Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  baptist faiths
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: baptist faiths  (Read 9036 times)
BUTCHA

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2004, 10:17:21 PM »

whats the difference between southern baptist , and american baptist?
tn_lady68

I am redeemed!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 08:25:12 AM »

Don't know. What is it?

Of course I am, and here it goes   Cheesy

Fundamental, Independent, Premillennium Baptist.... try that on t-shirt size.. it really gets better with my Church's name.
O.T.G.B.C
(old time gospel baptist church)    Cool Gotta love it.............

I love Jesus!
Connie D.

**For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall alal be made alive. 1 Cor. 15:21,22**
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 06:58:15 PM »

Don't know. What is it?

Of course I am, and here it goes   Cheesy

Fundamental, Independent, Premillennium Baptist.... try that on t-shirt size.. it really gets better with my Church's name.
O.T.G.B.C
(old time gospel baptist church)    Cool Gotta love it.............
Why not just Christ's or God's in Christ? Would such an identity tell a stranger you are of God and His Christ?

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 09:11:57 PM »

I certainly don't know the answer - and I've been a "Baptist" my whole life.  I go to a "First Family Church" now (a spirit-filled, joy-filled church) which is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention - but it is not like any Baptist Church I grew up in - we have lots more fun.  Smiley

There must be hundreds of off-shoots of Baptists.

You could probably do a web search and find out more - but I'll guarantee you a SBC in one town will be different than an SBC in another – they are all fairly independent, and worship the Lord however the Lord leads the individual congregation.  
As far as SBC, particularly the one I attend – big on evangelizing, big on missions, big on charities, big on the Trinity, big on Grace, big on taking the Bible as literally as possible, big on pastors having divinity degrees from accredited universities or seminaries, and big on fried chicken and potato salad.  My church has a 7-piece band with three singers as opposed to a choir, and we make a LOT of noise during worship!  Worship lasts for at least a half-hour and teaching for about an hour after that.  We are pre-trib-rapturists and believe that everyone in the world is our brother or sister (most just aren’t saved yet).  Grin  We are actually fairly typical, except for the band and our fried chicken is better than anyone else’s.   Roll Eyes

(Oh – we love Catholics, too.)  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 09:19:14 PM »

Why not just Christ's or God's in Christ?

Simple because a rebellious, drunken, womanizing Priest named Fr. Martin took it upon himself to correct his brethren.

Ok, he had some good points. But when he didn't get his way, things got ugly.

Buthca, I would have to know which southern Baptist and American Baptist you are talking about. The SBC (southern) and the Northern Baptists split in the pre-Civil War days, over the issue of slavery. There is an old joke:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"
He said, "Like what?"
I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
He said, "Religious."
I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"
He said, "Christian."
I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
He said, "Baptist!"
I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
He said, "Baptist Church of God!"
I said, "Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"
He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God!"
I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"
He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!"
I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

lol, cute joke, but it makes a good point. The term “Baptist” is almost as broad as the term “Christian” now. You are going to have to be specific, my friend.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 09:41:14 PM »

i ask the quistion, for my catholic church is closeing . being ,open to all christianity , im trying new churches. my freind recommended that i go to a southern baptist church. he felt it was closest to my beliefs. but he felt i should stay away from american baptist. he has gone on a mission, and i'm unable to talk with him.
 so i thought i'd ask my new found friends. Smiley

butcha
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 11:22:18 PM »

Butcha - just start going to different churches!  You have nothing to lose...

An old saying:
Methodists - pray, pray, pray
Presbyterians - pay, pay, pay
Baptist - Dunk and be done (*plus fried chicken!)

Grin

Seriously - ask Jesus!  He will not lead you in the wrong path as long as He is part of your decision making. Worship HIM and you will not go wrong!

PS: (I like the Spirit-filled churches where everyone lifts their hands to Him during worship.)  Grin

May Jesus be with you in your search for Truth!

We love you, brother!
JN

* I added that to the old saying.  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 12:03:44 AM »

Yes, the American Catholics are having a tough time. Preist shortages are a really problem, and with the scandles...

If you are planning on going to a new church, baptist are the opposite end of the spectrum. Half of them are extremly anti-Catholic, and the rest are "Closet anti-Catholics" Grin

The friend recommended either doesn't know a thing about Catholics, doesn't know a thing about Southern Baptists, or is trying to play a joke on you. Southern baptist (all baptists, for that matter) have little in common with your belief. Sure, you both believe Jesus died on the cross for your sins, but the simalerities stop there.

In honestly, Methodists might be what you are used too. Or Reformed Episcople.

BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 07:27:37 AM »

Yes, the American Catholics are having a tough time. Preist shortages are a really problem, and with the scandles...

If you are planning on going to a new church, baptist are the opposite end of the spectrum. Half of them are extremly anti-Catholic, and the rest are "Closet anti-Catholics" Grin

The friend recommended either doesn't know a thing about Catholics, doesn't know a thing about Southern Baptists, or is trying to play a joke on you. Southern baptist (all baptists, for that matter) have little in common with your belief. Sure, you both believe Jesus died on the cross for your sins, but the simalerities stop there.

In honestly, Methodists might be what you are used too. Or Reformed Episcople.
thank you judge not

no he him self is anti catholic church
but in a constructive way not destructive
the hard part will be selling this to the wife in 5 kids. but i am the spiritual leader of the family so i've got to try guiding us in the right direction.
  thank you all for your thoughts they do help.

butcha
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 10:07:26 AM »

Half of them are extremly anti-Catholic, and the rest are "Closet anti-Catholics"

I hope you meant the grinny-face at the end of that statement, Tibby, because it is simply not true.

Careful about the Methodist Church you choose - many of them (not all, but many) are luke-warm, pro-homosexual and pro-abortion - at least the ones in California.  

JPD
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »

Speaking of good Baptist jokes...

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!"
He said, "Like what?"
He said, "Religious."
He said, "Christian."
He said, "Protestant."
He said, "Baptist!"
I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
I said, "Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?"
I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"

I LOVE[/b] this one!  *LOL*  Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 10:25:04 AM »

whats the difference between southern baptist , and american baptist?

I think the stance on regeneration.  SBC's hold to faith alone, while I think it's the American General Baptist's who hold to baptismal regeneration.  Could be wrong...been there.  Done that...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 06:41:45 PM »

Why not just Christ's or God's in Christ?

Simple because a rebellious, drunken, womanizing Priest named Fr. Martin took it upon himself to correct his brethren.

Ok, he had some good points. But when he didn't get his way, things got ugly.

Buthca, I would have to know which southern Baptist and American Baptist you are talking about. The SBC (southern) and the Northern Baptists split in the pre-Civil War days, over the issue of slavery. There is an old joke:

He said, "Like what?"
He said, "Religious."
He said, "Christian."
He said, "Protestant."
He said, "Baptist!"

lol, cute joke, but it makes a good point. The term “Baptist” is almost as broad as the term “Christian” now. You are going to have to be specific, my friend.

"Simple because a rebellious, drunken, womanizing Priest named Fr. Martin took it upon himself to correct his brethren.

Ok, he had some good points. But when he didn't get his way, things got ugly."

What does this statement have to do with my wondering why Christians do not identify themselves with the head of the body, Jesus Christ, instead of identities devised by men?

Ollie
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 06:45:00 PM by ollie » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 06:55:54 PM »

Butcha,

Why not consider the church that is revealed and described in the Bible? What is its identifiers and descriptions as given in the word of God?  Who are its members? How is it governed?
What is its function? This and more is revealed about God's people in the scriptures. Use His word as the standard to find and identify a congregation of His people.

Romans 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:19  Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Ollie
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 07:15:21 PM by ollie » Logged

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 07:49:51 PM »

What does this statement have to do with my wondering why Christians do not identify themselves with the head of the body, Jesus Christ, instead of identities devised by men?

It is simple, once you figure out who I am referring to. THat sky Tibby, so vague in his posts Grin

Ok, for real, I was simply making a funny at why we are not one church. Grin

I admitt, it was lame, but I don't think it was hart to understand what I was referring, too. Tongue Wink Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the