Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Sports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sports Fighting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sports Fighting  (Read 22220 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2003, 01:08:28 PM »

Ninja‘s aren’t the superhero‘s Hollywood portrayed them to be, Ninjutsu is the MUC of the Martial Artist world, good in application, bad in competition, and generally rather cocky. The Artist reflex there original practitioners. The Artists of Karate, the first one, conquered people, the Jujitsu/Judo/etc artist, Samurai, highly glorified slaves, Kung Fu, the artist where all gentle monks (until recently, when they had to teach outsiders to pay the bills), all these artist are about humility and honor. Sumo, the original Artist were the biggest, strongest men in Japan, cocky but honorable. But the Ninja’s, no honor, no humility, just cocky assassins. And still today, they are cocky and honorless. They just wouldn't survive in a real mans martial arts competition!

If You can't find Aikido, and you don't find judo appealing, give Hipkado(sp?) a shot. It is a Korean Grappling art. It lacks much of the ground work of Jujutsu, by its practitioners own admission, but it has a lot more focus on striking them Jujitsu.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2003, 09:58:28 PM »

*rubbing my chin with contemplation*

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2003, 11:41:59 AM »

Mission accomplished, Sensei.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2003, 01:51:25 PM »

Found an art? Details! lol  Grin

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2003, 03:33:34 PM »

In a roundabout way. It certainly helps knowing what art came from where with what purpose. I think that would influence the art "significantly indeed!" Maybe I'm just getting creative, but I wonder...

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2003, 04:18:42 PM »

In my B.C. Days I was a good street fighter (Never Lost), Also I did a lot of wrestling, in High School, I never lost. It was fun  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2003, 05:23:10 PM »

A4C- Lets trades scar stories! What are some of your favorite fights? lol

White- Um... what are you wondering...?

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2003, 01:53:04 AM »

Sensei, I'm wondering if I take another art if it will make me forget how to do things right with this one.

Hi, Ambassador! Let's hear 'em!

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2003, 02:27:50 AM »

Sensei, I am not. I am deeply honored that you would consider we such, but I am no Sensei. Thank you for the compliment, I’m always felt such titles should NEVER be self-proclaimed, and given, not by the masters, but by the students. But, I am not a teacher. Thank you, thou.

What if, by some chance, you are in a phone booth, and an attack walls in, shuts the door, and stands over it. Are your high kicks gonging to help you there? That would turn to close-combat pretty fast, maybe even a little grappling. High kicks will not do you to good. The secret is to learn and combine the styles, not use one and forget the other. I would advise you give Judo a try. Judo has no striking in it, maybe you could feel comfortable with not losing you form if you took a style TOTALLY different, and try to combine them. Also, Judo might be the easiest to find. On top of that, you can enter both your arts in the Olympics, if you want  Grin

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2003, 02:33:31 AM »

Just reading through the first page I see that as usual most people don't know nor understand martial arts and especially not TKD.  TKD is based on power yes but not brute power.  Anyone who thinks they are stronger with their hands then legs is quite simply a moron.  Your legs will AWLAYS be stronger then your hands.  The power in TKD does not come from being large or bulky.  In fact bulky people are the worst for Martial Arts as their limberness is too low.  My master was about 5'4" and mayeb 150 and about 50 years old.  Master way was 6'3" and weighed about 270 and was afraid of Master Kwon.  For good reason I might add because the man was beyond fast and even his "teaching tap" mad me gasp for air.  It's not about muscle but most americans don't want to believe that.  Meatheads are never scary to me because they always think they are tough.  There is plenty of grapling in TKD.  When someone gets their black belt they're only just finally ready to learn the real meat of TKD.

Asian Martial Artists are so much better than American ones because of the dedication and time put into it.  Every Martial Art has it's good and bad and every other one thinks it's better just go to Asia to find that out.  TKD gets knocked the most because it has the most amount of schools and hence has been beaten by the $ more then lesser known arts.  I was in a school for a while where too many parents complained about "hey I paid X dollars my kid should be a black belt".  People needing to make a living slowly gave into the $ and the teaching took more of a back seat.  I've seen tons of blackbelts that deserved nothing more than orange belt (that was the second belt for me).  Martial arts is about defense not sport so your idea Tibby is flawed already.  Being that your only 5'4" I sure hope you don't try to punch me as you would have several broken ribs before you could reach me.

A 1" plank of wood equals the strength of a rib.  It's ridiculously easy to break through 3 boards with a side kick.  I dare say you don't want to be kicked and a woman could do that as well.  I have never been taught to just kick someone away if they get close, though a good kick in the shin will stop many a person.  I've actually had a person(freind) try grab me from behind and out of instince I tossed a 6'2" guy over my shoulder with ease.  It really sucked for him since it was a stone floor but he shouldn't have grapped my neck.  Another friend thought it would be funny to try and hit my stomach when I wasn't looking.  When my instinct gave him a swift kick to the gut it wasn't so funny.  He's lucky I stopped myself from a full force hit.  I stopped it just as I hit him but truly I realized I had learned something for real.

Anyone with any decent training knows that tournaments are a show of pride and bogus besides.  It is meant for self defense and you are even taught that one should do as much as possible to avoid conflict.  One who is not in a fight has a much better chance of not being hurt.  So if a woman kicks you in the shin and takes off then she's safe and unharmed.

Anyhow I'm done with my rant.  Oh and Akido is only meant for MASTERS of other styles.  Only a fool would think to just go and take Akido seeing as it has not a single offensive move NOT ONE.  Makes it a bit hard to spare now doesn't it?

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2003, 03:01:08 AM »

Good rant, I’m glad you‘re on our side, lol. You basicly restanded what everyone in here has said so far, I don't Understand what what we don't understand. See, the Interantional TKD, great art, the America TKD, to much of a sport. It is a joke. Watch the American's in the Olympics, they have styles that are so far from the style taugh in American school... So, I take it you take TKD, too, uh? lol, what’s with all the TKD jocks in the board?

Yes, All arts have there good points, but there is a reason TKD and Karate get stomped in UFC, and the Grapplers win. Sure, sometimes a striker win, but the vast majority of the champions are Grapplers, mostly Jujitsu.  Then again, it can be argued that UFC isn’t a good test of Martial Arts, I’ve seen this argument before. Put a Boxer in a mat with a Wrestler, it is on the Wrestlers turf, and the boxer wil  get stomped, but put some gloves on the wrestler, and if he can beat the boxer at his own game, THEN he proves something. But, you have to think, the Boxer couldn’t beat the Wrestler at his game, so that evens them out. Every art has its place, I’d advise taking several.  

Yeah, that is the main Reason Aikido get a lot of crap. I’ve sword fought an Aikidoka in a sword match. NEVER tell them that have to master the art to be good while he has a Shinai in his hand, lol. The Grappling does take a master to use, but the Kata from the Sword style deadly! I’d be more then happy to spar their legs off in a grappling or striking match, but after facing one of them in a sword match, I have new respect for those guys! And lets face it, the Hakama are just cool! Don’t look at me like that, you know you all argee with me  Grin

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2003, 03:37:39 AM »

Yes, All arts have there good points, but there is a reason TKD and Karate get stomped in UFC, and the Grapplers win.

Yes it's because any true Martial Artist would not be in a UFC tournament.  That UFC crap is for animals and I have only seen but the small amount of clips in commercials.  Seeing again as I said that MA is not a sport (as you seem to feel it is) there is no need to be in tournaments.  sparing for practice with another partner is one thing putting on pads and trying to show you are better is pointless from both a MA and Christian standpoint.

I think boxing is an animal sport as well and people like Mike Tyson show how true that is.  Ask Muhammed Ali how graceful he is now.  I don't feel there's any stlye or grace in it just brutes beating on each other.  One can be better than the other but considering the amount of mush heads when it's all over proves the point.  I doubt that God says "Hey check out that graceful and useful style of fighting".  I doubt he thinks much of MA's who fight for fun either.

I'm thoughly confused as to why white horse has called you sensei seeing as that is a Japanese word and TKD is Korean.  The two hate each other and if you ever used japanese terms in my school you got corrected rather swiftly.

I take nothing at the moment as I have not the time or money for it.  I took it before I was saved and in good physical shape.  Again you comment on grappling which I will tell you again is most deffinately in TKD and we had a guy in class who was an ex biker.  As in pagan nasty filthy kind who got into a motorcyle accident so his legs are all messed up.  You DO NOT want to let him get a hold of you.  That man was a monster if he grabbed you.  Frank got good at grappling because his legs aren't exactly easy to control do to nerve damage.  When that man went through blocking techniques with me I thought my arm was gonna break.  I'll tell you what though, when I spared with other people they always complained about my blocks cuz it hurt bad hehe, now they now how I felt.

I would never claim that any art was plainly superior to the other but I wouldn't move to another form until I had mastered the first.  The fact that you and so many others think there is no grappling in TKD shows how many people don't know TKD.  All the MA are similar in one way or the other.

what’s with all the TKD jocks in the board?

Perhaps you forgot that I mentioned TKD is the most popular in America.  It was also the first MA introduced to the American public.  Mater Kwon had pictures of him and Chuck Norris, because Chucky went to Korea to study with the same person who taught Master Kwon.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2003, 01:59:59 PM »

How is it pointless is spar by a Martial Arts and a Christian Stand point? If you do not spar, how will you ever learn to use sure skills in a self defensive manor? See, you are going to meet guys like that on the street, The Street is full of Animal-like street fighters. Hopefully, you can defend against them.

Any TRUE Martial Arts would know the importance of Boxing. Maybe American Martial Arts here don’t have a place for there fighters to learn to take blows. A If hits in a street fight, and he will do out. Boxing is very importance, any true Martial Arts should spend some time in the ring. There are some fast strong boxers, if you don’t have any training, and they get a few good headshots in, you will be out like a light!

I am to wondering that too, which is why I asked her not, too. Sensei is a title to be earned, not given. Do, using the Japanese words isn’t that big of a deal, there are many that her Kwan was a Japanese Kwan. The Japan schools and Korean schools are do not all HATE each other. There are many Korean Karateka and many Japanese TKD men.

The TKD I’ve seen has no grappling. Most of the Schools I’ve been to are nothing more then glorified Sports Tae Kwon Do. Now, that is only how it is in America, many other parts of the world, there is much more to Tae Kwon Do. But we don’t see to much in the way of throws and foot sweeps on TV, mostly Kicks, so the Students here in America only way to learn kicks, and many of the masters here only want to make money…

So, what Ryu/Kwan were you are part of in Tae Kwon Do? Me, my Karate is Isshinryu and my JuJitsu is Danoshenryu.

Chick Norris learned from many Masters, like Bruce Lee for example. We was no doubt following Bruce lee’s track, learning from many masters, to find the “unknown art.” Good ol’ Jeet Kune Do  Wink

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2003, 12:17:33 AM »

I'm thoughly confused as to why white horse has called you sensei seeing as that is a Japanese word and TKD is Korean.  The two hate each other and if you ever used japanese terms in my school you got corrected rather swiftly.

Hi, Saved; thanks for your input. Yes, I am well aware that Sensei is the Japanse word. So is kata, btw. So why did I use it? Well, it wouldn't make much sense to use the Korean term for someone who isn't into TKD! You may have been quickly corrected at your school, but notice you all shared the same art! You wouldn't use the Korean term on a Sensei unless you wanted your kiester in a sling. But not us--we're shooting for the ecclectic approach around here. I love my TKD, and you're right; I believe in mastering them one at a time, too...to a certain extent. But I like hearing about all the different types Tibby has tried and what he has learned about them. And we're glad to have your input, too.

So why did I call Tibby Sensei at all? Because it was a fun idea. That's it. I wanted to call him Sensei for no other reason than I felt like it. Hear that, Sensei? Grin

Despite the stiff competition/animosity between Korean and Japanses arts, I'm not into that. Decisions aren't necessarily out of ignorance; sometimes they are choices. In this case, I'm more concerned about being respectful to Tibby than I am about Godless hatred between ethnicities.

I'm impressed with your knowledge and I hope you'll stick around.

Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2003, 02:05:29 AM »

How is it pointless is spar by a Martial Arts and a Christian Stand point?

I never said it was pointless to spar, I said it was pointless to have competitions.  They don't show off much of anything seeing as there are many rules about what you can and can't do and what constitues a point.  It greatly limits the art and secondly its nothing more than a show of pride.  I have yet to meat a tourny person who isn't ultra cocky and they aren't even that good.  I had a friend who was horrible at comps because he was so worried about being too aggresive and hurting someone.  He and I knocked each other around a good bit.  I've had my shins black and blue to the point I could barely walk.  We of course got yelled at for it because it was considered "uncontrolled" and no one wants to get sued.  Have you ever taken a double round house to the face?  I have and let me tell you I was close to being knocked out.  It was an accident but regardless I learned to guard my head much better after that.  I'll tell the story if anyone's interested.

As far as schools hating schools I can not say but Asians often don't like other Asians.  There are basically three major types, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.  Those three people don't like each other because of past events no different then the germans hating the french and the english hating the french.  No not "every" person hates them but it's pretty common similar to the north south and black white issues we have.  That's just people if you ask me, we always find a reason to hate one another.

The TKD I’ve seen has no grappling. Most of the Schools I’ve been to are nothing more then glorified Sports Tae Kwon Do.

And I would have to tell you that that school wasn't very good.  Learning grappling wasn't a requirment but it was and is there to learn.  There are many instructors not worthy of their positions.  Finding a good school will usually be sort of hard as it will be small and not well known because only serious people will go there.  Those schools are into the art not the money.  Often times they fail because they can't pay rent (go americans).

The Street is full of Animal-like street fighters. Hopefully, you can defend against them.

I'm going on 27 years of age and I live outside of philly.  The street is not full of animal-like street fighters.  I haven't been in a fist fight since I was in highschool.  Were on earth do you live?  Knowing true self defense (and a Christian attitude that I now have) I'll take a childish insult and even a shove and walk away before getting into a fight.  It's pretty hard to get into a fist fight without looking for one.  Before I was saved I was in plenty of situations where it could have happened and didn't.  Honestly the biggest threat I ran into was from my friends who thought I was taking TKD so I could fight.  It always seemed to get them worked up for some reason.  I would come home from TKD class and they would immediately start with the "well tough guy, I bet you think you're all tough now huh?  What would you do if I did this (random ridiculousness) or what if I had a gun huh tough guy?"  To which I usually would respond "Hi glad to see you too gorgious so what's every  upto?"  Ocationally they would be stupid and try something (like my previous examples in prior posts).

I'm sorry Tibby but I'm gonna have to ask this.  Have you taken one too many to the head or are you one of the worst typists I've ever seen.  You do it too often for me to pass it off as random typos because it's basic grammar too.  Like these sentences here:

A If hits in a street fight, and he will do out. Boxing is very importance, any true Martial Arts should spend some time in the ring.

Do, using the Japanese words isn’t that big of a deal, there are many that her Kwan was a Japanese Kwan.

There are many in all the forums.  I just figured I would ask you before making a final call on the matter.  It get wretchedly worse when you're mad.

What if, by some chance, you are in a phone booth, and an attack walls in, shuts the door, and stands over it. Are your high kicks gonging to help you there?

I'm not sure what post this was in refference to, but how does one stand over a phone booth door?  Secondly it wouldn't be much of a fight seeing as a phone both is REALLY cramped with two people in it.  It look more like you were making out than fighting and there wouldn't be much damage done aside from headbutts.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the