Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  So few will be saved
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So few will be saved  (Read 14911 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2004, 08:58:24 AM »

I am deeply saddened by how few are and actually will be saved. I can understand why Jesus wept so much. There is so much pride, arrogance, and God-hating in the world. It is simply much easier for human beings to believe in our own opinions instead of Christ's words because it feels good to think we're smart. Some days I just have to grieve the state of the human condition. What's even sadder is that all have a chance to be saved. But unfortunately, humility is too high a price for most people to pay for their salvation.
Reba
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 10:22:20 AM »

I am deeply saddened by how few are and actually will be saved. I can understand why Jesus wept so much. There is so much pride, arrogance, and God-hating in the world. It is simply much easier for human beings to believe in our own opinions instead of Christ's words because it feels good to think we're smart. Some days I just have to grieve the state of the human condition. What's even sadder is that all have a chance to be saved. But unfortunately, humility is too high a price for most people to pay for their salvation.

I have read your posts, for what, about a year now? You have a vast knowledge of the word. Having said that i do not understand how you can so negative.

I am deeply saddened by how few are and actually will be saved.

You and I do not know  His accounting nor do we understand His grace and mercy

I can understand why Jesus wept so much. There is so much pride, arrogance, and God-hating in the world.  

Sure He wept but He did the saving  it is done. We are to rejoice in His VICTORY!

It is simply much easier for human beings to believe in our own opinions instead of Christ's words because it feels good to think we're smart.  

Think on this when your brothers/sisters in the Lord challenge you.

Some days I just have to grieve the state of the human condition.  

Amen. But  do not forget the price was paid in full.

What's even sadder is that all have a chance to be saved. But unfortunately, humility is too high a price for most people to pay for their salvation.

Salvation is not by chance, with your knowledge of scripture how can you write such a statement? Heidi, you say  “ humility is too high a price for most people to pay for their salvation.” ? Did you drop your pride to pay for your salvation?  You know you didn’t .  Not one of us sinful people can do anything to  pay for our salvation. You know this passage…

Eph 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Maybe  fighting the good fight, via the forums, for so long has pushed the picture of His victory aside.

Phil 4:8,9

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
KJV

We are failing humans some times we need to rest in Him, retreat, regroup. You know well He is our peace our rest.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 10:23:54 AM by Reba » Logged
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 10:44:30 AM »

Salvation is not by chance, with your knowledge of scripture how can you write such a statement? Heidi, you say  “ humility is too high a price for most people to pay for their salvation.” ? Did you drop your pride to pay for your salvation?  You know you didn’t .  Not one of us sinful people can do anything to  pay for our salvation. You know this passage…

I think she was talking about not being humble enough to "fully" trust Jesus for our salvation.  Some think we must still add our good works to His sacrifice for salvation.

Faith + anything is not the Good News of Christ.

Because of God's grace He allows us by faith to stand in His grace. The good works that He prepared for us are the fruit of the grace in which we stand.

Being therefore justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ; through whom we also have our access by faith into this grace in which we stand. We rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only this, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering works perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope: and hope doesn't disappoint us, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were yet weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly... But God commends his own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we will be saved from God's wrath through him. For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we will be saved by his life... The law came in besides, that the trespass might abound; but where sin abounded, grace abounded more exceedingly; that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 5:1-21)

for by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, that no one would boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them. (Eph 2:8-10)

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:32:54 AM »

I have read your posts, for what, about a year now? You have a vast knowledge of the word. Having said that i do not understand how you can so negative.

I am deeply saddened by how few are and actually will be saved.

You and I do not know  His accounting nor do we understand His grace and mercy

I can understand why Jesus wept so much. There is so much pride, arrogance, and God-hating in the world.  

Sure He wept but He did the saving  it is done. We are to rejoice in His VICTORY!

It is simply much easier for human beings to believe in our own opinions instead of Christ's words because it feels good to think we're smart.  

Think on this when your brothers/sisters in the Lord challenge you.

Some days I just have to grieve the state of the human condition.  

Amen. But  do not forget the price was paid in full.

What's even sadder is that all have a chance to be saved. But unfortunately, humility is too high a price for most people to pay for their salvation.

Eph 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Maybe  fighting the good fight, via the forums, for so long has pushed the picture of His victory aside.

Phil 4:8,9

8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
KJV

We are failing humans some times we need to rest in Him, retreat, regroup. You know well He is our peace our rest.  

AMEN SIS!!![/b][/u]  I see God there.  Nicely posted.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2004, 08:11:51 AM »

This is my covenant to them, when I will take away their sins." Concerning the Good News, they are enemies for your sake. But concerning the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sake. For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. (Rom 11:27-29)

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to his purpose. For whom he foreknew, he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Whom he predestined, those he also called. Whom he called, those he also justified. Whom he justified, those he also glorified. (Rom 8:28-30)

But arise, and stand on your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose: to appoint you a servant and a witness both of the things which you have seen, and of the things which I will reveal to you; delivering you from the people, and from the Gentiles, to whom I send you, to open their eyes, that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive remission of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in me.' (Act 26:16-18)

But, brothers, I wrote to you boldly, as reminding you in part, because of the grace that is given to me by God, that I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the nations, ministering the gospel of God, so that the offering up of the nations might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Spirit. (Rom 15:15-16)

And such were some of you. But you are washed, but you are sanctified, but you are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. All things are lawful to me, but not all things profit. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. (1Co 6:11-12)

It doesn't matter that the Catholics call them "New Law" sacraments.  You still can't get there from works of the OLD or NEW law.

You can't finish something that you never started...being "weak through the flesh"

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death. For what the law couldn't do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh; (Rom 8:2-3)

"Having begun in the Spirit, do you now perfect yourself in the flesh?"

This only I would learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law, or by hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, do you now perfect yourself in the flesh? Did you suffer so many things in vain, if indeed it is even in vain? Then He supplying the Spirit to you and working powerful works in you, is it by works of the law, or by hearing of faith? Even as Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness. Therefore know that those of faith, these are the sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the nations through faith, preached the gospel before to Abraham, saying, "In you shall all nations be blessed." So then those of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. For as many as are out of works of the Law, these are under a curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the Book of the Law, to do them." But that no one is justified by the Law in the sight of God is clear, for, "The just shall live by faith." But the Law is not of faith; but, "The man who does these things shall live in them." (Gal 3:2-12)

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that being justified by His grace, we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Faithful is the Word, and as to these things, I desire that you strongly affirm that those believing God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men...And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, so that they may not be unfruitful. All those with me greet you. Greet those who love us in the faith. May grace be with you all. Amen. (Tit 3:4-15)

Works are fruits of those believing God.

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
Reba
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 09:06:19 AM »

Christ's death was/is a victory! He did not die in vain. The number of those who are saved will be exactly correct.

Those who are saved from , how do i say this, hm , before the cross were many.  2000 years ago our numbers were only about 12.  He is the builder of His church He is the Master carpenter. He does not fail.

Praise to the Holy One , King, Saviour, Lord , Sovereign, Mighty God,...

Amazing love how can it be that my King would die for me...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 12:16:45 PM by Reba » Logged
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 11:16:24 AM »

Blackeyedpeas,

Hold on Blackeyedpeas. Don't be to hard on Spirit2 regarding the above post.  I don't know about other posts of his but here he is not espousing something much different from a lot of others.

I probably should have also quoted the italic portion of his post where he makes the statement.
I think she was talking about not being humble enough to "fully" trust Jesus for our salvation.  Some think we must still add our good works to His sacrifice for salvation.

Faith + anything is not the Good News of Christ.

The last line about adding works to His sacrifice for salvation is in reference to the Objective work of Christ which man could never accomplish through the 'works of the law'
However the next phrase, Faith + anything..... is then followed by his less than adaquate explanation of 'works or righteousness'.  These are two different things.
Works of Righteousness IS faith. Faith is always active, not passive.
Your statement is also incorrect because it lacks a comma.
Your statement.
Our salvation is by GOD'S GRACE, THROUGH FAITH ALONE IN JESUS CHRIST AS OUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOUR.
Here is how the Bible describes it as:
Our salvation is by GOD'S GRACE, THROUGH FAITH, ALONE IN JESUS CHRIST AS OUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOUR.
It is not faith plus ever, it is faith but faith is active. The book of Romans spells out the contrast between the two 'works of the law' and 'works of righteousness' and James speaks of faith and works (works of righteousness) as being the same. One cannot go without the other.
Too many people do not separate the objective work of Christ with man's response to that free gift.

People tend to get so caught up and confused by this.  James isn't saying that works must go along side grace for salvation.  He's saying that a faith that isn't active isn't a faith.  He is characterizing, not stipulating.  If one is saved, then their faith is an active, living faith.   They work, they serve, they believe and trust God, not in order to be saved, but because they are saved.  A "faith" that isn't seen in works is a questionable faith at best.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 12:51:25 PM »

The book of Romans spells out the contrast between the two 'works of the law' and 'works of righteousness' and James speaks of faith and works (works of righteousness) as being the same.

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that being justified by His grace, we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Faithful is the Word, and as to these things, I desire that you strongly affirm that those believing God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable to men...And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, so that they may not be unfruitful. All those with me greet you. Greet those who love us in the faith. May grace be with you all. Amen. (Tit 3:4-15)

For if Abraham was justified [or, declared righteous] by works, he has [grounds for] boasting-_but_ not before God. For what does the Scripture say? "But Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." But to the one working, the reward [or, his wage] is not accounted [or, considered] according to grace, _but_ according to debt. (Rom 4:2-4)

- True faith shows itself by its children

Abraham our father, he was justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works, having offered Isaac his son upon the altar, was he not? [Gen. 22:9] Do you see that his faith was working together with his works, and by means of the works his faith was perfected? And [so] was fulfilled the Scripture, the one saying, "But Abraham believed [or, trusted] God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called a friend of God.  So you* see that a person is justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works and not by means of faith only. So likewise also Rahab the prostitute was justified [or, shown to be righteous] by means of works, having welcomed the messengers and having sent [them] out by a different way, was she not? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so also one's faith without such works is dead. (Jam 2:21-26)

Justified as used in James is to be "shown to be righteous".  

Context showing ones faith to another...Giving evidence of ones faith to another.

Yes, a man will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith. (Jam 2:18)

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 01:47:38 PM »

2000 years ago our numbers were only about 12

That's not what we find in the New Testament. The 12 apostles were Christ's close associates, but there were MANY who believed and were also genuine disciples. So let's stop promoting this falsehood that there were only "12" disciples.

There were (and will also be) only "twelve apostles of the Lamb" who will sit on 12 thrones ruling the 12 tribes of Israel, and having their names engraved in the 12 foundations of the wall of the Heavenly Jerusalem. Obviously, Judas is not among these, but Paul is.

But there were also 70 sent out as evangelists, and outside of those there were still others who followed Christ, many being faithful women. There were also the disciples of John who followed the Lord after the Baptizer's death.

In Matthew 8, we find a leper who worships Christ, and a centurion who believes on Him. We also find Peter's mother-in-law who ministers to Christ and His apostles. Then we find a demoniac in Gadara who is cleansed of his demons and not only worships Christ, but wants to remain with Him, and who  is told to go and preach the Gospel to his own people.

In Matthew 9 we find Matthew joining the disciples, Jairus trusting Christ, the woman with the issue of blood trusting Him, two blind men trusting Him, and who knows how many trusting Him as "HE WENT ABOUT ALL THE CITIES AND VILLAGES, TEACHING IN THEIR SYNAGOGUES, AND PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM, AND HEALING EVERY SICKNESS AND EVERY DISEASE AMONG THE PEOPLE" (Mt. 9:35).

We could go right through the Gospels and enumerate many others beside the 12 and the 70 who genuinely followed Christ.
But, as it is today, so it was then. All believers are not always disciples or "followers" or walking in the steps of Christ. But there were many who believed in Christ before His crucifixion, including the Samaritan woman and many Samaritians.

While the sum total of believers will be "small" in comparison to the totality of humanity, it will still be "a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues" (Rev.7:9).

God has not elected some to Heaven and others to Hell. He is not willing that any should perish, BUT THAT ALL SHOULD COME TO REPENTANCE.

The sad truth is that the Church on earth has been neglecting,  and continues to neglect it's mandate, which is to "preach the Gospel to every creature".  In the city where I live, there is NOT ONE SINGLE CHURCH WHICH POSTS THE GOSPEL MESSAGE IN THE DAILY NEWSPAPER EVERY DAY, OR ON SECULAR RADIO, OR ON SECULAR TV. How is it in your cities?

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
sojourner

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 04:16:52 PM »

Allinall,

James isn't saying that works must go along side grace for salvation.
I need to have you define just how you are using the word salvation here. Since we don't have context to define the different uses the Bible uses with this word.  Redemption is used as well but is it always used for Christ's objective work only.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2004, 04:36:36 PM »

Allinall,

James isn't saying that works must go along side grace for salvation.
I need to have you define just how you are using the word salvation here. Since we don't have context to define the different uses the Bible uses with this word.  Redemption is used as well but is it always used for Christ's objective work only.

Salvation:  Atoned, Redeemed, Justified, Sanctified, Forgiven and Purchased.  Saved from sin's penalty, being saved from sin's power, and to be saved from sin's very presence in eternity with Jesus.   Smiley

That help?

Reba
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 05:35:46 PM »

2000 years ago our numbers were only about 12

That's not what we find in the New Testament. The 12 apostles were Christ's close associates, but there were MANY who believed and were also genuine disciples. So let's stop promoting this falsehood that there were only "12" disciples.

There were (and will also be) only "twelve apostles of the Lamb" who will sit on 12 thrones ruling the 12 tribes of Israel, and having their names engraved in the 12 foundations of the wall of the Heavenly Jerusalem. Obviously, Judas is not among these, but Paul is.

But there were also 70 sent out as evangelists, and outside of those there were still others who followed Christ, many being faithful women. There were also the disciples of John who followed the Lord after the Baptizer's death.

In Matthew 8, we find a leper who worships Christ, and a centurion who believes on Him. We also find Peter's mother-in-law who ministers to Christ and His apostles. Then we find a demoniac in Gadara who is cleansed of his demons and not only worships Christ, but wants to remain with Him, and who  is told to go and preach the Gospel to his own people.

In Matthew 9 we find Matthew joining the disciples, Jairus trusting Christ, the woman with the issue of blood trusting Him, two blind men trusting Him, and who knows how many trusting Him as "HE WENT ABOUT ALL THE CITIES AND VILLAGES, TEACHING IN THEIR SYNAGOGUES, AND PREACHING THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM, AND HEALING EVERY SICKNESS AND EVERY DISEASE AMONG THE PEOPLE" (Mt. 9:35).

We could go right through the Gospels and enumerate many others beside the 12 and the 70 who genuinely followed Christ.
But, as it is today, so it was then. All believers are not always disciples or "followers" or walking in the steps of Christ. But there were many who believed in Christ before His crucifixion, including the Samaritan woman and many Samaritians.

While the sum total of believers will be "small" in comparison to the totality of humanity, it will still be "a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues" (Rev.7:9).

God has not elected some to Heaven and others to Hell. He is not willing that any should perish, BUT THAT ALL SHOULD COME TO REPENTANCE.

The sad truth is that the Church on earth has been neglecting,  and continues to neglect it's mandate, which is to "preach the Gospel to every creature".  In the city where I live, there is NOT ONE SINGLE CHURCH WHICH POSTS THE GOSPEL MESSAGE IN THE DAILY NEWSPAPER EVERY DAY, OR ON SECULAR RADIO, OR ON SECULAR TV. How is it in your cities?
O for petes sake Sower. I said nothing about disciples! At some point in history i would bet one count count 12 who would have called them selfs christians.  My post was not  said as a "TRUTH"  but a generalized statment that  we as christians are growing in numbers. Most folks would know that as  i am sure you do.
sojourner

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2004, 05:46:24 PM »

Allinall,

That is a lot of terms but not all can be applied the same.
That is what I was assuming but thought I better get it clarified.

Salvation:  Atoned, Redeemed, Justified, Sanctified, Forgiven and Purchased.  Saved from sin's penalty, being saved from sin's power, and to be saved from sin's very presence in eternity with Jesus.
Take out the word, redeemed and the last sentence and those are inclusive terms which apply to mankind. That is Christ overcame death, redeemed all of creation. That work is called the objective work of Christ. It brought man back  into the potential of being in communion with Him once again. Until Christ came man was destined to be eternally separted from body and soul as well as from Christ.

In the Bible, in context, the word salvation is also used for this work. However salvation also applies to the believer who must separate himself from all of mankind.  That is the choice we make to either accept Christ or reject him. Both decisions are active, not passive.
Once we do that we fall under the other terms, which make use of the provisions also provided by Christ's work but does not apply to unbelievers until they accept Christ. We are justified by faith, we separate ourselves from mankind and begin a relationship with Christ which is a life long process.
Getting back to the "works" issue.  Many use all works to apply it to the subjective work of Christ. Man has no part whatsoever to play here, works of any kind will have no effect whatsoever. It is involuntary from man's perspective.
His response to that gift is voluntary.
However, the faith part is where the works of righteousness comes into play. You used it as a sanctifying process. You have separated it from what it actually is which is a continual process of 'being saved'. Faith is works righteousness and is salvation of the believer. There is no absolute 'saved' at the moment of acceptance and repentance.  Faith if it is active and continual, cannot save in a moment. That is why you use the 'faith +" wording which is not correct. It is just faith but also not faith alone which you use to separate the process of salvation into segments which is not Biblical.
Now, if faith has no works it is dead, which you stated correctly. However with works it is alive, faith is being strengthened, is being perfected, we are become more perfect IN CHRIST, however, we will not ever reach perfection in this lifetime. At any time in an individuals life he can change his mind, can regress instead of increase in faith. He can completely fail with 'works righteousness', and not be saved. It is never he is saved on some instant mental assent and then the rest of his life is inconsequencial and some sort of thankfulness. Fruits testify to faith. As long as there is fruit you have faith. No fruit, branch is cut off.
That is why 'eternal security' in unbiblical as well as losing ones salvation. You don't have it until death. When your life is complete, where you stand in relation to Christ is what matters, not where you started.
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 06:49:20 PM »

It is never he is saved on some instant mental assent and then the rest of his life is inconsequencial and some sort of thankfulness....That is why 'eternal security' in unbiblical as well as losing ones salvation. You don't have it until death. When your life is complete, where you stand in relation to Christ is what matters, not where you started.

Sojourner:

You have the Orthodox or Roman Catholic concept of justification because you have not looked carefully at what the Bible actually teaches.

Faith is not simply "mental assent" but absolute trust and confidence in the living God and His written Word [or spoken Word when the written Word was still not complete]. Scripture repeats again and again: "Abraham BELIEVED GOD and it was IMPUTED unto him for righteousness, and he was called the Friend of  God" (Jas. 2:23).

What does this mean? Have you ever sat down to truly understand this statement. A man, a sinner, believes God and God turns around and puts HIS OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS to that man's spiritual bank account? How can than be?

1. First of all, our righteousness counts for nothing -- in God's sight it is merely "filthy rags".

2. Unless we are as perfect as God Himself, we cannot enter Heaven.

3. Since we cannot earn our salvation, since our own righteousness is unacceptable, since we are all sinners, since the wages of sin is death, we are all lost, without hope, and without God.

4. But God already knew this, therefore prepared Himself a Lamb. This sinless Lamb, who is GOD manifest in the flesh, not only took all our sins upon Himself, but rose again from the dead so that we might be justified --- DECLARED RIGHTEOUS BY THE RIGHTEOUS JUDGE.

5. The moment a sinner BELIEVES GOD, which means he believes the Gospel, believes what God has said about His Son, believes on the son and his finished work on the cross as the Lamb of God, the moment a sinner repents -- turns from sins and idols to the living God and the Lord Jesus Christ -- HE OR SHE IS JUSTIFIED, DECLARED RIGHTEOUS, DECLARED AS PERFECT AS GOD. This means that the moment a believer dies, he enters into Heaven! On what grounds? (1) God's grace (2) Christ's finished work (3) justification by faith alone in Christ and His finished work plus nothing.

This is what it means when Scripture says "Abraham [Sower, Sojourner, whosoever] BELIEVED GOD and it was IMPUTED to him for righteousness".  

This is a GIFT of God -- the gift of eternal life. Those who receive the gift of eternal life become "new creatures", "God's workmanship" "created unto good works" (Eph. 2:10).  Don't confuse justification with sanctification, and sanctification with glorification.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 06:52:18 PM by Sower » Logged

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
sojourner

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 09:45:10 PM »

Sower,

You have the Orthodox or Roman Catholic concept of justification because you have not looked carefully at what the Bible actually teaches.
You are correct in that it is what the Orthodox Church believes which is the Apostolic Church. What you describe is the grain of falsehood started by St Augustine, a western Bishop, who teachings evertually became the backbone of Roman Catholicism. The forensic theory of salvation was then taken by Anselm  and Abelard who further developed the theory and then Reformers adopted it as well. Part of that theory is also what is called the pen-sub theory. (Penalty - Substitution)  It is the one thing they did not throw off in their break with Rome.

The error they made is taking only one of the medaphors and made it the only one to describe salvation. Righteousness is given in the share in which we participate in God's Grace.  We are not declared perfect, or not guilty at the moment of belief. This righteousness is not given as total or complete. It is also not external which the forensic theory maintains but internal.. Meaning it is not real.  It is protestants who have put little boxes around terms such as justification and sanctification.  The Bible does not, they are part and parcel of the same living experience of the Christian. A growth which starts with faith and ends in death. Faith and righteousness are actually given to us, not imputed with the forensic meaning, external and not really ours. As we increase in faith, the righteousness increases and the Spirit in us. Salvation is all grace and mercy.
It is only because Rome attached merit to it prior to the reformation that Luther and those since have been adament with regard to works and righteousness that they overlook the correct understanding that the Church had from which Rome broke.
Secondly, it is not reality. Do you actually see any perfected Christians here on earth? That is the unreal part. The whole NT speaks about the journey which would not even be necessary if we were declared not guilty and perfected. Incidently that is what we were created for in the first place. We were to bring His creation as a living sacrifice to Him. That was Adams work, why would it be any different for us. We are the same human essence, right?

In so far as I am faithful and live my faith well, I am righteous. It is accounted to me, not imputed externally.
In as much as I sin I am unrighteous and need constant forgiveness and if we grow, we should sin less, rid ourselves of sinful habits and live a life of love to all. Whatever unrighteousness still remains upon death is burned away and I am made pure or perfect. I Cor 3:15

I looked very carefully at what the Bible teaches and what was taught from the beginning. It has not changed from the beginning, notwithstanding Roman and Protestant innovations.

1. First of all, our righteousness counts for nothing -- in God's sight it is merely "filthy rags".
Our 'works righteousness' counts for  everything, we were specifically made for them. the filthy part deals with trying to do the works of the law to earn salvation.

2. Unless we are as perfect as God Himself, we cannot enter Heaven.
This is true, I explained that above, I Cor 3:15.

3. Since we cannot earn our salvation, since our own righteousness is unacceptable, since we are all sinners, since the wages of sin is death, we are all lost, without hope, and without God.
That describes our condition before Christ's death. We cannot earn by works, so He provided a free gift for all men, in fact all of creation. Since then, we have our hope in Christ because He was the victor over death. We no longer need die. We pass from this life to the next life. Spiritually and physically eventually.

But God already knew this, therefore prepared Himself a Lamb. This sinless Lamb, who is GOD manifest in the flesh, not only took all our sins upon Himself, but rose again from the dead so that we might be justified --- DECLARED RIGHTEOUS BY THE RIGHTEOUS JUDGE.
Not exactly. He conquered death. He provided for the forgiveness of sins but did not do away with sin.

5. The moment a sinner BELIEVES GOD, which means he believes the Gospel, believes what God has said about His Son, believes on the son and his finished work on the cross as the Lamb of God, the moment a sinner repents -- turns from sins and idols to the living God and the Lord Jesus Christ -- HE OR SHE IS JUSTIFIED, DECLARED RIGHTEOUS, DECLARED AS PERFECT AS GOD. This means that the moment a believer dies, he enters into Heaven! On what grounds? (1) God's grace (2) Christ's finished work (3) justification by faith alone in Christ and His finished work plus nothing.
If that be so, you should hope that everyone dies immediately upon belief. The reality is extremely different. It is protestantism through and through. It is not the Gospel once given for all. By your account Revelation was not given until sometime in the 16th and 17th century. There are as many views and divergent views even from the original reformers which gives clear evidence that it is not the Gospel once given. Who has the right story line. It comes down to what each really wants to accept.  We are justified by faith. Puts us in communion with God. Faith is worked out during the rest of our lives. This would not be possible if it were not for the finished work of Christ which made communion possible again That is justification which all men have available as well but faith activates for each individual who avails him/herself of that Gift.
This is a GIFT of God
It is all a gift. But the Gift first is to ALL MEN. It is up to us to receive it and then live in Gods Grace and Mercy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 02:49:49 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the