Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:19:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  baptist faiths
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: baptist faiths  (Read 9037 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2004, 05:12:24 PM »

Explain the scriptures in the hands of Eusebius, Clement, etc. at the end of the first century and beginning of the second century.

Old Testament and the “memoirs of the Apostles” as they called them. And the memoirs differed in each area. It wasn’t until the put it into a single cannon that is was the uniform book we call the bible.

The Roman Catholic church was not yet in existence.
There is no established proof that the council at Hippo in 329 AD was of a Roman inclination.

Ya think? Tongue The “Roman Catholic Church” never came into being until after Fr. Martin Luther. It was one united holy and Apostolic New Testament Church. Christian was Christian, and it was like that until Luther came along. The Church that is now “Roman Catholic” never thought of it as A church. Before the reformation, it was THE church. Oh, the the Roman Catholic church was in existence, make on mistake. It just didn't have a cute little pet name, it was just "The Body of Christ." Don’t confuse the name with the entity.

Hey, I_Believe, stop monkeying around and answer my question. That isn't an answer. How do you relate:

To your first post: What are you saying? The bible fell out of the sky?

To you second post: I tend to lean toward the fact that this appears to be a problem with all religions but Catholic flavor. Ancient Catholics, from the same company that brought you the bible!

to mean that I am "deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ to a different gospel"? I just don't see the connection between my post, and your insult.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2004, 08:32:33 PM »

I just don't see the connection between my post, and your insult.

Scripture is not insulting.  If you don't think it apllies to you then let it pass.

For as the rain comes down and the snow from the sky, and doesn't return there, but waters the earth, and makes it bring forth and bud, and gives seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isa 55:10-11 WEB)

Every writing inspired by God is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction which is in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2Ti 3:16-17 WEB)

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away. (Luk 21:33 WEB)

Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good. Abstain from every form of evil. May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he who calls you, who will also do it.  (1Th 5:19-24 WEB)

Oh, the arrogance of man.  God and only God preserved His Word.  He preserved it in spite of man not because of man.

For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart... Having then a great high priest, who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold tightly to our confession. For we don't have a high priest who can't be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but one who has been in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with boldness to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace for help in time of need.  (Heb 4:12-16 WEB)

For this cause I, Paul, am the prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles... that by revelation the mystery was made known to me, as I wrote before in few words, by which, when you read, you can perceive my understanding in the mystery of Christ;... has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit; that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of his promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, whereof I was made a servant, according to the gift of that grace of God which was given me according to the working of his power. To me, the very least of all saints, was this grace given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all men see what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God, who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now through the assembly the manifold wisdom of God might be made known to the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord; (Eph 3:1-11 WEB)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 08:34:10 PM by I_Believe » Logged

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2004, 10:25:54 PM »

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the truth of the gospel of Christ.

Scripture from God...Religion from man.

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2004, 10:50:01 PM »

Scripture is not insulting.  If you don't think it apllies to you then let it pass.

Not a very bright one, are you? Show me where

I marvel that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ to a different gospel;

is in scripture. Roll Eyes

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2004, 05:41:49 AM »

For as the rain comes down and the snow from the sky, and doesn't return there, but waters the earth, and makes it bring forth and bud, and gives seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isa 55:10-11 WEB)

Every writing inspired by God is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction which is in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2Ti 3:16-17 WEB)

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away. (Luk 21:33 WEB)

Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good. Abstain from every form of evil. May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he who calls you, who will also do it.  (1Th 5:19-24 WEB)

Oh, the arrogance of man.  God and only God preserved His Word.  He preserved it in spite of man not because of man.

For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart... Having then a great high priest, who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold tightly to our confession. For we don't have a high priest who can't be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but one who has been in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with boldness to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace for help in time of need.  (Heb 4:12-16 WEB)

For this cause I, Paul, am the prisoner of Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles... that by revelation the mystery was made known to me, as I wrote before in few words, by which, when you read, you can perceive my understanding in the mystery of Christ;... has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit; that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of his promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel, whereof I was made a servant, according to the gift of that grace of God which was given me according to the working of his power. To me, the very least of all saints, was this grace given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all men see what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God, who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now through the assembly the manifold wisdom of God might be made known to the principalities and the powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord; (Eph 3:1-11 WEB)

Enjoyed I Believe, thanks for posting. Never mind Tibby, he is very slow. Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2004, 09:31:08 AM »

Not a very bright one, are you? Show me where

Quote:
I marvel that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ to a different gospel;

is in scripture.  

Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things. (2Ti 2:7)

I have shared scripture that shines the light of the truth of the Gospel of Christ as revealed by the Apostles by word and deed.  I do not have the power or commission from the Lord to enlighten you to the truth.  The "Father of glory" is the one who enlightens us "with a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him."

...don't cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him; having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope of his calling, and what are the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to that working of the strength of his might which he worked in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and made him to sit at his right hand in the heavenly places... (Eph 1:16-20)

Let such a person consider this, that what we are in word by letters when we are absent, such are we also in deed when we are present. For we are not bold to number or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves. But they themselves, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves with themselves, are without understanding. (2Co 10:11-12)

The Lord removes the veil, religion creates a new one.

But their minds were hardened, for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains, because in Christ it passes away. But to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. But whenever one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord, the Spirit. (2Co 3:14-18)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 09:35:15 AM by I_Believe » Logged

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2004, 11:07:09 AM »

Still doesn't anser the question Roll Eyes

BL- I thought you left with A4C and all.

I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2004, 03:26:58 PM »

Still doesn't anser the question Roll Eyes

You just didn't like the answer.  The scripture contains the answer.  Your religious doctrine does not.

But in vain do they worship me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.' "For you set aside the commandment of God, and hold tightly to the tradition of men...(Mar 7:7-8)

THE HOLY FATHER - The Roman Pontiff, as the successor of Peter...

And they love the first couch at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the market-places, and to be called, Rabbi! Rabbi! by men. But you must not be called Rabbi, for One is your teacher, Christ, and you are all brothers. And call no one your father on the earth, for One is your Father in Heaven. (Mat 23:6-9)

Scripture from God...Religion from man. Wink
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 12:53:04 PM by I_Believe » Logged

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2004, 09:20:50 AM »

Ok, in that case, spell it out for me. Remember, I’m an unsaved Catholic, you have to explain things for me. So, explain it, or stop skinning the question. What is this fear of a straight answer you have?  Roll Eyes

C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2004, 01:35:44 PM »

When deciding what building to worship in and what group of people within the body of Christ you want to cooperate with and get support from I say do the following:  My friend did this and she found all the good churches that are SO perfect for exactly the mission that she is given for her life.  Your mission may be different, so  . . . .

Grin  I say keep a sharp eye out for the best fried chicken!   Grin  

1.) Then remember that no man is perfect.  
2.) Don't swallow anything whole.  
3.) Don't believe anything you see and only half of what you hear.   Wink  --Many Christians are excellent fakers.  They have to be because we are ALL so judgmental.  --  And we love to make the scriptures say what we want them to.  There's benefits to being liked and accepted in our community there's got to be ways to justify whatever we want to get away with and still keep our acceptance in order.
3.5) to avoid this downfall look for places where Freedom is there.  For where the Lord is there is FREEDOM.  Where freedom is there are a lot less fakers and much less volumes of twisted doctrines to learn.
4.) Don't go a full day without reminding yourself that God  knows He has a mission for You and He knows you need guidance.  
5.) Then visit and worship as often as possible.  Check schedules and see how many worship services you can get in in each week.  Go to the morning, the afternoon, the evening, the mid-week, the thursday  night, the Wednessday night worship services!  Bring lots of Ones because there will be a collection basket passed around for this and that, and unless you have lots of ones, you can't afford this.  Learn to fix something you can bring that everyone will love.  They'll be dinners, pot lucks and lots of food.  You'll learn a lot and the Holy Spirit will help you pick out truths and discern spirits.  He's the Holy Reminder too.  He'll bring the important things back to your mind.  

What I've found out is that if there's a big group of people that call themselves XYZ and they've developed a reputation for serving God, another group will name themselves XYZ because they want to ride on a good name.  And if there's a name that's been doing wrong, then folks change their name.  Changing names doesn't guarantee changing hearts or ideas or groups of people.  So, don't look at names and labels and groups.  Man looks on the outside appearances, but God looks on the heart.  Keep an eye on the heart.  

I've also seen people with MINT doctrine.  They know the stuff inside and out and yet they don't live out what they teach.  I've seen folks with wrong doctrine living out Christ's love.  The Lord looks on our heart,  not on our I.Q. or our ability to learn concepts.  What happens sometimes is that we develop biases that blind us.  Just never forget that Jesus Christ DIED for your sins--including the ones about not knowing everything, that included with the part that renewing your mind makes you much happier--gotta get the dust and junk and  cobwebs out.

Let MERCY LEAD!  

And don't forget the creed.  "I believe in God the Father, Almighty Maker of Heaven and Maker of Earth.  And in Jesus Christ His Only Begotton Son, Our Lord.  He Was Conceived by the Holy Spirit, Born of the Virgin Mary, Suffered under Pontious Pilate, He was crucified and dead and buried, on the third day rose again.  I believe that what I believe makes me what I am.  I believe in the Holy Spirit, The communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, and the resurection and LIFE THAT NEVER ENDS!"  Everyone here in this forum can agree with these things.  As to their exact meaning, that's another story.    Wink  

God Guide and Bless!  Wink

For the record, I've modified this post a billion times because I'm afriad of that scripture about the millstone and the neck and leading little ones astray.  I'm pretty sure that I have no biases and I checked my heart for ulterior motives and well, I think it will do.  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:18:30 PM by Candice Cavalier » Logged

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »

Ok, in that case, spell it out for me. Remember, I’m an unsaved Catholic, you have to explain things for me. So, explain it, or stop skinning the question. What is this fear of a straight answer you have?  Roll Eyes

Please see post 80 above.  Read it very carefully and pray that God will open the eyes of your heart.

If you don't think it apllies to you then let it pass.

Therefore since we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we do not faint. But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness, nor adulterating the Word of God, but by the revelation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. But also if our gospel is hidden, it is hidden to those being lost, in whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving ones, so that the light of the glorious gospel of Christ (who is the image of God) should not dawn on them. For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For it is God who said, "Out of darkness Light shall shine;" who shone in our hearts to give the brightness of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2Co 4:1-6)

Man's doctrine...

With the Rosary, the Christian people sits at the school of Mary and is led to contemplate the beauty on the face of Christ and to experience the depths of his love. Through the Rosary the faithful receive abundant grace, as though from the very hands of the Mother of the Redeemer.
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html

God's scripture...

But you, when you pray, enter into your inner chamber, and having shut your door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. In praying, don't use vain repetitions, as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. Therefore don't be like them, for your Father knows what things you need, before you ask him. (Mat 6:6-8)

But may the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a little while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen. (1Pe 5:10-11)

Satire

I believe in Christ, the Son of God.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2004, 04:10:14 PM »

Primary differences between the Baptists are really quite simple. Though there are other minor variances the two fundamental reasons we differ are in Mission support and Church government. Third may be communion.

Southern Baptists believe it is best to tithe to a central body who in turn supports the mission field. Thus we are able to place hospitals, schools and missions right when we go into the field.

We also believe we have the right to self govern and hold lightly to the guidelines and structure of our convention. Southern's tend to be smaller church bodies and more focused into Bible study.

Other than that you will likely never notice a difference except in communion which often may in truth vary per local body more than in our various splinter groups.

Satire

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the