Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:47:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Acts 2:38 Explained
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acts 2:38 Explained  (Read 4981 times)
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2004, 11:23:19 AM »

The difference being that Paul is writing to believers that have already heard and obeyed the gospel.

Peter is intially talking to unbelievers who are pricked in their hearts by hearing the gospel and want to know what they must do to obey upon believing the gospel.

Amen Ollie Grin

Thats where some people get this messed up, they take the letters to the church...people who have already obeyed the gospel...and confuse it with the gospel for unbelievers...same gospel of coarse. Smiley
AVBunyan
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2004, 05:34:04 PM »

The difference being that Paul is writing to believers that have already heard and obeyed the gospel.

Peter is intially talking to unbelievers who are pricked in their hearts by hearing the gospel and want to know what they must do to obey upon believing the gospel.

Amen Ollie Grin

Thats where some people get this messed up, they take the letters to the church...people who have already obeyed the gospel...and confuse it with the gospel for unbelievers...same gospel of coarse. Smiley

There is no gospel of grace mentioned in Acts.  The Jews who were under conviction did not asked what must we do to be saved?  They asked what must we do in light of their murdering their messiah.

Later in Acts 16:30,31 the jailer asked what must I do to be saved.

The Holy Spirit showed you the difference by the different wording,

Big difference.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2004, 07:36:56 PM »

There is no gospel of grace mentioned in Acts.  The Jews who were under conviction did not asked what must we do to be saved?  They asked what must we do in light of their murdering their messiah.

No this makes no sense in context to the preceeding events.  They didn't have to ask what to do to be saved because it was known to all that, that was what the topic of the witnessing of the Apostles had been just before.

Look at the flow of what happened.

In Acts 2:4 The Apostles are filled with the Holy Spirit.

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

In Acts 2:21 the Apostles go out witnessing about salvation

Act 2:21  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

In Acts 2:37 the Jews were convicted in their hearts and asked what they should do.

Act 2:37  Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

In Acts 2:38 the Apostles tell them to repent, be Baptized (calling on the name of the Lord) and receive the Holy Spirit.

Act 2:38  Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

In Acts 2:41 some of the Jews were baptized and added to the Church.

Act 2:41  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

So we have salvation, repentance, baptism, the Holy Spirit and membership in the Church mentioned all within one chapter, and that doesn't seem to you to be the Gospel of Grace?

Later in Acts 16:30,31 the jailer asked what must I do to be saved.

The Holy Spirit showed you the difference by the different wording,

No it doesn't use a different word.  Saved is used in Acts 16:30-31 and it is used in Acts 2:21, same word both times.

Big difference.

No difference.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 08:57:03 PM »

There is no gospel of grace mentioned in Acts.

You better look harder in Acts for the word grace...AVBunyun

Act 4:33  And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great GRACE was upon them all.

Act 11:23  Who, when he came, and had seen the GRACE of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.

Act 13:43  Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the GRACE of God.

Act 14:3  Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his GRACE, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands.

Act 20:24  But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the GOSPEL of the GRACE of God.

to testify the GOSPEL of the GRACE of God.

And theres more...sounds like grace to me.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the