Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Veterans/Military
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Veterans/Military  (Read 4229 times)
sentry

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:22:43 PM »

After reading the replies in prayer about veterans, I thought it might be of interest to see how many out there were, still are or know someone in the military and if so, a little information about it. I'll start it: 

I am a two tour veteran of VietNam.  I was in the Military Police, a sentry dog handler and trainer. I trained and handled three dogs, all German Shepard's. Then I became an Operations Sergeant.  I was also a Co. Commander's aide and briefing instructor.

Every journey begins with one step, when the destination is reached the journey ends, with the next step another journey begins.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:04:34 PM »

Hello sentry,

First let me say thank you for your service. I like the idea of this. It is great to be able to get to know others a bit better. I know there are a number of people here that either served in the Military or has family members that did. I hope that they will join in and tell us more about that themselves. Having members from all over the world there may even be some that served in the Military for other nations besides the U.S. and I hope that they join in also as they also deserve that recognition.

I served in the U.S. Navy from 1969 to 1987 and then again in 1990 to 1991. I served three consecutive tours in Viet Nam both inland and on the USS Enterprise CVAN-65 in Yankee Station. I was stationed in Guam, Hawaii, California (various bases), the USS Schofield FFG3, USS Cape Cod AD43 and at a Hospital Unit in Bahrain during Desert Storm. I was a Radioman Chief upon retiring. The Radioman rate no longer exists and is now called Information Technologists which changed shortly after I left service.

My nephew was in the reserves for the Marine Corps and then changed over to the Navy. He was an MP while in the Navy and was called active to serve in Kuwait/Iraq. He just got back home last year.

My youngest son is a driver in a transportation unit of the Army. He is currently scheduled for deployment sometime next year.

My Uncle served in WWII as a driver for the Red Cross trucks delivering supplies and mail and my oldest sisters husband served in the Korean war as an Infantryman.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »

Hello Sentry and All!

First, I'm happy to find this thread and want to thank everyone - past and present - who have served our country in the Armed Services. I served in the Army during the 60's, but I'm not a Veteran. I was a short-timer in the Air Defense Command and had an MOS that was barely needed in Vietnam. I served most of my life as a police officer.

Second, I respect everyone who serves whether it's in a foreign war or not, but I have a special place in my heart for Veterans of Foreign Wars. Everyone who serves gives and sacrifices, but the Veterans give the most and sacrifice the most - including their very lives. I lost many great friends in Vietnam, and I feel horrible about how returning Veterans were treated. I live at Lawton Fort Sill, Oklahoma, so I have ample opportunities to honor and thank our Veterans returning from Iraq. When I'm physically able, I like to attend their homecoming ceremonies, and I like to thank them personally every chance I get. My son is a two time Veteran of the Iraq war and served on the Aircraft Carrier Nimitz. I remember several letters from him where he expressed guilt that he had things easier than many of his friends on land. He was a Nuclear Engineer and served in one of the Reactor Rooms. The hours and conditions were extremely harsh, but he still felt like he wanted to be with many of his friends on land. For him, 18 to 20 hours a day in over 100 degree temperature wasn't enough. I understand his thoughts, but he and his mates made it possible for many others to do their jobs, get supplies, and perform missions around the clock - 7 days a week. I'm very proud of him. He did everything and more than what was expected of him. He finally understood this. Regardless, he is very proud to have served his country.

In fact, many in every generation with courage and dignity have served their country and families around the world. I give thanks to GOD for the freedoms we enjoy, and I pray that we never take any of them for granted. They were all paid for and preserved with blood, sweat, and tears. The same is true for any country with freedom and liberty. There is always some power wanting to remove that freedom and liberty and replace it with bondage and slavery.

Some will think that I've already been long-winded, so I'll conclude this. The men and women of the Armed Forces - past and current - are my kind of folks, and I give thanks for them! The vast majority of us all feel the same way. Some folks with big mouths and leftist views disrespect our Armed Forces, and they don't speak for the vast majority of us. We love you and respect you! You are our fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, relatives, and friends! Your service and sacrifice will never be forgotten!

THANK YOU VETERANS!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:48:33 PM »

Brother, the Air Defense Command was a very important part of our defense. If not for those that manned it this nation would be a very different place today if it even existed at all. If you were active for at least 180 consecutive days then you are indeed a Veteran.

I hear a lot of former Military that say similar things just because they feel they did very little and were perhaps even stateside the entire time. If not for those many that served in those positions those of us on the front lines would not have been able to do our jobs. I know that I appreciate each and every one that did Military service irregardless of where or when it was.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »

Hello Pastor Roger,

This has been many years ago, and I probably didn't explain things very well. Regardless, I share your thoughts and appreciate everyone who serves their country in the Armed Services. One of the expressions I remember from many of my friends was "In Theater" - meaning to me that they were there and in harm's way. By the way, I still have many close friends who are suffering from various problems and injuries from the Vietnam War. How they were treated by some when they returned certainly didn't help any. I've never understood why some decided to mistreat, abuse, and disrespect returning Veterans. I also remember that 3 MILLION innocent people DIED because we left Vietnam without finishing that job. I've always compared this to what would have happened had we not finished the job in World War II.

I didn't bring this up to open old wounds, rather to Respect those who served in Vietnam. Many have told me they didn't want to leave in defeat, and they felt that leaving was a slap in the face and a failure to appreciate their sacrifices and the sacrifices of many others. Many told me that they felt their wounds were in vain because of leaving and letting 3 MILLION innocent people get butchered. There is a time when the strong should defend the weak, and this was RIGHT. Please forgive me if I opened old wounds. I really did mention this for the express purpose of saying that I respect, thank, and appreciate Vietnam Veterans. THEY DIDN'T LOSE, AND IT WASN'T THEIR FAULT THAT 3 MILLION PEOPLE DIED WHEN WE LEFT VIETNAM! Our society and government is who failed! I hope and pray this doesn't happen again.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »

Sometimes and I do mean some, it is good to open old wounds. A reminder of why we did what we did and what we should be doing today. It is when we forget history that we again make the same mistakes all over again. It is for this reason that so many Veterans do what they can to ensure that other Veterans do not get treated the same way. I returned from Viet Nam, not once but three times. I praise God for that daily. I also remember the treatment. Getting off an airplane and walking through the airport amidst a lot of jeers and being spit upon. I still have the ribbons I was wearing that day with the dried up spit still on them hanging on my wall as a reminder. Another time in which I returned on a ship there was a protest just outside the base that prevented my family from getting in to me and keeping me from going out to them. My car windshield was broken that day, my wife had been driving and our kids were in the car and a threat of a bombing on the base by the Weather Underground.

I also remember returning to my home town where many of the people came out of their homes and shops to greet me, shake my hand and thank me. That was the reason that I decided to re-enlist, to make a career of the Military. It was those that appreciated the Military and their freedoms that were unable to serve themselves. That and all those that died when we pulled out of Viet Nam made me decide to do what I could, as little as it may be, to see that it never happened again. It wasn't so much any pride I felt in myself but rather the love that I felt coming from those who were appreciative as well as the hatred from others. It was the hatred that needed to be stopped and those with love that needed to be protected.

It is those that protested and rioted then, supposedly against tyranny, that want to impose tyranny on the people today. It is those that we need to not only pray for but to attempt to stop their actions and their hatred in any legal manner that we can.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »

A day late, but happy Veteran's Day.

I am proud to know many of you as veterans.  And some came before me and I thank God for you, and I thank you for your sacrafice.
I am honored to know many that are currently serving.  And as soon as you joined you became a veteran and I thank God too for you.  And I thank you for keeping me and my family safe.
I am blessed to know some that may one day serve.  And I pray God will protect you and guide you. 

It is a blessing to know that God still calls men and women to serve in the armed forces.  Jesus said of the centurion that there was no one with greater faith.  I believe that faith comes in knowing that what you are fighting for is the right of every living being to be given the opportunity to realize that they too were endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights.  The rights of life, of liberty, and to pursue happiness in all that they may do.

I also am one who served.  I was in the United States Navy from 1989 to 1989.  I served during the First Gulf War as well as during the crisis in Bosnia.  My first ship was the U.S.S. Scott (DDG-995) and the second time around was the U.S.S. Ticonderoga (CG-47).  I pulled two Med Cruises during my 6 years, a North Atlantic where I got my Blue Nose, and a dozen or so Carib runs doing drug ops with the Coast Guard.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »

Pastor Roger,

What you just wrote is powerful and speaks volumes. It's very close to the descriptions given by many other people. Many were and are Christians, and their motivation was PURE. They were saving the lives of innocent people and trying to stop MASS BUTCHERS like Hitler. There was no shame in their motivation. They COULD HAVE AND WOULD HAVE WON with the proper support from home, and 3 MILLION innocents would have been saved. There are still many unanswered questions, but I simply want to stop and say that our finest were abused and denied VICTORY! A significant number of people like Hanoi Jane are still with us today, and it appears that our government could pretty easily turn into a limp-wristed wimp. The cost of such horrendous errors involves dignity and honor down to the core backbone of this nation, and we should also know that the end result will probably be a massive number of innocent lives lost. The innocent lives lost could easily be our own families and neighbors these days. We can't afford to have a demoralized, undermanned, under-equipped, under-funded, or under-supported Armed Forces in this day and age. They must be given respect, dignity, victory, and everything a grateful nation should give them if we want our own to survive. There hasn't been another 9-11, and we should all know why. We can be assured that the terrorist still want to come get us, but they have been kept too busy every time they pop their heads out of a cave. Their numbers have been decimated, and the terrorists have been demoralized with relentless pressure and attacks. This is the only way to defeat them, and they are being defeated. They will be hunted down and defeated unless our government makes another HORRENDOUS ERROR! The terrorists want our government to give them a break, some breathing space, and time to regroup. It would be insane to give them what they want! A lengthy record indicates they are of the type who NEVER keep their promises, so attempted diplomacy is also insane! SADLY, OUR GOVERNMENT IS DOING MANY INSANE THINGS THESE DAYS, AND WE SHOULDN'T HOLD OUR BREATH IN THE HOPES THAT IT WON'T GET WORSE!

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »

I was in the Air Force a long time ago and wish I had stayed in and retired. I was a Sergeant when I got out. I liked my work but not some of the people--especially the supervisors. I had the mistaken idea that as a civilian I could just pack up and leave if I didn't like my job. However, by the time I got dissatisfied in my civilian job, it was too late; I had too much time invested. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:23:51 AM »

I was in the Air Force a long time ago and wish I had stayed in and retired. I was a Sergeant when I got out. I liked my work but not some of the people--especially the supervisors. I had the mistaken idea that as a civilian I could just pack up and leave if I didn't like my job. However, by the time I got dissatisfied in my civilian job, it was too late; I had too much time invested. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Whether civilian or Military job there will always be difficulties of that nature. I was considered a rebel by my Military Chain of Command yet every time there was a difficult job to do they always called on me to do it and always set me up to train others because even though I may have bucked the system they knew that I would get the job done and it would be done right in the end.

Brother, I thank you for your service.

I also am one who served.  I was in the United States Navy from 1989 to 1989.  I served during the First Gulf War as well as during the crisis in Bosnia.  My first ship was the U.S.S. Scott (DDG-995) and the second time around was the U.S.S. Ticonderoga (CG-47).  I pulled two Med Cruises during my 6 years, a North Atlantic where I got my Blue Nose, and a dozen or so Carib runs doing drug ops with the Coast Guard.

Huh Your dates (one year) and time served don't add up.  Wink

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »

I also want to thank you all for your service!  As many of you know my son just got out of the Navy a couple of months ago.  He was in twice.  He would've made a career of it the second time but got hurt in a humvee (sp?) accident and hurt his back and shoulders.  He told me last week that he is having a hard time not being in uniform any more.
I also have a favorite uncle who was in the Army and did two tours in Nam.  He went in as a Private and retired as a very high ranking officer.  He was very affected by Nam though both physically and emotionally.
I just want to thank all of you and pray blessings on you for your service.

Let us fight the good fight!
Sandra

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »

First of all I would like to thank all the men and women that server in the military.I have a friend he was my neighbor growing up he served in the Gulf war.

Sandra
allaboutGod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 11:09:59 PM »

Thank you all for the things that you endured so that we can live in the country that we do today.

I also was in the navy though I don't count my self a vet because I was only in long enough for "A" school when I was medically discharged. Looking back on it I believe that God told me to join so that I would have the money I need for school and to get me out of Hawaii. I now live in tulsa and attending Rhema bible church. will be in school this coming summer.
sentry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:21 PM »

I have read each one of the replies below several times.  I remember as if were this morning leaving VietNam, the feeling of getting off the plane and hearing the words, the anger, the hatred. The ballons filled with urine and other stuff hitting me as I tried to get to the terminal. You are right Pastor Roger, sometimes it is good to open old wounds but I can truthfully say some wounds never seem to heal. I felt so proud to serve my country, just as my father had done and generations before me but what had I done that was so wrong?  This was my question. I didn't want to be there, I didn't want to live in fear twenty four hours a day, I didn't want to see what I saw. But I did and now I have to live with this as do so many more. I tell very few people things like this, it seems like it just won't come out but just reading what you all have written has opened up something inside of me. To know that there are those all around the world who really do care and really do appreciate the sacrifice.  I have a love of my life who has given me more strength to deal with this than I ever thought anyone could give me and I thank God for her and I thank God for bringing me home to my family. Without Him I wouldn't be here.  I am sorry if this seems out of place but it just felt like I had to do this.  Thank you all for your love and respect.

Every journey begins with one step, when the destination is reached the journey ends, with the next step another journey begins.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 12:36:41 AM »

Hello sentry,

No it is not out of place. We are told in scripture that we are to help carry each others burdens and to pray for one another. If we don not open up to others then others cannot know how to help nor how to pray.

For anyone to say that they were not afraid would be foolish. How a person dealt with that fear is what made the biggest difference. I gave it over to God and kept it in my mind why I was there. Irregardless of what others said about me did not matter as I had already confirmed it in both my mind and heart with God that I was doing the right thing and I would do it again today were I able.

Yes, there are many around the world that do appreciate what we have done and what we are doing still today. Although you won't here of it in the media there are many in Iraq and Afghanistan that appreciate our being there just as there were in Viet Nam.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the