Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Tracts and stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracts and stuff  (Read 3904 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 23, 2003, 02:12:56 PM »

We order mix-packs of tracts, and put them on the back table in a have basket organized by category for the people to pick up to hand out. We got a pack on the other day, and one of the tracts of “Left behind” which stated the hold theology of the series, and preached to be saved before this time, etc, etc. The problem is a few of us do not ascribe to the particular belief.

We decided to trash it.

My question this, Should tracks start specific theologies like this, or should they just preach the basic gospel and how to be saved?

Also, I was reading a lot of the new Muslims tracts. It seems that lot of tracts do more to tell why some else’s belief is wrong, not why Christianity is right. They attack the philosophies, history,  and doctrine of these people, and spend very little time talking about Jesus. What are your thoughts on this?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Mr. 5020

Proverbs 27:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 08:15:26 PM »

I don't know why they do this, but I would guess that it has something to do with letting them know they're lost before trying to get them found.

We order mix-packs of tracts, and put them on the back table in a have basket organized by category for the people to pick up to hand out. We got a pack on the other day, and one of the tracts of “Left behind” which stated the hold theology of the series, and preached to be saved before this time, etc, etc. The problem is a few of us do not ascribe to the particular belief.

We decided to trash it.

My question this, Should tracks start specific theologies like this, or should they just preach the basic gospel and how to be saved?

Also, I was reading a lot of the new Muslims tracts. It seems that lot of tracts do more to tell why some else’s belief is wrong, not why Christianity is right. They attack the philosophies, history,  and doctrine of these people, and spend very little time talking about Jesus. What are your thoughts on this?

Mr. 5020
---------------
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why so few engage in it." -Henry Ford
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 10:03:22 PM »

I don't know why they do this, but I would guess that it has something to do with letting them know they're lost before trying to get them found.

We decided to trash it.

So what does one do, only keep the parts of the Gospel, one likes to share with people??

In sharing the Gospel, one point is that man is lost, and that there is way that seemeth right to a man, but that way, are the ways of death.

It is essential one understand he is lost, without God, in the world, and without hope, in order to understand what it is he is being saved from.

This may be the reason, why people are so deceived today, they get a warped gospel and believe because they join or sign up a become a member, they are christians.

Good luck.........

Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 11:42:03 PM »

Amen, Petro. Most “street evangelism” is about convincing, not converting. Why talk them into your belief when talking them out of there is so much easier? A devout Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist isn’t going to fall for this, only the ones who lack knowledge of there belief, and do not trust in there religion. Are these the kind of people we want filling the pews? People without faith or loyality? Robots who except everything they are told blindly? Sure, we need all people, but come on...

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 12:18:46 AM »

I would say go with the plain simple Gosple- the Grace of GOD through Jesus Christ, and trust in the Holy Spirit, for the Holy Spirit prepares the hart.

1 Thessalonians 1
4   Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.
5   For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. KJV  

1 Thessalonians 1
  • brethren beloved by God, we recognize and know that He has selected (chosen) you;
5For our [preaching of the] glad tidings (the Gospel) came to you not only in word, but also in [its own inherent] power and in the Holy Spirit and with great conviction and absolute certainty [on our part]. You know what kind of men we proved [ourselves] to be among you for your good.
 AMP.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 07:27:28 AM »

Amen, Petro. Most “street evangelism” is about convincing,

Is this the way you do "street evangelization", put tracks at the back of youyr church and hope some one takes them.

This is the way you perceive the gathering of people to your brand of religion...clearly, you must convince those who know something, the ignorant about the word of God, can't tell the difference;  and, of course this is why you, throw some tracts away while keeping those that agree with your brand of theology.

not converting.

You convert souls??  Turning them to catholicISM, is not converting souls, at all, it smacks of convincing them, that the commandments of men are the doctrines of God.

Why talk them into your belief when talking them out of there is so much easier? A devout Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist isn’t going to fall for this, only the ones who lack knowledge of there belief, and do not trust in there religion. Are these the kind of people we want filling the pews?

You really make clear what your goal is; "to fill pews", nevermind the truth, which is more important??

isn't it, that they be convinced  by Gods Word they are sinners.

I never mention my chuch or my beliefs when evangelizing, have I mentioned my denomination to you, ever, except when you have asked, and even after I share it with you, you still have no clue.

Clearly you are interested in bodies, to bring them under the yoke of bondage to your religion, and not that they may know the truth that sets free those who come to God.

People without faith or loyality? Robots who except everything they are told blindly? Sure, we need all people, but come on...

I am not the one interested in nonsense, like the holy grail, mysticism, or other foolishness, but the pure Word of God.

If you notice, I always quote the scriptures, when I share.

You can to, if you were not so deceptive, zigging and zagging, ..............ziggy.........

Blessings,
Petro
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 07:32:38 AM by Petro » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 07:45:19 AM »

I would say go with the plain simple Gosple- the Grace of GOD through Jesus Christ, and trust in the Holy Spirit, for the Holy Spirit prepares the hart.

1 Thessalonians 1
4   Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.
5   For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake. KJV  

1 Thessalonians 1
  • brethren beloved by God, we recognize and know that He has selected (chosen) you;
5For our [preaching of the] glad tidings (the Gospel) came to you not only in word, but also in [its own inherent] power and in the Holy Spirit and with great conviction and absolute certainty [on our part]. You know what kind of men we proved [ourselves] to be among you for your good.
 AMP.

You are on to something there forrest.

A track is nothing other than a tool, it may contain a verse or two, or convey an idea, or pose a question, or explain the nature or God or man.

It isn't the complete Gospel, though some do a very good job of presenting elements of it.

Since it is God who prepares hearts, we should share Gods words, not tracks, although occasionally this may be called for.

Many people think, passing out a track is evangelizing, I don't, because it isn't enough just to hand a paper or something over, without sharing the concern of the soul.

In my opnion, if one is going to hand out tracks without sharing the Word, it would be better tibby's way, put them on a table and let people take the ones they want.

At least that way they might get read, before winding up in the trash can.

Giving out Gods Word is exactly that, and it is found in His Book, tracks may contain it, some don't, they convey thoughts.

Blessings,
Petro

Mr. 5020

Proverbs 27:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 12:23:40 PM »

Stop giving Tibby tips!  The last thing we need is more Catholics!  Grin

I'm praying for you, Tibby.

Mr. 5020
---------------
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why so few engage in it." -Henry Ford
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 02:54:43 PM »

Is this the way you do "street evangelization", put tracks at the back of youyr church and hope some one takes them.

This is the way you perceive the gathering of people to your brand of religion...clearly, you must convince those who know something, the ignorant about the word of God, can't tell the difference;  and, of course this is why you, throw some tracts away while keeping those that agree with your brand of theology.

What’s wrong with you? Man, you could find something wrong with Heaven!

The Tracts in the back are for the people of the church, not the unsaved. So they may take them out. See, a year or 2 ago, someone wanted us to give him a place to get some tracts. We gave him what we had (including many few chick tracts our youth pastor had left over from some CFNI fieldtrip he took, so stop accusinguse of something when you know nothing about it). Then, we had the idea to put tracts on the back table, so if anyone else wasn’t to get some tracts and hand then into a friend or co-worker who isn’t saved, they can pick them up.

You convert souls??  Turning them to catholicISM, is not converting souls, at all, it smacks of convincing them, that the commandments of men are the doctrines of God.

Wow, you must watch us through a crystal ball!

You really make clear what your goal is; "to fill pews", nevermind the truth, which is more important??

I never mention my chuch or my beliefs when evangelizing, have I mentioned my denomination to you, ever, except when you have asked, and even after I share it with you, you still have no clue.

We don’t either, and that is the whole point of this thread, smart guy! I am talking about how I disagree with tract companies publishing tract that share personal theology, not the gospel of salvation. I asked to see if others agree. You agree, but can't take the fact a Catholic might agree with you, so, you attack.

Clearly you are interested in bodies, to bring them under the yoke of bondage to your religion, and not that they may know the truth that sets free those who come to God.

I am not the one interested in nonsense, like the holy grail, mysticism, or other foolishness, but the pure Word of God.

This is where I sigh and roll my eyes. Mysticism was part of a discussion me and a friend where having, The Holy Grail is a name you saw to much in. It is just a name, get over it. The Foolishness is someone who takes a name, and without reading the thread, attacks the poster for using it. Foolishness would be someone who attacks another people who agrees with them because that person is Catholic.

You can to, if you were not so deceptive, zigging and zagging, ..............ziggy.........

But, I agree with you on 90% of what we say. So if I’m deceptive… Smiley

What is with you Petro? All I hear from you is Judgment and ridicule. I agree with you, and you still put me down. Did Catholics beat you as a child or something? I know how you self, once being as you are now. A lot of people don’t trying understand Catholicism, and think it is wrong, but you hold more hatred for Catholicism then someone I’ve meet in real life or on the net. Either way, I ask, in the spirit of the forum rule, that you would show more love and kindness. Of course, this is your right to say no, but I beg you to please show a little more love and respect in your posts. The word of God speaks of love. You can quote till you are blue is the face, but until you live it, it doesn’t mean a thing.

Of course, you are going to ignore this anyways, and twist one of my sentences or correct my gramar, so as not to face the trust like you always do. So how about we just drop it, and stay on topic, ok? Smiley You want to contenue this, PM me with your reply, spare the board of our our silly squabbles.

Love,
Chris  

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 07:47:10 PM »

What’s wrong with you? Man, you could find something wrong with Heaven!

The Tracts in the back are for the people of the church, not the unsaved. So they may take them out. See, a year or 2 ago, someone wanted us to give him a place to get some tracts. We gave him what we had (including many few chick tracts our youth pastor had left over from some CFNI fieldtrip he took, so stop accusinguse of something when you know nothing about it). Then, we had the idea to put tracts on the back table, so if anyone else wasn’t to get some tracts and hand then into a friend or co-worker who isn’t saved, they can pick them up.

Wow, you must watch us through a crystal ball!

We don’t either, and that is the whole point of this thread, smart guy! I am talking about how I disagree with tract companies publishing tract that share personal theology, not the gospel of salvation. I asked to see if others agree. You agree, but can't take the fact a Catholic might agree with you, so, you attack.

This is where I sigh and roll my eyes. Mysticism was part of a discussion me and a friend where having, The Holy Grail is a name you saw to much in. It is just a name, get over it. The Foolishness is someone who takes a name, and without reading the thread, attacks the poster for using it. Foolishness would be someone who attacks another people who agrees with them because that person is Catholic.

But, I agree with you on 90% of what we say. So if I’m deceptive… Smiley

What is with you Petro? All I hear from you is Judgment and ridicule. I agree with you, and you still put me down. Did Catholics beat you as a child or something? I know how you self, once being as you are now. A lot of people don’t trying understand Catholicism, and think it is wrong, but you hold more hatred for Catholicism then someone I’ve meet in real life or on the net. Either way, I ask, in the spirit of the forum rule, that you would show more love and kindness. Of course, this is your right to say no, but I beg you to please show a little more love and respect in your posts. The word of God speaks of love. You can quote till you are blue is the face, but until you live it, it doesn’t mean a thing.

Of course, you are going to ignore this anyways, and twist one of my sentences or correct my gramar, so as not to face the trust like you always do. So how about we just drop it, and stay on topic, ok? Smiley You want to contenue this, PM me with your reply, spare the board of our our silly squabbles.

Love,
Chris  

My your are sensitive. Whats wrong with you??

If you note, I was on topic throughtout, in anwering your sly comments.

You already had posted once before your disdain for chic tracts, so why bring it up again.

The tract you dislike, is a best seller, in non english speaking countries, for your information, what qualifies you, to judge whether a tract is effective or not, anyhow?

I assume at your age, you are not the one in charge of the outreach committee of your church, or are you an Elder there
already??

From your grasp of scripture, its a wonder you can make such judgment calls on these, anyhow..

I never said anything about the catholic church, its just dumb chance I guess, that mysticism, and the holy grail, are somehow associated with it, you should know more about this stuff  then protestant Christians, yet you ask for opinions.

What I do know about the Catholic church is that they, killed, and persecuted Christians before the Reformation, and teach tradition on par with Holy Writ.

The point I was making is that one must understand they are lost in order to understand they need to be saved.  Not join a church, since membership in a churh doesn't garauntee anything to anybody.

You don't agree??

Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 08:47:43 PM »

My your are sensitive. Whats wrong with you??

When you blatantly attack someone, the rebuttal is a defense. Nothing to do with sensitivity

If you note, I was on topic throughtout, in anwering your sly comments.

In parts, it was.

You already had posted once before your disdain for chic tracts, so why bring it up again.

Yeah, that was my point. Everyone knows my dislike for Jack and his tract company. You seemed to have some idea that we only give out tracts that agree with our theology. We do not. I said we use these tracts, which I dislike, to show you that we do not use tracts that “agree with us” but that agree with the word of God. Some of this tracts are rather good. When he gets specific, that is when he goes off. I starts the fact that we use these tracts to make a point, one you must not have gotten.

The tract you dislike, is a best seller, in non english speaking countries, for your information, what qualifies you, to judge whether a tract is effective or not, anyhow?

Which tract are the referring to? And best seller on who’s list?

I assume at your age, you are not the one in charge of the outreach committee of your church, or are you an Elder there already??

Haha, nope, not yet. Grin As the Youth Leader and pastors son, I hold a place in my church others of my age do not, and I’m not an Elder, yet.

From your grasp of scripture, its a wonder you can make such judgment calls on these, anyhow.

Tracts are not mentioned in the bible, but they must teach the scripture, nothing more or less. Whether or not you believe “Left Behind” isn’t the issue, the issue is the Left Behind story isn’t the kind of thing that should be in a tract. The things talked of in left behind are not biblical, and they just a few peoples version of the bible.

I never said anything about the catholic church, its just dumb chance I guess, that mysticism, and the holy grail, are somehow associated with it, you should know more about this stuff  then protestant Christians, yet you ask for opinions.

I never said you did. Anything I said about Catholics was in reply to “Turning them to catholicISM, is not converting souls” implying you think we teach “Catholicism not Christianity” on the street. The thing of mysticism is something I was talking with my friend (all protestant, by the way) about. It was an interesting topic, I thought I’d post it. Not sure where the term “holy grail” came from. Maybe the Catholic Church, or perhaps the French coined the term when they rewrote the Arthurian legends. Maybe George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Monty Python invented it. Who knows. Me and some friend (catholic, this time, but not the same rite as me) where talking about the cups and such, and again, I thought it would be an interesting topic to post. Thanks to British comedy and Action Trilogies, the “holy grail” is just a general term used to shorten “The cup Jesus drank from in the lords supper.” Either way, these are just topic we are talking about. My Opinions: Faith can be mystic at times, and the cup Jesus drank from is long gone by now.

What I do know about the Catholic church is that they, killed, and persecuted Christians before the Reformation, and teach tradition on par with Holy Writ.

And American’s cheated Indians out of their land and killed them all. Doesn’t mean America was found as an evil country, nor does it mean all American’s are evil now. It is history, lets learn from it and move on. A few mistakes doesn’t null a form or worship to God. As for tradition being on par with Holy Writ, I think on par is the wrong term. Up there, yes, but not on par. When the bible says to follow the writings of the Apostles and oral traditions, to us, the liturgy is that tradition. And for those who have been involved in a liturgy known the whole thing is centered around Jesus and the bible.

The point I was making is that one must understand they are lost in order to understand they need to be saved.  Not join a church, since membership in a churh doesn't garauntee anything to anybody.

You don't agree??

I do agree. Tell your protestant friends that. I do not state my church, theology, or denomination when talking to someone. If they ask, guild them into the trust, but I am against flat out telling people who are searching which group to join. This is the point I was trying to get across in this thread:

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=1660

Salvation is the important part. After the person is saved, the MUST find a group to join to guild them in their studies. We can give them advice on what group to join if they ask. And if they do, tell then which group, and give biblical reason why you say this group. People spend to much time talking people out of their own beliefs, or into an other, and not enough time just telling them about Jesus.

Fr. Rusty, the priest over our sister parish, has a great testimony.  When he first gets saved (in prison) he did it when a Chaplin told him about God. Later, a Baptist came up to him “You HAVE to be Baptist to be saved, no matter what.” He became Baptist. Then, another guy came up “You don’t need Baptist and there legalize, as long as you read king james, you are saved.” So he got his hands on a king james. Then a Methodist came to him “You need to be Methodist, the combine the Baptist and Catholic, so they have the truth of all.” Needless to say, this was very confusing for him, a baby Christian. We don’t need to being Baby Christians through this! They need to be taught Salvation, not doctrine. Let them study the word, and talk to many different pastors and leaders. Help them find the truth, not the church. Evangelism isn’t a sport.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2003, 10:38:27 AM »

You agree with me, 90% of the time??

Please??  Keep dreaming...Thats not important anyhow,

Setting "tracts and stuff" , aside;

What is important is that you agree, with the Word of God..

Only then will we agree.

Blessings,
Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2003, 12:44:57 PM »

We agree on almost everything not denominationally related. You will disagree with me about the things we agree on, sometimes. Sorry, buddy. As hard as it is for you grasp, Catholics do read and follow the word of God. It isn’t some gift given only to you and your clan. Catholics and other groups have it, too, and use it as the foundation for everything they do. There isn't some secret revelation that allows you to read it more clearly then the rest of us. It is called the spirit of God, something we all have. Keep denying it, but that doesn’t change a thing. Yes, we agree with the word of God. That is the whole point of this thread. Some tracts doesn’t teach the word of God, and I disagree with that.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2003, 06:56:31 PM »

We agree on almost everything not denominationally related. You will disagree with me about the things we agree on, sometimes. Sorry, buddy. As hard as it is for you grasp, Catholics do read and follow the word of God. It isn’t some gift given only to you and your clan. Catholics and other groups have it, too, and use it as the foundation for everything they do. There isn't some secret revelation that allows you to read it more clearly then the rest of us. It is called the spirit of God, something we all have. Keep denying it, but that doesn’t change a thing. Yes, we agree with the word of God. That is the whole point of this thread. Some tracts doesn’t teach the word of God, and I disagree with that.

You are dreaming.

Worshipping and praying to Mary, is not taught in the bible.

Neither is obedience to a pope as an infallible mouthpiece for God, who has the power to forgive sin on the eearth, binding and setting free sinners at will, anathemizing and blessing them that disagree with catholic doctrine found in scripture.

And neither is praying for intecession to idols and relics of dead saints, found in the Holy Scriptures.

How can you square any this up, with what you say.

To hear you speak, you believe what I believe....

I don't think so.

Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 07:54:09 PM »

I have corrected you on these topics numerous times. I’ve even tried coming at it from different angles, to see if that would help you comprehend. I’m not going to get into it with you yet again.

Keep believing what you will, doesn’t change the fact that they are lies to discredit the Catholic Church, or that we do agree on most of the topics we discuss.

Sorry.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the