Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:42:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  (Read 9704 times)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 08:13:20 AM »

If you are truly interested in the truth of harry potter, please read the articles on this website.  I think you will be surprised.  the enemy comes masquerading as an angel of light.

http://www.seekgod.ca/topicharrypotter.htm

shalom, nana

At least the woman that writes the articles is consistent. She's against HP, LotR, AND The Chronicles of Narnia.  Smiley

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 10:31:33 AM »

sincereheart wrote:
At least the woman that writes the articles is consistent. She's against HP, LotR, AND The Chronicles of Narnia.  

nana:
Yes, thank God there is someone out there dedicated to exposing these forms of evil Scripturally and holding us accountable to the standard of righteousness that God has mandated in His Word.

1 John 2:15 Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,
16 because all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passes away, and the lust of it, but he who does the will of God abides forever.

James 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever desires to be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 06:21:30 PM »

Quotes taken from Malky's site
Quotes taken from posters on this thread

What we think about, through our imagination or thoughts, what we focus on, what we enjoy and call good is who we are.

I have a problem with this statement. I think about God sometimes, but I'm not God. I think about psychology a lot, but I'm not a psychologist. I think about the opposite sex quite a bit, but I'm still a man. Maybe it's just poor wording, or maybe I'm just playing semantics, but I don't for one second believe that statement.

We have clear Biblical instruction to not be involved with fables, myths, fiction and so on. It does not say we can read fables and be edified. It does not say we can read or write fables and learn sound doctrine from them or use them as an evangelism tool. It says to have nothing to do with fables.

This is just one quote among many on this site that condemns the imagination (though this one is more indirect).

Listen, God gave us an imagination so we wouldn't be robots unable to respond to anything creative. Oh, wait, without imagination, we wouldn't be able to recognize, interpret, or even construct anything creative. I refuse to believe that imagination is evil, because there are a lot of things in this world that are edifying while at the same time showing the creator has an imagination. Worship music by contemporary Christian artists (as much as I despise it) involves imagination. When pastors and ministers draw connections from what's being said in scripture to what's happening in the world today takes a certain level of imagination. All edifying.

This [fables, myths, imagination] cannot be confused with Christ teaching in parables, which some have tried to say is the same thing.

She goes on to say it's not; it is. If Christ didn't have an imagination, he would not have been able to create these parables.

fable (n): A short moral story

No, Jesus' parables sure weren't those, were they?

I'm not going to read every one of these; just check out the URLs for each link:

http://www.seekgod.ca/imagination1.htm
http://www.seekgod.ca/imagination2.htm
http://www.seekgod.ca/imagination3.htm

All she does is condemn imagination. She's a brainwashed extremist Christian, the very type I absolutely cannot stand. I bet if I met this person on the street, it would end up in a yelling match. I can't be bothered to argue with someone who believes a woman who writes articles as close-minded as this; she's digging deeper than there's dirt to move, and making connections that simply aren't there. She's probably single and unbearably self-righteous. I can't take anything she says as truth; the fact that she believes the imagination is evil turns me off from doing more than scanning her articles.

But wait, I'm reading her symbolism page on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and her idiocy has just been confirmed. She obviously takes everything in every HP (and probably LotR and Narnia) book like J.K. Rowling is trying to convert children to "witchcraft." She's acting like this book is non-fiction, rather than an entertaining fantasy story.

At least she took the time to read the books, unlike almost every other anti-HP Christian I've ever met. Still, though, it's obvious she was looking for the bad in it from the very beginning. No objectivity at all. Just a cry for attention.

I think its absolutely sickening to have promotion discussion about a dark evil witchcraft movie on a Christian forum. Especially hearing from people thats its such a great movie.

I think it's absolutely sickening that you would insult my beautiful review like that.

Your supposed to be walking with Christ not the enemy...

Remember, "Judge not, lest ye be judged..." It sickens ME how many people, especially anti-Harry Potter Christians, forget this.

You people who are against Harry Potter should go watch "The Crucible" or read the play. See if you can draw any connections between yourselves and Reverend Parris.
Getting_Real

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 12:33:14 AM »

Strange she doesn't like the Narnia Chronicles, given that C.S. Lewis wrote them as allegory of Christian stories.

On the whole Harry Potter thing, here's my take.

I've watched the movies, and think that in and of themselves the content of the movies is not dark, evil, and scary.

The only problems I do have with these movies is not really about these movies in particular.

In our current media culture there has been a growing popularisation of magic and witch-craft as a good and positive thing. You can see this in things like 'Charmed' and 'Harry Potter', as well as things like LOTR, which I personally love.

I don't think there is any danger in Christians watching these things - I think that we have enough discernment.

However, the interesting aspect to me is the degree to which teenage culture and thought is formed by the media. Teenagers nowdays are constantly getting the message that magic and witchcraft is nice, pleasant, and good - if used for good.

In a typical sense - this could be thought of as a 'gateway'. Not many teenagers are going to be attracted to witchcraft through real depictions of goat sacrifices etc, but we can plainly see they're attracted to 'good clean fun' magic.

I saw recently in the news that Wicca is the fastest growing religion amongst teenagers 14-15 years old in the USA.

I work in Marketing & Advertising - if there is one thing I know well it is this: if you publicise something over and over in a positive light - popularity of that item will increase. I've never seen an exception to this.
Sleeker

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 07:52:31 PM »

Alright, I'm a very enthusiatic fan of Harry Potter, who feels the need to defend it.  Also, I like the first two movies much better than the third, but it's still good.

Besides saying there's witchcraft, why is Harry Potter evil?

Addressing the witchcraft part: Actual sorcery is not real.  A kid might pick up a stick, point it at a rock, and say "Wingardium Leviosa"," but do you know what?  Nothing is going to happen.  The kid will just be temporarily be disappointed, drop the stick, and go have a nice cookie.  I don't really see the point in the Bible saying witchcraft is bad and don't do it, because of the sole reason that nobody can do it.

Again, besides just mentioning it has wizards in it, why is Harry Potter evil?  In your own words please!  I don't want to go read a 500+ word essay that you copied and pasted, nor do I want to go to a link and read the 500+ word essay on there.  Simply list why it's evil.
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2005, 02:43:06 PM »

Again, besides just mentioning it has wizards in it, why is Harry Potter evil?  In your own words please!  I don't want to go read a 500+ word essay that you copied and pasted, nor do I want to go to a link and read the 500+ word essay on there.  Simply list why it's evil.

Admirable as your question may be, I can assure you with 100% confidence that if any anti-Harry Potter Christians bothered to respond to your post, all you'd get would be:
-it has witchcraft
-it's influenced by the Devil
-it has witchcraft
-there's witchcraft in it
-the Bible condemns witchcraft
-I can't prove it's actual witchcraft, but the books have witchcraft in them
-I'm stupid and I haven't actually read the books, but I know they have true witchcraft in them because the teenagers in the books play with wands, or so I've heard from other close-minded idiots who are not open to imagination or all the good these books have brought to the literate community

It's all getting tired and repetitive.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »

Admirable as your question may be, I can assure you with 100% confidence that if any anti-Harry Potter Christians bothered to respond to your post, all you'd get would be:
-it has witchcraft
-it's influenced by the Devil
-it has witchcraft
-there's witchcraft in it
-the Bible condemns witchcraft
-I can't prove it's actual witchcraft, but the books have witchcraft in them
-I'm stupid and I haven't actually read the books, but I know they have true witchcraft in them because the teenagers in the books play with wands, or so I've heard from other close-minded idiots who are not open to imagination or all the good these books have brought to the literate community

It's all getting tired and repetitive.

I guess I am one of those "closed minded idiots". Any book or movie that attempts to make its characters equal to God in capability is indeed evil and should be avoided. It tends to lead many people into cult worshiping and setting others up to accept Satan as their leader.

As for imagination, there are many good books that can exercise the imagination without bringing the occult into it.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 06:11:28 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
shrekandogre

Romans 8:1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2005, 11:25:07 PM »

Hey to Sapphire W34P0N  heres an idea read the books then comment on them.  Because then your not even giving it a chance and they are really entertaining books and I enjoy reading them.  Do I know witchcraft is bad? yes Do i see the witchcraft in HP and realize its bad? yes and yes.  But here's one thing to consider.  Its fiction aka its not real.  There is nothing wrong with it.  Maybe how people respond to it but its their fault for doing that.  The book aren't saying go become a wizard or witch, go get involved in Wicca and its not encouraging it either.  I mean what about Lord of the Rings...J.R. Tolkien,Christian author...both good and evil use "witchcraft"  through Gandalf and Saurman.  Its how you respond its not the books.  I just makes me mad when people complain about the books and haven't even read them.

I know what I wrote I was there when I wrote it.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 12:51:02 AM »

Hey to Sapphire W34P0N  heres an idea read the books then comment on them.  Because then your not even giving it a chance and they are really entertaining books and I enjoy reading them.  Do I know witchcraft is bad? yes Do i see the witchcraft in HP and realize its bad? yes and yes.  But here's one thing to consider.  Its fiction aka its not real.  There is nothing wrong with it.  Maybe how people respond to it but its their fault for doing that.  The book aren't saying go become a wizard or witch, go get involved in Wicca and its not encouraging it either.  I mean what about Lord of the Rings...J.R. Tolkien,Christian author...both good and evil use "witchcraft"  through Gandalf and Saurman.  Its how you respond its not the books.  I just makes me mad when people complain about the books and haven't even read them.
Well Sapphire W34P0N know my opinion of Harry Potter. I also don't like Lord of the Rings. Though I have read both, yes they are well written. I just don't care for either set of books.

By the way shrekandogre, welcome to Christians Unite forums.

Resting with the Lord.
Bob

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »

DreamWeaver, I can appreciate that. If you read the books, form your own opinion and don't try to force it on everyone else by claiming it's evil and that they're sinning by reading them, I don't mind.

Any book or movie that attempts to make its characters equal to God in capability is indeed evil and should be avoided.

I'm guessing you've never read the books, because no one in the series has power or capability that is equal to God, nor is there even the slightest hinting at such an idea.

As for imagination, there are many good books that can exercise the imagination without bringing the occult into it.

occult (n): 1. Supernatural forces and events and beings collectively

If you're going to take this definition, God and His angels would certainly fit into that description.

occult (n): 2. Occult practices and techniques

If you're going to take this definition, Harry Potter has as much to do with the definition as the Bible does (referencing definition #1).

Hey to Sapphire W34P0N  heres an idea read the books then comment on them.

I don't know where this whole post came from. If YOU'RE going to comment on MY thread, at least read it first so you can find out exactly who's defending what.

I love the Harry Potter books and find nothing blasphemous or sinful about them.

Do i see the witchcraft in HP and realize its bad? yes and yes.  But here's one thing to consider.  Its fiction aka its not real. There is nothing wrong with it.

You know what you just did with this comment? You just gave the entire contingent of anti-HP Christians a full stock of ammo and weapons to use against you. I, of course, disagree strongly with the first part of this statement.

J.R. Tolkien,Christian author

J.R.R. Tolkein was Roman Catholic.
shrekandogre

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 11:11:53 PM »

sry the reading part was responding to your previous post which i though you were agreeing with them.  but that is a problem with most people.   This Tolkien thing...im not even going to start on this Catholic thing because we've been warned about it.  But please dont say that about Catholics not that I am one but your being just as bad as me by making assumptions.  If you question the basis of the Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's Christianity read this article...an excpert from "Finding God in The Lord of the Rings" by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware.  http://www.family.org/teenguys/breakmag/features/a0018699.html

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 05:00:59 PM »

Arguing about what religion someone else is is not going to cause trouble...if you argue about which faith is "right," then you'll stir up some controversy and get yourself banned.

But please dont say that about Catholics not that I am one but your being just as bad as me by making assumptions.

Again, I have no idea what you're referring to. I never said anything good or bad about Catholicism; I just said that J.R.R. Tolkien was one.

Look, I've heard multiple things on Tolkien in regards to his faith; I don't know what is actually true, but just because Tolkien wrote books that parallel Christianity doesn't mean he's not Catholic.

Look at this quote from a site I found when searching on Google with the words "tolkien catholic:"

"J. R. R. Tolkien once described his epic masterpiece The Lord of the Rings as 'a fundamentally religious and Catholic work.'"
http://www.decentfilms.com/commentary/faithandfantasy.html

I don't know what religion Tolkien was, and frankly, I don't care. If you can draw edifying things from the series, what does it matter what the author's intentions were?
shrekandogre

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 05:22:33 PM »

But please dont say that about Catholics not that I am one but your being just as bad as me by making assumptions.

Again, I have no idea what you're referring to. I never said anything good or bad about Catholicism; I just said that J.R.R. Tolkien was one.

Go back a couple posts ago....
J.R. Tolkien,Christian author

J.R.R. Tolkein was Roman Catholic.

Your saying right there hey hes not Christian he's R.C.  thats were i got that from.

Getting_Real

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 11:11:10 PM »

Errmmm....as I said before, whether the content of the books themselves is evil is basically, to me, inconsequential.

The modern societal portayal of magic and witchcraft as a good thing is great marketing for it, whether it's intended or not.

Hence the fact that Wicca is growing so fast among teenagers in the USA today.

PS - of course witchcraft has power (esp over people) - that's like saying demons cannot have power over people.
kittiara

Clinging to my faith.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 03:01:06 PM »

Personally I like the Harry Potter books.

I didn't enjoy the first two films too much, but I had been looking forward to the third one, as that was my favorite book. I was quite surprised with the film. I agree with the review, there were quite a few things changed or missing, but by itself it is rather good, especially compared to the first two.

Scary? I think some bits might be a bit scary for younger viewers. I reckon that the ..what are they called again..dementors? might give them a bit of a fright. But that is just my opinion.

Yes, there is witchcraft in Harry Potter. If you focus on that then you get the witchcraft=evil conclusion. To me, that is not what Harry Potter is about, however.

There is a lot of good that kids can learn from these films as well. Putting the entertainment aspect aside. Harry is a boy who has been raised in not very pleasant circumstances, then learns that there is so much more out there than he is used to. He finds friendship. And it is a very loyal friendship, too. And there is the love his parents had from him, which plays a big part in the books. In fact, the biggest defense Harry has against evil is not some wicked, destructive spell, but love. Just as love was what saved him when he was just a baby.

If looking into it deeper, and if people read the books up until the most recent one, it is also very much about Harry's inner struggle against his own darkness because he is very aware that he has this inside of him.

On a side note - it is very hard not to love the world. At least, in my opinion. God created so much beauty all around us. There is such lovely nature, so many beautiful places. And the wildlife. I do not think I could go through life not enjoying these things. And those are just a few examples.

And I do agree that people have been given creativity and imagination. Why would God give us talents if we are not to use it? I love writing poetry, I love listening to music, I love reading. Fiction does not have to be evil and bad. Non Christian music does not have to be bad.

Just my opinions...

Kit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the