Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  the sabbath ( what day saterday or sunday)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: the sabbath ( what day saterday or sunday)  (Read 12482 times)
Jemdude

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »

The sabbath travel law allowed for travel of a distance less than a mile. One that is pointed out is in John 9:1-9 Where both Jesus healed the blind man with clay and spittle. In this example though it does not state how far they traveled on that sabbath.

If we look to Paul's travels though we see many times where traveled long distances that would have required traveling on the sabbath in order to arrive in the time it says he did. Acts 16 (the scripture that I mentioned above) is just one of these examples.

AMEN!

With the many changes that man has implemented in the calendars from the original to the one we follow today it is difficult to tell what day of the week is actually the Sabbath. There has been many lengthy studies done on this and as of yet there is no definitive answer.

I don't see the Acts 16 scripture that you say you quoted. Besides, I don't think that Paul would have traveled long distances on the Sabbath. I think he got to those places by traveling on Sunday and the other working days.

As for calendar changes, I've been taught that they did not alter the weekly cycle. I've heard of one change where the calendar days were "fast forwarded" (1, 2, 3, 4, 15, 16, 17, 18. . . ), but such a change did not alter the weekly cycle. I don't think that God, who wanted people to keep the Sabbath (or even Sunday if you believe that is the day of Christian worship) would allow man to "loose track" of the day of worship.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »

Quote from: Jemdude
Besides, I don't think that Paul would have traveled long distances on the Sabbath. I think he got to those places by traveling on Sunday and the other working days.

How do you think the Word was spread, on the Sabbath?  How do you think that Paul could travel those distances of 36 miles in one day?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »

I don't see the Acts 16 scripture that you say you quoted.

Acts 16:2 to be precise but read the rest of the adjoining verses.

How do you think the Word was spread, on the Sabbath?  How do you think that Paul could travel those distances of 36 miles in one day?

Many of his travels were even longer than that and would have taken more than a week to get there.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 09:28:35 AM »

Actually Jemdude the calender has changed many times over the years.  What we run off of now is the Julian Calendar, named after Julius Ceasar.  Before then the Roman Calendar was a mess and chaotic.  Days were added here and there for various reasons.  We honestly at this point cannot be certain what happened to the calendar or what sort of mess it looked like over the years.  That is why Julius felt he had to come in and clean it up.

Until then the Jews followed the spirit of the Sabbath in that they would work 6 days and then take a day of rest.  No one knows what day that would have fallen on.  Tradition puts it on what we would call Saturday.  But no one is for certain, even many Jewish historians do not know for certain.  They only accept that their ancestors kept up with the traditions.  They did not follow a specific day but they followed the work 6 off 1 structure.

And I would agree that God wants us to keep the sabbath, for our own benefits.  I believe that we are not under the OT Sabbath Laws however.  We are free to travel or whatever, however I do believe that God wants us to not work 7 days a week because that would burn us out, and we would lose our focus.  I believe that God wants us to take that 7th day and get our focus back. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 10:29:55 AM »

Studying the changes in the calendars down through the years is a long and arduous study. It has changed many times by many different nations, including the Hebrews. The days have changed from start time to end time and weeks have changed varying from 4 days to 8 days with months also varying in number sometimes being 13 months to a year.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »

OK Jemdude, lets dispense with all the wrangling.

In your view, is it necessary to observe the sabbath 'as you have described', to be saved?   Yes or no will do.

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Okie

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007, 12:26:04 AM »

The Sabbath is on Saturday.

I will disagree. Sunday used to be the last day of the week. The Sabath or seventh. I think it was one of the Ceasars who changed the days on the calandar to make Sunday the first day of the week. This was along about the time they were renaming months afte themselves.

This is a real good example of giving unto Ceasar that which is his, so don't worry about the calander saying Sunday is first. Keep, it and every other day Holy, and you are also giving God that which is his. Cool
Greg F

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2007, 06:42:28 AM »

I enjoyed this thread very much.  My wife is a former Seventh Day Adventist with only good things to say about the Adventists and particularly the fellowship within the church.  We keep a Sunday sabbath. Since I am not sure it is a commandment that still applies, we sometimes fall away from it, and I feel the loss when we do.  One of the benefits of the sabbath for me is the other 6 days, and particularly Saturday, since I know the sabbath is coming I can keep going and keep working, since they are not the day of rest.  I tend to get more done when keeping the sabbath and I tend to feel closer to God.  I look at the sabbath as a gift and a reminder.

I am ashamed to say that once, when I was a very new Christian and didn't even really understand the basics of it, a neighbor asked for help on the sabbath, an older lady whose husband was ill, and she wanted her car washed . . . I was washing mine . . . and the sun was going down and sabbath as we keep it was approaching.  I said "Can I do it tommorrow" or some such.  Tommorrow came and they were out and it just fell away and I didn't help.  This was before I had read the whole Bible, but even then I should have known that we can to a certainty do good works on the sabbath.  Was very ashamed when I figured it out.

I am glad for this thread because I've always found Matthew 19 interesting, when the rich man approaches Jesus: 

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"  "Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

"Which ones?" the man inquired.

Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother, and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'"

"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth."

What I have found interesting about this is that Christ named only certain of the commandments and they did not include the sabbath.  All the others that he left out seem to me to fall within "love your neighbor as yourself" or the young man selling his possessions and following Christ (which is basically, to me, giving the 1st commandment to place God first and worship no other Gods).  So . . . we are left, I think, with Christ naming every commandment EXCEPT the sabbath.

I am curious as to your opinions on this.
faithgranny

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »

AMEN
Numbers 29:35 On the eighth day you shall have a solemn assembly; you shall do no servile work.

The eighth day, sunday....... But I agree with 2T, I observe the Lord every day.

In refence to (b) the 8th day is part of the seventh month Numbers 29:17 - 40.  The 8th day is not Sunday. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 04:21:08 PM »

Numbers 29 is speaking of the Feast of Tabernacles or Sukkot. This was a celebration held in the month of Tisri (seventh month) starting on the 15th of that month. The first day was to be a Sabbath (a day of rest) and so was the 8th day. Either day may have been on any day of the week depending on where the 15th of the month fell in any given year. If a regular Sabbath fell in between it was not observed as such but was recognized instead on the first and eighth day of the feast.

Lev 23:39  Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.

We see from this that a day of rest was not always on the same day of the week.

Sabbath (in Hebrew shābath and in Greek sabbaton) means "to rest".

What is the Christians "rest". It is today, not a specified day of the week but today, right now, that we must enter into His rest. In Him we rest daily.

Mat 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Heb 4:3  For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4  For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5  And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6  Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
Heb 4:7  Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Heb 4:8  For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9  There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10  For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11  Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Gal 2:16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Eph 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Gal 3:2  This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Gal 3:3  Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »

Amen PR

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »

Hi,
     late in the discussion here I read through most of the responses and first wanted to say, Sabbath on Sat or Sabbath on Sun shouldn't"t divide believers. What ever day you choice to keep holy or worship, the seventh or the first day it is a simple fact that we are directed by the word to keep it. Does it say any where in the scriptures that we aren't to worship on Sunday?

What I have always been taught is early Christians worshiped on Sunday because they wanted to separate from the Jewish believers. It makes perfect horse sense to believe this since a major population of the Jews  DID not believe Jesus was the son of God, and were persecuting Christians. Being followers of Christ kinda branded the early christians but all this was in God plan as well, we scattered and the word spread, God is so smart Grin. The early Christians didn't have a "place" to worship and ended up having home churches such as Paul describes in Rom. 16:5
Greet also the church that meets at their house. speaking about Priscilla and Aquila.

Paul is having troulbe with the Jewish believes in Act 18:5-7. Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. 6) But when the Jews opposed Paul and became abusive, he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them, "Your blood be on your own heads!" I am clear of my responsibility. From now on I will go to the Gentiles. 7) Then Paul left the synagogue and went next door to the house of Titius Justus, a worshiper of God....
Again in Acts 20:20 Paul says... taught you publicly and house to house.

I guess I don't truly understand what the debate is about? Is worshipping on the Sunday going to send anyone to hell? So anyway that is my two cents worth. 

blessings,
musicllover

musicllover
faithgranny

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 01:10:17 PM »

Hi,
     late in the discussion here I read through most of the responses and first wanted to say, Sabbath on Sat or Sabbath on Sun shouldn't"t divide believers. What ever day you choice to keep holy or worship, the seventh or the first day it is a simple fact that we are directed by the word to keep it. Does it say any where in the scriptures that we aren't to worship on Sunday?

What I have always been taught is early Christians worshiped on Sunday because they wanted to separate from the Jewish believers. It makes perfect horse sense to believe this since a major population of the Jews  DID not believe Jesus was the son of God, and were persecuting Christians. Being followers of Christ kinda branded the early christians but all this was in God plan as well, we scattered and the word spread, God is so smart Grin. The early Christians didn't have a "place" to worship and ended up having home churches such as Paul describes in Rom. 16:5
Greet also the church that meets at their house. speaking about Priscilla and Aquila.

Paul is having troulbe with the Jewish believes in Act 18:5-7. Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. 6) But when the Jews opposed Paul and became abusive, he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them, "Your blood be on your own heads!" I am clear of my responsibility. From now on I will go to the Gentiles. 7) Then Paul left the synagogue and went next door to the house of Titius Justus, a worshiper of God....
Again in Acts 20:20 Paul says... taught you publicly and house to house.

I guess I don't truly understand what the debate is about? Is worshipping on the Sunday going to send anyone to hell? So anyway that is my two cents worth. 

blessings,
musicllover

Amen to you.  I choose to worship on Saturday.  It is my belief. It is my stand and if it is meant to be a mystery then we will all know about in the end.  For me it matters a lot and for any of you Sunday matters a lot.  I tell people that I witness to that I am not trying to bring them into my church I am helping them to know Jesus.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2007, 08:31:47 PM »

I am helping them to know Jesus

AMEN!!!!!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 04:01:19 AM »

Amen to you.  I choose to worship on Saturday.  It is my belief. It is my stand and if it is meant to be a mystery then we will all know about in the end.  For me it matters a lot and for any of you Sunday matters a lot.  I tell people that I witness to that I am not trying to bring them into my church I am helping them to know Jesus.
I worship every day, as our Saviour is worthy of worship all the time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the