Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Acts 2:38 Explained
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acts 2:38 Explained  (Read 4979 times)
AVBunyan
« on: April 03, 2004, 07:55:58 AM »

Many a people have missed salvatoin because they've been taught Acts 2:38 is a plan of salvation - very sad  Cry

Context of Acts 2 – Peter is preaching a message in light of the events that took place earlier – the Holy Ghost coming down.

In a nutshell:  Peter preaches to the Jews saying, “This Jesus of whom your patriarch David spoke of was your Messiah and look what you did – you murdered him.”  The Jews got convicted and said, “What must we do?”  Notice they didn’t say, “What must we do to be saved? Like the jailer said later in Acts 16:30.  The didn’t asked what to do to be saved because they were not hearing a message about salvation at that time for Peter did not even know about Christ dying for sins at that time.  The Jews at Pentecost asked, “What must we do in light of us murdering our messiah?”  Peter answers:

“Repent” – not of your sins but of murder and of their rejection of God the Father in the OT and of Jesus in the gospels!

“And be baptized” – according to John’s baptism - Now, why did John baptize?  Look at John 1:31 - And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

The message during John’s time was, (my paraphrase) “Believe that Jesus was the messiah and to show you believe get baptized.”  The issue was – were they going to believe that Jesus was their messiah for if not they would die in their sins - John 8:24  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
The message wasn’t the message we preach today (I Cor. 15:1-5).  The message was, “Believe Jesus is your messiah and get baptized.”

“in the name of Jesus Christ” – see above – the issue was believing that Jesus was the messiah not believing Jesus was your saviour as today.

“for the remission of sins” – notice Peter used the word remission not forgiveness.  Israel would not be forgiven till the second advent (Acts 3:19,20).

“and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” – self-explanatory.

The tongues were there as a sign of judgment to the unbelieving Jews that were there (I Cor. 1:22; 14:22).
Don’t want to start another thread here but the reason the signs and gifts are gone today is because God is not dealing with Israel as a nation so the signs left off the scene.  When God dealt with unbelieving Jews he always used signs.  The tongues were a sign of their rejection of their messiah.  Remember tongues are for a sign not to believers but for unbelievers.  A little different from how people use tongues today.

That is enough for now but that is what I believe Acts 2:38 is – it is not a salvation message today whatsoever.

May God bless  Cool
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 03:26:54 PM »

Many a people have missed salvatoin because they've been taught Acts 2:38 is a plan of salvation - very sad Cry

Dont be sad Grin I followed Acts 2:38 and it worked just fine.

Repent and believe the gospel is good enough for me Smiley

Do you have another plan?

Praise God and God bless
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »

Many a people have missed salvatoin because they've been taught Acts 2:38 is a plan of salvation - very sad  

So your contention is that there is something more, not mentioned in this verse, that is required for salvation?  What is it that people have missed by following this approach?  Is there some work you are encouraging them to do in addition to repentance and baptism and reception of the Holy Spirit.  Do you claim those that accomplished these things have more to do to be saved?

They didn't asked what to do to be saved because they were not hearing a message about salvation at that time for Peter did not even know about Christ dying for sins at that time.  

But the preceding discussion is about salvation, look at Acts 2:21.  The entire message was so important that it was given in all languages of those who heard it.  What could be so important?  The good news of salvation.  

Act 2:21  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Are you claiming that Peter who was filled with the Holy Spirit (as you point out because that was the preceding event), still didn't understand that Christ died for our sins, even with the Holy Spirit in him?  Nonsense.  

So when Christ told them He was going away and promised that the Holy Spirit would come and explain it to them, even then Peter and the others did not understand?  Did Christ break His promise?  Or maybe the Holy Spirit just hadn't gotten around to it yet?

Joh 16:7-13  Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.   And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:   Of sin, because they believe not on me;   Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;   Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.   I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.   Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Earlier during Christ's ministry Jesus told them he was here to save man.  What did Peter think when Christ told them to go out and preach and baptize to save men?

Mar 16:15-16  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.   He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

It looks to me that Peter was just doing in Acts 2:38 exactly what Jesus had told them to do in Mark 16;15-16.

So even when Christ told them what His purpose was Peter still didn't understand?

Matt 26:28  For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

So are you claiming that somewhere between Acts 2:38 and Acts 16:30 Peter understood?  What was it that occurred to do this?  Where do we see this event in scripture?  Or are you trying to say that Paul understood the message of salvation prior to Peter and the other Apostles?

Just when do you think Peter and the others finally understood that Christ was the savior of the world?  Please provide a verse to support your claim.

The message during John's time was, (my paraphrase) Believe that Jesus was the messiah and to show you believe get baptized.  

I don't accept this idea either.  John seemed to understand that the Messiah was to take away the sins of the world.

John 1:29  The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

The issue was were they going to believe that Jesus was their messiah for if not they would die in their sins - John 8:24  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

That was the understanding of the Jews as to what it meant to be saved.  They believed that if you were made sinless somehow that you would go to heaven.  It is strange that you, who believe in imputed righteousness have a problem with this as that is all your doctrine requires (that your sins be remitted) to be saved.

in the name of Jesus Christ; see above; the issue was believing that Jesus was the messiah not believing Jesus was your saviour as today.

The Jews understood the Messiah as the Christ and as the  Savior, all three one and the same.

Joh 4:25  The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

Joh 4:42  And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

for the remission of sins; notice Peter used the word remission not forgiveness.  Israel would not be forgiven till the second advent (Acts 3:19,20).

How do you see remission and forgiveness being different?

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. self-explanatory.

So the Jews who knew nothing of the Trinity accepted the idea of a second person of the Godhead and welcomed the reception of this without understanding that Jesus was the third person of the same Godhead and did not understand that He was the savior?  

Also are you trying to teach that it is possible to have the Holy Spirit abide within you and still not be saved?  Because the Jews were told they would receive Him, and yet you claim they had not even been forgiven of their sins.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
AVBunyan
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 05:20:17 PM »

1. Repent and believe the gospel is good enough for me Smiley

2. Do you have another plan?

1. What did you repent of?  Are you counting on being baptized? Are you saying Acts 2:38 is the gospel for you today?

2.  I don't but how about The gospel that Paul preached - I Cor. 15:1-5?  Paul's gospel is different from Peter's in Acts 2 - which message are you going by?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 05:21:45 PM by AVBunyan » Logged
AVBunyan
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 05:25:22 PM »

Michael said:

"Because the Jews were told they would receive Him, and yet you claim they had not even been forgiven of their sins."

Ok then - how does your statement above line up with Acts 3:19-2?

Looks like future tense to me.  The "shall send" is not referring to Calvary.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 05:55:30 PM »

Michael said:

"Because the Jews were told they would receive Him, and yet you claim they had not even been forgiven of their sins."

Ok then - how does your statement above line up with Acts 3:19-2?

Looks like future tense to me.  The "shall send" is not referring to Calvary.

You are quoting me out of context and so mistaking my point.  I said in full;

"Also are you trying to teach that it is possible to have the Holy Spirit abide within you and still not be saved?  Because the Jews were told they would receive Him, and yet you claim they had not even been forgiven of their sins."

You ask about Acts 3:19-20 but it is refering to Jesus as Him.  The verse I was referring to was your use of Acts 2:38 where the Him is the Holy Spirit, which they are told they will receive when they are Baptized.  So it is not a future event.  

So my question remains.  

Are you trying to teach that it is possible to have the Holy Spirit abide within you and still not be saved?

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 05:58:44 PM »

In a nutshell:I believe Acts 2:38 is – it is not a salvation message today whatsoever.

wow where did you find that nutshell?  
Dig a little deeper!
Pray a little harder!

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
AVBunyan
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 06:20:17 PM »

In a nutshell:I believe Acts 2:38 is – it is not a salvation message today whatsoever.

From Paul - I Cor. 15:1-5 - Again, Peter's message is different - you can't see that?
AVBunyan
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 06:37:23 PM »

Michael asks:

"Are you trying to teach that it is possible to have the Holy Spirit abide within you and still not be saved?"

Not today - today in Romans Paul says:
Rom 8:9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Back then before Paul's gospel was preached and there was no sealing with the Spirit - Eph. 1:13 - I'm just not sure how it was working out.  Just trying to be honest here - you are dealing with a message primarily for Israel with the earthly kingdom right around the corner.  There is not the body of Christ in Acts 2 - that didn't come till later with Paul.

I believe they were saved (or even in the process of being saved) but there was no sealing back then but there was an indwelling.

So...
Answer - Yes, back in the early part of Acts before Paul.
Answer - No for today - since Paul's gospel is out and the sealing with the Spirit is here.

Now I know you both will have a field day with this but that's fine.

I believe Israel as a nation was not forgiven as of yet for they, as a nation, had not accepted their Messiah yet.  They will at the Second Advent and then their sins will be blotted out just as Acts 3:19 states very clearly.

Obviously I wasn’t clear in my initial post.  Let’s review:
1. “Repent” – repent of murdering their Messiah not of their sins (not in the verse).

2. "Be baptized” – John’s baptism of John 1:31 – the problem with Israel in Acts was still the same problem they had since John the Baptist – believe that Jesus was your Messiah.

3. “For the remission of sins” – not forgiveness – the words are different – In the English remission carries with it: 1.  Abatement; relaxation; moderation; as the remission of extreme rigor.  Israel as a nation will have their sins blotted out at the Second Advent – Acts 3:19-21.  My sins are gone now – Eph. 1:7. The word remission was primarily used in the Gospels, Acts, and Hebrews - this should be a clue in itself.  Paul uses forgiveness more.  He only used remission once in Romans and this could have been referring to the Jews of the past or anybody in the past until Calvary.

4. “gift of the Holy Ghost” – of course they got the Holy Ghost but they were not sealed at that time for that would come later through Paul’s ministry – Eph. 1:13

I’ve tried to make it as simple and clear as I can.
Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 06:57:15 PM »

Now for GOD’s salvation plan in a nutshell.  

Acts 2:38-40

And Peter said to them, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him." And he testified with many other words and exhorted them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation."

The crowd is confronted with the knowledge that the very Messiah that they have long awaited has been rejected and crucified some 50 days beforehand.  They had just heard Peter, in the language of Joel, speak of  salvation;
 "And it shall be, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be SAVED."
and then Peter tells them, "Let all the house of Israel therefore know assuredly, that God hath made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom ye crucified."
They realize the terrible mistake they have made and are fearful because they have been named enemies of the only One who could save them.  
So verse 37, they ask, “What shall we do?”  and the question, “What shall we do?” indisputably means, What shall we do to be saved.
For verse 41 tells us  "They then that received his word were baptized: and there were added unto them in that day about three thousand souls." and the passage ends with these words  "And the Lord added to them day by day those that were SAVED."  
Clearly a passage on salvation, and clearly a salvation plan that extends to the end of time with Peter telling them this promise  is for everyone whom our God calls!

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 07:17:04 PM »

Michael asks:

"Are you trying to teach that it is possible to have the Holy Spirit abide within you and still not be saved?"

Back then before Paul's gospel was preached and there was no sealing with the Spirit

Here is your major problem, Paul didn't have a Gospel.  The Gospel is Jesus Christ's and His alone.  Paul could only preach that which was revealed to him by Jesus.

Paul himself warns those who followed him to not follow other gospels but only the Gospel of Jesus.

Gal 1:6-7  I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:   Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

So...
Answer - Yes, back in the early part of Acts before Paul.
Answer - No for today - since Paul's gospel is out and the sealing with the Spirit is here.

So God who cannot be in the presence of anything that is unholy can indwell someone who is not saved?  This just makes no sense.

Obviously I wasn't clear in my initial post.  Let's review:
1. Repent - repent of murdering their Messiah not of their sins (not in the verse).

You are just reading that into it based on the lack of the specific term being mentioned.  But even though it is not mentioned it is implied.  The message given during the period of speaking in tongues just prior was one of salvation (see Acts 2:21 which I have referenced in a previous post) and that requires forgiveness of sins.  So yes the repenting is implied to be about repenting of sins.

2. "Be baptized - John's baptism of John 1:31 the problem with Israel in Acts was still the same problem they had since John the Baptist - believe that Jesus was your Messiah.

How do you know that this is in reference to John's Baptism?  It appears this is just another assumption of yours.

3. For the remission of sins - not forgiveness - the words are different  In the English remission carries with it: 1.  Abatement; relaxation; moderation; as the remission of extreme rigor.  Israel as a nation will have their sins blotted out at the Second Advent - Acts 3:19-21.  My sins are gone now  Eph. 1:7. The word remission was primarily used in the Gospels, Acts, and Hebrews - this should be a clue in itself.  Paul uses forgiveness more.  He only used remission once in Romans and this could have been referring to the Jews of the past or anybody in the past until Calvary.

No the words turn out not to be different at all.  The Greek translated as remission in Acts 2:38 is aphesis - Strong's 859 meaning  deliverance, forgiveness, liberty, remission.  The term forgiveness in Eph 1:7 which you reference is translated from exactly the same Greek word.  This is the type of error in interpretation that results from using only the KJV to the extreme of ignoring the original Greek which you have told me you do.

4. gift of the Holy Ghost - of course they got the Holy Ghost but they were not sealed at that time for that would come later through Paul's ministry - Eph. 1:13

So once again, you claim God who cannot be in the presence of anything that is unholy can indwell someone who is not saved?  I repeat this just makes no sense.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 07:39:27 PM by michael_legna » Logged

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 07:20:04 PM »

Many a people have missed salvatoin because they've been taught Acts 2:38 is a plan of salvation - very sad  Cry

Context of Acts 2 – Peter is preaching a message in light of the events that took place earlier – the Holy Ghost coming down.

In a nutshell:  Peter preaches to the Jews saying, “This Jesus of whom your patriarch David spoke of was your Messiah and look what you did – you murdered him.”  The Jews got convicted and said, “What must we do?”  Notice they didn’t say, “What must we do to be saved? Like the jailer said later in Acts 16:30.  The didn’t asked what to do to be saved because they were not hearing a message about salvation at that time for Peter did not even know about Christ dying for sins at that time.  The Jews at Pentecost asked, “What must we do in light of us murdering our messiah?”  Peter answers:

“Repent” – not of your sins but of murder and of their rejection of God the Father in the OT and of Jesus in the gospels!

“And be baptized” – according to John’s baptism - Now, why did John baptize?  Look at John 1:31 - And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

The message during John’s time was, (my paraphrase) “Believe that Jesus was the messiah and to show you believe get baptized.”  The issue was – were they going to believe that Jesus was their messiah for if not they would die in their sins - John 8:24  I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
The message wasn’t the message we preach today (I Cor. 15:1-5).  The message was, “Believe Jesus is your messiah and get baptized.”

“in the name of Jesus Christ” – see above – the issue was believing that Jesus was the messiah not believing Jesus was your saviour as today.

“for the remission of sins” – notice Peter used the word remission not forgiveness.  Israel would not be forgiven till the second advent (Acts 3:19,20).

“and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” – self-explanatory.

The tongues were there as a sign of judgment to the unbelieving Jews that were there (I Cor. 1:22; 14:22).
Don’t want to start another thread here but the reason the signs and gifts are gone today is because God is not dealing with Israel as a nation so the signs left off the scene.  When God dealt with unbelieving Jews he always used signs.  The tongues were a sign of their rejection of their messiah.  Remember tongues are for a sign not to believers but for unbelievers.  A little different from how people use tongues today.

That is enough for now but that is what I believe Acts 2:38 is – it is not a salvation message today whatsoever.

May God bless  Cool

Good teaching, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMen

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 08:12:56 PM »

From Paul - I Cor. 15:1-5 - Again, Peter's message is different - you can't see that?

Then to quote Paul, is Christ divided? Why give Peter the keys to the kingdom, if Pauls going to come along and change the locks. The NT is better understood when you fully reconize it is  one great unifying, but distinctively told, message about Jesus Christ. This is the "gospel",  and the apostles and writers of the NT (inspired by GOD) are in unity of message and spirit, and with this in mind, if what they have written does not SEEM to leave them in agreement with one other, then you must start the "rightly dividing" all over. Furthermore, to say the salvation message as penned and inspired by God thru Peter is not God`s salvation message to us, is to preach another gospel, and surely not the gospel  Paul preached - very sad   Cry

AVBunyan
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 08:13:15 PM »

Michael said:

"Here is your major problem, Paul didn't have a Gospel.  The Gospel is Jesus Christ's and His alone.  Paul could only preach that which was revealed to him by Jesus."

Below is what I was referring to when Paul says it was "his gospel":

Rom 2:16  In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Rom 16:25  Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel,
2 Tim 2:8  Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

I understand that Paul got his message from Christ directly:
2 Cor 12:7  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations,
Acts 26:16  But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Gal 1:12  For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Micahel said:

"How do you know that this is in reference to John's Baptism?  It appears this is just another assumption of yours."

Just show me where John's message of baptism changed from John 1:31.

Michael said:

"The Greek translated as remission in Acts 2:38 is aphesis - Strong's 859 meaning  deliverance, forgiveness, liberty, remission."

Again we have different authorities - which Greek lexicon or mss?  
My authority is the King James Bible and if I need to look up a word I will look it up in a Webster's but the final authroity is the KJV. You already know this about me so when you quote the Greek to me it is falling on deaf ears - sorry.

Michael said:

"So verse 37, they ask, “What shall we do?”  and the question, “What shall we do?” indisputably means, What shall we do to be saved."

No, the verse doesn't say that - you are assuming it says that but it doesn't say that - you are adding to it - very clear you are Michael because if God wanted it there then He would have added it there.  When the issue of salvation comes up later then the jailer asks:
Acts 16:30  And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?  You just can't beat the book!!!

I'm not saying people were not "saved" - it is not the same salvation that we have today for back then there was no sealing, raising, redemption, etc. - all those truths that Paul spoke of - It was a kingdom age message aimed primarily for Jews before they finally rejected the kingdom offer and before Christ revealed the body of Chrsit truths to Paul later on.

I have to run - it has been interesting.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 08:16:33 PM »

Then to quote Paul, is Christ divided? Why give Peter the keys to the kingdom, if Pauls going to come along and change the locks. The NT is better understood when you fully reconize it is  one great unifying, but distinctively told, message about Jesus Christ. This is the "gospel",  and the apostles and writers of the NT (inspired by GOD) are in unity of message and spirit, and with this in mind, if what they have written does not SEEM to leave them in agreement with one other, then you must start the "rightly dividing" all over. Furthermore, to say the salvation message as penned and inspired by God thru Peter is not God`s salvation message to us, is to preach another gospel, and surely not the gospel  Paul preached - very sad   Cry

Someday soon I pray you will find that this teahing is true, the only thing sad is most do not see this.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the