severity: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness toward you--if you remain in His kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23 And even they, if they do not remain in unbelief, will be grafted in, because God has the power to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from your native wild olive, and against nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these--the natural branches--be grafted into their own olive tree? 25 So that you will not be conceited, brothers, I do not want you to be unaware of this secret: a partial hardening has come to Israel until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written: The Liberator will come from Zion; He will turn away godlessness from Jacob. 27 And this will be My covenant with them, when I take away their sins.

We are all children of Israel, albeit it sometimes feels like the ugly step-child of Israel.  Or maybe an adopted child- hmmm.... I seem to remember Israel (Jacob) adopting two Gentiles and one of them he said would become a multitude of Gentiles (nations)!!
(Gen. 48)

In most English NT translations, there is a distinction made that is false, by hiding when the word synagogue is used as in James 2:2-
For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;

The word translated "assembly" here is actually the word "synagogue" in the Greek.  

Or translating the word usually translated "church" as "congregation" as in Acts 7-
37 "This is the Moses who said to the sons of Israel, God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from among your brothers. 38 He is the one who was in the congregation in the desert together with the angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our forefathers. He received living oracles to give to us.

Note in Stephen's speech above, that the church mentioned is Israel!!

Not to mention, when you read through the Exodus from Egypt, there are Gentiles with them then, and they are all addressed as sons of Israel!!  God goes on to say that -

Ex 12:49 - " The same law shall apply to the native as to the stranger who sojourns among you."

God accepted them, and they ate the Passover with the native Israelites (the above passage is in reference to Passover specifically, but the same thing applies to all the laws as we see later in the Torah).

As a friend of mine once said, "I'm in bondage?  If this is bondage, tie me up!!"
In keeping God's law, this is the only bondage I am in, and I wholly recommend it to all believers-
Rom. 6:17, 22 But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Note that God gives us freedom from slavery to sin, but that freedom is so that we can now follow Him and His commands.  This is why God redeemed Israel from slavery in Egypt and brought them to Sinai to become His slaves.

So what shall we say then?  Israel has not accepted the Messiah and has been blinded so that the Gentiles could come in.  Now that blindness is maintained through the ignorance of the Gentiles.  Check out Rom 10:9-20 -
9 But I say, surely Israel did not know, did they? First Moses says, "I WILL MAKE YOU JEALOUS BY THAT WHICH IS NOT A NATION, BY A NATION WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING WILL I ANGER YOU." 20 And Isaiah is very bold and says, "I WAS FOUND BY THOSE WHO DID NOT SEEK ME, I BECAME MANIFEST TO THOSE WHO DID NOT ASK FOR ME."

This verse is talking about Gentiles!!  We are called Gentiles which means "nations".  But we are part of a nation, Israel, but not affiliated with the physical Israel directly.  That fits this verse to a T, and fits us, although that makes us ignorant.  What is it that we Gentiles are ignorant of?  The law of God.  Israel didn't accept Jesus (as the Messiah), but claims to follow God's law.  We on the other hand say we follow the Messiah, but we don't accept (all of) God's law.  Who's right? Put the two together and you have the right answer, accept God's law, and God's lawgiver (the Messiah).

Oh, and one last thing, in regards to this verse-

Some use this to say that these are now the only 2 commandments that we have to keep.  This is in error.  If you break one command, you have broken them all.  If you break the Sabbath command, then you have not loved God with all your heart, soul, and mind. If you move your neighbor's boundry stone, then you are not loving your neighbor as yourself.

God's law is a law of grace, faith and love.  It is perfect, holy, and good.  If we as Christians didn't have a negative traditional view of the law, then we would be able to see that it tells us how to live like Messiah, it is His shadow, and I for one will dwell in it.

Well there's my 2 cents....  oh, and my standard disclaimer-
I DON'T BELIEVE WE ARE SAVED BY KEEPING THE LAW
I DON'T BELIEVE SUNDAY CHRISTIANS ARE GOING TO HELL

Jesus can forgive even not keeping the Sabbath, as long as it is not done in rebellion.

-oneBook
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the