Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:24:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  (Read 9698 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2005, 04:02:28 PM »

Never saw it.  Don't intend too.  Not cause I think it's evil.  Sorta along the same lines of why I refuse to watch Legally Blonde with my wife.   Grin

I did, however, manage to see the extended version of the Return of the King, which, I must say, simply was fantastic.  Apart from having split with the book at several points, it made for fine movie plot/storyline enjoyment.  It's a must see.  I give it a rousing two thumbs up!  Why only two?  Because I only have two and don't feel like borrowing someone elses to bolster my opinion of the fine nature of said film.  I am above such childishness.  Grin

And if you don't like LoTR....

hehehee!  Jus' kiddin'...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 04:03:53 PM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »

Post #1: But please dont say that about Catholics not that I am one but your being just as bad as me by making assumptions.

Ok. You said I was making assumptions about Catholics, by which I assume you meant Catholics in general. This is why I am a strong advocate of being literate and becoming able to express ideas concisely.

Post #2: Go back a couple posts ago....
J.R. Tolkien,Christian author

J.R.R. Tolkein was Roman Catholic.

Your saying right there hey hes not Christian he's R.C.  thats were i got that from.

Now, if you had read my full post, you would have realized that I gave a reaosn for saying he was Catholic, along with a quote from a site I found by searching Google. You say he's Christian, I say he's Catholic, is basically what's going on here. We both give examples of sites that have quotes supporting either argument. So who's more credible?

Obviously, me. Roll Eyes

Kittiara, you are a poster after my own heart. Well, almost. Nice points there.
Sleeker

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 07:51:30 PM »

I guess I am one of those "closed minded idiots". Any book or movie that attempts to make its characters equal to God in capability is indeed evil and should be avoided. It tends to lead many people into cult worshiping and setting others up to accept Satan as their leader.

As for imagination, there are many good books that can exercise the imagination without bringing the occult into it.
First of all, being able to do magic isn't equal to God.  Notice how they have to learn spells, they don't just know them.  They have to use a wand, and not just wish it.  They can't do everything (or else no witches or wizards in the books would ever die).  How do you know what it make people tend to do?  From personal experience, it tends to let others start reading.

Harry Potter shows loyalty, bravery, doing what's right and not what's easy, friendship, and, most of all, love.  I don't see what can be wrong with a story that preaches all of that.

J.R.R. Tolkein was Roman Catholic.
I am too, but we're still Christian (I didn't know Tolkien was).  Catholics seem to be taboo in here.  People don't seem to believe both Protestants and Catholics (of which Roman Catholics are just a sect of), and possibly the members Greek Orthodox, are Christians... Also, here's a quote from the foreword of my Fellowship of the Ring: "As for any inner meaning of 'message', it has in the intention of the author none.  It is neither allegorical nor topical."  He wrote it for the story, not as a parallel to Christianity or anything else.

P.S.  Sorry if what I said isn't allowed.  If it is, just tell me so I can see where the "line" is.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 07:52:52 PM by Sleeker » Logged
shrekandogre

Romans 8:1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2005, 11:28:47 AM »

We both give examples of sites that have quotes supporting either argument. So who's more credible?

Obviously, me. Roll Eyes

Im so glad you dont have any self confiendence issues why do you think your more credible.

I know what I wrote I was there when I wrote it.
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2005, 04:46:39 PM »

Im so glad you dont have any self confiendence issues why do you think your more credible.

I'm so glad you don't have any self confidence issues. Why do you think you're more credible?

Because I make more concise and intelligently-written posts, I've been at this site longer than you have, and tend to be right on these sorts of subjects.

If someone who'd never been here before came to this thread and looked at my posts compared to yours, I think they'd put more faith in mine than yours.

You don't come off as someone who reads my entire posts, or at the very least, bothers to understand them, as most of your replies have already been addressed by something I posted earlier. If you can't give me a reason to believe you're correct on J.R.R. Tokien's religious beliefs, than stop posting on that subject.

Also, here's a quote from the foreword of my Fellowship of the Ring: "As for any inner meaning of 'message', it has in the intention of the author none.  It is neither allegorical nor topical."  He wrote it for the story, not as a parallel to Christianity or anything else.

I don't want to start a whole new debate here, but I have read different (see a quote from Tolkien in one of my above posts). Again, who knows if Tolkien purposely wrote it for allegorical purposes? There have been metaphors drawn from it whether he meant it or not, so I don't see how his intentions are really consequential.
shrekandogre

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2005, 11:36:37 PM »

Ohhh....im sorry i dont take the time to edit my posts for spelling.  Why...hmmm dont care.   There ya go im one of those people who would be brilliant if he applied himself and now im just smart because i sleep all the time.   Just because youve been here longer doesnt mean your not wrong.  Its like saying old people are smarter because they been alive more. I would disagree im smarter then so many old people.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2005, 04:38:22 PM »

*Sigh.*

Ohhh....im sorry i dont take the time to edit my posts for spelling.  Why...hmmm dont care.  There ya go im one of those people who would be brilliant if he applied himself and now im just smart because i sleep all the time.

Everyone would be brilliant if they "applied themselves," so as far as I'm concerned, you're purposely letting yourself be stupid. Or, at least, look stupid. Because you really haven't shown yourself to be smart at all.

Just because youve been here longer doesnt mean your not wrong.

I never said I wasn't wrong (in fact, I blatantly said that I wasn't completely sure what religion Tolkien was), I just said I was more credible. Credibility is earned, and I don't think you've made yourself out to be a credible person, since all anyone has to go by are your ignorantly posted replies.

Its like saying old people are smarter because they been alive more.

This comment is nil because of my above reply, but I'll grant that it's not a bad analogy.

I would disagree im smarter then so many old people.

See, this is the danger of bad grammar. You just made yourself look like more of an idiot, especially because of your comment about old people. There are two ways to write this:

I would disagree that I'm smarter then so many old people.

I would disagree. I'm smarter then so many old people.

The first one makes you look stupid, in case you're wondering.
shrekandogre

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2005, 11:44:34 PM »

yeah i know my grammer sucks but hey i dont care so why should you guys.  if you want to spend time correcting it go right ahead. Maybe i should stay awake in English that might be a plan but hey that would require listening to people discuss a person turning into a cockroach.  Hmmm...i think ill take the sleep.

Getting_Real

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2005, 01:00:04 AM »

Yes, there is witchcraft in Harry Potter. If you focus on that then you get the witchcraft=evil conclusion.

I didn't get that simple of a conclusion. Refer to my earlier posts.
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2005, 04:34:05 PM »

yeah i know my grammer sucks but hey i dont care so why should you guys.

Technically, it's only me who cares. I care because grammar is an important aspect in almost every practical application of life, at least when it comes to showing your intelligence. If you want to look like a sixth-grader, I'm sure I'll get over it. It's you I'm worried about.

Maybe i should stay awake in English that might be a plan but hey that would require listening to people discuss a person turning into a cockroach.

I think this is a good life lesson, don't you? Basically, we all have to sit through things or do things we don't want to, but ironically, it's usually beneficial for us in the end.

Hmmm...i think ill take the sleep.

Yeah, you're cool. Only cool people sleep during class, after all.
Roll Eyes
Maybe if you weren't on the Internet at 12:00 in the morning, you wouldn't need the sleep.
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2005, 02:37:54 PM »

Okay, I finally seen the 3rd movie, my friend whom is a an MD, came and brought it over and we both watched the DVD and ate pizza. I really wasn't empressed by this movie either, I still like the first one though.

tsu05

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 11:05:35 PM »

i dont know i was impressed with this one i think theyll get better every year i cant wait for the Goblet of Fire.

I know what I wrote, I was there when I wrote it
Sweden

That's right, I'm a Jesus freak!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2005, 03:58:26 PM »

I think that Harry Potter is GREAT, but LOTR is even BETTER! lol
That is my opinion.. Grin

What will people think when they hear that I'm a Jesus freak?
What will people do when they find that it's true?
I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak, cause there ain't no disgussing the truth
Tabitha

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 10:43:49 PM »

I think your review is dead on, Sapphire. I don't see how they are going to make up some of the plot in the rest of the movies. Percy, for example, becomes a much more important figure in the fifth and sixth book, but is barely mentioned or seen in the first movie when his anal character is fairly established in the first book. The graphics on the first two movies were fairly basic but I think they have grown by leaps and bounds; Buckbeak's flight was breath-taking, quite a difference from the mountain troll in the first movie. I think it's my favorite so far.  

I agree with you to an extent, Getting_Real, but the Wicca that is protrayed by the media is not the real Wicca. The real Wicca was created in the 1950's and has nothing to do with magick unless it is intergrated with other pagan religions. I was a teen when Charmed, Buffy, and some movie title that escapes me at the moment was out. At the time I identified myself as a Wiccan (without the benefit of Harry Potter btw), but grew out of it when I realized how stupid and selfish the spells are. Spells work much better when there's a green screen and a grip boy behind them. Most intelligent people may experiment with Wicca, but won't stick with it because it's a silly religion.

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."
C. S. Lewis
Brother Jerm

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2005, 10:30:12 PM »

Witches, Wizards, and the word of God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witches wizards and the word of God
"Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of thier fornication, nor of their thefts." Rev. 9:21 "And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations decieved." Rev. 18.23
  This scripture comes from the book of Revelation, the final book of God's word, which deals with the end time. One might expect murder, fornication, and theft to be widespread sins in the last days . Just turn on your devil-vision (if you have cable), and you can get a healthy dose in about 2 seconds. But notice a fourth sin is mentioned as well: sorcery. According to God's word, we can expect to see an increase in srocery as the second coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ draws near.
  According to the Webster dictionary, the word "sorcery" means "magic; enchantment; witchcraft; divination by the assistance or the supposed assitance of evil spirits, or the power of commanding evil spirits."
  One does not have to look very far to see that God's word is being fulfilled before our very eyes. Along with numerous other Biblical signs that our Lord's return is near, we are witnessing a huge increase in occultism. Much of this obviously due to the way many books, movies, and devilvision programs are glamorizing such evil practices as witchcraft and wizardry. Let's face it people, witchcraft and magic have saturated our world and pop-culture. And it seems nobody wants to listen to their brothers and sisters in Christ when they get told that Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, C.S. Lewis, etc., are wrong in the eyes of God. So, let's see what God has to say through his word. Then you can argue with God, and not me. God's word clearly condemns all such practices, yet millions of people, especially young people, are being led to believe that it is possible to be a good witch or a good wizard. Nothing could be further from the truth.
  Satan is playing a very nasty trick on our parents and children. Books such as lord of the rings and the Harry Potter series are presenting two kinds of witches and wizards: evil ones and good ones. The books and movies offer a "built-in" contrast so that no one looks elsewhere for a contrast. In other words, the "good" witches look very good compared to the "evil" witches. The psychological effect is that the mind of the reader or viewer becomes satisfied with the "fair balance" and sees no reason to look outside the movie or book for more accurate information. Consequently, millions of Christians will read a Harry Potter book and never read the Bible to see what God says about witches, wizards, and magic. Most Christians and people have been given only one side of the story: the Hollywood side.
  While expecting everyone to be open-minded and allow their children to be influenced by occultism, the promoters of this wickedness have maintained a very closed mind by never telling anyone what God's word says about witchcraft and wizardry. After reading this, you will know God's side. It's up to you wether you will accept the conviction of the Holly Spirit. Hopefully, you will be smart enough to realize that you've been decieved by Satan and filthy rich producers. They have fed children, Christians, and the world a massive lie, and we all have paid them for it.
The money they recieved from us will help empower them to sell their lies to others in the form of more books and movies. I am guilty of this just much as the next person. As a baby Christian, I was swept up in the lord of the rings movies. I have since repented, got right with God, and burned all of my things related to witchcraft. Yes burned. "Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men:" Acts 19:19
  God is quite clear in his word, there are no good witches or wizards: "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee. Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God. For these nations, which thou shalt posses, hearkened unto obsevers of times, and unto diviners" but as for thee, the Lord thy God hath not suffered thee so to do." Dueteronomy 18:10-14
 HMMMMM. Now, think about that, friend. Either God lied to us in the Bible, or Satan is lying to you in the movies and books. God said that Harry Potter and his buddies are an abomination. God said Sabrina the teenage witch is an abomination. God said Gandolf and his pals are an abomination. God said any kind of witchcraft is an abomintation, not just a sin, but an abomination. Do you have the faith and courage to believe God?
  "Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor obsever times.....Regard not them that have familiar spirits, neither seek after wizards, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God." Lev.26, 31 " And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.....A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them." Lev. 20:6, 27
  cont.

---
"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:" 2 Timothy 4:7
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the