Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:12:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Correct vs. incorrect interpretations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Correct vs. incorrect interpretations  (Read 4825 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2004, 11:47:26 PM »

How do we know if our interpretations are correct or incorrect? The way I can tell if an interpretation is correct or incorrect is that a correct interpretation comes from the fruits of the spirit whereas an incorrect interpretation comes from sin. ANY interpretation that glorifies men comes from the sin of pride whereas any interpretation that glorifies God comes from humility and reverance. Believing that men are responsible for their salvation rather than God is one interpretation that glorifies men. Jesus said; "I can do nothing without my Father.' That is complete and TOTAL humility. Thinking that we are more powerful than God is another interpretation that comes from pride. "God hardens whom He wants to harden and has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy." As Paul says, "it is His sovereign choice." God is the one with the power. Is He who makes the decisions of the universe, not us. That's why Jesus said; "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him." If God is not drawing someone then wild horses cannot make him believe. God is the one with the power, not us.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 08:26:01 AM »

I can tell you from my experience of witnessing on atheist forums, Neo, the people who don't have a heart for God, do not WANT heaven! It is hard for me to understand why, but most atheist i know have said that they hate God and would rather die than believe Him! The ones, on the other hand, who want God will find Him becuase Jesus promises tht He who seeks will find. So God's plan is fair and just because everyone is getting what he wants.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 09:56:44 AM »

There is more evidence that Jesus lived and died for our sins than evidence that Atilla the hun lived. But atheists do not want to believe that and they make that very clear to me.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 10:13:05 AM »

You have to wonder about a person who doesn't believe in God, and yet spends so much time on a Christian web site, so he/she can sit in the bushes and throw stones...
Must be lonely...very,very lonely.

Bronzesnake.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 10:21:37 AM »

I agree, Bronzesnake...Or desperately seeking even though he won't admit it. One or the other.
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 02:57:52 AM »

...Which means that God intentionally saves some people, and damns the rest to eternal hellfire.

Beautiful. Roll Eyes

That is a belief that is derived from Calvinism.
Not all Christians believe that way.
Stop being so stereotypical and maybe you'll start getting some answers and a better understanding of Christianity.
To continue the way you have makes me wonder if you really want answers or if you just want to be a troll.

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:42:35 AM »

True seekers ask questions. They don't come here to mock God. Those mockers are the ones who are extremely angry at God. They must have very unhappy lives or they would have NO  reason to be angry at God.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 09:16:53 AM »

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 10:32:17 AM »

...Which means that God intentionally saves some people, and damns the rest to eternal hellfire.

Beautiful. Roll Eyes

Yes and no.  Yes, God intentionally saves some.  No, God doesn't damn anyone intentionally to hellfire.  We have eternal life by God's grace and eternal damnation by our own choice.

I know that many people hold to the Calvanistic teachings, and many vehemently deny them.  I prefer to see things the way God expresses them in His word.  In the bible, He says He chose me before the foundation of the world, based upon His eternal plan for me rather than my obedience to His call.  But it never says that He chose any to go to Hell.  That is man's logic.  If He chose some to eternal life, then He must have chosen some to eternal damnation...Oddly enough, it doesn't match Gods understanding, and to be frank, to assume that we can understand everything God does and thinks is arrogant.  He even tells us in His words that our thoughts aren't His thoughts.

We cannot operate/build doctrines around what we feel is implied.  We can build them around what He does say...

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

2 Peter 3:9

...and...

For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15

...and...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.  Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 3:16-18

God is not willing that any die, He calls all to repentance, and He sent His Son Jesus to die for the sins of whoever believes in Him.

Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 01:49:35 AM »

True seekers ask questions. They don't come here to mock God. Those mockers are the ones who are extremely angry at God. They must have very unhappy lives or they would have NO  reason to be angry at God.
True belivers come here to learn more then they know. Knowledge is fleeting, True knowledge is from the Lord, not mankind.
Praise God in the highest, for the Lord is the only one worthy to judge everyone.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2004, 01:55:48 AM »

1.) I'm not angry at God - I simply do not believe in him. As I've said before, I'm about as angry at God as you are at leprechauns.

2.) To His_child: Yes, I recognize that my (rather sarcastic) comment was in response to Calvinistic thought. Calvinists were my target audience.

3.) If God predestines anyone for salvation, he necessarily predestines the rest for eternal damnation. According to Christianity, God created Hell, he created Satan, he set the stage for man's downfall, etc, etc. He cannot both be praised for the salvation of man and absolved from all blame for the fall and the sadistic nature of eternal punishment. If God is carries ultimate knowledge and ultimate power, then he also necessarily carries ultimate responsibility.
1. That is not a Christian attidute, a Christian as most of us are here believe in the Lord. We believe because we can feel his presents.
2. Christians do well to forgive for their statements, for their own salvation.
3. You need to learn from the Bible Neo, The Lord loves everyone and doesn't want them to die without is salvation.
John 3:16-18
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.  Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

His_child

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 02:22:04 AM »

1.) I'm not angry at God - I simply do not believe in him. As I've said before, I'm about as angry at God as you are at leprechauns.

You will someday. I just hope it won't be too late.

2.) To His_child: Yes, I recognize that my (rather sarcastic) comment was in response to Calvinistic thought. Calvinists were my target audience.

Calvinists, like the rest of us, are just humans in need of a Saviour.

3.) If God predestines anyone for salvation, he necessarily predestines the rest for eternal damnation. According to Christianity, God created Hell, he created Satan, he set the stage for man's downfall, etc, etc. He cannot both be praised for the salvation of man and absolved from all blame for the fall and the sadistic nature of eternal punishment. If God is carries ultimate knowledge and ultimate power, then he also necessarily carries ultimate responsibility.

It is His desire that none will perish.
However, He never forces Himself on us.
He is pure and perfect love. If He forced us to accept Him, then that would not be pure or perfect love.
Therefore, He gives us free will. We are free to accept or reject Him.
If we accept Him, then we will spend eternity with Him.
If we reject Him, then we will go to hell.

God will not force you to make a decision.
He does not force anyone into Heaven.
He does not force anyone into hell.
We are to be held accountable for our actions. If a person rejects Christ, he has only himself to blame for landing in hell.

Can't invent His deity.
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 02:31:38 AM »

It is His desire that none will perish.
However, He never forces Himself on us.
He is pure and perfect love. If He forced us to accept Him, then that would not be pure or perfect love.
Therefore, He gives us free will. We are free to accept or reject Him.
If we accept Him, then we will spend eternity with Him.
If we reject Him, then we will go to hell.

God will not force you to make a decision.
He does not force anyone into Heaven.
He does not force anyone into hell.
We are to be held accountable for our actions. If a person rejects Christ, he has only himself to blame for landing in hell.

hmmm....that looks like deductive reasoning. I didnt know that you could apply human reasoning to God. I think someone here said that god transcends human reasoning. So, why would you use human reasoning in a conversation about god and his ways.

Who said I used human reasoning?
Ask my husband- I'm one of the most unreasonable women you could ever meet.  Wink

What I used is what I've learned in Scripture.

Can't invent His deity.
nimble

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 02:35:04 AM »

well whether you know it or not your argument was a deductive reasoning statement.
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 02:41:39 AM »

nimble- have you ever actually read the Bible?

Can't invent His deity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the