Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:19:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is "Gossip"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is "Gossip"?  (Read 17950 times)
Reba
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 07:57:21 AM »

Smiley  Cry  Smiley
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 08:02:28 AM »

A visiting pastor I heard speak recently, said that if we open our mouths to speak of someone; let it be Jesus we talk about!  Cheesy

grace

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 09:19:53 AM »

What a beautiful and inspiring thread! Thank-you Sincereheart, and everyone else who has contributed!

And AMEN!

In His love,

-Grace
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 06:26:07 AM »

Cheesy

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 06:40:02 AM »

HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 08:34:25 PM »

With  a few hundred words Sincereheart closed allthe christian chats i have ever been to 

Love to some is a sweet kind word ...

Love to this one is a 2by4
Cheesy That was too cute! I totally relate tho. gossiping is a major downfall of mine.

Thanks sincereheart!
That's what breaks my heart! In real life, I've been seeing so many wounded by 'gossip' disguised as 'truth', prayer requests, etc
Yup, I know people that do that. i had an argument with my mother about this recently. turns out she has been telling everyone she knows my personal business. We need to pray and not say! Tho, as i said, i have been guilty of gossip myself. Sad

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Reba
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 09:10:22 PM »

Go chocolate
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 05:15:07 AM »

Go chocolate

LOL! And you even made it chocolate colored!  Grin Hey, if we all are busy eating chocolate, then we couldn't gossip! Course, we'd have to stuff it in our ears to not listen to it.... Lips Sealed

Yup, I know people that do that. i had an argument with my mother about this recently. turns out she has been telling everyone she knows my personal business. We need to pray and not say! Tho, as i said, i have been guilty of gossip myself.

*sigh* Its' like a disease.... Lips Sealed

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 05:18:19 AM »

In searching the subject, I've come across mention of the problem in every denomination!  Lips Sealed But I liked the articles on it! Here's another.......

Gossip and Appropriate Speech

Why are one’s conversation and personal speech considered so important by Bible-believing Christians? Does the church really believe gossip is a sin?

Speech and conversation tell a great deal about one’s character. "Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matt. 12:34). We learn much about our Heavenly Father and His only begotten Son Jesus, by reading how Jesus conversed with the Father in prayer (Luke 22:41,42). The profanity and obscene talk of ungodly people reveal the nature of their hearts.

Spoken words have unbelievable power. Words are described as weapons, as swords and arrows (Psa. 57:4; 64:3; Jer. 9:Cool. James describes the power of the tongue and its words as the rudder of a ship or a spark that sets a forest on fire (James 3:2-12). Christians observe the power of the spoken word today in political propaganda and media news.

The Assemblies of God agrees with the Bible that gossip is sinful. The Bible clearly and frequently condemns all talebearing and idle talk. "Do not go about spreading slander among your people" (Lev. 19:16). "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless" (James 1:26). Jesus said "Men will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matt. 12:36,37). In every context, gossip is related to words, ideas, and behaviors entirely incompatible with Christian, Spirit-filled living.

The horror of gossip turns language or words, our best gift and most powerful tool, into a cruel weapon. Idle talk mangles truth and exchanges wisdom for foolishness (James 3). Gossip is the opposite of love (1 Cor. 13:6; Gal. 5:14,15). Instead of helpfulness it brings hurt. Instead of peace it brings anger and strife (Prov. 16:28; 2 Cor. 12:20). Where there should be trust it brings betrayal (Prov. 20:19).

Why is there gossip among Christians? Paul preaching to the Ephesians, and James passionately describing the power of the tongue, both say gossip is giving the devil a foothold. It is like fire out of hell (Eph. 4:25-32; James 3:6). A major reason for gossip in Christian churches, then, is failure to understand how serious it is, and how it is used by the devil.

There are other reasons for gossip. For some, sadly, it is a form of entertainment. But gossip is typically unfulfilling. It only temporarily satisfies one with the communication and relationship needs that God has designed to be met in edifying ways. Though sharing gossip can make people feel accepted and part of a group, it abuses persons outside the group. On occasion gossip is a projection of anger. Sometimes people "let off steam" by talking about something or someone other than the issue or person with whom they are angry. All of these reasons show that gossip does not belong in the life of a person whose confidence and strength is in the Lord, and whose joy comes from loving Christian service.

Telling truths can be wrong. Paul says that because something is lawful, or permissible, it is not always expedient or beneficial. We should not let any compulsion or habit master us, or bring us under its power (1 Cor. 6:12). What is basically true may not be constructive, uplifting, or kind to others. We should not act according to our impulses, but do that which is right for others (1 Cor. 10:23). Relating another’s private matters in a thoughtless way shows lack of self-control. It is a mark of spiritual maturity to refrain from any words that might embarrass, hurt, or offend (James 3:2).

What can we do about gossip? (1) Do not risk beginning a rumor by talking about others. Even in making prayer requests, be careful to say only what is necessary to explain the need. Do not ask suggestive questions, nor pry into the affairs of others. (2) Do not betray a confidence (Prov. 11:13). If you feel you must share a confidence to help someone, speak only to a pastor, or a parent who is in a position to act appropriately. (3) Do not listen to gossip. Express your intention not to listen. (4) Be a peacemaker. Be the one to put out fires (Prov. 26:20).

Our Vocabulary does matter. An often overlooked area of speech is the use of thoughtless expressions and minced oaths. Without using outright profanity, some Christians use words like "gee," "darn," and "gosh" without thinking of what they might be saying. Studies of the origins of words have demonstrated that these are senseless substitutions for "Jesus," "damn," and "God." Other seemingly innocent words with unknown origins are unwittingly used in the personal vocabulary of many Christians today. All believers would do well to evaluate the words they use in expressing themselves. A Christian’s speech should reflect God’s grace and give subtle testimony to the fact God is alive and at work in the life of the believer.

CONCERNS:

We sometimes wonder why there are so many tensions and disagreements in the Body of Christ, and especially in a local church. Most often the difficulty can be traced to a careless word spoken in haste and without thinking how others would understand or receive it. It may not be Scripture, but the old adage is in keeping with the command that we love one another and work toward the unity of the church: "Think before you speak." And while one is thinking, the Holy Spirit will have opportunity to speak first and cause the speaking to edify and unify believers.

Furthermore, the Spirit-filled believer should be concerned about prayers addressed to God, not to avoid offending God, but to use words that reflect an all-consuming love for our Lord. The baptism in the Holy Spirit, with the prayer language that comes with the infilling, provides a beautiful way of expressing love and praise for God when human expression seems so inadequate. The more we have intimate communion with God through the assistance of the Holy Spirit, the less hold the temptation to gossip will have on us. Paul’s word to the Ephesian church is good for us today, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen" (Eph. 4:29).

-----------------------------------------------------------

The above statement is based upon our common understanding of scriptural teaching.

All Scripture quotations are from the New International Version (NIV) unless otherwise specified.

Copyright ©2003 The General Council of the Assemblies of God

Reba
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 10:19:07 AM »

50 years in the Assemblies boy do i have loads of gossip... :-
X

Beautiful weather here  mid 80s gentle breeze..

The Lord said in ..
Matt 5:37

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
KJV
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2004, 02:47:48 PM »

Chocolate Grin

Our Vocabulary does matter. An often overlooked area of speech is the use of thoughtless expressions and minced oaths. Without using outright profanity, some Christians use words like "gee," "darn," and "gosh" without thinking of what they might be saying. Studies of the origins of words have demonstrated that these are senseless substitutions for "Jesus," "damn," and "God." Other seemingly innocent words with unknown origins are unwittingly used in the personal vocabulary of many Christians today. All believers would do well to evaluate the words they use in expressing themselves. A Christian’s speech should reflect God’s grace and give subtle testimony to the fact God is alive and at work in the life of the believer.
WOW! man, am i guilty olf those. i had thought that these may be substitutions. I really need to think about what i say before i open my mouth.  Lips Sealed

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2004, 07:31:10 AM »

50 years in the Assemblies boy do i have loads of gossip... :-
X

Beautiful weather here  mid 80s gentle breeze..

The Lord said in ..
Matt 5:37

But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
KJV

*spewing and laughing*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 07:32:47 AM by sincereheart » Logged

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2004, 07:34:59 AM »

Chocolate Grin

WOW! man, am i guilty olf those. i had thought that these may be substitutions. I really need to think about what i say before i open my mouth.  Lips Sealed

Lips Sealed Whitehorse had a thread on this, called:
" For those who haven't seen it yet...Oh your gosh!"

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=2864;start=0
 Lips Sealed

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2004, 07:37:55 AM »

GOSSIP IN THE CHURCH: Why we all suffer when it happens.
July 24, 2003
"For I fear that when I come, I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish; I fear that there may perhaps be quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder." (2 Corinthians 12:20)

One of the most destructive forces in the church today is gossip. Of course, this is nothing new. St. Paul the Apostle had to deal with it all the time in the churches he founded and ministered in. Unfortunately, despite the biblical warnings against the sin of gossip, many Christians find it simply to difficult to resist. The result is broken hearts and division in the Body of Christ.

As I travel across the nation and the world, I am exposed to more than a fair share of gossip. Sadly, many times this is even being done by church leaders. We pay so much attention to the "obvious sins," such as drug addiction or sexual immorality, but we ignore the serious threat of gossip. In fact, I have observed that gossip is pretty much accepted in the Church.

Sin is sin. I firmly believe that Christians should be reminded of this, and to take note that gossip is just as wicked as rebellion or forsaking the assembly. When is the last time you talked behind the back of a brother and sister? Or better yet, when is the last time you LISTENED to stories being passed around? Gossip serves no other purpose but to destroy another's integrity. In the end it is the gossiper who's integrity that should be questioned, even if their accusations are correct!

Recently, I was saddened to learn that I have been the subject of gossip. Of course, as a public figure I can expect such things, but that does not make it any less painful. Those who engage in this sinful activity rarely follow the Christian way of "going to the source" to answer their questions or express concerns. For myself, this creates the dilemma of trying to put out fires without knowing where they were started. My prayer is that we all examine ourselves with more conviction in this area, so that the edification of the Church is our sole intention.

~Archbishop Veron Mar Enoch (Ashe)

http://www.archbishopashe.com/news.html

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2004, 04:26:58 PM »

A Bishop was having trouble getting his three ministers to get along.

So he asked them to start meeting together weekly, to get to know each other better.

After several months of visiting and getting to know each other, finallyh one day the first minister spoke up:

"I've gotta level with you guys.  I have a drinking problem.  It's costing me more and more money, and I can't wait to get home to have a drink.

The other two nodded in silent sympathy.

Then the second one spoke up:

"Wow.  I've got a real problem too.  I can't seem to keep my hands out of the money box.  I gamble frequently, and I'm spending any collections as fast as they come in!!"

The other two nodded silently.

Finally, the third one said,

"I'm a habitual gossip, and I can't wait to get to the nearest telephone."

Huh

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the