Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:02:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Lord's Church is NOT an Organization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Lord's Church is NOT an Organization  (Read 12919 times)
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:30:58 PM »

I am somewhat reticent to post such a fundamental truth, but I think there are times when we need to be reminded of some of the basics.

Ephesians 1:22, et. al., reveal to us that we are the BODY of CHRIST. We are not an organization, but an organism. We are NOT catholic, protestant, or any denomination.

We are the living and visible expression of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the HEAD, and only He builds this Church and directs its activities on this earth.

Before His resurrection, there was no body of Christ. It was only after Pentecost with the Advent of the Holy Spirit that the Church came into existence.

We become a member of the Body of Christ when we are born again. It is then that the Holy Spirit BAPTIZES(not water) us into the body of Christ. (1 Cor 12:13) We are ALL baptized into ONE body.

aw
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 10:31:52 PM »

Posted like a true Independent.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 12:04:34 AM »

Thank you,and I am willing to "Lay down my life for the brethren," and to help anyone bear their burden to fulfill the law of Christ. As long as we have love for one another but it is at the same level as Christ loved us. Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!

aw
unworthy servant

Obey God rather than Men! Acts 5:29

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 12:37:27 AM »

Really, then why does the church have a board just like a corporation?  

And why does the church have a tax status, like a corporation,  which can be issued or revoked by the governenment?

What is the saying:  If it quacks like corporation and walks like a corporation, then it must be a coporation. A corporation is a

Who was on the board at the time of Christ?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 12:59:59 AM »

A corporation is a

You didn't finish this, so I thought I'd finish it for you:

A corporation is an organisation that exists to make a profit for its owners (shareholders).

So, if the Church exists to make money for its owner (Christ), then yes, I guess it's a corporation.  Somehow, I don't think that makes a lot of sense though.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 08:00:44 AM »

Really, then why does the church have a board just like a corporation?  

And why does the church have a tax status, like a corporation,  which can be issued or revoked by the governenment?

What is the saying:  If it quacks like corporation and walks like a corporation, then it must be a coporation. A corporation is a

Who was on the board at the time of Christ?

aw: The TRUE Church has none nor does these things. The CHURH is PEOPLE regardless of whether they are affiliated with some organization or not.

aw
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 08:55:18 AM »

Well, Aw, how do you think the church should be run? Everyone just hangs out in drum ciclers and home groups, each group studying and interpting things their own way? Roll Eyes Undecided

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 09:56:20 AM »

Well, Aw, how do you think the church should be run? Everyone just hangs out in drum ciclers and home groups, each group studying and interpting things their own way? Roll Eyes Undecided

Huh
Reba
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 10:01:12 AM »

The Lord's Church is NOT an Organization it is His body...
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 10:04:20 AM »

The Lord's Church is NOT an Organization it is His body...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 10:45:29 AM »

My point, friend, is that we are NOT RUN. We are the BODY of Christ and, as such, we are to be fitted together BY HIM. We are to work together as the "HEAD" directs the body.

Unfortunately, most go running after some man or institution that happens to be convenient, meets their social needs as some club, is prestigous, has a charismatic preacher, or is full of wealthy, influential people- ALL of which are dead WRONG! Some may be called to do as you said because tyhat is exdactly how the early church functioned; ie., in small groups meeting in private homes.

There is absolutely no scriptural or apostolic authority for constructing large buildings and attempting to generate large numbers so the various PROGRAMS can be financed. There is no prohibition against it, but there is nothing wrong with meeting in small groups either.

I have seen the Lord present where there were 2 or 3 gatherd in His name and totally absent from the midst of hundreds.

aw
aw
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 10:59:05 AM »

Let me just start by saying AMEN AW[/b][/u]!!!  Cheesy

The church is not a building.  It is a body, both locally and universally, as is illustrated in the bible.  Yet, this body does act corporately in certain matters.  Just read through Acts to see this.  So in that Tibby, I would agree.

However, I don't think AW is trying to argue church polity, nearly as much as he is trying to point out that whether you are a saved Catholic, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist or Non Denominational believer, then you are a member of the one body of Christ called the church.  God's not going to sanction off sections for those who think otherwise in Heaven like the old Baptist joke relates!  Cheesy

As American believers, we miss this.  We do not view the church down the road, though of like faith an practice, as our brothers or sisters in Christ.  Nor do we even dare to view the church down the road that is not of like faith and practice as our brethren!  Rather, we try to convert eyes to be ears, or feet to be hands.  Shame really.

I agree AW my brother.  Good post.   Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 11:00:23 AM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
unworthy servant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 11:59:37 AM »

Just like in the times of the Scriptures, if you don't run your church/corporation according to the dictates of the ruling authority they take your authority to run your church/corporation.  No tax free tax status means, No right off on the "faithful's" income tax then the "faithful" stop funding your church/corporation.

Joh 11:48 - "If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation."

When did Christ sign up to be "tax free"?
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 12:25:55 PM »

Correct. I am just trying to get us to focus on who we are- "THE FAMILY OF GOD." WQe are never referred to in scripture as some particular building, name, person, or doctrine.

We are supposed to be a close- knit community of people who love each other in an atmosphere of acceptance and support whrein spairtual maturity can occur. Concuurrently, we are to be a Beacon of LIGHT to a lost and dying world.

aw
unworthy servant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 12:45:51 PM »

aw said "Concuurrently, we are to be a Beacon of LIGHT to a lost and dying world."

I was just wondering how brightly this beacon is shining when the "faithful" are asking for an undeserved, double blessing?  Since the "faithful" send in records of their charitible donations (church, poor, etc) to Caesar to get a monetary gain from him, why would the "faithful" expect to get another  gain (blessing) from God?  How is that being a "beacon"?

Matthew 6:1-4  "Beware of practicing your righteousness before men to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven. "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, *****they have their reward in full*******. "But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving  will be in secret; and your  Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the