Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Witnessing (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share your witnessing methods!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share your witnessing methods!  (Read 28594 times)
father ira

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »

Everyone share your different witnessing methods so that others who doesn't know about witnessing will have an idea on how it goes. Here's mine:

1.) I approach my "prospect" and try to introduce myself (don't mention anything about God first or don't give a hint ). Get to know him. Know where he lives, his hobbies, his likes, dislikes. Be friends!

2.) Ask him if goes to church. Know his church background.

3.)If he says he's a Christian then he's easy to talk to but then, we have to assure his salvation. So I ask him two questions:
   a.) If we are going to die today, are you sure you are going to heaven? (I have to say "we" because I don't want him to feel uncomfortable) ~if his answer is yes, proceed to the next question, if no still proceed  Cheesy

b.) If we did actually die and we arrive in heaven but God asks us "Why should I let you in my heaven?" what would you say? (He is most likely to answer "Because I go to church" or "I'm a good boy")

4.) Then I say "There is a good news. Heaven is free. You don't have to pay for it because Jesus has already paid for your sins. As Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death". He was crucified  on the cross.   He gave the ultimate sacrifice. Hebrews 9:22 says "without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin." ~improvise from here because he will be likely to ask questions

5.) Then ask him again: "Now , I we are going to die, are you sure you are going to heaven?" "(If he is not sure, review him  the last part again) "Do you want to accept God's forgiveness for you sins?" (If he answers yes then pray for him and let him follow you in the prayer of salvation:

Dear Lord,
I admit that I am a sinner. I have done many things that don’t please you. I have lived my life for myself. I am sorry and I repent. I ask you to forgive me. I believe that you died on the cross for me, to save me. You did what I could not do for myself. I come to you now and ask you to take control of my life, I give it to you. Help me to live every day in a way that pleases you. I love you, Lord, and I thank you that I will spend all eternity with you.

Amen

6.) Within 24 hours, call him. Then at 72 hours visit him in his home. We don't want to lose a lost soul. Bring him to church, be good friends with him, pray for him, pray with him, and most importantly: grow stronger in Christ with him

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »

To be sincere and a true friend....willing to listen or to help those in need or ill.....in my older years I have found this to be my way of sharing Christ.....that people are more apt to listen when they know you really care.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »

I let the Lord lead me each and every time. Yes, the Gospel is the same each time but the manner in which it is presented may be different. I try to listen to the person. See where they may be in their knowledge and where they may be in seeking or not. Showing them the love of God through us is an important portion of it. In all it must be how the Lord leads us.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:11:39 AM »

I love this thread already!!!   Everyone has good advice.  Letting the spirit lead is great advice PR.   

My wife and I recently purchased the "Way of the Master" evangelism kit.   I can't say enough about this program.   It has revolutionized not only my desire to reach the lost, but my ability to.  It is somewhat of a formulated approach to witnessing, but its Gospel truth, and is built on biblical methods that Jesus used when speaking to others.   

Its a simple principle that you can use when speaking to anyone without having to study various beliefs and religions etc.

You start out with normal converstation...how you doing etc.  Then you make a deliberate shift to the spiritual things, by either using a gospel tract, or asking them if they have a Christian background, or believe in God etc.

Then you ask them if they consider themselves to be a good person.  They always answer yes...lol
Say;
Ever told a lie?   
Yes! 
What does that make you?   
A liar.  (allow them to say this...that way they are admitting the guilt, rather than  you accusing them)

Ever stolen anything?  (even something small) 
Yes! 
What do call someone who steals? 
A thief!
Ever looked with lust? 
Yes. 
Jesus said if you look with lust you have committed adultery in your heart.

You can pretty much use any of the ten commandments you wish, and an honest person will admit their guilt.   This is called addressing a persons conscience....even people in distant countries, obscure tribes will know its wrong to lie, steal, commit adultry...because God gives light to all men in their heart/conscience.

After you ask these questions, say..."you yourself admit that your a liar, a thief, and adulterer at heart, when you stand before God facing His holy law, will you be innocent or guilty?"

Many will say innocent, "because God is merciful and would not condemn me to Hell."  You can then point out that they have violated the 2nd commandment by making a false image of God in their mind...one who is not biblical.   

Once they admit their guilt (which they have already by admitting to breaking Gods laws) You can ask them if they believe they would go to Heaven or Hell?   

If they say Heaven, ask them if they believe God should allow liars, thieves, adulterers into heaven?   An honest person will agree this wont happen.  If they say Hell, then magnify the Gospel!   Show them Christ took the punishment for their breaking Gods law, and paid for their freedom with His blood. 

This entire principle is built on...

Rom 3:19  Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Using the law as Jesus did in many examples of the Gospels.   Every man knows right from wrong.  And Jesus always gave Law to the proud (to shut their mouth and bring them to the knowledge of sin Rom 3:20 for by the law is the knowledge of sin.), or Grace to the humble.   

I have literally had unbelievers shaking their heads in agreement with me when asked...you know its wrong to lie don't you, you know its wrong to steal don't you?   And I have yet to run into the typical arguments of evolution etc.   

If they are wishy washy once you give them the truth of Grace, you can follow up with how they should value their souls.   Ask them, would you sell one of your eyes for a million bucks?  The answer will be no!  Because your eyes are valuable aren't they.   Your soul looks out of those eyes.....Jesus said you should despise the value of your eyes over the value of your soul when He said if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you.   And what does it profit a man, if He gain the whole world, and yet loose His soul.

I have seen the light come on in some peoples eyes when you give them this nugget of truth.   

Anyhow, thats been my approach.   Its a great program, I recommend anyone interested in evangelism, but may be having a hard time knowing what to say, or what to do.   Check out "way of the master" on the web.   Its an outstanding resource.   It will challenge you to get involved with sharing your faith, and it will give you courage, because you will be prepared with scirptural principles to do it!   Even has video clips showing actual witnessing on the street.

Blessings!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:16:30 AM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:55:16 AM »

I have seen the "Way of the Master" techniques and in fact have used them before I had even seen it. It is an excellent method.

Be careful using that fake money tract though, the FBI might get you.  Wink Cheesy Ridiculous what is going on with that, isn't it.

Not only do we see this principle in the verses that you mention but also in the following:

Gal 3:21  Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22  But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23  But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24  Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25  But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Praise God for His wonderful mercies!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:17:30 AM »

GREAT THREAD !!!!

Pastor Roger hit the nail right on the head.

Let the HOLY SPIRIT be your GUIDE. GOD always has a Word HE wants to get across to us, we always have to be alert, and train our spirit to be tuned in to GOD'S SPIRIT.

There are many different ways of witnessing to people. There is no right or wrong way. Each person is different and has different needs and different preferences. Each of us has the ability to witness to anyone, at anytime.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I find it suitable to mention it here as well.

One day after leaving Church I asked my husband to stop at a certain supermarket, where I had never been, I don't recall what I was going to buy, but I know that once I got into the store I totally forgot what I went in there for, so I slowly walked up and down the aisles trying to remember what I went there for. I didn't realize it, but I was singing a praise song. As I got to a certain aisle I felt that what I was looking for might be there so I sort of took my time while looking and singing all the time. Finally a lady who was standing nearby came to me with tears in her eyes and asked me "How is it that you are so happy?" I turned around and looked at her and saw her pain and suffering. I don't usually do this, but I was impelled to hug this woman, as I did she cried on my shoulder and told me that she had just buried her husband that week. I too had buried my 25 year old nephew, who had drowned that same week. As I shared with her my loss as well and my reason for my joy, I asked her if she knew Jesus Christ as her own Savior, she said she did. As we talked I realized that she was not placing her faith in Jesus, I asked her if she attended church she told me she had not been to church in a long time, at this point I invited her to my church, she told me she did not live in Florida, she was just here spending some time with her daughter because she did not want to go back home to an empty house. I gave her my phone number, we prayed and by the time I was done talking to her she was smiling and thanking GOD for sending me to her. Needless to say, I never did buy anything at the store, because I couldn't remember what I went there for. But I know that GOD sent me to that store for this woman.  Cheesy Cheesy I still pray for her. I had a real peace about what we talked about and I know the lady was also happier when we parted. By the way, she didn't know why she went to that store either she was just passing time.  Cheesy

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:22:52 AM »

LOL @ the fake money.   Those are my favorites....I have so much fun with those million dollar bills!   Cheesy    You can leave them sticking out of an a ATM dispenser, or just drop them anywhere.   But its fun to hand them to people as ice breakers too.  Or asking someone if they can break a large bill.....lol    AND, people will keep those unlike other type tracts that get discarded.   

Not only do we see this principle in the verses that you mention but also in the following:

Yes there's quite a few passages that go right along with the one you quoted PR.   I like this one...

Psa 19:7  The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

I had never really considered the Law as a witnessing tool in this fashion until I started studying this program.   It really does speak to a sinners heart in preparation for the Gospel.   Scripture even says that preaching of the Cross is foolishness to them who are perishing....

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Opening the veil of a sinful heart, and allowing Gods law to shine in with a few simple questions, reveals a sinners need for Gods Righteousness, through the blood stained cross, making the good news...GOOD NEWS INDEED!   I am so thankful to God for Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron's ministry....It has made a big impact on our life, and given us such a passion for the lost.   It really is a God send.

Tim

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:25:29 AM »

airIam2worship,

Great story, and example of following the Holy Spirits lead!

Tim

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »

The fake money tract is not a new idea. It has been around for many, many years. I remember having one as a child ( now that is old  Wink  ). I believe that it came out shortly after monopoly money did. Yet the IRS is now taking the Way of the Master group to court for using them with charges of counterfeiting. The way I see it is that they are just attempting to stop someone that is affectively witnessing for the Lord.

I like your ideas of how to use them. Yes, I haven't had anyone yet that turned one down.

Amen, Sister. Even in our own grief we can still be a wondrous witness.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

I heard the FBI gave Ray Comfort a visit...hadn't heard about the court thingy.  Should be a short case though.   Considering there's no such thing as a real million dollar bill...not sure how you can counterfeit something that doesn't exist...lol   On top of the fact that it says right on there "Not legal tender".   Cheesy    I think what happened was, some lady tried to deposit one in her bank account  Roll Eyes

Anyhow, It is nice to know folks at the IRS and FBI are getting the gospel shared with them too through this whole ordeal!    Grin

They have another tract designed for court which I haven't tried yet, but it sounds great.  It says on the front..."Your day in Court" what to expect!   He recommends showing up early when there's a line of people before the court house opens, and start at the front of the line handing them out saying, "please turn off your cell phones and pagers, and don't litter or you could be fined"...lol

The information really is about their day in court...GODS court!   Good stuff!   Cheesy

Tim

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »

GREAT THREAD !!!!

Pastor Roger hit the nail right on the head.

Let the HOLY SPIRIT be your GUIDE. GOD always has a Word HE wants to get across to us, we always have to be alert, and train our spirit to be tuned in to GOD'S SPIRIT.

There are many different ways of witnessing to people. There is no right or wrong way. Each person is different and has different needs and different preferences. Each of us has the ability to witness to anyone, at anytime.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I find it suitable to mention it here as well.

One day after leaving Church I asked my husband to stop at a certain supermarket, where I had never been, I don't recall what I was going to buy, but I know that once I got into the store I totally forgot what I went in there for, so I slowly walked up and down the aisles trying to remember what I went there for. I didn't realize it, but I was singing a praise song. As I got to a certain aisle I felt that what I was looking for might be there so I sort of took my time while looking and singing all the time. Finally a lady who was standing nearby came to me with tears in her eyes and asked me "How is it that you are so happy?" I turned around and looked at her and saw her pain and suffering. I don't usually do this, but I was impelled to hug this woman, as I did she cried on my shoulder and told me that she had just buried her husband that week. I too had buried my 25 year old nephew, who had drowned that same week. As I shared with her my loss as well and my reason for my joy, I asked her if she knew Jesus Christ as her own Savior, she said she did. As we talked I realized that she was not placing her faith in Jesus, I asked her if she attended church she told me she had not been to church in a long time, at this point I invited her to my church, she told me she did not live in Florida, she was just here spending some time with her daughter because she did not want to go back home to an empty house. I gave her my phone number, we prayed and by the time I was done talking to her she was smiling and thanking GOD for sending me to her. Needless to say, I never did buy anything at the store, because I couldn't remember what I went there for. But I know that GOD sent me to that store for this woman.  Cheesy Cheesy I still pray for her. I had a real peace about what we talked about and I know the lady was also happier when we parted. By the way, she didn't know why she went to that store either she was just passing time.  Cheesy

Amen, God does truly lead people across our path to help....and by being sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit and of the person's need, God can really use us.  When people are in any need such as this woman, I find they are much more open to hear the things of God.

In my younger years I often used the "3 Spiritual Laws" approach....(I have also seen The Way of the Master program on TBN a few times).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:36:56 PM by Debp » Logged

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:36:18 PM »

To witness effectively is to walk the talk...When friends, family are troubled..and especially when they do not have a prayer...they will seek you out..because they will know you are genuine by the way you live day by day...not just on Sunday and Wednesday night...but day by day...applying what God has instructed in His word to your life...We are to let our light shine before men..and lights do not make a sound, but the brightness draws people to the light when they are in darkness...It is easy to live for the Lord when things are going well but not so easy when things fall apart and believe me..people watch you and how you react to each circumstance...

Sincerely,
Maryjane
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »

To witness effectively is to walk the talk...When friends, family are troubled..and especially when they do not have a prayer...they will seek you out..because they will know you are genuine by the way you live day by day...not just on Sunday and Wednesday night...but day by day...applying what God has instructed in His word to your life...We are to let our light shine before men..and lights do not make a sound, but the brightness draws people to the light when they are in darkness...It is easy to live for the Lord when things are going well but not so easy when things fall apart and believe me..people watch you and how you react to each circumstance...

Sincerely,
Maryjane

Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »

ANOTHER AMEN MARYJANE!

Beautiful and SO TRUE!

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »

Most of the witnessing I do has been by having God place me in the right place at the right time. I have done special programs in churches and have spoken one on one to people I have met by accident or of people who have come to me for help. My parent's taught me to care for and be friends with all people regardless of race or color. Growing up many of my friends were the ones no one else wanted. Some were poor, disabled, had freckles, the quiet or shy ones etc..........the forgotten ones. My mother always  said of me that I  put everyone else before myself. I had never thought about i, I was just doing what I had learned about how we should live our lives from the Bible. I truly believe that "LOVE" of others is more important than "LOVE" of self.
When you strive to live a good Christian life, people who see this want to know more and will listen when you speak about God, and learn something from it that they in turn can apply to their lives.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the