Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:05:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  (Read 9703 times)
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2004, 02:19:54 PM »

It is Harry's third year at Hogwarts, the magical school for young witches and wizards, and the only place Harry can call friendly. A lot has happened in three months, though, and upon his re-entry into the school year, he finds out that a murderous wizard has escaped from the Alcatraz-like prison of Azkaban, guarded by the evil dementors. Not only this, but Harry soon realizes that this wizard, this Sirius Black, has escaped for the sole purpose of finding HIM, and even Hogwarts might not be safe anymore.

If you have been following these movies even loosely, chances are you know that this new one is being directed by someone new; so chances are, the feel of Prisoner will be at least a little different from the two preceding it. If you didn't know that by now, get used to the idea, because the whole aura of Hogwarts and its personality has changed.

Being a huge fan of the books, it's difficult to watch this movie and not nitpick -- everywhere I looked there seemed to be something that had been altered however slightly from Rowlings' publication. Little things like the bar scene in Hogsmeade to much bigger ones like the entire part in the Shreiking Shack. Some can be overlooked, for others, you just gotta suck it in and realize that the book versions of these movies will always be better and more consistent.

But that's all from an avid reader's standpoint.

For those who haven't read the books but are following the movies, this one's a real treat. There's not much these people can complain about, because there's not much they realize they're missing. I think that if I had never read the books but had watched this movie after seeing the first two, I would have been much more pleased and would have been able to appreciate director Alfonso Cuaron's ideals much more.

And, how exactly did this new director fare? Well, I thought he did an excellent job, when it comes to his cinematography and the way he changed the feel of Rowlings' world. The entire setting seems to have shifted; instead of the flat, well-tended Hogwarts grounds you saw in the first two movies, the area here is much more mountainous and wild, more picture-esque. Instead of the bright, sunny days that gave the first two movies a more kid-friendly feel, you get almost all overcast or rainy days that outline the much darker, mature themes and undertone the film brilliantly. The characters themselves have grown; you can read article after article, interview after interview about how Daniel Radcliffe (playing Harry himself) has developed with his character, but you can definitely tell that him and the other actors have come into their own. They're not kids anymore, so of course they'll be going through different changes and emotions that will certainly help the characters they play to become more lifelike as they do the next movie(s).

Another change that's been made is Michael Gambon replacing the late Richard Harris in the role as Dumbledore. While the change is quite noticeable, it couldn't have come at a better time, as Dumbledore's part in this movie was not a big one, and was downplayed successfully from his part in the book. He DOES have a different feel, though. He's obviously younger, and his character has lost a lot of the whimsy and mystery that Harris so beauitifully integrated into his part.

Now, the things I didn't like in the movie had mainly to do with the connection to it's published counterpart. The scene at the end, perhaps the most important and shocking in the whole book and movie, felt rushed, and almost like the director wanted some things left unexplained. I think ten more minutes, if even that, would have helped tremendously in explaining a lot of the questions non-readers will obviously have upon leaving the theater. Also, characters didn't have much interaction in the movie. For example, in the book, Ron and Hermione have a huge fight that almost ruins their friendship that was barely there at all in the film. I can only hope that this is remedied in the next movie, because character interaction plays an enormous role in the next book, and if it is as minimized as it was in this film...well, it'll be a problem, to say the least. Also, little things like not explaining who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are (I suppose that would be a bit bigger in other peoples' opinions), not explaining the stag-shaped patronus, and the flying dementors might have some readers complaining more than they should.

On a side note, I have to say I love the way Cuaron executed the dementors. The loathesome, soul-sucking guards of Azkaban prison were just done terrifically. The flying aspect that was added in the film actually made the dementors look even more evil, and the ice that covered everything when they got near was a creative little touch.

There's a lot more I could say about this move, good and bad. If you like good acting and the idea of an overall darker feel, see this movie. If you think you're going to get all uptight because of the mistakes and omissions that were made, wait for it to come out on video. I'll give it two scores: For the readers, I can't rate it higher than 3 (out of 4) stars. For those who either haven't read the books or honestly don't care, I give it 4. But one thing's for sure -- if you plan on seeing this, have an open mind. Whether you're a die-hard fan of the books or are just used to the aura of the first two movies, you can't go into the theater expecting what you've already gotten. This is something completely new, and as a result, you'll either embrace the new style or come running back to the safety of the prequels.

**Note: If you think Harry Potter is evil, don't turn this thread into a debate. I really don't care if you think it is; your opinion means nothing to me because you are wrong. Now get over yourselves and stay in your closed little minds for this thread, if you would. I'd greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 01:29:14 AM by Sapphire W34P0N » Logged
Nickolai

Eastern Orthodoxy is Awesome

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 11:43:39 AM »

In my opinion the third movie is the best one so far.  It's darker yes, but it also feels more like a movie now.  Not just some kids film that I was ashamed of enjoying Wink.  
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 06:14:04 AM »

Harry Potter Is E - V- I - L Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Nickolai

Eastern Orthodoxy is Awesome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 10:08:05 AM »

Only if you're easily I-N-F-L-U-E-N-C-E-D  Wink
elisabeth

savvy?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 09:04:03 PM »

thanks for that great review!  I pretty much agree with most of what you wrote.  But overall, I really enjoyed Cuaron's interpretation of the book.  He made a beautiful movie, did you like all the "time" references throughout (i.e clocks ticking and the like)? I thought it was a nice touch. My only complaint is how much of the book was cut, but I suppose you can't have everything.
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 05:19:52 PM »

I seen the first two moives, not the third though...

erly_star

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 01:29:48 PM »

I just saw the third one and I loved it!
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 01:43:12 PM »

I just saw the third one and I loved it!

Hi there erly_star Welcome!!   Grin Hope you enjoy your stay with us here.  Pull up a chair and make yer self comfortable ya hear! Grin

So, you're saying the third one is better than them all?

It's kind of hard to beat of Raiders of the Lost Ark Series, but what do I know anyhow.  Tongue

Blessings,  \o/

KristiAnn

jesusservent1

Jesus loves you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 02:43:37 PM »

i didnt like the first 2 but the 3rd one was great Cool
No Gray Areas

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 07:53:34 AM »

Harry Potter is E V I L

You take rubbish in you will get rubbish coming out  

Harry Potter is definately rubbish but worse than that it is EVIL RUBBISH  

Suz

No Gray Areas
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 07:17:50 PM »

Roll Eyes

I've decided I want to use Smilies again.

...Anyway. Another fundamentalist fanatic about to be shut down by Sapphire W34P0N. I don't care about whether or not this thread is a debate; it's so old anyway.

You say that rubbish in = rubbish out, but in order for that to be true, there needs to be rubbish.

Have you read the books? Seen the movies? Or do you just go by what your biased, ignorant buddies say? Don't imply it promotes witchcraft if you have no idea about what the books are really about. That's just asinine.

Is it true witchcraft? Have you seen people that have been "influenced" by the books or movies casting spells or summoning demons? Has there been an increase in occult membership since the Harry Potter books came out, and if so can you give me a reliable source? Does the Bible say, "Thou shalt not have an imagination?"

*Sigh.*

Puritans.

Christians need to find better ways to waste their time than by making useless stabs at creative literature.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »

Sapphire, You know my opinion already. Even though you are a kid, and a pretty good one. I feel that the topic, will cause debate. No matter what is said.

Go in peace with God.
Bob

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 04:20:18 PM »

Honestly, DreamWeaver, I don't remember what your opinion on this issue is/was. And I know it will cause debate, even though there sould be little to debate about.

I'm just sick of ignorant, unimaginative, hard-core zealots bringing their uninformed opinions to the table with no way of making an intelligent or concise argument. Now, I don't know for sure if No Gray Areas would fall under that particular category, but in the past, that covers almost the entire contingent of anti-Harry Potter Christians I've faced.

It does little to aid my pessimistic view of the world, as I'm sure you can imagine.
RichkCt

Jesus is ALIVE and Well

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 11:43:21 AM »

I think its absolutely sickening to have promotion discussion about a dark evil witchcraft movie on a Christian forum.

Especially hearing from people thats its such a great movie. Are you all ignorant.  What is wrong with you people. Your supposed to be walking with Christ not the enemy...

Totally Sickens me Lips Sealed
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 12:43:49 PM »

If you are truly interested in the truth of harry potter, please read the articles on this website.  I think you will be surprised.  the enemy comes masquerading as an angel of light.

http://www.seekgod.ca/topicharrypotter.htm

shalom, nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the